Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Princesses with "soiled" banners? Princesses with "soiled" banners?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Savings: 0.00
Princesses with "soiled" banners?

What does the indian populace think of our tribal, society, and pow wow princesses who tend to be naughty while holding their title?
Personally, I am from the old school, where you were chaperoned while holding your title. Also, it was understood that for that one year, your life was not your own, but belonged to the people you were representing, that was the commitment you made when you ran for princess. My girls go on ndnsports. com and laugh and tell me(and show me) how some of the princesses who are representing us are being very naughty, club hopping, snagging, partying, and blatently telling about it as if it were a joke.
I am not comfortable with this, but they aren't my daughters, either. But if my tribal princess, pow wow princess,etc. was on the internet and people were talking about her, I would be complaining to somebody in charge. I guess the "net" makes our business, everybody's business. LOL
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Where I come from, princesses are chosen by the families. The girls are chosen by the way they present themselves, how well their families are capable of helping the committee, we don't have "pagents or contests". But as far as princesses partying and carrying on like fools...that just isn't right, but who is gonna tell them?

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
tradish_wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Yup, I have seen some young princesses running around looking all rugged, with their crown all crooked and banner wrinkled. And I think if it were my daughter, she would be sitting and representing her crown in the proper manner. I also have seem some princesses with big hickies. :Eyepopper If those girls were representing me in any way. I would either tell them I don't like it. And/or take the issue to the committee or people who picked this girl.

I have seen and hear of some princesses signing a contract. That would probably be a good idea for such a highly visible position.

You know what else I don't like....... Princesses who are suppose to representin', but never go anywhere. So you never see them at powwows.
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
bl@ckfoothoney

who gives a chit about princesses i sure as hell dont most princesses r dogs all girls wanna do is run for princess jus to try an b known there nothing but tramps all they do is party have hickies smoke weed an sleep around im talkin about the princesses i know not all so all u princesses out there dont have a mojor cow over this
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Yikes!!!! So, in other words BFH, you are saying being a princess does not hold all the respect it has in the past and this is just a "sign of the times" and no big deal. I can see that too, and it is a shame, a sad shame.
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
I don't care if people expect these bad behaviors of these young ladies who run for these positions; I still occasionally will see young ladies who do very well after they've run, and go on through college and make their tribes and family very proud. I think the standards should be kept high. The only problem I see is that, when a young lady/girl screws up, they don't usually strip her title from her, like they promised would happen. That would really teach a lesson to future applicants, and make it clear that when they sign up to run for these positions, the seriousness of what they may be picked to do.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

Items Present
thizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond repute
thizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,499.29
I seen a "title holder" that was pregnant wearing her banner at a small powwow, i was like, what??????????????? If they dont want to change their behavior, then they shouldnt run for the title. you dont have to be perfect, but at least have respect for the title if not yourself.
thizgirlpowwows is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2004, 09:01 PM   #8
PowWows.com Addicts

Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,042.85
Our princess contest has gotten to the point that if you have a Minor In Possession charge, you can't run for princess. If you are caught while you are reigning with an MIP, you will be stripped of your title.

I believe that princesses need to respect the fact that they are the representatives of their communities and how they act is a direct represention of how the community will be viewed to a group of people. What they do has bearing on how they will be received and viewed by people. I don't think most girls understand that fully.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

mi_thi_gong will become famous soon enough
Credits: 636.60
IF I was one of those girls all princessed up, acting all kinds of ruggit, MY FAMILY would have DEALT with me! Do these girls' families have no shame either?
mi_thi_gong is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2004, 04:10 PM   #10
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
i believe that princeses should act like younbg ladies, not barbarians. if you can't behave, then you don't have the right to enter the contest. if i acted the way some of these girls do when i was their age, my mother would have two options: hit me soo hard that i would landed on the moon or shoot me dead.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #11
Powwow Chair Carrier

uw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Oregon State University for School, Yakama Rez is home
Credits: 958.69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeshigaud
....I believe that princesses need to respect the fact that they are the representatives of their communities and how they act is a direct represention of how the community will be viewed to a group of people. What they do has bearing on how they will be received and viewed by people. I don't think most girls understand that fully.
I think you're right Smeshigaud. The princesses are representatives of their communities.

There are some princesses who choose to represent the dignity and pride of their community and there are some girls who choose to represent the disfunction & 'ruggedness' of their community.

I have a lot of respect for various titles: Miss NCAI, MIW, Miss Navajo Nation, Miss YN, Miss Indian Nations, Miss Warm Springs. . . . I've seen the girls who compete for these titles getting up before sunrise to lay out their outfits for the day, practicing their talents months before-hand, and put-up with BS from people around them with more grace & patience than I could ever hope to have in that kind of situation.

These are titles that require a lot of the chosen representative.

There are some titles that are based on ticket sales, and the girls who get those titles aren't always on top of their game. HOWEVER!!!!! - Even ticket sales require a lot of work and a lot of support from the girls' family.

I feel bad for the Princesses that don't represent their families, tribes, and communties in a good way. People are always watching them...and even long after they give up their title, people will remember how they held it in a bad way.

My Website
uw_n8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2004, 04:04 AM   #12
bl@ckfoothoney

tickets sales is it who sells the most tickets wins the crown ...LMAO those princesses dont count all they do is sell tickets its not alot of work all they do is sell tickets i seen thise kinda princess thingamajig wat about the princesses that work hard for the crown or there talents an speeches man ticket sales is a peice of cake
Old 06-20-2004, 12:02 PM   #13
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
BFH... you are now my favorite poster. You crack me up every time.
Kool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2004, 12:15 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
You got that right KB. I love 'er! lol

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #15
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,654.90
well, I've heard of Tribal princess candidates going door to door, campaigning to be their prospective Tribes' Tribal Princess as if it was an election (by popular vote). I'm thinking if that's the case, then what if one girl has more family than others and so on??

I just think it's up to the dicretion of the families who allow their daughter to represent each tribe/organization.

I also see a lot nowadays that MC'S ask that each princess state their name, tribe, and who they represent. Shouldn't contestants be allowed to have a interview/speech contest??

Last edited by ac_miss; 06-20-2004 at 02:47 PM..
ac_miss is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
bl@ckfoothoney

*bowz to ojibsweetie and koolb *thank ya
Old 06-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #17
Tiny Tot Dancer

Lil Stinker is on a distinguished road
Did someone say princesses with soiled panties?
Lil Stinker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2004, 03:00 PM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

ndn_thyme has a brilliant futurendn_thyme has a brilliant futurendn_thyme has a brilliant futurendn_thyme has a brilliant futurendn_thyme has a brilliant futurendn_thyme has a brilliant futurendn_thyme has a brilliant futurendn_thyme has a brilliant futurendn_thyme has a brilliant future
i got the biggest laff this year at DMPW when the princess rapped about her panties dropping, lol -- what kind of princess? guess that says it all!
ndn_thyme is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2004, 06:40 PM   #19
Powwow Chair Carrier

uw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Oregon State University for School, Yakama Rez is home
Credits: 958.69
ticket sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ckfoothoney
tickets sales is it who sells the most tickets wins the crown ...LMAO those princesses dont count all they do is sell tickets its not alot of work all they do is sell tickets i seen thise kinda princess thingamajig wat about the princesses that work hard for the crown or there talents an speeches man ticket sales is a peice of cake
Tickets sales can be rough - especially on younger candidates. I saw a Junior candidate sell 2,100 tickets - that probably required a lot of time and energy from her and her family. Most candidates that sell tickets go around and around and around the arena at several powwows to sell tickets....and man....they get told NO more times than yes. Some folks are pretty rude when they say NO - I'm not going to buy any tickets.

Selling tickets puts a candidate directly out into the community....and sometimes the community is the hardest judge.

sooooo.....i disagree with u....I say that candidates that sell tickets do count.

My Website
uw_n8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2004, 11:20 AM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

side_step_n_beauty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinker
Did someone say princesses with soiled panties?
GEEEZZZ...Not that rugged...LoL...
side_step_n_beauty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links