Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Repost from Willow Jack  Passing the word on to you guys.......... Repost from Willow Jack Passing the word on to you guys..........

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
X49ER is on a distinguished road
Credits: 613.00
Savings: 0.00
Repost from Willow Jack Passing the word on to you guys..........

I'm re-posting this....

Repost from Willow Jack

Passing the word on to you guys..........

Mar 16, 2009 7:15 PM

Hello everyone,
I have been following this since some friends of mine were raided last week. It has been part of an ongoing investigation for two years and anyone, ANYONE who does feather work is being targeted. Other targets are those who trade or give feathers to any of these feather-workers. From what I have noticed, the main targets have been N.A.C. peeps. Now the Eagle Act says bartering of feathers is illegal, so NO-ONE TRADE any feathers. The FEDS are really watching. Don't even openly give away any feathers.

I think those who have been involved need to contact the Native American Rights Fund. This is a form of "policing" how we handle our own sacred items. Now, I am not overlooking the fact that there were some feathers poached by individuals but many of the people targeted don't even kill eagles, they trade.

Whoever 's feathers were with them people caught at the time, HAVE LOST their feathers!!!
Now if the FEDS want us to be required to carry documents, what is happening to our religious freedom and our sovereignty? What is next, peyote? More loss of sacred sites and sacred practices? I really think we should pay mind to things like this because, as one friend said "YOU WOULD NEVER SEE THEM CONFISCATING CROSSES OUT OF A CHURCH".

So if you know of anyone involved, take a stand and perhaps file a class action lawsuit or gather leaders to advocate for their people. We cannot act like this is nothing because the decisions made by the FEDS affect each and every one of us.

THANK god I have papers for my feathers and fans, they all came from the National Eagle Repository, But what about our old old feathers? I know my fam carries a warbonnet from a battle in 1867. How do we protect feathers given to us by our elders or feathers we have gotten from family members who have passed? We don't bury those things, they are sacred and must live on to carry them prayers out.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but so far the case has been building for two years, the FEDS have pics of powwow peeps and N.A.C. peeps. They have someone on their side who knows people and they are keeping tabs through snowballing.

They even have pics of peeps at Denver March last year!
IF YOU KNOW of anyone who has been raided, make sure they take names of officers, ask for a list of items taken and be as careful as they can. I suggest a class action law suit and I suggest action be taken by our tribal leaders. Do not allow the FEDS to tell us how to be, we know how to be and do not need more paternalism than we have as Indigenous people.

Aho,
Willow Jack

Native American Rights Fund
1506 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80302
Phone: (303) 447-8760
Fax: (303) 443-7776

The Native American Rights Fund, a national non-profit law firm, has been dedicated to providing the highest quality of legal services in our representation of Native American interests since 1970. Fees are negotiable.

Our practice areas include:

* Jurisdictional and Tribal Sovereignty Issues
* Land Claims
* Water Rights
* Environmental Law
* Economic Development
* Tribal Codes and Constitutions
* Hunting and Fishing Rights
* Trust Lands and Trust Responsibility
* Treaty Rights
* Recognition
* Education
* Indigenous Voting Rights
* Religious Rights

If you have a legal matter that involves federal Indian law and would like to request legal assistance from our organization, please send your request in writing to the Litigation Management Committee. Attention: Clela Rorex, Law Office Administrator.

Litigation Management Committee

* Kim Gottschalk
* Natalie Landreth
* Melody McCoy

Native American Rights Fund
1506 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80302
Phone: (303) 447-8760
Fax: (303) 443-7776
X49ER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Powwows.com Princess

Items Panda
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,530.89
Dang!

Be careful!

I'd be so mad if that happened to mine.
ugidali is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
X,

It's starting isn't it! Check out this article.

4 arrested for investigation of eagle poaching

I know a couple of these guys.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,473.41
Savings: 1.00
This has been a hot topic around here
Dig out those Permits and keep them with you at all times!

The other problem is they do not have a way to determine the age of a feather unless its like pertified
So those feathers that have been with families since before 1960 are exempt under the letter of the law...
During a raid they take everything and then the burden of proof is up to you! How in the hell do you prove that those feathers are exempt!!!

Myspace/facebook is looked at by the Feds, So those really keen fans and feathers that are posted on there makes you a target, no longer do they just wander through powwows or by word of mouth they can just sit back and watch and collect information until they have a area to raid
More bang for the buck
Denver March is one such Hot Area

All my feathers have permits and I have copies in the truck, with my fans, in my house, in my wallet and hanging on the wall as art, I Never leave home without them...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
at denver one year, maybe late 80s, we were running late for grand entry, running through the parking lot putting on my roach when some guy yells, hey you, come here. Well, I was in my late teens, stupid, so I start walking over to this van. One of the guys I was with came running up behind me and grabbed me by the arm and drug me away before I got clsoe to the van. Turns out, they were selling frozen eagles, had a van full of coolers of them, the feds were also in the parking lot and busted them that night. So it on the news the next day. For some reason, Denver has always seemed like a hot spot of both trading/selling feathers and of the feds busting people.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
sanpoil24

myles has a reputation beyond repute
myles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond reputemyles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
whoo thats some scary news im not going to give any of my eagle feather ill put them in my hat instead
Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

X49ER is on a distinguished road
Credits: 613.00
Just a tought!!

uil

Last edited by X49ER; 02-09-2010 at 02:39 PM..
X49ER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by X49ER View Post
The Issues Is so much larger than the guys in the paper or the poachers..It is an all out Attack on 1st Adm rights under the US Const!

it is also Cultural genocide!

Next It will be something more than feathers and Fan Makers for Pow wow and NAC! It will be bead workers homes will be raided, Drum makers homes will be raided, Singers homes will be raided Why because they are around people who pow wow and are active in NAC o they must have feathers.. it is just around the corner So Like I have said before hold on to those COMOD Feathers that the Gov has been so kind to give out to those they feel have Earned them, Stand here in line make your Mark Indian we will be glad to keep track of your sacred Items! Same way the Nazi keep track of Jews with Guns want to know where everyone was or they would raid your house take people away then they took those items and history tells the rest.. I think Indians, tribes fed And State and non enrolled folks can best decide how they practice their ways without the Fish and Wildlife busting down doors and raiding the homes of Fan makers it was much more than the Four knuckle heads in the paper!

My two son 10, 11 saw me run around gathering up STUFF pulling stuff packing up the cedar boxes , because I got a call from some Bros saying fan makers where the targets! Now my Boys keep asking why would someone not want me to Indian and have these things.. They both want to put on their Indian Cloths and march up to Whitehouse and demand to speak to Obama,, All of their feathers have been handed down and there not COMOD feathers that where rotten or touched by and handled by folks at the repo lot.. So for all that are so quick to line up sign up don't want any trouble and always have disclaimer I have my repo papers put I feel bad for those that don't..

Where would Indians be if our Great Great grandfathers submitted so quickly,,

one phrase: those Old folks Carried the Drum through the hard times.. For those that don't know the Drum here is a metaphor for all these Indian ways.

If you need help Call NARF,,

We need to have the Million Fan March ON DC!!

I will tell you no other Cultural that has religious ties to Items would stand for this!!

Again this is so much larger than those four you see in the news close your blinds or in my case bed sheets the Feds are watching you! BOO
I agree with everything you say
However its those few knuckleheads that decide on there own that the law dont pertain to them

Hey if a ndn man wants to go out and take an eagle and use it for ceremony purposes is one thing

But lets not lose sight of who was busted here! They were SELLING Feathers
That Lumps all NDN's Together always has and always will
The few that dont think that they will get caught do these things and the ones that are using them for ceremony also suffer!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Head Dancer

Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Lakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota_winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,765.68
well my thing is this..if the feather was given to the indigneous peoples through ceremony b/f the whiteman..then why do we have to abide by their laws..our whole lives are spiritual then why is it that we can only use them for ceremonies..and based on what theory??? that they can tell us how to live and what to do when and where...??? Its the same double standard applied again and again...they are the ones who developed the money market..but yet again the indigenous people can not and shall not do this b/c of this law and that law...what about our laws did they ever obey them?? I don't know what the answer is but...we never wasted animals or anything..only what we needed..they brought greed to us..and now they tell oops sorry you can't do that or you are going to jail...hmmmmmmm it makes me think they always seem to target indigneous males..or is it just me???

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

Last edited by Lakota_winyan; 03-18-2009 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: additions
Lakota_winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
What I don't understand is the government's priorities right now....with the AIG and Madoff scandals in everyone's faces, why are eagle feathers, which have no value to anyone other than Native people, such a big deal right now to anyone?

yes, they are an endangered species...but that was not due to Natives, it was due to white sport hunters who saw no other value in those feathers besides proof of having killed something...look at those old western movies with "Indian's" in them...the black and white feathers in the war bonnets on the "Indians" are real...and there are countless numbers of real black and white feathers in those old movies.

I read my permit and it says that eagle feathers can be passed on, or given, but never bought, sold, or bartered for.

This is just messed up. I'm not defending those who were stupid enough to poach those eagles...but raiding the homes and opening investigations on people who posess feathers, when there is so much other crap going on in this country, is just ridiculous beyond belief.

Last edited by ndnMSW; 03-18-2009 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: had to fix some typos
ndnMSW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnMSW View Post
What I don't understand is the government's priorities right now....with the AIG and Madoff scandals in everyone's faces, why are eagle feathers, which have no value to anyone other than Native people, such a big deal right now to anyone?

yes, they are an endangered species...but that was not due to Natives, it was due to white sport hunters who saw no other value in those feathers besides proof of having killed something...look at those old western movies with "Indian's" in them...the black and white feathers in the war bonnets on the "Indians" are real...and there are countless numbers of real black and white feathers in those old movies.

I read my permit and it says that eagle feathers can be passed on, or given, but never bought, sold, or bartered for.

This is just messed up. I'm not defending those who were stupid enough to poach those eagles...but raiding the homes and opening investigations on people who posess feathers, when there is so much other crap going on in this country, is just ridiculous beyond belief.
My sentiments exactly.

Maybe our Great Black/White Father should call off the dogs - or else give back the adoption papers that the Crows gave him.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnMSW View Post

yes, they are an endangered species...but that was not due to

For SURE! The entire country going to hell without a hand basket, and this happens? focus, government, focus!
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #13
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
My sentiments exactly.

Maybe our Great Black/White Father should call off the dogs - or else give back the adoption papers that the Crows gave him.
You know....
Makes me wonder if they gifted him a feather during the ceremony

Now that would be funny cause I could not imagine they would give him papers on the spot to cover the feather

FWS busting in the Whitehouse to bust the Prez
Now that would be funny
Hey it happend To Hillary Clinton when that lady was making dream catchers quite a few years ago actually made one with real feathers and gave it to Hillary Clinton
Funny stuff that is
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
You know....
Makes me wonder if they gifted him a feather during the ceremony

Now that would be funny cause I could not imagine they would give him papers on the spot to cover the feather

FWS busting in the Whitehouse to bust the Prez
Now that would be funny
Hey it happend To Hillary Clinton when that lady was making dream catchers quite a few years ago actually made one with real feathers and gave it to Hillary Clinton
Funny stuff that is
That would be funny!
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
My sentiments exactly.

The fish and wildlife people had been watching those poachers for the last two years, way before Obama became our President. I know one of the guys that was caught and I feel bad for his family because prison life is going to be hard for him/them. One of my friends also was busted years ago for the same thing and he had a really hard time in prison.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
cool...calm...collected

bushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
bushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by X49ER View Post
[SIZE="4"]
We need to have the Million Fan March ON DC!!
let's do it!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
like the director pointed out in the article, it's the actions of a few greedy people that's going to hurt the rest of us...that's how it always begins, with a few then everyone suffers for it...I can see both sides of the issue...the feds' actions are justified because it is a law, you have to uphold the law...I understand that although there are bigger issues to be concerned about, this is something in there area of operations that they have to uphold....for the native side I know how hard it is having to fight for our sovereignty...my dad grew up in a time when NAC meetings were being raided...he snuck around with his grandfather to go to the meetings...but that perservered....it's something we all need to come together and work for the common good, in this case reporting those poachers and those doing it illegally....if you think about it, they're hurting you and me by their actions...I, for one, am not going to let some greedy person take away my right to carry feathers...

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
They did this STING stuff in BC the last couple of years. Buddy's story never changes. He says he is a person who was not raised in our culture and then he wants to get back to his roots and learn about it. He asks to get some feathers and then offers to pay for them and also to be shown how to make bustles. Me I don't even have a problem with people selling or buying them. You could argue that we traded all of the time in the old days. Now people don't have items for trade so they have to use currency. Its like back east the courts determined its okay if ndns sell lobster to make a modest amount of monetary gain. Who determines what is a modest living. Essentially what it is, is another way for the government to further erode our rights. It is a way for whatever treaty rights or protected right through the constitution or charter to be wiped out and it is a completely legal process. Most ndns don't have the money or resources for court struggles.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
Contest Coordinator

Items Devil
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,966.38
This story was in Navajo Times.

The Navajo Times Online - Letters

Scroll down to the second story.

Last edited by ndnsooner; 03-20-2009 at 01:30 PM..
ndnsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
Contest Coordinator

Items Devil
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,966.38
This is from Oregonian News...

Four face charges in sales of feathers - OregonLive.com
ndnsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links