Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Powwows in the South East? Powwows in the South East?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lovlie1 is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Powwows in the South East?

I wanted to hear from some other folks that live down here in the SE region on what they think about powwows down here. I live in Atlanta, so I am limited to powwows within driving distances(6-7hrs). I just recently thought about this becuase of this last powwow I attended and the problems that they had there.

I am orginally from the north, and I can't remember the powwows ever having such problems like the ones down here. I have been told down here that I don't even look like a traditional ndn. What the world does a traditional ndn look like? There is so much tension down here and other problems that sometimes I really don't even go to most of the ones in this region. I know I should not let that keep me from doing what I love and my family says the same, but after a while that it just gets old.

So, what are some other opinions of folks who either live down here or come down here for powwows?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Overall, the pow wows in the SE stink! There are a few noted exceptions of course. There are more troublemakers at these pow wows. A good example would be the MC of the pow wow you went to last weekend. Hang in there...there are some good ones. You just have to look.

On a shameless promotion note: The Cherokee Youth Center is hosting its 4th annual dance this weekend in Cherokee, NC. This is a community style, laid-back pow wow. No BS!
Old 11-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
I never went down that way yet, although I've contemplated. There's a few that may look promising, but most don't have golden age category. Up in the midwest, it's pretty well known that there is a golden age category. People here look at things differently, I suppose.

Some of the ones I've thought about attending - Richmond, Virginia (always the same time as Chicago), Haliwa-Saponi, Cherokee, Meherrin.

Something always tells me not to go. Don't know what it is.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

mortonkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 436.22
Lightbulb Powwows in the Southeast

I think if you attended pow wows that are more "family" oriented you would feel better about going. I would suggest you try attending...

Occaneechee State Park Pow Wow
Clarksville, VA

Nansemond Indian Tribal Festival
Lone Star Lodge, Suffolk, VA

Occaneechi-Saponi Spring Festival
Hillsborough, NC

Native American Educational Festival
Reynolds Homestead
Critz, VA

Occaneechi-Saponi Homecoming
Pleasant Grove, NC

Accohannock Indian Tribe Inc.
Pow Wow, Bending Water Park
Marion Station, MD

Hawkeye Native American Cultural Center
Raeford, NC

These are some of the best pow wows around. The people and spirit are wonderful. Check www.tipofthefeather.com for dates and information. It will be updated again in December for the 2005 season.

Hope to see you at one of them....
mortonkid is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2004, 02:54 PM   #5
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
That def is a bummer that most powwows in this area don't offer Golden Age categories. I think it is probably because we have so much fewer dancers than at powwows out west. If you have 100 - 200 dancers out here you are doing good. Kiwehnzii you def named some of the better powwows out here to think of attending. Personally I haven't been to Meherrin in years (since it became so popular) but I know Lapis Queen works hard to make it be the success it is. And of course we all know I think Richmond is great and the Haliwa-Saponi powwow is also great. I have only been to a few of the ones Morton mentioned and won't be back to those but that is just a matter of opinion and we all know how it is with opinions!
Old 11-09-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
lovlie1

well i hope your going to richmond.i herd its pose to be another goot one
Old 11-09-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

katezninen

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezninen
well i hope your going to richmond.i herd its pose to be another goot one

Sorry no I will not be attending Richmond as it is too far for me to drive by myself. Plus Orangeburg is the same weekend and it is closer so I think I will be going there instead I would love too, because a lot of the folks I met this pat weekend I know are going but.... you know!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:01 PM   #8
cool...calm...collected

bushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
bushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
i think richmond and haliwa-saponi are my favorite powwows to attend... although i try to make it to most of 'em since they are so few & far between... nc is a good pw state, always a fun time and good peoples!

as kiwehnzii mentioned....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
There's a few that may look promising, but most don't have golden age category. Up in the midwest, it's pretty well known that there is a golden age category. People here look at things differently, I suppose.
since the turnout isn't too big, most don't have golden age and some even combine jingle & fancy categories as well as fancy & grass... not to men's & women's traditional is always combined too...
Old 11-09-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
Junior Dancer

U know maybe perhaps it is just that I am a bit older then when I was up north and I notice things a bit more,i.e. the politics. Or maybe I am just trying to compare apples to oranges! :LOL:
Old 11-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #10
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
lovlie1:

I think your definition of being from the north and the definition of southeast needs to be clarified.

When you say north, do you mean Canada, the northern plains or north Georgia?

Most of the people who have posted are from what I consider eastern powwows. I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to not blame a region for putting on a lame powwow.

I have been to powwows in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. This is what I consider southeastern powwows. From first hand accounts, the powwows I attended did many things that I had never seen before. I attribute this to the fact that the sponsors come from tribes that do not have a long and rich powwow history.

Saying that, I tried to be respectful in their ways and abide by their agendas and rules. I also try and make a few new friends in the process.

"Each region has a different way of conducting powwows that works for them. The Yakamas, Crees, Comanches and Anishinabes all conduct their powwows in their own way.

Would anybody try to tell them that they are not doing things correctly?"

For me, diversity and seeing new things is interesting. I try to make the best of being a visitor.

Last edited by WhoMe; 11-09-2004 at 05:44 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
lovlie1:

I think your definition of being from the north and the definition of southeast needs to be clarified.

When you say north, do you mean Canada, the northern plains or north Georgia?

Most of the people who have posted are from what I consider eastern powwows. I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to not blame a region for putting on a lame powwow.

I have been to powwows in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. This is what I consider southeastern powwow. From first hand accounts, the powwows I attended did many things that I had never seen before. I attribute this to the fact that the sponsors come from tribes that do not have a long and rich powwow history.

Saying that, I tried to be respectful in their ways and abide by their agendas and rules.

"Each region has a different way of conducting powwows that works for them. The Yakamas, Crees, Comanches and Anishinabes all conduct their powwows in their own way.

Would anybody try to tell them that they are not doing things correctly?"

For me, diversity and seeing new things is interesting. I try to make the best of being a visitor.

Well then let me clarify myself then. When I say SE I mean anything south of VA and east of Alabama. So I think that would be TN, GA, FL, NC, SC, and AL. Excuse me everyone if I did not make that clear and when I say the north I mean the northern states of the US and into Canada! There is that enough clarification?

Last edited by lovlie1; 11-09-2004 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: typo
lovlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #12
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovlie1
Well then let me clarify myself then. When I say SE I mean anything south of VA and east of Alabama. So I think that would be TN, GA, FL, NC, SC, and AL. Excuse me everyone if I did not make that clear and when I say the north I mean the northern states of the US and into Canada! There is that enough clarification?
__

lovlie1:

I don't want this to be a confrontational thread because it has great possiblities for some good exchange of info.

Also everyone was not involved... just me.

I was simply. . .

"wanting some clarification of where in the north you were from."
Old 11-09-2004, 06:10 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
__

lovlie1:

I don't want this to be a confrontational thread because it has great possiblities for some good exchange of info.

Also everyone was not involved... just me.

I was simply. . .

"wanting some clarification of where in the north you were from."

by no means did i mean to come across that way, if i did i am sorry. u r right there could be something good that comes out of the thread. I am originally from CT(born) and NJ(raised).

did not mean to bite ur head off!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:38 AM   #14
Junior Dancer

Babe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 633.00
Southeast, huh?
Atmore, Alabama has a powwow on Thanksgiving day, hear they got pretty good size and prize money. There's Seminole's Powwow in Hollywood, Florida - will be havin their powwow second weekend in February 2005 (hear they're definately having one next year.) Cherokee, North Carolina during 4th of July is always good. Just a little west of AL there's Alabama-Coushatta 37th Annual Powwow in Livingston, Texas first weekend in June, and then Coushatta Powwow in Kinder, Louisiana first weekend in October.
Babe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2004, 12:56 AM   #15
Teen's Contemporary Trad.

sunbursthonor is just really nice
Location: Probably somewhere in the www.powwows.com game room *LOL* no seriously, in GA
Thumbs up

what??? no one mentioned Stoner MTN.! All kidding aside Stone MTN has a great powwow! it was much larger this year than last year. It is a great powwow.
thx,
mike
Old 11-10-2004, 08:42 AM   #16
Junior Dancer

Lapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond reputeLapis Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
I never went down that way yet, although I've contemplated. There's a few that may look promising, but most don't have golden age category. Up in the midwest, it's pretty well known that there is a golden age category. People here look at things differently, I suppose.

Some of the ones I've thought about attending - Richmond, Virginia (always the same time as Chicago), Haliwa-Saponi, Cherokee, Meherrin.

Something always tells me not to go. Don't know what it is.

I think that all the powwows that you listed above are great powwows Kiwehnzii. I think if you would give them a chance, you would want to come back. That is also my opinion. I think as each of them steadily grow that more categories will be added. I know that we do not combine jingle and fancy or grass and fancy in our adult categories. We have in the Junior categories and I am working on that. As a Southern Traditional Dancer myself, I know how hard it is to dance against Northern dancers and I am also trying to work on that. As I have said before a Golden Age will be added b/c it is needed, but these are steps that we are taking. No... we can't do them as fast as some would like, but I feel we are moving in the right direction. I just hope that the bad experiences will not overshadow the good ones. I think if you or anyone will just attend one of the powwows that you listed, you will be welcomed and I feel you will have a good time. Haliwa-Saponi is always the 3rd weekend in April and Meherrin is always the 4th weekend in October. Of course you know Richmond is this weekend. I am not sure of all the Cherokee dates, but I do believe they have Memorial Day powwow, 4th of July and a Youth powwow that was already mentioned. Try some of these. If you don't like them, then you haven't lost anything, but you have experienced it and now don't have to wonder they are good powwows. Just my 2 cents.
Lapis Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2004, 10:15 AM   #17
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Mortonkid...sorry to say, but most of the pow wows you mentioned are part of the problem in the SE. And, what the heck is the Accohannock Indian Tribe Inc.?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #18
BikerBoyNDNStyle

DANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant future
Credits: 70.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
Mortonkid...sorry to say, but most of the pow wows you mentioned are part of the problem in the SE. And, what the heck is the Accohannock Indian Tribe Inc.?
They are a State recognized tribe in Marion Station, MD., on the Eastern Shore. I've been there before and was definitely surprised. Hardly any dancers but alot of good seafood at the end.

In my opinion, you have good and bad at all p/w's. There is always going to be something that goes on that someone will not like but others agree with. Like at the Meherrin p/w this year. It rained on that Sunday, so things were held off for awhile until we found out what the weather was going to do. A couple of dancers came up to me and stated that they had danced in the rain before and it would not bother them. Still the majority said that they did not want to take the chance on messing up their dance outfit, especially the satin dresses. Well, the rain did not end and we had to take the scores from Saturday. Overall, everyone seemed to be pleased because of the decision to call it on Sunday.

Not every p/w is conducted the same. They are all different. It is up to the individual(s) if they want to go back to that p/w or not. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #19
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
Hey DE, if I am not mistaken they are not state recognized because there are no state recognized tribes in MD. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Also, they are more of an organization, that is why it is Accohanock Tribe, Inc. Like I said someone can correct me if I am wrong
Old 11-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #20
Junior Dancer

Unhappy Ok

When I speak about problems in the SE at powwows I am not speaking about the forces of nature , because not matter what region of the us or even Canada for that matter you will always have do deal with the weather. Like in July I was up in Saskatoon and it was 50 degrees. Now I personlly don't care for that but what do you do!

What I am talking about is how people treat each other. I have witnessed a lot of cases, even against me of people trying to "out ndn the next".

So it is very hard to give a powwow a second chance when you go to it for the first time and people are nasty toward you. No one needs that especially at a powwow, where we are all ndn's no matter if we are from different tribes, bands, or nations. We should all give each other the respect that we would like in return.