Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Schemitzun '04 Schemitzun '04

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 02:08 AM   #41
Cradleboard Baby

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
gaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond repute
gaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond reputegaonseh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
Savings: 0.00
It was a lot of fun and despite all the rumors and junk -- I have to stand up for Wildhorse and say they deserved to win. I'm proud of those boys. They pulled together and did what they knew best!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! :)

Anywhosits... it was great to see so many of you people out there. Big shouts out to my girl 'randy, my sis 'chelle belle, my brothers -- GOD KNOWS I MISSED YOU!!, all my friends from NC, Daniel T (my best to you and your family), my boys from WH (God Bless), and THANK YOU THANK YOU MATT!!! My feathers made it home safely ;)

SHY-- DAG GAL!!! You're coming to the next one with me. I brought you a shirt -- where you at???
Old 09-07-2004, 09:40 AM   #42
Tiny Tot Dancer

creendn is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
congrats to Faron Desjarlais from Frog Lake Cree Nation(Alberta) for placing in the Teen Boys Traditional...and we were proud to be Canadian when Wildhorse won the singing contest...
creendn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2004, 02:07 PM   #43
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Is it true only 24 drums showed up out of the 90 plus drums that were invited? (I guess it could be argued that this year was quality over quantity) however there are A Lot of quality drums that chose not to go as well.

Congrats to the winners.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:02 AM   #44
Tiny Tot Dancer

ladybeadworker is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree

I heard it was a good powwow. Most of the people i heard from were sort of surprised about the outcome of the prizes. alot of them thought that the dancers that got 1st were all wrong.
somebody said something about disqualified ladies dancing and people that couldnt dance at all placing.

whatever!!! i didnt go!!!!
but i have gone in years past and i always have a good time there. I will say that some of the people that are judging are not native americans ( most are) and this could have something to do with the fact that the judging was all screwed up this year.

i do love going to this powwow and seeing the display of indigenous people from all over the place. thats all that counts anyway. and the fact that Eastern natives have dance categories cuz thats rare in other states!!! after all this is an eastern powwow!!! and besides if you go to Crow powwows you better be ready to do the Crow style Crow hop!!! somebody else wrote that connecticut doesnt have a large population of natives, that shouldnt be a reason to change the powwow.

Congrats to the dancers!!! and the drummers!!!

Last edited by ladybeadworker; 09-21-2004 at 03:23 AM..
ladybeadworker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #45
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybeadworker
I will say that some of the people that are judging are not native americans
:Thinking
Old 09-21-2004, 10:48 AM   #46
Smell my cookin'

The Rock has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 40.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybeadworker
whatever!!! i didnt go!!!!
but i have gone in years past and i always have a good time there. I will say that some of the people that are judging are not native americans ( most are) and this could have something to do with the fact that the judging was all screwed up this year.

hmmm.....she got me there too kool breeze....

as far as I could tell no non-indians judged....watchin' pretty closely. might've missed something though....

i'm pretty sure it's not their policy to run their contest with non-indian judges though so can you clarify a little on this one?

later,
Rock
The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2004, 07:13 PM   #47
BLAH BLAH BLAH

crazy_n8tve_chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, what happened to singing and dancing for the fun of it?? Now all I seem to hear is " they didnt pay out good or they should pay more" Blah blah blah.......Everything these dayz is about money, hmmm guess people dont care to dance and sing cuz they love it, huh?? Oh well.......
Old 10-04-2004, 01:19 AM   #48
~*Coastal Steps*~

this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_n8tve_chick
Wow, what happened to singing and dancing for the fun of it?? Now all I seem to hear is " they didnt pay out good or they should pay more" Blah blah blah.......Everything these dayz is about money, hmmm guess people dont care to dance and sing cuz they love it, huh?? Oh well.......
i agree with you..how could a pow wow be a pow wow if its a singers pow wow or just a dancers pow wow? Neither can do without one. You cant have just dancers with no singer. vice versa. You kinda need both of em huh? or else there would be just a bunch of singers or a bunch of crazy *** indians dancing to nothing :P if the payouts suck then deal with it..well i guess some do since they go back every year. man just to go to a pow wow thats takes a half hour grand entry now thats amazing.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #49
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Just a point......

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_n8tve_chick
The last time I checked it certainly takes "Money" (well there's that dreadful word) to travel to a powwow, let alone anywhere, that is of course if your living in the present. Now just my point.....People at times take a liberty and say..."why is it all about the dollar" or on and on.....Well times have obviously changed and we need that almighty dollar to live....Real simple....If one appreciates the music in which you share or the way in which you dance, well you should be compensated for your time and talent...yes it does get out of hand from time to time and folks do indeed dive off the proverbial deep end. An important quality to keep in mind is adaptation....Our folks have been doing it for quite sometime....It puzzled me a few years ago when a committee member asked if a singing group would be able to host their Powwow. I asked what the committee could offer and it was not going to cover our basic expense to even get there? So I shared that with the committee member who turned around and threw the grand word "tradition" in my lap....and they thought we were a "traditional group" and on and on.....Well I gave them my take on that and very eloquently told them if they had any appreciation for the word tradition or had any appreciation for the music in which we share then indeed that committee would take care of the needs of that group.....Not even looking at it in the form of money, it's the basic appreciation.....In no way can we measure our ways in terms of money, but this is the way in which we live at the present....There ain't no way in hell i'm gonna get up and down these roads without a vehicle or fuel to run it....So to wrap up my tyrade.....People get a grip....or better yet a new line when it comes to why we powwow...Yes we do it out of the love, but without the green god we certainly couldn't get there......

So don't confuse the two....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Last edited by Coyot_In_The_House; 10-04-2004 at 10:22 AM..
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2004, 07:58 PM   #50
~*Coastal Steps*~

this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
I understand IT DOES TAKE MONEY TO TRAVEL...altough money shouldnt be the reason for going or stopping you from going..its kinda hard with my dilema. thats why i havnt been around the pow wow trail..im only 16 no job and no sister to take care of me anymore. We dont have a pow wow family who travels together.She used to take me all over..we were both young but we still got to go places all we had was ferry or gas money. I dont need to go to a pow wow every weekend im fine with the few i get to go to. But as soon as i have the cash then hopefully ill go to any pw i want. But luckily im patient.

I agree that is a committee asks you to be host drum you should be taken care of. For food and travel possibly even a hotel. Who knows even a lil bit of extra cash ;) ;) just kiddin. But for real its just out of common courtesy to take care of the people who you invite.

Last edited by this1ndnchic; 10-04-2004 at 08:08 PM..
this1ndnchic is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #51
Junior Dancer

Tom Clinton has a brilliant futureTom Clinton has a brilliant futureTom Clinton has a brilliant futureTom Clinton has a brilliant futureTom Clinton has a brilliant futureTom Clinton has a brilliant futureTom Clinton has a brilliant futureTom Clinton has a brilliant futureTom Clinton has a brilliant future
my 4 bits on schemitzun

First off they need to higher real tabulators, aka denver march or that az crew Ryan and company. tabulation errors have been a real drag for us all at that pow wow.

then they need to get a new pow wow committee, because some of the old members ie wayne and albert worked for the concept of world championship of dance. the committee that is in there now are not developing that concept they are destroying it. WHERE ARE THE SPOTLIGHTS FOR THE TOP 10, LIGHTS DON'T COST THAT MUCH (that is what i mean by specialness.)

now it is just another pow wow, granted i keep going but it has lost it's "specialness" . and that is to bad.

denver is a good pow wow not because of the prize money is because of the stiff competition the challenge of get'in in there.
Tom Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links