Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Powwow Frybread Powwow Frybread

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Savings: 0.00
Powwow Frybread

Almost everyone who has been to powwows knows about Frybread (aka. Bannock, popovers etc.) Powwow vendors sell frybread as a their main staple.

Regional preparation differs and there is definitely a hierarchy of different degrees of excellence.

Some dancers don't eat it before their contest because it makes them feel heavy or slows them down.

Contrary to popular belief the origins of frybread were originally recorded (according to a Native Piscataway Historian) in Spanish explorer journals in approximately 1570 in what is now the state of Virginia. These journals speak of a mixture of corn and acorn flour fried in bear grease. In researching further, I have found corn, acorn and bear grease are part of many tribal diets.

Can anybody add to this evolution of frybread?

Last edited by WhoMe; 09-18-2008 at 09:23 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Teen Dancer

ndneyez is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Probably gonna sound crazy.......

I can only handle frybread, maybe, once a year. Just thinking about that stuff makes my arteries clog! I can't stand it really. When I've been on the trail for awhile, I look for the food stand that has other varieties of food. With diabetes, obesity and all the other health issues out there......frybread isn't helping the cause.
So go ahead and curse me out for it if you want.....lol This Ojibwe girl doesn't care for frybread.
ndneyez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
I grew up eating frybread it was cheap and easy to make
We ate it just about every meal
Breakfast lunch and dinner and even brought it to school bologna and frybread

As for the orgin my understanding it was a staple of the allotment period
Flour
Salt and Lard were among the items given to us as staples along with coffee and sugar
Later mixing baking soda and creme of tartar you have baking powder and the rising bread was born!

Its funny though how many tribes in the southwest and midwest make frybread all different shapes sizes and styles
My grandma made it in a skillet poured a very wet mixture in and covered and cooked on low then flipped it over untill both sides were done
Pan Bread she called it

As for the health benefits of Frybread there are none but the damage can be minimized by using canola oil and patting most of the grease out

People that dont like frybread never had a nice piece straight out of the skillet nice and fluffy and light not greasy and a little salt thrown on it and eat it just like that
Yummmm
Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Junior Dancer

Ivanasnagu is a glorious beacon of light
I would have to agree with Josiah and the depression being a conduit for fry bread. Flour and salt were a staple. It's no wonder our people suffer from diabetes. Okie skins eat corn soup and fry bread pretty often. Can you spell C-A-R-B-S? Once in a blue moon that diet is okay, but my family makes fry bread, or dry bread pretty much every day. Dip it in beans, chili, stew, wrap a hot dog, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Just keep it in moderation.
Ivanasnagu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndneyez View Post
I can only handle frybread, maybe, once a year. Just thinking about that stuff makes my arteries clog! I can't stand it really. When I've been on the trail for awhile, I look for the food stand that has other varieties of food. With diabetes, obesity and all the other health issues out there......frybread isn't helping the cause.
So go ahead and curse me out for it if you want.....lol This Ojibwe girl doesn't care for frybread.
yes im with you .... i only make frybread maybe 3 or 4 times a YEAR LOL ... and i also look around for food stands that sell "healthier" options. sometimes theres a "diabetic" booth at the pws around here .... usually operated by the local health clinic LOL. they sell fresh fruit and veggies ... no fried stuff and roast beef sandwiches etc. and juices and water

and i dont know if it was my family ..... but honestly i dont remember having a piece of frybread (fried bannock) until i was like 12 or 13. oven baked bannock is a staple around here. i remember when i was small my mom and dad showing us how to make it in a cast iron skillet near an open fire or on lil sticks ...
Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
oh and i forgot to mention ..... bannock was introduced to this area by the Hudson Bay Company fur traders ..... LOL
Old 09-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
beader and grandmother

thunderbirdwoman is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 200.00
Talking frybread

oh for crykie sakes, bannock moved with the times and at celebrations it is served as a persons choice maybe some of us only have it a few times a year and yes it is in our genetics for diabestes. The european movement was kinda jewish element, let them eat cake attutude. Frybread is what it is and enjoy it we live once and we have legs and arms to move us through exercise. i rarely seen obese natives in my growing up years and heart attacks were not in our history nor was diabestes we just got lazy and urbanized. bannock apart of our cultural and traditional background, it is prepared many different days, given what staple is available and geo.
thunderbirdwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
A good friend of mine told me that she believed that Fry Bread came from the "Trail of Tears" back in the 1838/1839. That's just a thought there too.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
>&a mp; amp;amp; amp;gt;& amp;amp;lt;& amp;gt;&l t;&a mp;amp;a mp;l t;

SmilezAlot is a splendid one to beholdSmilezAlot is a splendid one to beholdSmilezAlot is a splendid one to beholdSmilezAlot is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanasnagu View Post
I would have to agree with Josiah and the depression being a conduit for fry bread. Flour and salt were a staple. It's no wonder our people suffer from diabetes. Okie skins eat corn soup and fry bread pretty often. Can you spell C-A-R-B-S? Once in a blue moon that diet is okay, but my family makes fry bread, or dry bread pretty much every day. Dip it in beans, chili, stew, wrap a hot dog, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Just keep it in moderation.

Yea I also agree. Growing up, I was taught that fry bread came about when the government gave indian people food rations. You're right fry bread and corn probably have lots of carbs and too much can be bad for your health, but as far as being healthy doesn't your lifestyle also come into play. Nowadays we rely on machines to do all our work for us. Not only native people but just about everyone in the US.

But yea that does sounds good....fry bread dipped in chili mmm mmm mmm lol
SmilezAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Almost everyone who has been to powwows knows about Frybread (aka. Bannock, popovers etc.) Powwow vendors sell frybread as a their main staple.

Regional preparation differs and there is definitely a hierarchy of different degrees of excellence.

Some dancers don't eat it before their contest because it makes them feel heavy or slows them down.

Contrary to popular belief the origins of frybread were originally recorded (according to a Native Picataway Historian) in Spanish explorer journals in approximately 1570 in what is now the state of Virginia. These journals speak of a mixture of corn and acorn flour fried in bear grease. In researching further, I have found corn, acorn and bear grease are part of many tribal diets.

Can anybody add to this evolution of frybread?
I think that historian is a little mixed up... how the heck would you fry the bread without metal cookery???

Too many times now a days people come out of the woodwork professing to know the history behind something... only to blow smoke. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanasnagu View Post
I have to agree with you and Josiah... fry bread can be traced back to the intro of commods. It was a way for us to fill our starving bellies... it was also the introduction of commod bods!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
Head Dancer

Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,765.68
I think frybread at pow wows is ok but sometimes you have to find which stand sells good frybread..sometimes they are doughy or very greasy...I don't eat frybread all the time either but cant pass up good frybread..

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20
Lakota_winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
I have a sudden carving for fry bread with peanut butter and sugar now!!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
I remember my mom saying frybread came when we were given rations.... She said, when Navajo's were first given some of those things like coffee and flour, the people ate it raw and got sick, because they didn't know what to do with it.

We have some other kinds of traditional breads, but they are made with corn meal.

Frybread dipped in a mixture of sorgum (sp?) and butter... Yummy!!!
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
I remember my mom saying frybread came when we were given rations.... She said, when Navajo's were first given some of those things like coffee and flour, the people ate it raw and got sick, because they didn't know what to do with it.

We have some other kinds of traditional breads, but they are made with corn meal.

Frybread dipped in a mixture of sorgum (sp?) and butter... Yummy!!!

Or with iinesh bizhii..... double yummy!!!
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
n8vNation

native nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond reputenative nation has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 230.01
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom View Post

Or with iinesh bizhii..... double yummy!!!
I'll second that!
native nation is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

SheTurtle is a name known to all
Credits: 999.17
I was told that frybread was what you could make with commodity items.
SheTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
Soooooooooo I guess no one has tasted mah frybread made with wheat flour and blue corn meal?? mmmmmmmmm so good. All mah family makes it like that now, since my sis is into health stuff and most people at our chapter house, hardrock, make it like that too.

But yeah, k-mom is right, i've heard those same stories too. We've been having ndn taco/frybread stands almost every weekend for the last month, gah. I am so sick of the smell but I don't really eat much of it. Maybe this weekend I will make the dough, instead of the 'normal' way, and do it hardrock style...LOL

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
npathstvl@gmail.com
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #18
mtn lover..

dancing bear is a glorious beacon of light
Location: wyoming now.. originally from new mexico though.. but summer is coming.. so my tent or my car..
the Evolution stopped when my mom makes it.. it is sooo good!!! bluebird is a staple.. who cares about whether it's healthy or not...
actually the best frybread is not greasy... unless u have it with some nice fatty mutton roasted to perfection!!! mmmmmm..
dang!!!!
there is ghost bread, bannock, fry bread... but i think the southwest style is the best.. nice and fluffy and as big or bigger then the paperplate that it's put on... put some salt on it.. fold it and there u go!!! if I'm at a powwow and I think i should I have something to have in my stomach before comp.. frybread does the trick....
I grew up eating it with mutton, red chili stew, as a taco, with roast mutton... and I'm not fat!! lol
but anyway.. I worked myself up into a situation.. I wont get my moms frybread until at least thanksgiving!!! geez...
db
dancing bear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #19
yargh!

Luzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota_winyan View Post
I think frybread at pow wows is ok but sometimes you have to find which stand sells good frybread..sometimes they are doughy or very greasy...I don't eat frybread all the time either but cant pass up good frybread..
I agree. Back home in Oklahoma, they had good frybread stands and average bread. Here on the East Coast though, from NE FL/SE GA up to Virginia, its hardly worth the extravagrant prices they sell the bread for. Its disappointing to say the least.
Luzenza is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #20
Teen Dancer

Kaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant future
Credits: 4,123.81
Deleted

Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Deleted
Kaina1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links