Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Is Powwow Just a Game? Is Powwow Just a Game?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 03:32 AM   #1
~ChIcKeN dAnCeR~

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~RoCkIn_cHiCkeN~ has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Is Powwow Just a Game?

I'm getting real pissed off with alot the things powwow people do these days. I am 20 years old and this is my 5th year in dancing, for these past 5 years i learned about a whole different lifestyle than what everyone else from my rez lives. All too much on the rez i see people getting pissed as **** and smoke their ganja like ciggs.

It seems to me like the powwow is the rez. Are we supposed to be powwow people? Are we allowed to roll our weed right next to our drum and have a shot of jack daniels at the same time? I know of golden agers who carry a quater ounce of weed with them all the time. **** we might as well clear our throats when we sing with a six of bud.

Heres an Indian Commandment, "do what you know to be right", obviously if a powwow rule is to have no drugs/alcohol around the drum it "probably" came from the sacred teaching of RESPECT. It seems like these powwow stoners say "i'm only human, I make mistakes." MISTAKE MY a$$". Heres a note for you, a MISTAKE is an accident, sometimes something you won't expect, and something you look back on in the future so it won't happen again. A SIN is not an accident, it's something you commit and you know is wrong.

POWWOW IS SOLD
I enjoy competition powwows more so than traditional powwows. I only win a little bit in specials or the main competition, but i know others who think they dance like all that, some of them are sore losers and think they should have placed because the other guys established powwow people and he/she thinks they were a no good dancer. Especially the MADE dancers/drum groups, they're the biggest sore losers of all, just because they win big at powwows they get beat out by a smaller name they say it was fixed. Sometimes the little guys are just way damn better.

I know competition powwow is a form of gambling but i don't let that f****** money get to be the reason why I dance. I dance for the people, the money should be one of the last things I worry about, but sometimes it slips my mind AND I'm only Human, I make mistakes. I also like smoking weed too and having a few beers, BUT I wait out a few days until I sing or dance again. DON'T LET THE MONEY TO GET UNDER THOSE SKULLS OF YOURS. Money won't fill your hungry stomachs, money won't quench your thirsts, and money won't keep your family together. Watch out how you win, if you get pissed off when you don't win its time to stay in your home community, relax and teach the kids how to sing or dance for a couple years, or just don't compete.

Is Powwow a game?
Remember this: we handle sacred and sometimes ceremonial objects (Drums, eagle feathers/parts, pipes) around the powwow grounds and in the powwow.
The childeren are our most valuable resource, so let's raise them properly and with the teachings that were given to our people.

I know alot of people will hate me for my opinions, its allowed, you have your own minds, however I don't think I would be the one with the problem. I just want you to think about my opinion.

hiy hiy Toban Sky
Old 10-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Junior Dancer

Blue Poet is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RoCkIn_cHiCkeN~
I'm getting real pissed off with alot the things powwow people do these days. I am 20 years old and this is my 5th year in dancing, for these past 5 years i learned about a whole different lifestyle than what everyone else from my rez lives. All too much on the rez i see people getting pissed as **** and smoke their ganja like ciggs.

It seems to me like the powwow is the rez. Are we supposed to be powwow people? Are we allowed to roll our weed right next to our drum and have a shot of jack daniels at the same time? I know of golden agers who carry a quater ounce of weed with them all the time. **** we might as well clear our throats when we sing with a six of bud.

Heres an Indian Commandment, "do what you know to be right", obviously if a powwow rule is to have no drugs/alcohol around the drum it "probably" came from the sacred teaching of RESPECT. It seems like these powwow stoners say "i'm only human, I make mistakes." MISTAKE MY a$$". Heres a note for you, a MISTAKE is an accident, sometimes something you won't expect, and something you look back on in the future so it won't happen again. A SIN is not an accident, it's something you commit and you know is wrong.

POWWOW IS SOLD
I enjoy competition powwows more so than traditional powwows. I only win a little bit in specials or the main competition, but i know others who think they dance like all that, some of them are sore losers and think they should have placed because the other guys established powwow people and he/she thinks they were a no good dancer. Especially the MADE dancers/drum groups, they're the biggest sore losers of all, just because they win big at powwows they get beat out by a smaller name they say it was fixed. Sometimes the little guys are just way damn better.

I know competition powwow is a form of gambling but i don't let that f****** money get to be the reason why I dance. I dance for the people, the money should be one of the last things I worry about, but sometimes it slips my mind AND I'm only Human, I make mistakes. I also like smoking weed too and having a few beers, BUT I wait out a few days until I sing or dance again. DON'T LET THE MONEY TO GET UNDER THOSE SKULLS OF YOURS. Money won't fill your hungry stomachs, money won't quench your thirsts, and money won't keep your family together. Watch out how you win, if you get pissed off when you don't win its time to stay in your home community, relax and teach the kids how to sing or dance for a couple years, or just don't compete.

Is Powwow a game?
Remember this: we handle sacred and sometimes ceremonial objects (Drums, eagle feathers/parts, pipes) around the powwow grounds and in the powwow.
The childeren are our most valuable resource, so let's raise them properly and with the teachings that were given to our people.

I know alot of people will hate me for my opinions, its allowed, you have your own minds, however I don't think I would be the one with the problem. I just want you to think about my opinion.

hiy hiy Toban Sky
Hi Bro, welcome to the REAL world. I don't hate you for your opinions, they seem sound to me. At 20 years, you have an idealistic view of the world--that's not a negative, it's just that most of us start out that way and eventually realize the reality of life doesn't life up to our expectations. I is definitely disillusioning. Should we reduce our 'standards' or 'integrity'? No, we just need to realize life doesn't happen the way we want it, people don't always behave the way we think they should. You'll give yourself an ulcer or be an angry young man if you don't let some of this go.

No, it isn't right for drums to be sparking up and swigging. Older dancers and smoke? Helps relieve their pain, Dear. These guys are pushing their bodies more than they should. But, when their families need that money to live on, they'll keep pushin. You talk about accidents and mistakes. Truth is, no one is perfect, even you. When we are brought up in homes where we were criticized all the time we tend to demand perfection of ourselves and those around us. Leads to alot of disappointment. And, yes, depending on how you verbalize your feelings you will offend and put people off. They don't 'hate' you, they just don't need or like to be hated on by you. They know their strengths and their weaknesses. Just like you know yours.

I hope you can lighten up a bit and enjoy life. Enjoy your pow-wow experience for what it means to you. What other people do and what it means to them is their personal business. You can't change others, only yourself. Take care.
Blue Poet is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

tigger has a reputation beyond repute
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
i agree with blue poet.......... enjoy the powwow for what it means for you. you can't change what some people do and don't let it get to you.

and it's a new thing for not drdinking at the pow wows. i remember when some pow wows were sponsered by beer companies.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Dancer

shorty has a reputation beyond repute
shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
i love to powwow~!~ i hit alot of traditional powwows ! im not much of a contest dancer but i do love to go n watch them :) ive never really seen anyone at a powwow with drugs n alcohol thats not to say its not their i have heard every now n then that they r and nothing was done about it course i never seen it and usurally if anyones drunk their told to leave but i agree it shouldnt be their ~~specially around lil kids my kids have never been around that sorta stuff and i certainly dont want the place to be a powwow where they see it ~!well anywayz ~!*~! i dont hate you for your opinions!! :)

..BuffaloHorse
..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
RIP lil brother
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
Quote:

POWWOW IS SOLD

Is Powwow a game?

hiy hiy Toban Sky
Hey, Bro-I seen your message and wanted to take a minute to respond.

About smoking and drinking, well, I guess thats for everyone to decide for themsleves. I was taught not to mix those things and powwows, but I have heard of other Nations and Individuals who do not feel that way. But I live in Oakland, CA, so maybe I'm biased...

I get discouraged at Powwows sometimes, too, but for other reasons. Things like gossiping, backbiting, bickering etc. get to me the most. In my culture, gossip is seen as witchcraft, because it is so potentialy harmful to others, so I try to avoid it at all costs. Am I guilty of it, yes, from time to time-why? Because I have a bad heart and want to hurt folks? Nope.. It's just 'cause I'm Human and not perfect.

One thing I learned is that, and I say this with all due respect, Elders mess up too.

We're all Human. And the people you love and respect in life are GOING to hurt you from time to time. But you know what you do is suck it up and be tolerant! As a wise man once said, "Tolerance is the price you have to pay for being tolerated YOURSELF!"

I agree with Blue Poet, inpart. Son, its HELL getting old-I'm 31 and have more metal in me than the Bionic Man. So you go dance yer *ss off out there for us old guys who can't anymore and have a big time doing it! Don't worry so much, and enjoy the fact that we can powwow without getting shot or hanged for it! Take it easy!
tsuj510 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
our children are watching

Rockin Chicken, you raise a lot of good points, and as long as there are people out there like you and tsalaghisam & others, things will be done respectfully & in accordance w/ the REAL ndn way - I definitely hear and share your frustrations, but teach what you know to be right and set an example for others.....It counts more than we'll ever know...
Old 10-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

coupcounter49 will become famous soon enough
Elder or Elderly????

My Dad once said, "To be an Elder, you have to gain that title". We all have a tendency of calling an old person an Elder. There is a big difference between Elder and Elderly. As for drinking and smoking-up at Pow Wows. Hell, that's been going for ever and I don't think we can do anything about it. Damn near all these so-called Medicine Men have been drunk one time or another. Powwows are loaded with hyprocrites, from dancers to singers. They are only fooling themselves.

Last edited by coupcounter49; 10-04-2005 at 12:03 PM..
coupcounter49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
PowWows.com Addicts

**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just think trees, lakes, rolling hills n fresh air.
I seconded that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupcounter49
My Dad once said, "To be an Elder, you have to gain that title". We all have a tendency of calling an old person an Elder. There is a big difference between Elder and Elderly. As for drinking and smoking-up at Pow Wows. Hell, that's been going for ever and I don't think we can do anything about it. Damn near all these so-called Medicine Men have been drunk one time or another. Powwows are loaded with hyprocrites, from dancers to singers. They are only fooling themselves.
Let's quote and unquote that last sentence, "POWWOWS ARE LOADED WITH HYPOCRITES, FROM DANCERS TO SINGERS. THEY ARE ONLY FOOLING THEMSELVES." For some odd reason, natives have this problem that my mom always says, "I tell you something, it goes in one ear, then it goes out the other ear." You can complain and complain, but we are very ignorant people. We don't like people telling us how we are or what we need to change about ourselves, so as long as powwows are around, there will always be booze and drugs. That's a sad statement, but powwow and it's real meaning should be in your heart. Honestly, If see someone drunk or high at a powwow, the level of respect and my own views go out the window. I don't care if you are my friend or relative, I personally hold high standards for myself, you'll never see me at a powwow in that state.

Just keep your head up straight and screwed on right, keep dancing, make yourself strong and live to the fullest............just don't fall down and be a victim of your own thread.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #9
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
well mr. rockin chicken - don't let it get it get you down - you'll be the only one "suffering" in that situation ... "THEY" really don't care what you think of them, if they did they wouldn't be drunk or stoned AT the pow wow.

just go on living your life the way YOU choose to and show your values to your own children ...

and let those drunk/stoned singers/dancers fall to the way side as they always to and be relegated to a distant memory like they are so often are - "hey, what ever happened to **insert drum/dancer name here**?"
Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Don't worry about what anybody else does. I have that policy in my mind, " Live and let live". I can enjoy the powwow, wherever or whatever type it is. Don't sweat it man. It'll ruin your day or weekend.

I fully agree with what Chazzif says, " whatever happened to " I know that some pretty good dancers & singers have gone on a not-so-good path, but what are we to do? It's their lives and people can choose to do with their own lives. Granted, the effects of drugs/alcohol are felt by those closest to them. They gotta learn that by themselves.

Live and let live.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

ma-heench is just really nice
Keep Your Head Up

All this input is so negative and sad, powwows sponsored by beer companies, smoking up at the drum. Alcohol and drug use is not acceptable at powwows.

Keep your personal standards high, don't let people make you think that you can't live that way because everyone else fails. Not everyone fails to live a life with high standards. Its just that not as many people talk about them. As human beings we are pitiful and weak. That doesn't mean you are destined to fail. Let's start pointing out the people who are successful at living a good life and joining in at powwows. Good sports, kind, alcohol and drug free people do powwow and win.
ma-heench is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #12
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
Lightbulb

All of life has a dark side.

If you look for negativity.... you'll find it.

"Stay in the light!"
Old 10-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

MariaMaria is an unknown quantity at this point
i thought it was "go to the light"
;)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,538.52
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria
i thought it was "go to the light"
;)

MM,

Yes, I suppose you're right................

if you don't pay your electric bill. *L
Old 10-07-2005, 02:21 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

backwoodstrees is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

POWWOW IS SOLD

Is Powwow a game?

hiy hiy Toban Sky
YO Being an Elder(64) and well respected I feel that drugs and booze have no place at pow-wows and have personally escorted people of the grounds and then never see them again because done the right way they learn.Yes I still dance a lot and dont need anything!!!!!!!!!!!
backwoodstrees is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2005, 04:04 AM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute**jdazmum** has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just think trees, lakes, rolling hills n fresh air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
MM,

Yes, I suppose you're right................

if you don't pay your electric bill. *L
That was great!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
Hokaaah Grassin'

jumpingbuffalo is a jewel in the rough
Pow-wow, like life, is what you make it & how u react to it.
Every powwow is different and new celebrations are entering the powwow world every year & I lost my point, but anyways like life it's good/bad like ying yang etc. But on a collective whole we can clean up our own, are you willing to help? There isn't a International Powwow committee to form rules, regs, policies & procedures, well not yet and there shouldn't be cause one thing Skins have always been is free flowing. I listen to powwow music every single day and can never tire of it, it's just to Grand an experience to be undefinabley NDN.
As for your initial remark, yeah money can feed you and quench your thirst AND definitely keep your family together, cause nothing in life is free, not anymore, that money pays the grocery bills, utilities, rent, mortgage, car/truck w/ insurance and GASSS to the next powwow. So everyone does dance for their own purpose(s) but I continually am forced to strive for "The Best of Both Worlds" hoka heyyyeee THA TRIBE!!! Yes we must keep our traditions alive yet continually evolve & strive to survive.

One thing I love about each and every powwow (including the wannabe pw's) is that it's all new, each moment, regardless of the singers songs, dancers dance, judges or weather, it's what we make it and what we choose to take from it.