Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk is it possible to go to powwow if i'm not a native? is it possible to go to powwow if i'm not a native?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
clochette is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,716.50
Savings: 0.00
I know I have a romantic vision of your people, but I am well aware that this is not exactly the reality of things in life.
it does not prevent I like to hear the sound of drums, songs, and it makes me want to dance, and I would like to have the honor to share this moment that would pounr me a moment of intense joy .
.when I went to Pine Ridge, was in 1998, 14 years ago, I was younger and less informed than now. But I enjoyed every moment that I spent. I want to dance came to As the years. At the time I was ignorant of many things I learned from. but there are probably things that I do not know yet, so I still learning so as not to shock people or disrespect.
I thank you for your response and I wish you a good day
with my friendly from France

Last edited by clochette; 03-19-2012 at 05:52 PM..
clochette is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome clochette! I took French in High School. I don't remember much, but I can still say, Halo!

Forgive me if I ask questions you have already answered. I haven't read all the posts yet.

You made your dress already? I hope you had an adviser, and I mean an ndn adviser, to help you.

Are you planning to dance in France or in the Americas? (U.S. or Canada, or south of the border).

Ndns are pure???? Oh man!
You need to talk to JD or Soopa, or TTechno, or just about everyone else here.
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #23
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
I'm confused, you said you had been to Pine Ridge when you were younger and you failed to learn anything that would now help you with what to do at a pow wow.

I like French cheese and I love Italian opera. That doesn't mean that I run off to Italy or France with a traditional dress of the region just to hear the sound of the opera or smell/taste the cheese.

I certianly don't think that all Frenchmen are walking around with berets and tri-coleur cockades, singing Marseilles and using the guillotine to counter their enemies, nor do I think that you have little Napoleans running about declaring war.

I also do not think that Italians are still in the Renaissaince or all Mafia members. Why is it that we can tell the stereotypes and you people from Europe can not distinguish one of our tribes from another, realize that we too have developed along with most of North America and aren't the same people that your poets and authors wrote about 400 years ago?

If I want to hear an opera, then I go buy the CD and yes, many of our drum groups sell their own CDs... if you like the music that much, then go support these guys and buy their CDs. I don't need to contact a group of French cheese makers or Italian opera singer and tell them I think they are a race of purity... that would be condescending at the very least. How could you even imagine that what you are saying isn't as condescending as it comes?

Seriously, I hear from people like you all the time and every time it's the same thing, we (meaning First Nation) are all earthy, natural and pure and we commune with nature and do ceremony and dance. You do realize that pow wows are but one single type of dancing we do here - don't you? If we are not what you expect, and by that I mean the green, nature loving, child like people you imagine us to be, you go away and suffer huge disappointment (ask Groggy about that - he hates the idea I support the oil industry here in Alberta and I figure climate change is a made up excuse by people who want government grant money to rename naturally occuring weather fronts).

You say you like the songs, can you even understand what they are sining about? Do you speak, Cree, Blackfoot, Anishnabe, Lakota, Cheyenne and the numerous languages that these songs are sung in? When I listen to Italian opera at least I tried to learn what the words were... how can you appreciate the songs if you have no clue what they are singing about? Something tells me you've heard songs that go like this... hey ya hey ya, heya ya which are usually made up by someone claiming to have learned it from an old Lakota elder/medicineman.

You ask the question why can someone not join the Native religion? The answer is simple, you don't have the ancestors.

Have you ever really looked into your own ancestry? Why are you afraid of your ancestors? Why look to someone elses?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Last edited by yaahl; 03-19-2012 at 05:36 PM..
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
Yes and no. If you go to a powwow in the southern plains with a southern buckskin, the ladies may drive you away. If you go to a powwow in Pennsylvania or Ohio, the white people will welcome you with hugs.
Oh oh, wanjica my friend. Why do you dislike Ohio so much? I am sad.

There do exist in Ohio some pretty good powwows...with real ndns and frybread and everything.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #25
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
Hey yaahl!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #26
Pow Wow Visitor

I already made ​​my dress, deerskin, I have not been native to advise, I just look at how the dresses were made ​​in all, I mean, with or without large fringes, northern or southern style, and what were the accessories like the belt, the big bag, small, the moccasins, the leggings, the shawl and the fan. and jewelery.
to make the dress, I made the model even without me take a copy of a particular dress, only what I saw on my dress, I had my reasons based on what I liked most about the nature , ie, wolves, with my favorite colors. I do not know if native women's dresses are meaningful to them, but mine has one for me. I spent over a year to do, and I am still making accessories that I have yet to modify and improve
I would dance in a powwow in the us, because as I said, I would allow me to share this moment that would be my great honor and great joy,
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by clochette View Post
I already made ​​my dress, deerskin, I have not been native to advise, I just look at how the dresses were made ​​in all, I mean, with or without large fringes, northern or southern style, and what were the accessories like the belt, the big bag, small, the moccasins, the leggings, the shawl and the fan. and jewelery.
to make the dress, I made the model even without me take a copy of a particular dress, only what I saw on my dress, I had my reasons based on what I liked most about the nature , ie, wolves, with my favorite colors. I do not know if native women's dresses are meaningful to them, but mine has one for me. I spent over a year to do, and I am still making accessories that I have yet to modify and improve
I would dance in a powwow in the us, because as I said, I would allow me to share this moment that would be my great honor and great joy,
Why would a dress that is not from your own family's designs be that special to you? Please try to explain that to me. When I made my button blanket last year, I used a design that my father had done for my mother for their wedding. I used colours that my clan uses. Can you even try to understand that if you copied someone elses' design then all you did was create a dress that someone else made, one that isn't your family's.

Can you even understand the family concept we're trying to tell you about? You keep missing that point intentionally.

Why would dancing with people that you are not related to, give you joy? I really need to understand this concept.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #28
Pow Wow Visitor

I can see myself dancing a jig like,,,,,,,,,

I see you still do not understand my motivations, but it's not serious, it should not interfere in my desire and my dream to one day go to a powwow and to dance.
and about the songs, looking at videos of powwow, they are chanting, they do not have all of the words, do not like to cerains.
I can be a romantic vision of your people, although I know that we are in the 21 century and you live like me, but I love your people and all you can say will change anything there. and I also know that nobody is perfect and I could very well be disappointed by your people. but some people are not for everyone.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #29
Pow Wow Visitor

I have not made ​​a dress by copying another. my parents gave me love and respect for nature and animals. I naturally wanted to pay homage to the one I was closest to heart, and also in honor of my dogs that I love as my children. because I have not had the pleasure of having my own children. not using color, special patterns in my family because we have no tradition using it. so I made my dress as I felt.
and why it would be a joy for me to dance at a powwow? I do not know it myself, I'm just saying what I feel inside me. when I am in the presence of native, I do not know why, I feel good.
can be am I crazy? may be that I live in an unreal world? but that's how,Annuler les modifications
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #30
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Quote:
I can see myself dancing a jig like,,,,,,,,,

I see you still do not understand my motivations, but it's not serious, it should not interfere in my desire and my dream to one day go to a powwow and to dance.
and about the songs, looking at videos of powwow, they are chanting, they do not have all of the words, do not like to cerains.
I can be a romantic vision of your people, although I know that we are in the 21 century and you live like me, but I love your people and all you can say will change anything there. and I also know that nobody is perfect and I could very well be disappointed by your people. but some people are not for everyone.
Yes, I'd like to see you dance a jig at a pow wow... you could request a special.

You love my people... hmm... now which one of the 600 odd tribes are you exactly in love with? I doubt you could even name a dozen of them let alone tell the difference between them.

So in your level of pow wow songs expertise, you say they are only chanting? I see, and what Native languages do you speak so that you can tell the difference between those chanting sounds and vocabulary?

I think your motivations are beginning to sound a little trollish on here to say the least. You certainly are sounding very condescending and your unwillingness to learn anything is quite apparent.

Vous n'êtes rien, mais un chercheur de tressaillement qui s'ennuie avec vos propres gens. Vous n'êtes pas différent de celui des jésuites étaient que montré ici il ya 500 ans, que vous prenez et ne rien donner en retour, sauf votre arrogance.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

and that you want me to take, if not a moment to dance?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

I am not a Jesuit, I do not come to. I do not understand your hostility towards me,
I was just asking a question.
and more if I'm so ignorant as that,, teach me, I only ask that,
Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #33
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 87,421.59
In true Pokemon fashion " @Zeke I choose you!" --- to chime in here... LOL

To be blunt most of our everyday lives are fairly generic, just like the Asians, African Americans, Hispanics, and Whites are here.

Just like @yaahl - Recently I've been getting up, skipping breakfast, head out to production meetings and locations, tear through the city in my GMC, go to rehearsals, shoots etc, then I come home eat dinner and kill zombies on my computer on one monitor with a movie or TV show playing on the other. Lather, rinse, repeat. Boring... Work only allows me to hit powwows during a few weekends in the spring and summer and they are only a social gathering, nothing spiritual.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #34
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,002.15
Quote:
I am not a Jesuit, I do not come to. I do not understand your hostility towards me,
I was just asking a question.
and more if I'm so ignorant as that,, teach me, I only ask that,
clochette, there is no hostility towards you, all they are doing is trying to make you understand, that it is not the RIGHT way to just come to a powwow in a regalia, and start dancing....when you never have been properly invited and introduced into the circle.

I have been living in the US now for over 10 years, am working on my US citizenship now, (was fingerprinted today), I had alot of Native friends when I still lived in my birth country, Sweden.

While living there I was invited by my second moma, that is Lenape, to come out and dance in regalia...but I didn't see that it was appropriate to just come to a powwow and start dancing...in full regalia...when I came here.

I am not sure if it matter that I am indigenious, am from the Sami Nation, the Reindeer people, but in the beginning I didn't tell anyone here in the community, I wanted them to accept me for me, and that I was not someone with a fantasy that comes from Dances with wolves that you are welcomed with open arms, because that is not the way it is...

I have never heard a bad word about me, but I have been patient, and learned the right way...as one thing that you have to learn, is that native people observe you, how you act and talk, and dance, what your regalia looks like...and trust me...if they don't like what they see, they will treat you like air....if you're lucky that is...maybe some of the Commanche ladies, comes up to you and starts chew you up and they are nothing to play around with...Sorry ladies just had to do that ...lol

First, the southern buckskin dresses do have different cuts depending on what tribe you belong to, they have their own style where you put the beadwork etc.. you never mix match a pattern on the dress...or make up your own...that goes with all regalias.

When you first enter the circle you have a give-away, and someone to speak for you, preferly the one that invited you, and took you under their wings, by teaching you the meaning of the dress and dance, as there are many different dances as well, and you need to know them before you go out into the circle.
Also there are other ceremonies involved but am not gonna go in on that, as I personally think you are not ready to wear a regalia, I say that, not to be rude, but you need to learn and understand the meaning of the dress and all the dances.

I danced over 2 years with just a shawl, when I had the guts to first come into the circle, as I didn't feel it was right to go out and dance, even that I had my regalia hanging in the closet.
Still today there are times when I just have the shawl over my shoulders.

I did it the right way, and have been accepted as a dancer in the community, I was even honored to be head lady, at the Medicine Lightning Clouds Powwow last year,(the white Buffalo born on the LittleSoldiers ranch).
To me that was a big honor, and I was so worried I would do something wrong, but they had faith in me, and all went well.

Just take the time, go to powwows, have a shawl, dance the inter-tribal dances, as you don't live here, I would suggest that you go to the same powwow when you visit a couple of years, so you get to know people, and maybe get an invite to join in regalia, and maybe then you are ready to go out in a traditional dress.
Sunktaki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #35
Pow Wow Visitor

Excuse me, but tell me I am nothing, I'm arrogant, and I'm like a conquistador, my home, it's called insults, and it is aggressive,
again, I never said I would go directly to a powwow and I allow myself to go dancing.
I make it clear that I would not go until I am invited to do so, and only once that I would know all the protocol of a powwow.
more I seek nothing sprirituel, I did not intend to stand upon ceremony, let alone participate in ceremonies nick made ​​by the whites who claim to be invested by the great spirit.
I would just like to have the honor to dance one day at a powwow. but I would not do, and I repeat that if I had permission.
I have respect for native peoples. if this was not the case, I would already go to a powwow to dance, but I expected, and I think that may be, one day, I would have this chance to,,
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #36
Pow Wow Visitor

I thank you for answering,
you just teach me new things, and I still have much to learn before going to dance, I'm well aware.
but little by little the bird builds its nest. and one day maybe I'll be ready.
but if instead of verbally assaulting me, some people advise me it would be much nicer, I'm not aggressive, I'm just looking for answers and can be advisors.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #37
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Quote:
Excuse me, but tell me I am nothing, I'm arrogant, and I'm like a conquistador, my home, it's called insults, and it is aggressive,
again, I never said I would go directly to a powwow and I allow myself to go dancing.
I make it clear that I would not go until I am invited to do so, and only once that I would know all the protocol of a powwow.
more I seek nothing sprirituel, I did not intend to stand upon ceremony, let alone participate in ceremonies nick made ​​by the whites who claim to be invested by the great spirit.
I would just like to have the honor to dance one day at a powwow. but I would not do, and I repeat that if I had permission.
I have respect for native peoples. if this was not the case, I would already go to a powwow to dance, but I expected, and I think that may be, one day, I would have this chance to,,
Now, now clochette, you know better than to play that card. What I said in French to you was that you are no different than the Jesuits that came here 500 years ago, they took everything and gave nothing back. I also said, that you are being very arrogant in your replies.

So let's go over those replies shall we?

You asked if there would be a problem with you showing up to a pow wow in your dress that you made. You stated that you are not native and have no connections to any particular tribe or people.

From Wanjica, you were told that if you followed that path, you would in all likelihood told off by the by a plains people but welcomed by a pow wow run by white people in the east.

From Eagle Plumes you were told to just go to a pow wow and watch, listen and enjoy the sights, she advised you to wait before you danced.

From OLChemist you were given a concise and well thought out response as to why you should not just expect to go to a pow wow and start dancing right away. She advised you as Eagle Plume did, to watch, listen and learn.

You then attempted to compare your country of France occupation by the Germans to the 500 years of colonization of our home. You neglected to mention that your country, France, is as culpable to our colonization as any of the other European countries that claimed this land as theirs. I am forced to speak French as an official language in my country because of your ancestors.

From Wyo Rose, she also advised you to watch, wait and visit a pow wow to see if any other white people were dancing.

You claim that you would not go to a reserve and force your way into a pow wow because you think it would be rude yet you seem to have no problems barging into this site and speaking nonsense and not wanting to take the advice given.

You state that you are not trying to imitate native ways, yet yo claim that you have made a dress out of buckskin, only copied various dresses and think that native people are a genuine and pure people.

From OLChemist you were told that you need to understand that pow wows for some tribes are beyond a simple dance competition. She went on to explain it to you.

You however, didn't like those answers so you proceeded to claim that you have a right to join a religion just as any Christian or Jew can and that your lack of a genetic connection makes no difference.

Again, you point out that French trappers came to our rescue and helped us. Helped us how? By being from the paysan class who had no social manners and were alcoholics? Their idea of drinking was to finish every jug in sight, we learned well from your ancestors.

You claimed that you have a right to marry anyone of another race/ethnic group and if you do, that you should be welcomed into the community. I mentioned my husband, he's not native, he's part of my family but he has no rights to any tribal rights. You need to understand that concept.

Then I told you about my typical day to dissuade you of your romantic notions of what we really live like over here. You admit that you hold onto to those notions of a romanticised Indian yet, you still don't want to believe that we are many people from many nations and not in the least as you think we are.

You said that the drum makes you vibrate, I asked if you understood what the drummers and singers were saying in their songs. You answered that it was all chanting, no words.

I asked if you were fluent in any of the Plains languages where these songs come from and you never answered. I asked if you did not speak any of the languages then how do you know which is a chant and which is vocabulary. You think I'm being hostile to you.

I was willing to give some benefit of doubt that you were using the google translator and that it sometimes fails to translate intent. I wrote to you in French to let you know that if you wanted to, you could reply in French if it made explaining your views a little easier. You see as hostile.

I said that I thought your responses were beginning to sound a little trollish by virtue of their rigid position that you think you have a right to do as you please just because you claim to love us. I asked who are these people that you love? I don't think even you recognized that we're not all characters from Dances with Wolves.

I also suggested that if you wanted to see a pow wow to try and go to one in Quebec as the First Nations up there will speak French. You ignored that suggestion. Are they not Native enough for you - do they not meet your requirements that they all speak about the Tatanka? The irony is, the Cree, Mohawk, Innu, Abenaki, Huron and Maria Mi'kmaq from Quebec are probably more traditional in their practises than anything you'll see in your European pow wows. You might have actually met some nice people who will speak the same language as you.

So let me ask you this, you said that when you are in the presence of a native person, you feel good. So why is it when you are not hearing the answers you expected from Native women and men, are you not still feeling good? Or is the answer more akin to you just don't like the Natives on this forum and to counter the responses you didn't want to hear, you are now claiming to be on the defense because we are mean to you?

So which is it, do we make you feel good or are we mean to you?

If you really want to go to a pow wow, why not try the ones in Germany and Poland? Much closer and you can pretend away with the rest of the hobbyists that "just love us".

Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #38
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 126,202.15
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
I thank you for answering,
you just teach me new things, and I still have much to learn before going to dance, I'm well aware.
but little by little the bird builds its nest. and one day maybe I'll be ready.
but if instead of verbally assaulting me, some people advise me it would be much nicer, I'm not aggressive, I'm just looking for answers and can be advisors.
Quote:
Quote:
thank you olchemist for your answer.
i know now what i must be doing in a powwow
if i have on day, the chance to go in a powwow, it's only for dancing, not for win, because it will be a very big honor for me to dance with native people,

friendly from france
OLChemist gives you some advice, and you respond to her by saying you already know what you need to know about going to a powwow. You are then confronted by a bunch of NDN women (and one other invited guest. lol) who set you straight...and you call them aggressive and have insulted you???

Yet, you insulted the fist person who gave you advice, by telling her, although they are true First Nations, their response was not correct. That takes a lot of gall, and IS, very insulting.

Bet if you were at a true powwow and said those words, your hair would have been pulled out and your dress torn off, sending you down the road kicking rocks.

And you say you're spiritual?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #39
Pow Wow Visitor

bon, comme vous me le suggerez, je vais vous répondre en Français,, il est effectivement des choses que je n'ai surement pas compris, vu que je ne suis pas parfait bilingue,, mais apparement vous non plus,, quand j'ai parlé des trappeurs, je n'ai pas dit qu'il vous avait apporté quelques choses, j'ai juste voulu dire que certains d'entre eux avaient été accepter par vos peuples,,
ensuite, je n'ai jamais dit que je voulais aller à un powwow et danser immédiatement,, j'ignore surement encore beaucoup de choses, mais je sais très bien que cela ne se fait pas,,
j'ai appris pas des choses de ce forum,, et je ne pense pas qu'être ignorante de certaines choses et de poser des questions, de ne pas tout comprendre, fait de moi une personne qui cherche à vous nuire.
il y a eu des réponses que j'ai apprécié, car au lieu de me critiquer et de me refuser catégoriquement, on m'a expliqué les choses.
je suis une femme romanesque, je n'y peux rien c'est comme ça,, mais je suis tout à fait consciente que de nos jours, vous vivez comme moi,,
la suggestion d'aller au Quebec voir un powwow avec des natives qui parlent français, est excellente, et je vous en remercie,
je suis bien consciente que j'ai énormément de choses encore à apprendre.
c'est bien pour ça que je ne me présente pas à un powwow pour danser immédiatement,
j'ai du respect,,
de plus, je n'ai pas dit que tous les chants étaient sans paroles,, je reconnais un chant lakota, car je connais quelques mots,, oh, je ne prétends pas savoir parler,loin de là,, mais juste quelques mots,, un chant apache ou hopi, ou navajo est reconnaissable aussi,, j'ignore beaucoup de choses comme je l'ai dit,, mais je connais quand meme le nom de quelques tribus,, et parfois quelques coutumes,, mais bien entendu, je n'aurais jamais assez d'une vie pour tout connaître,,
je ne viens pas vous voir en conquérant, mais juste,, un peu comme un enfant qui a soif d'apprendre, parce que je me sens proche de la culture de certaines tribus,, je ne rejette en rien les autres,, c'est que je me sens plus d'affinité avec certains,,
mais j'ai tout autant de respect pour les autres,,
peut etre est ce l'image que vos peuples dégagent, mais je pense que pour la plupart d'entre vous , vous respecter la nature, et c'est ça qui me plait,
je ne cherche pas a faire des cérémonies, ni comme on dit par ici, "jouer aux indiens",,
ne voyez rien de péjoratif, ni de malsain,,
vous avez parfaitement raison quand vous dites que je ne comprends pas les paroles des chants, c'est vrai,, cela dit quand j'entend une chanson en anglais, je ne comprend pas toujours non plus,, c'est plus une question de mélodie, et là ou vous avez encore raison, c'est de dire que je devrais apprendre les paroles pour comprendre,,
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #40
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 126,202.15
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Now, now clochette, you know better than to play that card. What I said in French to you was that you are no different than the Jesuits that came here 500 years ago, they took everything and gave nothing back. I also said, that you are being very arrogant in your replies.

So let's go over those replies shall we?

You asked if there would be a problem with you showing up to a pow wow in your dress that you made. You stated that you are not native and have no connections to any particular tribe or people.

From Wanjica, you were told that if you followed that path, you would in all likelihood told off by the by a plains people but welcomed by a pow wow run by white people in the east.

From Eagle Plumes you were told to just go to a pow wow and watch, listen and enjoy the sights, she advised you to wait before you danced.

From OLChemist you were given a concise and well thought out response as to why you should not just expect to go to a pow wow and start dancing right away. She advised you as Eagle Plume did, to watch, listen and learn.

You then attempted to compare your country of France occupation by the Germans to the 500 years of colonization of our home. You neglected to mention that your country, France, is as culpable to our colonization as any of the other European countries that claimed this land as theirs. I am forced to speak French as an official language in my country because of your ancestors.

From Wyo Rose, she also advised you to watch, wait and visit a pow wow to see if any other white people were dancing.

You claim that you would not go to a reserve and force your way into a pow wow because you think it would be rude yet you seem to have no problems barging into this site and speaking nonsense and not wanting to take the advice given.

You state that you are not trying to imitate native ways, yet yo claim that you have made a dress out of buckskin, only copied various dresses and think that native people are a genuine and pure people.

From OLChemist you were told that you need to understand that pow wows for some tribes are beyond a simple dance competition. She went on to explain it to you.

You however, didn't like those answers so you proceeded to claim that you have a right to join a religion just as any Christian or Jew can and that your lack of a genetic connection makes no difference.

Again, you point out that French trappers came to our rescue and helped us. Helped us how? By being from the paysan class who had no social manners and were alcoholics? Their idea of drinking was to finish every jug in sight, we learned well from your ancestors.

You claimed that you have a right to marry anyone of another race/ethnic group and if you do, that you should be welcomed into the community. I mentioned my husband, he's not native, he's part of my family but he has no rights to any tribal rights. You need to understand that concept.

Then I told you about my typical day to dissuade you of your romantic notions of what we really live like over here. You admit that you hold onto to those notions of a romanticised Indian yet, you still don't want to believe that we are many people from many nations and not in the least as you think we are.

You said that the drum makes you vibrate, I asked if you understood what the drummers and singers were saying in their songs. You answered that it was all chanting, no words.

I asked if you were fluent in any of the Plains languages where these songs come from and you never answered. I asked if you did not speak any of the languages then how do you know which is a chant and which is vocabulary. You think I'm being hostile to you.

I was willing to give some benefit of doubt that you were using the google translator and that it sometimes fails to translate intent. I wrote to you in French to let you know that if you wanted to, you could reply in French if it made explaining your views a little easier. You see as hostile.

I said that I thought your responses were beginning to sound a little trollish by virtue of their rigid position that you think you have a right to do as you please just because you claim to love us. I asked who are these people that you love? I don't think even you recognized that we're not all characters from Dances with Wolves.

I also suggested that if you wanted to see a pow wow to try and go to one in Quebec as the First Nations up there will speak French. You ignored that suggestion. Are they not Native enough for you - do they not meet your requirements that they all speak about the Tatanka? The irony is, the Cree, Mohawk, Innu, Abenaki, Huron and Maria Mi'kmaq from Quebec are probably more traditional in their practises than anything you'll see in your European pow wows. You might have actually met some nice people who will speak the same language as you.

So let me ask you this, you said that when you are in the presence of a native person, you feel good. So why is it when you are not hearing the answers you expected from Native women and men, are you not still feeling good? Or is the answer more akin to you just don't like the Natives on this forum and to counter the responses you didn't want to hear, you are now claiming to be on the defense because we are mean to you?

So which is it, do we make you feel good or are we mean to you?

If you really want to go to a pow wow, why not try the ones in Germany and Poland? Much closer and you can pretend away with the rest of the hobbyists that "just love us".
Did anybody else catch the one mispeeled word up in here?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links