Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #61
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndneyez is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Oh my gosh! I love this thread!....lol

I dance women's tradishs so getting on beat is pretty crucial. There's not really any way to play it off because it's pretty obvious when you start off wrong! Trust me, I've been guilty of this more times that I'd like to admit.....but I do "fix it" on the downbeats!....lol

But to be serious, I've learned how important it is to get on beat and to stay on beat. When I judge that's what I look for. I don't judge on beadwork or name alone! It's really unfair when I see this happen and it does happen all the time! We can't fool ourselves and say we don't notice it when we're judging...because we do. The difference is those of us who are honest enough to judge fairly!

With that said, I also know that there are drums that have "off" days or are just plain terrible! We all know what I'm talking about! Those of that dance and have a drum and their beat skips around................Admit it!! We hate it!....lol This is where it is so important to have judges that know what to both look and listen for.
ndneyez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2005, 12:31 PM   #62
Snaggable

Ojibway05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i see it alot when ask the ladies fancy to do crow style, not crow hop. i like to ask alot of questions when i see a dance style that i am not familiar with.
I know what you mean Big gurl brain! I had to judge a ladies fancy crow this past summer and I had to ask someone what to look for I feel the same way when I watch women's jingle too though. I kinda gasp when I see some of the ladies dance, (and the ones who place) its evolved into fancy dance.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #63
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Talking

I thought I'd post so I could get more bad rep from all my haters on this thread... Really geez just grow up.

I've been powwowing for a long time and have had to judge many contests. Usually if my friends and or family are dancing then I ask to be excused, I don't ever judge based on popularity or who has the prettiest outfit etc., theres a lot of criteria that a person has to possess before I mark them on my ballot. If a person dances offbeat, I watch to see how graceful they get back on beat again.

So whoever thinks I'm an unfair judge, you obviously don't know me and read my posts wrong.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #64
Hokaaah Grassin'

jumpingbuffalo is a jewel in the rough
I didn't get to read the whole thread buuuuut I have a comment...I see this a bit and since I've been judging a lil more usual lately, I remember thinking a few times "Whoa that person is off beat real bad" but then realized from my dancing experience that I remember I was accused of that one time by a fren o mine during a contest song and after thinking about it I replied, "No, I was dead on." Soooo in comes the science...aaaand the SPPEEEED OF SOUNNND...
Judge the distance from the drum to the dancer and yourself....you'll notice that ESPECIALLY W/ PA Systems that they may be right on by your ears & the processing of that sound by your brain AND if you have a keen sense of timing you may realize that dancer IS in fact Right On.

This is my own evaluation of this scenario. Not all dancers can use this to defend them. But I have heard dancers complain about reverb and Echo's by a PA system and worse yet Sucky PA systems VS the actual drums boom and then of course other drums that aren't singing but practicing yet it's still loud enough to throw the dancer, AD pls step in!

Hokaaah yeah.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #65
Tiny Tot Dancer

churrakeesweetheart has a spectacular aura about
!@#$%

here is my nickle's worth... a person can have the most beautiful footwork, shawl-work, dance all smooth... none of it matters if this person can't keep time. when judging...say... jr. girls fancy or jingle, sometimes all little girls are about the same level of experience. i look for the one who stays on the right beat the longest. those are the ones who have the most potential, in my eyes. granted at that age, they ALL have potential. but there is a buddy of mine, my sister and i have watched him over the years... we say, "he stayed on beat most of the time..." or else, "dang, he danced off-beat all weekend,,," when he been dancing for 15 years!! we wonder honestly if he will ever learn, seems maybe he should have by now... rhythm, i think, is something that you have already, i don't know if it can be acquired. same as some people can sing, others can't. some can play basketball, some can't. (i know I can't, lol...) some people can keep time, others just can't. i know of another example, a guy who been dancing since he was walking... he's grown now, loves to dance, STILL has no sense of time whatsoever... but he loves dancing, how a dancer should love dancing. he's out there EVERY. SINGLE. INTERTRIBAL. that's where the judging line gets faded... you know? but since this isn't a thread about judging... or is it? i dunno, i forgot now...lol. some people love to dance but have no rhythm. it's perplexing,..
churrakeesweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 AM   #66
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by churrakeesweetheart
here is my nickle's worth... a person can have the most beautiful footwork, shawl-work, dance all smooth... none of it matters if this person can't keep time. ... rhythm, i think, is something that you have already, i don't know if it can be acquired. some people can keep time, others just can't. i know of another example, a guy who been dancing since he was walking... he's grown now, loves to dance, STILL has no sense of time whatsoever... but he loves dancing, how a dancer should love dancing. he's out there EVERY. SINGLE. INTERTRIBAL. that's where the judging line gets faded... you know? but since this isn't a thread about judging... or is it? i dunno, i forgot now...lol. some people love to dance but have no rhythm. it's perplexing,..
I agree with churrakeesweetheart. I know of at least a few champion dancers who cannot keep time to save their lives. Love dancing, bless their hearts, but are unable to keep time. I remember a long time ago, my adopted uncle was telling me how he admired one dancer and their dancing. I asked him if he'd ever watched this dancers feet to see if the dancer was keeping time, because every time I watched this dancer, the dancer was way out of time. The next time I saw my uncle he said, "You were right, I never noticed it before." My guess is that judges get caught up watching how the dancer's outfit moves, watch their arm movements, or other things and neglect to watch the dancers feet.

I love watching people who love to dance regardless of whether they are in time or not. It is however a little confusing to me how some dancers win consistently when they are very rarely in time. And I'm not talking about dancing on the "off-beat" out of time. To me that is understandable on some occasions or with some dance styles of different tribes. I'm talking about the drum having one beat and the dancer dancing either way slower or faster than that beat. Those are the dancers I'm talking about that win that in my opinion can't keep time. It gets kind of tricky I guess for some judges though who may watch that dancer for the few beats that they are "in-time", but then don't see them for the rest of the song when they are out of time.
ndnMSW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #67
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingbuffalo
Judge the distance from the drum to the dancer and yourself....you'll notice that ESPECIALLY W/ PA Systems that they may be right on by your ears & the processing of that sound by your brain AND if you have a keen sense of timing you may realize that dancer IS in fact Right On.

This is my own evaluation of this scenario. Not all dancers can use this to defend them. But I have heard dancers complain about reverb and Echo's by a PA system and worse yet Sucky PA systems VS the actual drums boom and then of course other drums that aren't singing but practicing yet it's still loud enough to throw the dancer, AD pls step in!

Hokaaah yeah.
I remember one year dancing contest up at Schemitzun and our song seemed to keep changing beat. It was tough to stay on the "on" beat because it seemed to keep changing. That's tough to dance to, but we were still able to keep in time with the beat of the drum, if that makes any sense(meaning most of us didin't get behind or ahead of the beat, we just couldn't find the "on" beat.......lol).

I remember too after that, Vern from Pipestone Creek approached me and asked me about that contest song they sang and asked if I had trouble with the song. He asked if I kept hearing a "double beat" all through it. I told him I did, that I had a little trouble with it, but thought it might just be me. He explained to me that the PA speakers were real close to where the microphone was being held, so the mic was picking up the beat from the speaker in addition to the beat from the drum, so that's why the song sounded like that. He apologized to me and said he was worried that might happen, but would work with the sound people to fix that. So I guess that's something to take into consideration too when judging a dance contest, like jumpingbuffalo said.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:39 AM   #68

Christmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond reputeChristmas Snow has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 313.43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndneyez
Oh my gosh! I love this thread!....lol

I dance women's tradishs so getting on beat is pretty crucial. There's not really any way to play it off because it's pretty obvious when you start off wrong! Trust me, I've been guilty of this more times that I'd like to admit.....but I do "fix it" on the downbeats!....lol

But to be serious, I've learned how important it is to get on beat and to stay on beat. When I judge that's what I look for. I don't judge on beadwork or name alone! It's really unfair when I see this happen and it does happen all the time! We can't fool ourselves and say we don't notice it when we're judging...because we do. The difference is those of us who are honest enough to judge fairly!

With that said, I also know that there are drums that have "off" days or are just plain terrible! We all know what I'm talking about! Those of that dance and have a drum and their beat skips around................Admit it!! We hate it!....lol This is where it is so important to have judges that know what to both look and listen for.
this is a good thread!
Christmas Snow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #69
Tiny Tot Dancer

churrakeesweetheart has a spectacular aura about
heehee, what about singers? they have to have a sense of time and the best ears for rhythmn in the business... and there are like one or two of em who get out there and dance like, intertribal, or honor song and they re off beat! and look like they are dancing to their own mental little song... that's funny. i bet that song in their head is the prettiest song anyone has ever heard tho, right? ... you know what tho. crazy pats on the back for anyone who dances just cuz they like to...off-beat or not...long live the trail...
churrakeesweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #70
Teen Dancer

Lol....that reminds of one time again up at Schemitzun. My honey and I were watching our video tape of one of the men's contests and one dancer was dancing WAAAYYYY faster than the drum......but about halfway through the song he got tired and started to slow down and THEN he was dancing in time with the drum......lol. He did look like he was enjoying himself though, dancing hard, so I guess that's what counts.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #71
Junior Dancer

MAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakeeya
Please remove my friends name from your post Janell. Or mods can you delete it? Thanks
Can you put that name back in there....so we can see who it is.....LOL!
MAD SKILLZ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #72
Junior Dancer

MAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond reputeMAD SKILLZ has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I like watching jingle and tradish......when some are off-beat.....LOL!! Looks like a teeter-totter!!!
MAD SKILLZ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #73
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

"wahhhhhh....you must be sooooo popular!"

This was on one of my reps, but whoever gave it to me didn't have enough to make it red so it was only grey Too damn funny and childish but I am pretty sure I know who she is
Old 11-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #74
Tiny Tot Dancer

3StarsWoman has a spectacular aura about
Smile kitty kat

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrah!
Kitty kats
let's stick to the thread and not chase it like a bunch of fiesty skat kats after a ball of string.
It's great discussion aside from the hissing.
3StarsWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #75
Tiny Tot Dancer

scorpiostwin11_76 has a spectacular aura about
First of all, why you gotta bust someone out like that? I know we all have our opinions about different things, but things that happen like that on a website such as this, may jeopardize the privilages we get on this website.

I was told by my uncles that you dance on beat, they also told me that the songs themselves have a lot to do with the drum beat. Everyone probably learned different things while growing up. When I danced I started dancing when the drum started, and listened to the singing at the same time. I think it all goes hand in hand.

As for dancing off beat...can't say that I really know if there are dancers that intentionally dance of beat because of a certain style or tribal origin.
scorpiostwin11_76 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #76
tiny tot champion

sunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond repute
you don't know me

Quote:
"wahhhhhh....you must be sooooo popular!"

This was on one of my reps, but whoever gave it to me didn't have enough to make it red so it was only grey Too damn funny and childish but I am pretty sure I know who she is

I gave you that REP because I thought you needed some attention and I was right because you cut and pasted it here.
It is childish. Compared to you, I am probably a child.
sunkato is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #77
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan's boo
I gave you that REP because I thought you needed some attention and I was right because you cut and pasted it here.
It is childish. Compared to you, I am probably a child.
Wow... I got a lot of hate rep on this thread all cuz I didn't think it was cool for someones name to be mentioned cuz she was getting ridiculed. But no worries I got good rep too but anyway who cares it's all good.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #78
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Wow... I got a lot of hate rep on this thread all cuz I didn't think it was cool for someones name to be mentioned cuz she was getting ridiculed. But no worries I got good rep too but anyway who cares it's all good.
i just re-read this thread and it's not that your friend was being "ridiculed" - i don't know you or your friend (didn't "catch" the thread in it's infancy to read the girl's name). someone just brought to everyone's attention. and everyone just kinda said "yea i never noticed that" or more or less agreed with the comment.

maybe your friend should re-evaluate her style if it's apparently that "noticeable" ... or just keep on dancing noticeably off beat and more and more ppl can take note of it ... and you'll have to continue to defend her
Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 PM   #79
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
It's not like I have to defend her cuz honestly I never noticed her dancing ability. I've never watched her for any great length of time and never judged her. All I know is that her name was put out there and I didn't think that was cool at all.

FYI - It's not cool for peoples names to be put on the board like that and a person could be banned for that stuff here, this isn't ndn sports. Maybe childish things can float over there but there not supposed to fly here isn't that why all the mods are here?

Anyway
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #80
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Smile

I keep getting bad rep from people that say they don't care what I have to say but they don't leave their name. SO I disabled my rep and if you feel the need to say crappy things to me then go ahead and pm me, at least I"ll know who you are. and we can communicate like that okay?????

Sponsored Links