Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Powwow dancing for Non-Indians Powwow dancing for Non-Indians

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2004, 12:12 PM   #41
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Donna D is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Just because the Blackfoot invented the Grass Dance doesn't mean that the Lakota don't have Grass Dance societies as well.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #42
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D
"The Cattarragus people have their own Jingle Dress Society tho I did not go into the details."

"The Ponca people claim to have invented every powwow dance in existence (hey, I heard this from several Poncas), but those who made this claim were so full of wind I didn't consider even asking THEM questions."

"But I suppose the Anishinabe have the same beliefs in directions that the Cherokee do. . .

Apparently the Anishinabe cannot agree on their name much less anything else. But that's par for the course when dealing with skins."

__

"Just because the Blackfoot invented the Grass Dance doesn't mean that the Lakota don't have Grass Dance societies as well."

Thank you for your support, Donna
__

Ooooh Donna?

Have you ever been to a Turkey Shoot? *L

I am glad you "read a LOT." You are going to have a lot to read real soon.

Are there any Haudenosaunee, Poncas, Anishinabe or U'monhons in the house?

DonnaD, are you SURE you don't mean to be posting this in the Indian Humor forum or Urban Legends thread?

Are you a Powwow Historian?

On what planet?

Last edited by WhoMe; 08-20-2004 at 01:20 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #43
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
I ain't got the time to reply here today to this...but I am trying to envision my nokomis in her dress doing steps resembling the charleston.

Makes for a cute picture :D *L*

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #44
Junior Dancer

tiBBy is just really nice
Thumbs down

Hey I thought this was about dancing for non-natives, not the cheorkee tribes interpretation of the jingle dress dance. Donna D maybe you need to create a new thread for that topic.

As for dance troupes and stuff I think it is all good for exposure to the non native community. It is true that some still believe we live in tepees and igloos and such. Call it ignorance, its just what they know. So dance troupes in the non native community do us well. However, I am not in favor of thoes who take advantage of this opportunity just to WOW the crowd with phoney indian legends and to make a quick buck. YA KNOW...

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"
tiBBy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2004, 12:51 PM   #45
Smell my cookin'

The Rock has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 40.00
Quote:

The Cattarragus people have their own Jingle Dress Society tho I did not go into the details.

They do?????

That's a first for me....anyone from Cattaraugus in da house that dances jingle got any clarification on this one....

Just the first time I've ever heard that one before.

Laterz,
Rock
The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2004, 12:51 PM   #46
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Anishnabe, Ojibway, Ojibwe, Chippewa, Chips......all same thing to me.

I can say I am half Ojib and half Nish and that still makes me full blood :p

Old 08-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #47
Junior Dancer

tiBBy is just really nice
WHO ME is kind of a funny guy! LOL...good guy to know tho ;) HOLLA!

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"
tiBBy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2004, 01:48 PM   #48
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
Quote:

The Ponca people claim to have invented every powwow dance in existence (hey, I heard this from several Poncas), but those who made this claim were so full of wind I didn't consider even asking THEM questions. I mean, there are certain elders that aren't any more helpful than you are.
Okay, speaking as a Ponca and a really pissed off one at that; we Poncas do not think we created every pow wow dance in existance. So cut the crap about saying several Poncas will state that. If you know anything, you would know the Fancy Dance originated with the Poncas. I really don't see how you see yourself as someone who knows everything about different tribes. And if you reply with something that says.."I don't think I am an authority on every tribe" DON'T. B/C simply by your statements alone about these other tribes...you believe what you say b/c you're not afraid to put it down for the world to read, powwows.com world at least.

For lack of a better way of putting it, maybe the reason why SEVERAL Poncas told you that ...is b/c you seemed so "miss know it all" or "miss nose(y) it all", they figured you'd just believe them.

We tend to tell b/s to people who just seem nosey. Several Indians have told ME this.....

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2004, 12:55 PM   #49
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Ohhhh Donnnna?

Are you a real "Cherokee Princess?"
Old 08-26-2004, 11:12 AM   #50
Tiny Tot Dancer

Well WhoMe, you really elevated yourself in my opinion.

The Seneca lady who I spoke to about the jingle dress, she is also part Anishinabe, imagine that! An Indian with blood from more than on tribe! Oh my gosh! Anyway, she offered to sponsor my daughter into the jingle society, I didn't ask her where the society was headquartered. Maybe I should have so I could answer your questions.

As for the part about the Charleston steps, I never said I believed that. I printed it as a point of interest, how things change over the years. It came from a historical text and at this point in time, I think it's funny. Though I didn't state that in my original post so as not to hurt feelings of anyone who does believe that. Whatever.

As for the braggart Ponca who stated that the Ponca were responsible for all the powwow dances. He was talking on the microphone at the Fourth of July powwow a few years ago in Cherokee, North Carolina. He stated that because he was a "full-blooded Indian" that he would never lose his hair unless he "chose" to. He said this on the microphone while all around were many full bloods who had lost their hair and I doubt any of them chose to. Anyway, he hasn't been back to North Carolina since and that's probably a good thing. He wasn't talking to me personally so it couldn't have been said because he thought I was a "know-it-all" I believe this is a case of "the other way around."

Love and kisses, Donna
-------------------------------
Not hiding behind an alias.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #51
Tiny Tot Dancer

The 3rd attempt to post finally worked.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:24 AM   #52
Shut up and dance.

HECETUKE_WICASA is an unknown quantity at this point
When I dance the people there watching fade out. I'm just dancing because I love to do it. regardless of who is there. I wouldn't change the way I do something because someone else is watching me (unless of course she was really cute) when I do that I end up looking like a fool anyway. I think the moment I focus on everyone in the crowd I become the fool. Non-native people come to see and learn and yes sometimes exploit, I feel if I do things in a good way then hopefully it may pass along to whomever may be watching and there will be less of a chance of the latter.

just my 2 cents
HECETUKE_WICASA is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2004, 12:33 PM   #53
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

As for the braggart Ponca who stated that the Ponca were responsible for all the powwow dances. He was talking on the microphone at the Fourth of July powwow a few years ago in Cherokee, North Carolina. He stated that because he was a "full-blooded Indian" that he would never lose his hair unless he "chose" to. He said this on the microphone while all around were many full bloods who had lost their hair and I doubt any of them chose to. Anyway, he hasn't been back to North Carolina since and that's probably a good thing. He wasn't talking to me personally so it couldn't have been said because he thought I was a "know-it-all" I believe this is a case of "the other way around."

Love and kisses, Donna
-------------------------------
Not hiding behind an alias.
Well if you're referring to one guy claiming he was Ponca, choose your words carefully. You made it sound like every Ponca you've ever talked to said our tribe created every dance. And if you're going to be making statements of what you have heard...I would check the reliability of that statement and make sure it's correct, hell if it even sounds LOGICAL.
Oh and innocent belittling cynisism is still bullsh*t no matter what form it comes in. (HUGS AND KISSES CANDAE)

Old 08-26-2004, 01:22 PM   #54
Tiny Tot Dancer

Sharky has a spectacular aura about
More two cents, I like to dance. Don't matter whoalls watching, getting to old to care about how good I look anyway. I connect with the drum and dance because it feels good to dance. Was there any other reason to dance? Don't care about $ and competitions, Just dance every chance I get. Enjoy the company of the other dancers and the getting togather with like minded people. Dosn't matter what kind of stories are being said about origins. MC's are usually there to entertain anyway and keep things going. Remember, Indn joking is very subtle and often said with a straight face. Bet the MC's and everyone are laughing about all the people that took the hook on the last story they gave. Will continue to dance. See y'all at Orange County this weekend.
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2004, 02:00 PM   #55
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
HECETUKE_WICASA and Sharky:

You have a lot of good words to say concerning why you dance.

DonnaD:

You might consider posting your comments in the Indian Humor forum of Chit Chat. They still are not making sense.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:07 PM   #56
Tiny Tot Dancer

A Comanche friend told me that the Ponca who bragged about his non-balding hair was no longer welcome in Oklahoma. I don't know, I just know he's not welcome in NC anymore. Because he was not joking. He had lived on Qualla for a couple of years with a Cherokee woman. He taught her many bad habits and they were not liked at powwows. He always had something going on. And he wasn't the emcee at the Cherokee powwow either. It was during a break and he got on the mike somehow. I don't know if he just took the opportunity or what, but I wouldn't be surprised. He's one of those guys who always does something to get on the microphone at every powwow so he can talk about how great he and his significant other are. Hoping to make points with the judging committee no doubt, about what a great Indian he is. Since she kicked him out, she's gone back to being a good person again.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:11 PM   #57
PowWows.com Addicts

errrrr.......back to the topic?

Old 08-26-2004, 02:11 PM   #58
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
A Comanche friend told me that the Ponca who bragged about his non-balding hair was no longer welcome in Oklahoma. I don't know, I just know he's not welcome in NC anymore. Because he was not joking. He had lived on Qualla for a couple of years with a Cherokee woman. He taught her many bad habits and they were not liked at powwows. He always had something going on. And he wasn't the emcee at the Cherokee powwow either. It was during a break and he got on the mike somehow. I don't know if he just took the opportunity or what, but I wouldn't be surprised. He's one of those guys who always does something to get on the microphone at every powwow so he can talk about how great he and his significant other are. Hoping to make points with the judging committee no doubt, about what a great Indian he is. Since she kicked him out, she's gone back to being a good person again.
Don't want to get in the middle here other than to say that DonnaD is telling the truth about the guy. Several times he's told pow wow audiences that Poncas created everything. Sorry to interject there...back to the bickering :)
Old 08-26-2004, 02:17 PM   #59
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
Quote:

The Ponca people claim to have invented every powwow dance in existence (hey, I heard this from several Poncas),

Thank you for your support, Donna
SingerDad...this is the remark that got my attention and I felt was ignorant and without merit. Did she actually mean just ONE guy ??? If so why did she say several? This is the point I'm making. I'm Ponca.....my family is Ponca...and we never claimed to have started every dance. That's so silly. You know what I'm saying?

Not FREAKIN out on ya SingerDad *L* just splainin myself.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:20 PM   #60
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
Yes and to get back to topic.....I said in one of my VERY first posts that I enjoy performing for everyone. So they get an idea of native culture and it helps people become more tolerant of cultures. *L* So let's get back on topic!!! *L*

Sponsored Links