Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think the purpose of Pow Wow has become? Honesty is appreciated!
It has never changed. It is still all about peoplehood and community 3 9.68%
To meet new friends and catch up with the old ones. 16 51.61%
To meet new friends, catch up with the old ones, talk smack to everyone about everyone,and party later. 6 19.35%
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! What! No money?!? NEXT POW WOW! 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Skin Speculation: A Purely Philosophical Forum Skin Speculation: A Purely Philosophical Forum

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Southern Singer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
slysouthernguy will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Skin Speculation: A Purely Philosophical Forum

Why is it that Indins talk so much smack?

Your thoughts on the issue...

Subquestion: Why does pow wow evoke such hatred from so many people?

Please note that this an open forum with philosophical query in mind. Please do not post on this thread if you are going to use it in order to talk more smack.

Also, please note that I am generalizing a great deal when I typify pow wow as a player haters ball. I above all have seen the greatness in some people come out in the pow wow arena.

What do you have to say?...
slysouthernguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Aint Dat Sumptin?

Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Dat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond reputeDat1NdnGuy has a reputation beyond repute
good question...I wonder...

I know EXACTLY whatchu mean...*Trust me I do*...I don't dance anymore but from what I do remember APPARENTLY I used to "Talk smack about EVERYONE!" %99 of which I never even heard of much less knew. I knew of alotta rumors spread about myself as well...I've seen folks smile and laff and shake hands, carry on and not even TWO seconds they walk away and start in on how annoying and stupid the other person is......I think yeah, money is a MAJOR part of the circut...which is where all the trash talk comes in as well...folks gotta trashtalk others to try and destroy reps so THEN theres less competition.

Owno, I never liked the whole situation. It gets TIRED real quick. Sometimes Ya meet folks and the negativity is palpable...but they shake your hand with a big ol cheezy grin on their faces. I don't know whats the deal with that...The funny thing about it for me is...I got a job in highschool, because I KNEW pw's werent about money...which is ALSO why i'm in college. I have no idea where that idea came from. Sure theres some pretty decent money being offered out there...but its always a gamble.

I think i've been very fortunate to have made some REAL sincere friends out on the circut, but powwows have changed dramatically since I've been out. it's so weird...or maybe it hasnt changed at all...its just I only notice it now because i'm a bystander?...no clue. I just hope things improve somehow.
I always had fun regardless of whether it was a contest powwow or not, I didnt "talk smack" NEARLY as much as folks thought, I did in a playful way to friends...the way friends do......but not about complete strangers...and never behind anyones back...I'm a person who likes to know where I stand with everyone, so I keep things that way as well. If I got a problem with you...YOU'll know it. Theres gotta be some other people like that...some who dance hard wherever they go no matter what...who enjoy themselves whether moneys involved or not, who speaks kindly or not at all? or no?......someone lemme know?

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."

Last edited by Dat1NdnGuy; 05-03-2006 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: I 4get...lol
Dat1NdnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

powwowbum00 is infamous around these parts
Why is it that Indins talk so much smack? Good question.

Why is it that Indins talk so much smack? Thats a good question. I get it all the time because of my ways. I have also been known to "smack" a few people around. But I'm a little different then most. I'll tell it to your face and expect no less in return. More on this later.
powwowbum00 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Southern Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat1NdnGuy
I know EXACTLY whatchu mean...*

Sometimes Ya meet folks and the negativity is palpable...but they shake your hand with a big ol cheezy grin on their faces. I don't know whats the deal with that...The funny thing about it for me is...I got a job in highschool, because I KNEW pw's werent about money...which is ALSO why i'm in college. I have no idea where that idea came from. Sure theres some pretty decent money being offered out there...but its always a gamble.
?
I love to hear well thought out, analytical Indin banter. Let's hear from everyone!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
tiny tot champion

sunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond repute
It's the battle within of the ID's. Freud's SuperEgo's need to feed. Otherwise, why would these boards exsist? Sure, it brings our micro-community all the more closer, but ultimately it's a forum to see and be seen.

Money will always be an issue for some; money and fame for others; just fame for the few. Then there are the die-hards that just dance to dance. They give away more than they are given. Last but not least, the folks that sit there, look on and keep score. It's like any other enculturated activity.

Last edited by sunkato; 05-03-2006 at 12:24 PM..
sunkato is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Southern Singer

Well said, but don't you believe that it goes aganst our collective culture and peoplehood to buy in so easily to a western european mode of thought. You quoted Freud when we shouldn't need to.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

kitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond repute
powwow

powwows were never a part of our culture.
Pan-Indian movement created these dances for people to mingle and make super powwow babies?HAHAHAHA!
It'sall in the competition world of dancing and singing and "smack' is how u take it.It's all right unless you go to the extreme like this one time this woman wnated me to go down to Badlands for a powwow and she used me as her scapegoat
with this champion fancy dancer I didn't even know and we almost had it out in the badlands! See now that is a good song!! "Almost had it out in the badlands!" g'bye.
kitchemanitou is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
tiny tot champion

sunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond reputesunkato has a reputation beyond repute
just from a critical thinking stand point I suppose...

Personally I think Freud is full of hooey. He generalized way too much and could not provide any scientific or tangible proof to his theories. How can thought be analyzed or compartmentalized? You can't cut open the brain to test the thought.

Call gravity what you want, but you'll still fall to the earth at 9.8 meters/second squared. That can be proved. Freud cannot.

Last edited by sunkato; 05-03-2006 at 04:59 PM..
sunkato is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Southern Singer

Sunkato! I am seriously in love with your mind! I can't say that our ancestors would say that everything falls to the ground at the same rate, but I can say that you are fun as all get out to hear from.
Later
Old 05-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysouthernguy
Why is it that Indins talk so much smack?

Your thoughts on the issue...

Subquestion: Why does pow wow evoke such hatred from so many people?

What do you have to say?...
I'd rather focus on the positives of the powwows because there are many more positives than negatives. People will talk smack at any event whether it be ndn or non-ndn. If you want a positive expereince you make it happen, just don't get caught up in all the negativity. People can be so negative and I do here from them alot, but I choose not to let it become my reality. We all have choices so make the right one that best fits you. Life is too short and too precious to have all the haters get between my enjoyment of the powwows! So get out and enjoy the powwows.

And that is my thought on the issue.
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #11
Southern Singer

1BiGApache is an unknown quantity at this point
Hope this chit works!

Why do Indins talk so much smack?? is the question. Probably because crap has been said about someone and some people retaliate by keeping the cycle going. Instead of just letting it roll off their back and keep driving on with a hard on...haha. But see? maybe im wrong. Maybe there is a whole different reason why Indins talk smack. I have only been on the Trail for about a year and i havent seen all that much or been around to know the complete reason why people talk chit er uh smack lol at pow wows...but im starting to see things and recognize. I pow wow cause i love the atmosphere, the comraderie...did i spell that chit right? But the all around feeling of being at a pow wow and singing with your brothers around the drum. Singing just to sing. Or a dancer may say "Just dancing to dance". A person who is tradish may say "Just singing for the ones who cant sing and dancing for the ones who cant dance." And ya sometimes jokin around and talkin a lil bit of smack. But thats all in good humor. Because you may joke around with your friends at a pow wow. Sit at the drum, burp and blow it at the person next to you while your singing....without all that it wouldnt be fun it wouldnt be a pow wow. The kind of smack talking to where you are trying to hurt feelings and be fake is not cool. But hell what i do i kno...im just 1BiGApache...Latez!
1BiGApache is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
I guess your hanging around the wrong people, crowds and/or powwows. I know what your talking about though; I married and moved from these kind of people, and I'm much better for it too.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #13
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty good thread. Dancing for the pure enjoyment. That's something you don't see much anymore. Traditional gatherings maybe, but not so much at competition powwows.
I think the only ones one should see kinda walking around the arena should be womens traditional dancers. All others should be dancing. If your not going to dance, have a break, go sit down cuz you're just in the way. Aye. Go visit on the side where you can focus your attention on the one speaking to you.

Most people who know me, know that when I go out there, I'm there to dance. When I'm done, then I gots all kinds a time to talk smack. Aye.

People with too much time on their hands by sitting all weekend and only getting up to do their contest or getting their number taken at spot checks, are probably the worst smack-talkers of all. Whaddya think?
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
Powwow Dancer

2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute
Skin Speculation

I don't like the contest powwows that much. I go to dance, visit with friends and family. We cut up and carry on all the time but we make a point to not disrespect others. That is the way my elders taught me and the way I teach. When your running smack someone will get their feelings hurt. This coming weekend there is a powwow at Portland Tennessee which is not a contest. I have been going there for a while. We have a lot of fun. No one is attempting to out do any one, just dancing to help mother earth heal and to help our people heal. All the money after expensies goes to the native american education fund I believe. Family,friendship,dance,
food,feeling the spirit of the creater,and fun. Sounds good to me. What do you think?
2 Trails is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links