Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Powwows: Is it a universal Indian thing? Powwows: Is it a universal Indian thing?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
Savings: 0.00
Question Powwows: Is it a universal Indian thing?

I often talk to people who wish to learn more about powwows.

One quote I use is, "Where ever there are pockets of Indians, there are powwows. Powwows are held in all 50 states."

I know not every Indian powwows and there are many Indians who do not go to powwows for one reason or another.

In thinking about this further,

I wonder .... are there individuals from every tribe and first nations group that powwow?

I know of Inuits and Inupiats (Alaska and Nanuvit) who powwow. I know a Passamaquoddy (Maine) who powwows. I know a Wiyot and Mono (Northern and Central California) who powwows. I know Native Hawaiians who powwow. I know of Houmas and Miccosukees (Louisiana and Florida) who powwow.

What tribes or native groups can you think of that have absolutely no individual members that powwow?

Are powwows (and believing in The Creator) and possibly frybread *L the only things that are universal to Natives and First Nations people?

Last edited by WhoMe; 12-28-2006 at 11:21 AM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
cool...calm...collected

bushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
bushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
hmmmmm...

this is a good question... and kinda hard to answer.

i would like to agree and say that yes powwows are universal, but it's not always the deal...

over the years i've noticed more and more people participating in powwows who aren't typically powwow people... or powwow tribes... and they do participate (whether they dance or sing) and travel from powwow to powwow

i guess i always assumed that powwows were universal... until one year a group of us ndns went to schemitzun to look on... and i learned otherwise...
it caught me off guard when my friends (who were onondaga, pueblo and yaqui) didn't know a thing about powwows! they didn't know the different dance styles, the difference between northern & southern singing, protocol, etc...
i was shocked!... and kinda bummed at the same time because i LOVE powwows and couldn't really share the same kinda love w/my fellow skins. granted they may have been to a powwow or two in their past... they didn't care to look on, watch the dances and of course ever particpate... which is why they didn't really know anything about 'em
it really threw me off and made me think about it again and realize that these folks aren't powwow people and don't even know the first thing about it! i tried to tell them as much as i could and explain as best as i could, but to me they just couldn't appreciate it as much as i - how could they if they weren't powwow people?
it was so different to experience something like that because i grew up around powwows... as soon as i learned to walk, i was out there dancing... and i've always naturally assumed other skins were the same way, that they were universal and we all shared the same kinda knowledge - but i guess not! i guess i'm fortunate in a way...
anyway it's hard to answer whether they're universal or not because i've encountered a lot of folks like that who don't know the first thing... and it could be for a variety of reasons - however i don't think being a city ndn is any kind of excuse!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
~Erica~

eap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Savings: 1.00
When I was in college, a lot of the Navajos would say "Navajos don't powwow, we ceremony" but that was an excuse to not help with our college powwow. I think everyone knows a Navajo who does powwow.
eap7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
This Jenny has been around the block...........kiddin....

Well I have seen Hoopa too, Cabazon, Yaqui, lots of the smaller tribes at the powwows but not too many powwow dancers, they mostly do shows of their dances at the powwow events, their mostly into their bird singing and stick game contests. There are many southern tribes that don't powwow, persay, but there are so many 'mixed' bloods that most of them end up powwowing...LOL

I always have to remember not everyone powwows. There are alot of people in our Native American Club who has never seen a powwow or even know about it, yet alone their own heritage. So its been fun educating these kids and families, while educating ourselves. Believe it or not, not all Navajo's powwow either..... **shock**.

Powwows to me are just a gathering of fun, competition, food, getting to see old faces and meet new ones. It's just a good way to have the lil one in a positive environment instead of lookin to the streets, etc. Now that he's growin up the elders that are in the circuit, the sober ones, and the wise ones that are involved really help him in more ways than one. It's no way our ceremony, etc, we get that done back home. But its something we choose to do every weekend we can get, cuz its fun.........

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

Hank_Shelton has much to be proud ofHank_Shelton has much to be proud ofHank_Shelton has much to be proud ofHank_Shelton has much to be proud ofHank_Shelton has much to be proud ofHank_Shelton has much to be proud ofHank_Shelton has much to be proud ofHank_Shelton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe

What tribes or native groups can you think of that have absolutely no individual members that powwow?

Are powwows (and believing in The Creator) and possibly frybread *L the only things that are universal to Natives and First Nations people?
Answer to #1: The Slapahoes don't pow wow, just '9.

Answer to #2: We also have alcohol and promiscuity in common.
Hank_Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,154.33
Aztecs 'n those So. American tribes that hang upside down from a polel-nooooo, not that sort of upside down from a pole, lol-or are we talking No. American tribes only.
Tiyospaye Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

debbieyd is a name known to all
Thumbs up Naaaaah................

The B I N G O halls are, yep they surely are universal Indian past times too!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 11,819.18
Quote:
I often talk to people who wish to learn more about powwows.

One quote I use is, "Where ever there are pockets of Indians, there are powwows. Powwows are held in all 50 states."

I know not every Indian powwows and there are many Indians who do not go to powwows for one reason or another.

In thinking about this further,

I wonder .... are there individuals from every tribe and first nations group that powwow?

I know of Inuits and Inupiats (Alaska and Nanuvit) who powwow. I know a Passamaquoddy (Maine) who powwows. I know a Wiyot and Mono (Northern and Central California) who powwows. I know Native Hawaiians who powwow. I know of Houmas and Miccosukees (Louisiana and Florida) who powwow.

i dont think it can be applied as a universal kinda thing. even in my own family it varies, my wife and i powwow. i have a sister who hits maybe one or two powwows a year. my father wont powwow (not doesnt, but wont) other siblings dont but would if they sold beer.

but heres a new question for you....
how are you defining the verb of 'powwow'?
my wife is a white colar professional and im a contractor so we dont get to hit as many as we'd like but we do get to as many as we can. usually about 10 to 15 a year.
now, my sister who hits maybe 1 or 2 year.... as compared to us does she 'powwow' ?
how many powwows a year do you have to average before you 'powwow'? or does just going to one at all mean you 'powwow'?
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluteMaker
but heres a new question for you....
how are you defining the verb of 'powwow'?

FluteM,

Powwow (v) - refers to the act of voluntarily attending powwows (*my own definition).

I am trying to substantiate my opinion that "someone in almost every single tribe, First Nations and Alaskan native group - Powwows (v)?"
Old 01-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
I think it will be hard to find a tribe that does not have a least one person who powwows.

Even that small tribe at the bottom of the Grand Canyon powwows and even host a powwow. lol

Maybe that one small tribe in way south texas, that speaks spanish?,,?....????

I had a "christian" indian lady tell me once that powwows were the bad because indians dance to the devil. So that is why her husband won't go. Several years later, I saw that same woman at a powwow. She had gotten divorced and was now dating/married to a gourd dancer. LOL
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom
She had gotten divorced and was now dating/married to a gourd dancer. LOL

kiyaani,

That's because dem' gourd dancers really know "HOW TO SHAKE IT!"

*L
Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 11,819.18
Quote:
FluteM,

Powwow (v) - refers to the act of voluntarily attending powwows (*my own definition).

I am trying to substantiate my opinion that "someone in almost every single tribe, First Nations and Alaskan native group - Powwows (v)?"

i think pretty much every tribe or nation is gooing to have at least a few representative powwow goers. just as all tribes and nations are going to have representative church goers, politicians etc., etc.
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #13
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom
I had a "christian" indian lady tell me once that powwows were the bad because indians dance to the devil...
I was told the Indian Shaker Church (mostly a Northwest Coastal/Plateau thing) originally forbid its members to go to powwows or any other kind of Indian "ceremony". But I know several Shakers that powwow today. The Sauk-Suiattle Powwow even had a Shaker Church service before the Sunday session.

Back to the topic in general...

My Coastal friends all tell me the same thing ... Plains Indian powwows were never a part of their ways, but many Coastal tribes adopted the tradition. I know quite a few Coastals who don powwow regalia all throughout the summer, then put it away to do their traditional ways by winter. They say there are people within their communities who are actually sort of against powwows because they are afraid their own canoe/smokehouse culture could get lost in it. I dunno. Those Coastals who powwow seem to keep separate whatever needs to be separate, and whatever isn't I guess just has to be handled within their own communities. The Plateau/River families over the decades managed to mix their own old ways with the Plains ways very well; in fact I am told the Roundbustle actually comes to the powwow from the Plateau, and yet the powwow itself was never from here. I sit on a drum every Wednesday with about eight young Yakama boys, only two of whom go to Washat and none go to Shaker Church or medicine dance, but yet they and so many of their relatives are multi-generation powwow dancers. It is so mixed in that there really doesn't seem to be any conflct. They are no less "Yakama" than even the most ardent Longhouse families, many of whom are also powwowers anyway.

It just goes to show that powwow is sort of universal, and really not all that universal, at least up here in the Northwest, if that makes any sense...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
I think those that don't pow-wow don't understand what's really going on there.

Its a large gathering of all types of tribes in one place. How could one NOT think a good time is going on? or maybe thats the fear... tooooo good of a time is going on.
superndngyrl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakalapi
I was told the Indian Shaker Church (mostly a Northwest Coastal/Plateau thing) originally forbid its members to go to powwows or any other kind of Indian "ceremony". But I know several Shakers that powwow today. The Sauk-Suiattle Powwow even had a Shaker Church service before the Sunday session.

My Coastal friends all tell me the same thing ... Plains Indian powwows were never a part of their ways, but many Coastal tribes adopted the tradition....

Wakalpi,

The coastal tribes along with many, many other tribes that did not have powwows before have adopted powwow.

I recently had a conversation about this with a good friend of mine. He brought out a good point. "There are many tribes in existance today that are "Culturally Bankrupt" and have adopted powwow to fulfill a need of inclusion with other native people and culture."

Is this valid?

Another good point of discussion that you brought up would be " many ceremonial people are concerned about how powwows are taking their people away from their ceremonial obligations." This concern is widespread across North America.

Any comment? Anyone?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
I still catch hell 4

Quote:
Wakalpi,

The coastal tribes along with many, many other tribes that did not have powwows before have adopted powwow.

I recently had a conversation about this with a good friend of mine. He brought out a good point. "There are many tribes in existance today that are "Culturally Bankrupt" and have adopted powwow to fulfill a need of inclusion with other native people and culture."

Is this valid?

Another good point of discussion that you brought up would be " many ceremonial people are concerned about how powwows are taking their people away from their ceremonial obligations." This concern is widespread across North America.

Any comment? Anyone?
Powwowing over other obligations..... My Grandfather always used to give us chit about that....My older Bro still does....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why many people powwow, I only know why I do. My late grandmother was Nez Perce and I started singing to honour her memory. My children dance to respect that side of our people and it is a part of what we are. My father is Coast Salish and there are dances we belong to because we were born into them. There is really no reason why we do this, it is just a part of us.

My wife is from another territory and my children participate in those dances as well. Our blood defines which heritage we follow. The time of year also helps determine when we participate in each culture.

I like the powwows because for the most part they discourage use of drugs and alcohol. Many people who are vulnerable to that participate in powwows to help them live a clean and sober lifestyle. We enjoy most of the people we meet and they have become friends who are truly valued. We have met people from all over North America and while we don't see them often enough we are happy when he have an opportunity to have a conversation.

We would like to attend as many powwows as possible but we have responsibilities in our community. Sometimes we have to go to my wife's community and that is a 10-12 hour sojourn. We have gone there in one day and returned home the next due to work or other commitments. We don't complain about it for two reasons, it is what we believe to be our responsibilities to be good ndns and also because nobody really listens when you whine about things.

my $.02
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc
I don't know why many people powwow, I only know why I do. My late grandmother was Nez Perce and I started singing to honour her memory. My children dance to respect that side of our people and it is a part of what we are. My father is Coast Salish and there are dances we belong to because we were born into them. There is really no reason why we do this, it is just a part of us.

My wife is from another territory and my children participate in those dances as well. Our blood defines which heritage we follow. The time of year also helps determine when we participate in each culture.

I like the powwows because for the most part they discourage use of drugs and alcohol. Many people who are vulnerable to that participate in powwows to help them live a clean and sober lifestyle. We enjoy most of the people we meet and they have become friends who are truly valued. We have met people from all over North America and while we don't see them often enough we are happy when he have an opportunity to have a conversation.

We would like to attend as many powwows as possible but we have responsibilities in our community. Sometimes we have to go to my wife's community and that is a 10-12 hour sojourn. We have gone there in one day and returned home the next due to work or other commitments. We don't complain about it for two reasons, it is what we believe to be our responsibilities to be good ndns and also because nobody really listens when you whine about things.

my $.02

Badman,

These are some really good quotes for anyone doing research on the powwow.

Thank you for your good words!
Old 01-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #19
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Wakalpi,

Is this valid?

Any comment? Anyone?

I belong to 2 tribes both of whom have adopted powwows.

1st of all, I would say the premise that "culturally bankrupt" tribes tend to adopt powwows is probably true in a lot of cases. I would also say that "culturally bankrupt" skins do the same.

2nd: In the case of the powwow causing people to abandon their ceremonial obligations. Yeah that is probably true. But I would also say, it isn't just powwows. For the Navajos, I see a lot of people practicing NAC (navtive american church) instead of using our own Navajo ceremonies.

Lastly, I think Indian people are highly adaptable. We tend to adopt, adapt, and assimilate. It has happen for many many generations. That is one of the main reasons why we are still here in American. I also think today's culture is nore of a danger to NDN identity, than the govt. policies over the last 200 years.

and that is probably way more than a lot of people cared to know.. ha ha.
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #20
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,523.66
Bringing up interesting OLD Threads!
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links