Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Should there be line drawn for dancing in the 3rd Trimester? Should there be line drawn for dancing in the 3rd Trimester?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
heartbeat will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Should there be line drawn for dancing in the 3rd Trimester?

There are somethings that are unmetionables in open discussion however I think that perhaps something needs to be said in regard to where the line should be drawn for dancers to dance in the 3 trimester of pregnancy? I know what my grandmothers and aunties would say on this matter strickly opposing it, especally for jingle dress and fancy dancers.

Just a question that had been bugging me. I would like to hear what everyone else opinion on this would be.
heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

heartbeat will become famous soon enough
on that note; i've noticed over the years that some would contest and place. Is it really worth the money?
heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Junior Dancer

MsLum91 has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 1,109.84
I know some tribes are strictly against dancing during your pregnancy in any stage. I wasn't allowed to dance at all with my first child. I wasn't even really supposed to be on my feet, so dancing was not an option. I was able to dance with my second child (mainly because I was chasing the first one around the arena) and towards the end I made a new outfit and danced at most powwows. I never expect to place, pregnant or not, so when I danced I did so because I felt like that was where I was supposed to be.

For me personally, I would have to say that dancing right up to the end was the best thing I could have done. I had a much smoother delivery and a quicker recovery with the second one, and I really think the dancing and staying more active helped.

just my two cents...

www.myspace/BeckyGoins
MsLum91 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
Also, what style of dance should have something to do with it. I know one of my friends was jingle dancing when she was like 7 or 8 months preg, she could hardly get her belt fastened. Traditional seems okay but jingle and fancy has got to be rough on the baby. Think about it you aren't even supposed to ride the merry-go-round at the theme parks at that point are you?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Smoke Dancer

oneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond reputeoneida_huny has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
I don't think a pregnant woman should be dancing. I juss think of all the stuff you're putting ur baby through. But I know alot of girls who do it. Heck I even seen a pregnant smoke dancer goin to town.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
&a mp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; gt;&a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp; amp;amp; amp;amp; amp;gt;: +:&a m p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;

Mr Oakley has a reputation beyond repute
Mr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 590.00
Savings: 1.00
Ojibwe ways say no dancing AT ALL, if your Ojib, or while your preggo. You hear it all the time at Hinckley powwow.

see my powwow videos here...
www.youtube.com/oaklee84
Mr Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
Savings: 1.00
Personally speaking, I stopped dancing once I found out I was preggars..... *S*. Although the exercise is good, however, all that shakin does put a strain on the baby. I think traditional is okay. I went back into the arena when my lil one was 2 years old, but haven't danced since then. I have dedicated my life and everything to him until he grows up and is able to get dressed, etc on his own. I'll return to the circle again one day, but for now, its about him.

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
EAGLE WOMAN

Hochunk_mama79 is a jewel in the rough
[SIZE=1]Hello all. Well for me I'm well into my 9th month and we just had our homecoming powwow a few weeks back. However me? I didn't dance to much. But I guess it all depends on the person and how well you feel, just as long as your not out there bouncing all over .....traditional would be ok, I think.

I only did cuz my oldest son dance's and I wanted to support him cuz it was HOT and HUMID the whole 4days. And it feels good to be out there. It wasn't like I was out Fancy dancing or anything. Just take it easy! [/SIZE]
Hochunk_mama79 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
-summer_june-*

**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute
**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,015.78
The traditions that I was taught clearly stated that a pregnant woman should never step inside the circle or dance at any stage of their pregnancy. You're just putting your baby throught a lot of things. I know many girls that have been dancing when their pregnant and I've seen so many of them smoke dancing
Old 08-09-2006, 12:36 AM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

roundabout will become famous soon enough
Credits: 3,126.73
dancing while pregnant

To me as an elder, I think this is a no no, I have been told all my life this was not to be done, I started seeing it about 6 years ago, and couldn't believe it. No matter what tribe you are, it does not look good, and not to speak of going against traditional values. If I see a young girl out there dancing, I have to bite my toung to not say anything, it makes me wonder what they are thinking, do they have any traditional values? and do they need the money that bad? I also know that alot of tribes do not carry their child into the arena until the child walks himself into the circle, these ways were taught for a reason, traditions get lost if we dont follow them. If you dont know these ways ask an elder, they will be glad to tell you the storys of out old ones.
roundabout is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

osage49er is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

i danced up until my 5th month but that was because i was still able to fit my belt but after it was getting hard physically on your body, i would have to agree that when ur hitting the start of the last trimester to stop dancing at least jingle and fancy shawl. It sure looks like hell when ur tryna bust a move with a big belly, sorry it just does not look good at all on anyone. so give it up, hell there is lots of time to powwow...HOKAAAAA
osage49er is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

a_buck is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to agree with roundabout's post. I'm far from being an elder but know the words told to me by my elders about carrying a child and dancing in the circle were said for a reason. "When you're carrying a child whether in your arms or in your body, it's an offering to the creator." Same thing with food and drink dancers should not drink inside the dance circle. I'm not sure if this is only Anishnabe belief or true for all nations.

I moved out west and almost everyone dances while prego out here. This summer I wanted to dance so bad (I'm in my last month of pg) but had to keep telling my self I shouldn't, regardless if others do. I was told this tradition for a reason and to deliberately go against would be worse than to do it without having any knowledge about this tradition.

On another note, how long do you think a dancer should wait to get back into dancing? I'm due at the end of August and was thinking of dancing at a pw mid-Sept. Do you think that's too early? Anyone know the best exercise for calf and thigh conditioning? I'm walking on a regular basis but any tips for strengthening those parts of the leg would be great...nothing worse than the wet noodle legs feeling.
a_buck is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links