Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
laokie is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
[QUOTE=superndngyrl;1315854]
They tried to shake it up on us Saturday afternoon by beginning some of the adult contests right before supper break. Everyone was wearing their non-contest clothes so I seen lotsa peeps throwing stuff on and changing stuff out. They wouldn't be straight up about who's next. On Sunday, they just started yelling out tie breakers right before the tie breaker so you didn't really get a chance to tie stuff on before you had to be out there. They had 2 groups for some of the contests but didn't have danceoffs in them. that always seems wierd to me.

That sounds like Randy Pico's brilliant idea! I chose to go someplace else that weekend, some place called Carnegie, but I heard some of the shenanigans he had going on............as usual!! Maybe some day they'll wake up and get somebody who knows what they are doing to run the powwow before he ruins it for them completely! It's already ruined because of him, but one of these days.........nobody may show up!!! But then again, as long as they pay good prize money............... Oh and I also heard that once again their winners were screwed up again!!!! Every year it's the same thing. I think most have learned that once you pick up your winnings.....GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE FAST!!! Or......if you hear your name called to come back up to the speaker stand...........DON'T GO! They probably want their money back cause you really didn't win!!!!! haha
Old 07-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #22
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I heard this all happened to. Crazy mix up in Grass, but heard the Pico guy made it right and compensated for the mistake. That's very professional cause I know a lotta pwow committees wouldn't do that! Yeah, some pwows keep you on your toes so you should be ready anyway. Only sounds like they contested one day so what's one day of being on your toes and chillen for the rest of the weekend. Still sounded like it was a good pwow. Too bad I didn't go and changed my plans for Lame Deer...(what was I thinking!) oh well, next year.

[QUOTE=laokie;1316263]
Quote:
Originally Posted by superndngyrl View Post
They tried to shake it up on us Saturday afternoon by beginning some of the adult contests right before supper break. Everyone was wearing their non-contest clothes so I seen lotsa peeps throwing stuff on and changing stuff out. They wouldn't be straight up about who's next. On Sunday, they just started yelling out tie breakers right before the tie breaker so you didn't really get a chance to tie stuff on before you had to be out there. They had 2 groups for some of the contests but didn't have danceoffs in them. that always seems wierd to me.

That sounds like Randy Pico's brilliant idea! I chose to go someplace else that weekend, some place called Carnegie, but I heard some of the shenanigans he had going on............as usual!! Maybe some day they'll wake up and get somebody who knows what they are doing to run the powwow before he ruins it for them completely! It's already ruined because of him, but one of these days.........nobody may show up!!! But then again, as long as they pay good prize money............... Oh and I also heard that once again their winners were screwed up again!!!! Every year it's the same thing. I think most have learned that once you pick up your winnings.....GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE FAST!!! Or......if you hear your name called to come back up to the speaker stand...........DON'T GO! They probably want their money back cause you really didn't win!!!!! haha
Tradancur is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #23
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradancur View Post
Yeah, I heard this all happened to. Crazy mix up in Grass, but heard the Pico guy made it right and compensated for the mistake. That's very professional cause I know a lotta pwow committees wouldn't do that! Yeah, some pwows keep you on your toes so you should be ready anyway. Only sounds like they contested one day so what's one day of being on your toes and chillen for the rest of the weekend. Still sounded like it was a good pwow. Too bad I didn't go and changed my plans for Lame Deer...(what was I thinking!) oh well, next year.

Guess you will find out for yourself then......
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #24
southern style

fretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,137.97
DRUM CONTEST

1st. Buck Wild

2nd. ???

3rd. West Coast Singers

Other Drums:

White Cloud Singers

Shush Bi To, Jr.'s

Humming Bird Singers

Thats all I remember. (There were 10 drums total in the drum contest)

Drums were judged friday nite and saturday afternoon. Top 3 were taken out into the middle on sunday for the final judging.

The pow wow was pretty good, Randy Pico just kept a low profile, didn't talk to much on the p.a.

There were 3 Arena Directors listed but another was added at the pow wow (Norman Pico, Jr.), making it 4 A.D.'s Randy Pico had the last say on any decision, the other A.D.'s were just "go-fer's".

It was a real good pow wow, the committee did a excellent job, with the supper on saturday, plenty of water for the dancers & singers and the fireworks were just awesome. The weather was a little warm. There was a little mix up in the men's grass.
fretg is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #25
Junior Dancer

hutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond reputehutsibah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 283.11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretg View Post
DRUM CONTEST

1st. Buck Wild

2nd. ???

3rd. West Coast Singers

Other Drums:

White Cloud Singers

Shush Bi To, Jr.'s

Humming Bird Singers

Thats all I remember. (There were 10 drums total in the drum contest)

Drums were judged friday nite and saturday afternoon. Top 3 were taken out into the middle on sunday for the final judging.

The pow wow was pretty good, Randy Pico just kept a low profile, didn't talk to much on the p.a.

There were 3 Arena Directors listed but another was added at the pow wow (Norman Pico, Jr.), making it 4 A.D.'s Randy Pico had the last say on any decision, the other A.D.'s were just "go-fer's".

It was a real good pow wow, the committee did a excellent job, with the supper on saturday, plenty of water for the dancers & singers and the fireworks were just awesome. The weather was a little warm. There was a little mix up in the men's grass.
Sounds like you're a Pico fan
hutsibah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #26
southern style

fretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutsibah View Post
Sounds like you're a Pico fan
Not really, don't know the guy. Just enjoyed the pow wow and don't get caught up in all the drama.

Drum contest 2nd place was "All Nations"
Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
caligal

caligal79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 840.00
I thought it was Horse Thieves (Thief?) that took 2nd? At least that's who I remember went out in "the middle." Anyway, I told my boyfriend not to go, but he still wanted to go sing, even if it was just practice. The only thing we enjoyed were the peon games at night. At least he had fun doing that The fireworks were good, but that was about it. I felt bad for the the Fancy Shawl and Jingle Dress dancers that were told there contest was "coming up......." and were waiting all night. Then, out of the blue, at around 11:30pm Saturday night they announce, "Ok, your contest is moved until tomorrow." Oh well

Last edited by caligal79; 07-09-2009 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Left something out
caligal79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #28
Tiny Tot Dancer

laokie is a glorious beacon of light
Randy Pico has the final say in EVERYTHING that goes on at that powwow! Down to who's borrowing who's outfit......... And I heard that he wasn't as bad as in previous years in getting up on the mike and chewing people out for whatever BUT that he did interrupt a couple of specials to tell someone to move their car! Did that to my niece during her special, right in the middle he grabbed the mike to make some stupid announcement........I said it's a good thing I wasn't there, I would've stopped the idiot and let him know that you don't do that in the middle of anybody's special!
And about that mix up at the end. They didn't have a choice when it came to fixin the mix-up! That happens every year, I think most have learned to get the money and run.........literally! Cause the first time that happened, they called people back up, didn't tell them why they wanted them back up there, but once they got up there they told them that there was a mistake and that they weren't the winners and took their money back! The next year....the same thing! Now they all know....get your money and get out of there!! It's the tabulators/powwow committee's mistake, let them make up the difference. Probably a good idea to check your points, you just might be a winner!!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #29
southern style

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligal79 View Post
I thought it was Horse Thieves (Thief?) that took 2nd? At least that's who I remember went out in "the middle."
Your right, I stand corrected. Horse Thief was 2nd place.

Some of the dancers that won, I could not figured out how in the world they placed. But Randy was picking the judges.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #30
Jinglemama

Jinglemama07 is an unknown quantity at this point
dang sounds like this guy is nothing but pure drama and power hungry.....what other pw's is he ad? i think i will make sure i don't go lol.
Jinglemama07 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #31
Jinglin' Mama

Ol'Styler has a reputation beyond repute
Ol'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond reputeOl'Styler has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, typical Pechanga powwow. I dont think the Picos AD anywhere else, just their own powwow. I doubt they'd get away with alotta tha boooooshizz they pull at any other powwow. I heard some good stories about this past one too. One of my cuz's said one of the host/invited drums sang a Lakota word song about WARRIORS for a LITTLE BOYS contest. He was shaking his head at that one. And Oh... what's up with the 3 seperate age groups for kids. little boys/girls, young ones, and then teen ones. Adults to 54, golden age and golden golden age. And I don't see why they bring in people to fill positions like AD/Head Dance Judge if they're just going to run it their own way. It's kinda like they're just paying those people to use their name on the flyer. tsk. Micromanagers. Pretty soon, no one's gonna wana work with them. lol AND THEN... (lol), it was overheard that one of the Pico guys said.. *THE FIREWORKS DONT GO OFF TIL I SAY SO!* lolol Sorry, had to share that one. I was cracking up.

That powwow makes about as much sense as Wookies on Endor.

... lol. ok. im done tellin stories. lol
Ol'Styler is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

kiowagirl15 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
[QUOTE=fretg;1316459]

Were we at the same pw??? Cause I kept hearing his dang voice like every half hr!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #33
caligal

caligal79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 840.00
Were we at the same pw??? Cause I kept hearing his dang voice like every half hr![/QUOTE]

Yup, I think I've heard Pechanga referred to as the Pico Show.....but, does anyone have any other contest results? Wanted to know how some peeps placed. We left before the pow wow was over.
caligal79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #34
P.I.T.A.

LollyPop is a jewel in the rough
I remember a few winners...

men's fancy:
1. Julian Phoenix
2. Skye McMichael

women's northern cloth:
1. Maurissa Two Two
Leya and J'shen got in there some where.
5. Lisa LeDeaux-Begay

womens so cloth:
1. Amy NoEar
2. ?? Murphy

womens northern buckskin:
I only remember Summer B gittin in there. 1st i think...

womens so buckskin:
1. Kheri-Jane (I think. i heard her name called lol)

women's fancy shawl:
1. Tawny Hale
2. Verna Street
3. Jolynn Begay
4. Bessie Medecine Bird
5. Heidi Navarro

(I might have 4th & 5th switched)

I don't remember any of men's grass, or northern tradish.

Sadie Red Eagle = 2nd in young girls jingle.

On a positive note, the food was much better this year. We ate off the kids menu tho, lol. Mac n cheese (with some crumbly goodness on top of it), tater tots and chicken tenders lol The Hubs added mini corn dogs lol. And WOWZERS, there was hecka lotta canopys. Randy Pico was definitely on the mic every free chance he got. They should just have themselves (the Pico Sow) be the MC, AD, HDJ, HSJ and host/invited drums instead of inviting people in. Geez!

Last edited by LollyPop; 07-10-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: forgot a word
LollyPop is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links