Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Shinnecock Pow-wow - Labor Day Weekend - Sept 1 -4, 2006 Shinnecock Pow-wow - Labor Day Weekend - Sept 1 -4, 2006

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Arena Director

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Savings: 0.00
Shinnecock Pow-wow - Labor Day Weekend - Sept 1 -4, 2006

Always heard this is a great pow-wow - have never been, but wanted to at least put it in rotation!!!

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
Caroline

NY Queen is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Shinnecock powwow

I did get a chance to go last year and yes, it is an awesome event. I have been to powwows in Queens, they were not as big and eventful as this. A must-see!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
It's the OP Chick

Katethegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to go sooo bad...Always great times***wink-wink**.But I dunno, we shall see. Plane Tickets these days are a bit too much and last min. at that. I would be great to head out there for Schemitzun and kick around for Shinnecock. And have one hell of a time. NOw, you guys got me thinking how I can pull this one off...!!??
Old 08-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
Caroline

Shinnecock powwow info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katethegreat
I want to go sooo bad...Always great times***wink-wink**.But I dunno, we shall see. Plane Tickets these days are a bit too much and last min. at that. I would be great to head out there for Schemitzun and kick around for Shinnecock. And have one hell of a time. NOw, you guys got me thinking how I can pull this one off...!!??

If you go to http://www.shinnecocknation.com/events.asp, you can view the flyer for the powwow. Litefoot will be making a guest appearance. Hope you can make it!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
It's the OP Chick

I wanna go soo bad....But i can't afford to miss any classes. I have fridays off, maybe head out there thursday night and leave Monday. That i think I can pull off....I have credit with southwest and might take this trip up....i might see ya'll in a few weekends...
Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Dancer's momma

Tsia is an unknown quantity at this point
Shinnecock is a great powwow. It is my son's favorite (even over Schemitzun!). We've been camping the last few years and the first year or two we did it was kinda loud, but last year they bumped up security and set some new rules and tenting was fine. No drama!! If you can't afford a hotel or you don't know anyone in the area whose house you could say at, then tenting is the way to go.

I like that they have Litefoot there too. It's nice to have something other than flute or storytelling as entertainment!
Old 09-03-2006, 01:05 AM   #7
It's the OP Chick

herd it was rained out today..other than that...no info..wait to see whats happens the next two days
Old 09-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
Caroline

Thumbs up Shinnecock powwow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katethegreat
herd it was rained out today..other than that...no info..wait to see whats happens the next two days
Went on Sunday, it was great! I don't even want to know how much money I spent :) Got some good pictures, I don't know if I'm allowed to post pictures on this site.
Caroline
Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

Kanku Dai Warrior is a jewel in the rough
Shinnecock

Fri. Grand Entry & Exhibitions went off okay. The powwow committee handled the rain issue very well in that they posponed the powwow on Sat. It rained all day & night. We thought the whole weekend was going to be rained out. Sunday no rain overcast then sun. Powwow was very organized however and the competition was run very smooth & organized, running straight thru rounds of contests for the first session and then again the second session. Here is where the problems started. First of all they closed Grand Entry Saturday then reopened it up on Sunday for dancers to register. This was unfair to the dancers that had been there since Friday. Dancers who heard that it was posponed came up on Sunday registered and some of them placed over dancers that had been there all weekend. Registration should have remained closed! The specials held on Monday were very interesting to say the least. Men's Traditional, Men's Fancy the main specials. On the side they threw a Women's Fancy, Jingle, Women's Smoke, Men's grass and a drum special. Very interesting the placing in these catagories (can't remember them all so will wait until post comes from the tribe). I must say that Rowena you are super woman cuz you change outfits super quick and good fancy too Nice job on winning Fancy, the Jingle special & Jingle contest (Triple crown winner). Good Luck in Cali.

*Andrew "Drew" -Grass dancer should have placed in Men's grass dance category and the specials too but I can not figure out why people do not see he is an outstanding dancer and one of the greatest out there but he gets no respect for what he brings to the arena as a grass dancer and a chicken dancer. If some of you judges would take the time to look at all the dancers maybe you would realize this fact too instead of picking those who you think will be mad at you if you do not pick them. It seemed like some of them just looked at one person the entire time they were dancing. How can you judge a contest if you are only looking at one dancer? It is impossible. Well they missed out because DREW is one of the best out there but it is only a matter of time before everyone knows it!

E.D. should have not been judging Men's grass because of the issues we had with him in England but he judged both Andrew & Delwin Fiddler. This was one of the dancers we had to send home for insubordination and other health related reasons when we NNDT, traveled to England. Delwin, however, declined to judge E.D. in contest which was the honorable thing to do.

Golden Age Eastern Women's Blanket- Congrats
1st Karen Hunter
2nd Pauline Hilton

Will be traveling on tour in Milan, Italy so we will miss this powwow next year.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

apacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

...yeah,I used to go to this powwow,but it seems "something"always manages to go down there,and it usually involves one or more of the locals.Some of the Shinnecock boys tend to be a little "thuggish" in their actions and I just got fed up with it and stopped going.Too bad too,cause I hear it's gotten real nice,but let me ask you,once youv'e eaten something,and it made you sick,would you try it again??Some of the things I've seen occur up there would leave a bitter taste in most people's mouths,and if I wanted to deal with thugs,then I'll just go work at my club....at least I get paid to deal with the a@#$%^es there.I just find someplace else to go on Labor Day....keep smilin'1
apacheheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

eagletail23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 180.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanku Dai Warrior
Fri. Grand Entry & Exhibitions went off okay. The powwow committee handled the rain issue very well in that they posponed the powwow on Sat. It rained all day & night. We thought the whole weekend was going to be rained out. Sunday no rain overcast then sun. Powwow was very organized however and the competition was run very smooth & organized, running straight thru rounds of contests for the first session and then again the second session. Here is where the problems started. First of all they closed Grand Entry Saturday then reopened it up on Sunday for dancers to register. This was unfair to the dancers that had been there since Friday. Dancers who heard that it was posponed came up on Sunday registered and some of them placed over dancers that had been there all weekend. Registration should have remained closed! The specials held on Monday were very interesting to say the least. Men's Traditional, Men's Fancy the main specials. On the side they threw a Women's Fancy, Jingle, Women's Smoke, Men's grass and a drum special. Very interesting the placing in these catagories (can't remember them all so will wait until post comes from the tribe). I must say that Rowena you are super woman cuz you change outfits super quick and good fancy too Nice job on winning Fancy, the Jingle special & Jingle contest (Triple crown winner). Good Luck in Cali.

*Andrew "Drew" -Grass dancer should have placed in Men's grass dance category and the specials too but I can not figure out why people do not see he is an outstanding dancer and one of the greatest out there but he gets no respect for what he brings to the arena as a grass dancer and a chicken dancer. If some of you judges would take the time to look at all the dancers maybe you would realize this fact too instead of picking those who you think will be mad at you if you do not pick them. It seemed like some of them just looked at one person the entire time they were dancing. How can you judge a contest if you are only looking at one dancer? It is impossible. Well they missed out because DREW is one of the best out there but it is only a matter of time before everyone knows it!

E.D. should have not been judging Men's grass because of the issues we had with him in England but he judged both Andrew & Delwin Fiddler. This was one of the dancers we had to send home for insubordination and other health related reasons when we NNDT, traveled to England. Delwin, however, declined to judge E.D. in contest which was the honorable thing to do.

Golden Age Eastern Women's Blanket- Congrats
1st Karen Hunter
2nd Pauline Hilton

Will be traveling on tour in Milan, Italy so we will miss this powwow next year.
you should try to be more humble and stop bragging on your nndn kid.... Also stop airing your dirty laundry. you know you tried to screw some very nice people who went to england
eagletail23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

Braggin' Whatever

Okay Eagle tail who ever you are I am going to assume that you only got one side of the story of what happened in England. If you do not know the whole story then you need not comment on that trust me there was more going on than you know but why air my dirty laundry as you said. Some people we took tried to screw it up for us not the other way around. Nice people yeah okay if you say so.

In regards to braggin' when you have children you will know what it feels like when they work really hard on their craft and they consistantly get the shaft. As far as being humble you do not know me, so try being a little more humble yourself and respectful for that matter.

Blah Blah Blah.....I have also noticed that you have repeatedly replied to my posts in the past in a negative way so I have just written you off as a hater. If you really want to settle what your issue is just talk to me in person if you have the balls or call me my number is online. Why don't you stop hiding behind alias names.

Last edited by Kanku Dai Warrior; 09-05-2006 at 09:24 PM..
Kanku Dai Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, getting hot in here!

I have never been to Shnnecock, friends have, got nuthin but grief cause they are white.

Stopped going to schemitzun also, (looks like MANY have). I went out west this year to Rosebud Fair.

I have seen all your guys dance (NNDT) and they are pretty good, but you should already know that competitions around here are usually swayed toward certain people.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

Thanks for the compliment

Yeah we know that certain powwows over here are geared that way. No matter we will be on tour again next year during this powwow. Thanks again for the compliment, it is nice to know that some people appreciate what we do.

Anyone have all the people who placed yet?

Last edited by Kanku Dai Warrior; 09-05-2006 at 11:30 PM..
Kanku Dai Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #15
It's the OP Chick

So I'm Guessing That No Body Won, Huh?...no Sh*t..
Old 09-06-2006, 04:34 AM   #16
President of TallNDN INC.

tallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond reputetallinjun has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 503.00
Well we see who is shedding a bit of their own story. When someone gets the results of the powwow let us people know. This is the Shinnecock powwow labor day weekend Sept 1-4 , 2006 thread isn't it??? Then let's talk about that. If you got things other than that to say....start a new thread.

Tallinjun
Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #17
Teen Dancer

apacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

...You go Billie Joe.It's true....one of the thingd that turned me off about this powwow was the fact that only certain dancers were looked at to place.Sometimes even having a certainLAST NAME will almost guarantee you a place,if not a win.It gets boring seeing the same people winning all the time.And yes I agree,that Drew guy is a great dancer.Vaugnda Twofeathers and Delwin Fiddler(Go lakota Son!) are two of my faves here in the East...keep up the good work guys...and keep smilin'1
apacheheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #18
Junior Dancer

JingleJammer will become famous soon enough
Credits: 270.21
i'm not too sure about everyone else, but i would like to see who else attended this powwow and who the winners were/are. it has been at least 3 years since i've travled to this powwow and every year i said to my fam, lets go back! but our busy lives always get in the way! :) whenever anyone gets a chance, please inform as to who the winners were/are! THANKS!
JingleJammer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

Shinnecock pictures

There are a lot of pictures in trip report for Shinnecock that Emmy posted. At least you can see who was there.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

dinendn is an unknown quantity at this point
Where are the winners...Now I'm really interested to know who placed!!
dinendn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links