Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Schemitzun '04 Schemitzun '04

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Windjammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Lightbulb Schemitzun '04

Congrats to all the winners at Schemitzun this year, dancing and singing in all that heat and humidity you all deserve it. This was actually my first time going back in quite a while and I must say that I was disappointed with the overall atmosphere and tempo of the pow wow. For one thing, Schemitzun has truly become a "singers" pow wow. Dance categories were cut, prize money dropped, dance specials were cut and there was a big drop between first and second prize money; in most categories, the younger ones didn't stand a chance against the older ones; and it was so dang hot and humid under that tent it was unbearable, top it off they made the Golden Age dance at the height of the afternoon when temps were at their worst, thought that could have been handled differently. Feed/Meal Vouchers were axed out. Dancers/Singers couldn't park close to the arena any more. Judges used to receive a fee, they cut that out too. After they axed most of the drums in the singing contest Saturday, most left back home and you could tell the atmosphere was different on Sunday. And, most of the rooms at the Schemitzun rate were taken by locals looking for a cheap deal, they should ask for Tribal ID#s next time.

Granted the spotlight dance is one of the reasons people go to Schemitzun, but since they only spotlight two dancers, they should tell the others they can get undressed and not look like a bunch of lame ducks when their name isn't called. Also, I heard that they were actually done with the pow wow at 6:00pm on Sunday but their tabulator quit on them and it took them several hours to figure out what she had scored and what categories weren't, which was why it ended close to midnight.

I don't know, its just my opinion, but Schemitzun has changed, I miss the Schemitzun of the 90's, but we can't go back can we. When you start out at the top, downhill's the only way left to go. Just my take on the past weekend, Congrats again to the winners.
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
I've noticed that some years are dancer years and some years are singer years. When we went last year it was a dancer year cuz they had split age categories and paid out pretty good. They didn't have drum contest either, just a few host drums. I imagine that it costs the Pequots a LOT of money to put this event on, but it also seems like they are rich enough to try and balance it out so that the drummers AND more dancers have a chance at some of their $$$, everyone likes the split age categories. Anyway, I'll still go and have fun whenever I can cuz I still like it.

Last edited by Kakeeya; 09-01-2004 at 12:52 PM..
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

IronBuffalo is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Kakeeya]I've noticed that some years are dancer years and some years are singer years. When we went last year it was a dancer year cuz they had split age categories and paid out pretty good. They didn't have drum contest either, just a few host drums. I imagine that it costs the Pequots a LOT of money to put this event on, but it also seems like they are rich enough to try and balance it out so that the drummers AND more dancers have a chance at some of their $$$, everyone likes the split age categories. Anyway, I'll still go and have fun whenever I can cuz I still like it.[I heard, heard that it does not cost anything in that the whole event is a tax write off for the Tribe, has anyone else heard this?]
IronBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
More Cowbell

Mr. T will become famous soon enough
BREAKING NEWS!.......maybe?

I heard from my bro (who will remain nameless, who is well respected on the trail and would not say this unless he knew something.) that they paid the wrong drum for the overall. I know this may sound crazy but I tend to believe it, given the competition. Wild Horse was sounding dope and I don’t mean any disrespect to them but I heard something that I had to share.

And you may ask if I heard it was the wrong drum then I should know who really won. Well, I don’t. So I guess it could be just an ugly rumor. I am pretty sure my bro knows the whole deal but he failed to tell me, perhaps he was afraid that I might go to say, a message board and spill the beans.

But think about it. It could happen especially if say, a tabulator was to quit half way through the pow-wow.

At this point if it were true only a privileged few would know and if it got out then they would have a major problem and would likely lose their place in the pow-wow as a judge, committee member or whatnot for such a tremendous blunder.

I hope I am wrong, but at this point I don’t know.

Last edited by Mr. T; 09-01-2004 at 03:38 PM..
Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
Blah blah blah... Wildhorse won it.. get over it.. all the big name drums can't ALWAYS place LOL.. :D.. so i say...

CONGRATS WILDHORSE.. keep singin and hopefully get to you hear ya soon!!! :man:
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

Lakota_Lady is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 755.51
I was wondering how they won, when they didn't place in either the Northern or Southern singing contest. I just thought they had different judging for the overall contest.

Any way congrats to all the winners in the singing and dancing contests.

Last edited by Lakota_Lady; 09-01-2004 at 04:00 PM..
Lakota_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

Jinglin Chica has a reputation beyond repute
Jinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burberrilish
Blah blah blah... Wildhorse won it.. get over it.. all the big name drums can't ALWAYS place LOL.. :D.. so i say...

CONGRATS WILDHORSE.. keep singin and hopefully get to you hear ya soon!!! :man:
lmao! :D

hellz yeah, go Wild Horse... hope your drum comes down to our pw this w/e!! :Thumbs
Old 09-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota_Lady
I was wondering how they won, when they didn't place in either the Northern or Southern singing contest. I just thought they had different judging for the overall contest.
uggghhh maybe they sang and thats how they placed??????

BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

Jinglin Chica has a reputation beyond repute
Jinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Old 09-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #10
NDNBUNZ

Jibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond reputeJibbyâ„¢ has a reputation beyond repute
The way it worked was all the winners, including consololation, competed for the overall on Sunday. The slate was wiped clean and the drums accumulated NEW points which subsequently determined the winner. It's all about consistency .. WILDHORSE made us proud! Not hatin' on the mainstream drums, but it was nice to see WILDHORSE prevail against the odds.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:26 PM   #11
POW-WOW'R

SANDMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to break up subject

Who's coming up to BLACK RIVER FALLS,WISCONSIN ????? :indian1:

Last edited by SANDMAN; 09-01-2004 at 04:32 PM..
SANDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #12
Mille Lacs Ojibwe

sweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond reputesweetkwe69 has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 51.74
agrees with Jibby. Im going to blackriver falls

oh yeah YOU ALL KNOW WHAT? I HATE PENNSYLVANIA,,, JUST had to let the world know. lol

congrat WILDHORSE!!!!!
sweetkwe69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 06:45 PM   #13
Teen Dancer

Lakota_Lady is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 755.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby™
The way it worked was all the winners, including consololation, competed for the overall on Sunday. The slate was wiped clean and the drums accumulated NEW points which subsequently determined the winner. It's all about consistency .. WILDHORSE made us proud! Not hatin' on the mainstream drums, but it was nice to see WILDHORSE prevail against the odds.
Hey thanks for the info.....

I wasn't trying to be mean or anything by what I wrote before, even though some people may have thought so.
Lakota_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 11:02 PM   #14
Senior Dancer

shorty has a reputation beyond repute
shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Question huh

sooo
was their just one winning place?

orrr
who took the other places?

all in all
:::::cONgrATzz::::2::::WildHorse~!~!~!
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004, 11:17 PM   #15
Junior Dancer

Ojipelodoba is a name known to all
2004 Schemitzun results

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/sho...ght=Schemitzun
Old 09-01-2004, 11:41 PM   #16
Cradleboard Baby

gaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond repute
gaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
Ditto on the blah blah blah...

WILDHORSE rocked and WON!!! Fair and square I'll have you know *adjusts glasses* So, until next year, they're the undisputed world champs *lol*

Love y'all and I'm SO proud!!
Old 09-02-2004, 03:30 AM   #17
Aint Dat Sumptin?

Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow I agree...

Schemitizun aint the Powwow it used to be, why do they insist on callin it "THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF SONG AND DANCE" anyways? There are bunches of PW's with more dough and categories. Schemitizun just gets cheaper and cheaper every year it seems like. It makes me wonder if they think they have the same appeal as denver march? cuz denver doesnt have much of nuffin in winnings, but folks still continue to go. It only costs folks to go. Same with Schemitizun NOW. Some folks used to have hope of makin there money back, that dont seem to be the case now. plus they keep addin MORE and MORE stuff...I know folks are into all that, but I went STRICTLY for the PW. As far as I can see, its usually the same ol people that win anyways just in rotation from year to year. And NO I aint mad cuz I didnt take first...if thats what ur thinkin. I was always one of them that had fun no matter where I went, although I do know a ton of folks that are HARDCORE comp. dancers. I just thought i'd reply since Ive heard a WHOLE LOTTA complaints about this PW, (its rigged, expensive, the people dont treat u rite) so on and so forth. And YES some folks went just for hope of havin that spot lite to themselves....even if its just once in their lives, and now thats just goin downhill...so I dunno. How is it that some of the poorest people in Ndn country can come up with a WAY bigger PW with WAY more of EVERYTHING, and them pequots just keep cuttin things down more and more each year? thats what i'm wonderin...things that make ya go hhhhhmmmm.......

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."
Dat1NdnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #18
Teen Dancer

KeetersCAT has a reputation beyond repute
KeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond reputeKeetersCAT has a reputation beyond repute
We didn't go this year. The Man wasn't feelin' like it. But we listened on AIROS. That was cool. Heard part of the triple Crown Contest. My baby told me a story about him singing with Kenny Sr. We talked about how good hearted his sons are. We heard Wildhorse announced as the Overall Winner. Congrats to you guys! Hope everyone had a good time and safe travels.

KeetersCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 11:09 AM   #19
49in_ndn

Last time I was there was back in 2000.. even then it was going down from the years before. I like how they split old style and contemp. But I really liked it when it was in hartford.. that was more conveinent since we just walked everywhere and caught shuttles and not having to pay that extra money for a rental car. Not to mention the food the dancers and singers got each day.. talk about steak dinners!!! But not anymore..

I had a question... not hatin on anyone or anything but just curious... How many times should a person place before they give it a break or "retire"...lol :worthy: cause I know a few ppl that have placed a good number of time and some ppl say after 4 years to let other ppl have a chance since it's suppose to be world championship of dancing and singing...

:secrets: I heard somethings about the overall drum contest winners.. the rumors but what's done is done... next powwow please!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2004, 11:18 AM   #20
Junior Dancer

mountaindew will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,241.76
First of all, congratulations to all the winners. Now, as for the pow wow, Windjammer, you hit the nail on the head. I've been hearing complaints about this pow wow going downhill for years now. Anyway, the next year's pow wow committee needs to come to their senses and either go back to the old format they started out with, or forget the pow wow altogether. Hopefully, its the former and not the latter. I remember they started out saying they wanted to honor the elders and that's why the Golden Age category $$$ was more, now seems like they're disrespecting them. Glad I didn't go this year from all the talk about it from those that did go this year. Some even said they should have gone elsewhere. And what's with the tabulator quitting? That would only make me suspicious of all the winners.
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links