Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Too many specials??? Too many specials???

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndneyez is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Too many specials???

I've served on my local pow-wow committee for the last 3 years. This will be my last year since we are appointed by our Tribal Council and have a limited number of terms we can serve.
Anyway, the money we make from vendors, registration, etc. is either spent or put back into the "general fund" of the Tribe. In other words, we have to "use it or lose it." The money does not go back into the pow-wow committee budget.
Last year, we decided to take that money and throw in all kinds of specials (at the last minute), in addition to our scheduled specials. This was due to, not knowing how much money we would bring in from registration, vendors, etc.
In all, we hosted the following:

Hand Drum Contest..............$1,500, $1,000, and $500
Iron Woman.........................$1500.00
Men's Fancy Trick Song..........$500.00
Women's Tradish....................$500.00
Men's Tradish........................$500.00
Grass...................................$500.00
Jingle...................................$500.00
Elders 2-Step.........................$1500, $1100, and $1000
Long Hair for the kids...............$50 (boy) $50 (girl)

There was also a Women's Old-Style All-Around sponsored by a local family.

So, this is the dilemma. There are some pow-wow committee member that think there were too many specials. We also heard this from some of the spectators. I, personally, did not hear any complaints from any participants (dancers, singers). I was just wondering if anybody thinks there is a such thing as too many specials?????
Keep in mind, we ALWAYS wrap up by 10:00 p.m. on Friday, 8:00-9:00 on Saturday, and 5:00-6:00 on Sunday. We don't keep anybody there later than 10:00 so time is not really an issue.
Just curious to know what others think............
ndneyez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
only time there can be too many specials is if its 3:00 am and the third speaker is going on yet another half hour "honoring" speech about the special's sponsor(s) ... and they didnt even dance the special yet and you got all the adults and teens to do and four more specials on sunday night ... HAHA

one thing you can do ... might be way out in left field but because you dont know how much "surplus" you are goin to have until sunday is to announce the winners of the actual pow wow payouts (advertised) and THEN do your specials. it kinda gives an out for those who dont wanna stick around for the specials for what ever reason ...

or offer one or two major specials .. pick a catagory or two and announce who they are ... and give a larger payout .. more money goes out and less time is spent inside of doing alot of specials with lower payouts

or get some ppl you trust not to let the cat out of the bag ... and have secret "participation" specials .. dancers that dance all weekend .. all intertribals (even the not so great songs) and dance hard all the time and honor them. have a group of secret "judges" who will watch and pick them for you.

Last edited by chazziff; 12-06-2007 at 02:14 PM..
chazziff is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
That sounds like a nice problem to have Good for you and the committee, for being generous and wrapping things up at a decent hour. The only time I get tired of specials is when a family goes on and on and they take forever with the actual special. But if it's committee sponsored and you are doing things in a timely manner then thats cool. Maybe you can do something for the spectators, so they can have a chance at some $$$ then maybe they won't complain too much. Good Job!
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Junior Dancer

Babe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond reputeBabe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 633.00
I was really impressed with the scheduling at the DNA powwow in Florida a few weekends ago. Contesting for all categories went through till Sat. night, then Sunday was nothing but specials. That was nice!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
ndn

I will let you in on a little secret... *L you probably already know this....

Adding additional dance specials is a drawing card especially if you want to increase your dancer attendance.

A lot of contest dancers - especially the ones constantly on the powwow circuit - opt to go to powwows with extra incentive such as specials.

If and when I serve on another powwow committee, you can bet I am going to promote having extra dance specials!!!

Last edited by WhoMe; 12-06-2007 at 06:05 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

@Fancy_Dancer@ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff View Post
only time there can be too many specials is if its 3:00 am and the third speaker is going on yet another half hour "honoring" speech about the special's sponsor(s) ... and they didnt even dance the special yet and you got all the adults and teens to do and four more specials on sunday night ... HAHA
that sounds like a loon lake powwow or somewhere up that way. we stayed at tha loon lake one this year and it was a long ending, i didnt even know whut tha specials were, all i know is northern cree was still rockin at 3 or 4 in tha mornin.
@Fancy_Dancer@ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

Dakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 280.67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndneyez View Post
I've served on my local pow-wow committee for the last 3 years. This will be my last year since we are appointed by our Tribal Council and have a limited number of terms we can serve.
Anyway, the money we make from vendors, registration, etc. is either spent or put back into the "general fund" of the Tribe. In other words, we have to "use it or lose it." The money does not go back into the pow-wow committee budget.
Last year, we decided to take that money and throw in all kinds of specials (at the last minute), in addition to our scheduled specials. This was due to, not knowing how much money we would bring in from registration, vendors, etc.
In all, we hosted the following:

Hand Drum Contest..............$1,500, $1,000, and $500
Iron Woman.........................$1500.00
Men's Fancy Trick Song..........$500.00
Women's Tradish....................$500.00
Men's Tradish........................$500.00
Grass...................................$500.00
Jingle...................................$500.00
Elders 2-Step.........................$1500, $1100, and $1000
Long Hair for the kids...............$50 (boy) $50 (girl)

There was also a Women's Old-Style All-Around sponsored by a local family.

So, this is the dilemma. There are some pow-wow committee member that think there were too many specials. We also heard this from some of the spectators. I, personally, did not hear any complaints from any participants (dancers, singers). I was just wondering if anybody thinks there is a such thing as too many specials?????
Keep in mind, we ALWAYS wrap up by 10:00 p.m. on Friday, 8:00-9:00 on Saturday, and 5:00-6:00 on Sunday. We don't keep anybody there later than 10:00 so time is not really an issue.
Just curious to know what others think............
nothing wrong with lots of specials, its the give-aways n honoring n stuff that drags the powwows. If the majority of your specials are just committie specials, that should cut out all of the honor songs and give-aways. also, spread them out, dont do em all in one shot on a sunday night, then people tend to get a lil pissed when there still there dancing there regular aldult catagories at 4am.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Lightbulb Just move it along.....

Gotta keep it rolling just like every 1 [email protected] Bearspaw 2004 they had Now dances....They would call a particular category and right there they would have a dance...The winner was selected right there on the spot..(You could probably have a few places?)..Kept things rolling....It was fast and something different...Keeps everyone on their toes....

Another suggestion is have specials before Grand Entry....Maybe 10am....11am or so....Many a Morning we sang at a Flag Raising with a few specials to follow....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Teen Dancer

Thanks everybody!

I agree with the rest of you on this.....if you couldnt tell from my initial post.....lol I pow-wow, I dance, and I know I like the extra incentive of specials. I really didnt see a problem with what we decided to do. And like some of you addressed, they are committee sponsored specials so there aren't any honor songs or giveaways or special speakers.
I also understand the time factor and that's why we keep things rolling and everybody is done by 10:00 p.m. I actually hear great compliments (from dancers and singers) about getting done early.
It's difficult to explain to 1/2 a committee that doesn't travel more than 4 hours to go to a pow-wow. And even more difficult to explain to a Tribal Council that doesn't pow-wow at all.
Thanks for the ideas everybody. I'm going to print this out before our next meeting and share your opinions. I appreciate them all. Hopefully we will continue to have a great turnout and great specials
Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
conquistaDORA!

buckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 440.00
I LOVE SPECIALS!! KEEP EM ROLLIN!!! especially if there's a dance off or it comes down to 3 or 4 dancers, they're exciting to watch....

besides girl you know the first question is always "What specials are they having?" we're all lookin' to make a lil extra cashola & enjoy the competition!!

Keep up the good work :)
Old 12-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
How about honoring your own like they did at Hunting Moon powwow?

That was cool.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Teen Dancer

You'd have to educate me....I didn't go this pow-wow. Not really sure what you're talking about. Please enlighten :0)
Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
I was at your powwow, I try to go every year, and I like all the specials. Since they are committee specials they don't take up alot of time and they are fun to dance in, something a little extra. I've participated in the past in the 2-step specials and the team dance specials the committee has sponsored and it is really nice for dancers to have an extra chance to win some fun money...lol. The committee there has always run a good schedule, time-wise, where we aren't there till all hours of the night. I didn't get to dance this year past the first night, but all the specials were fun to watch.

For people that travel a good distance to a powwow (we traveled over 12 hours to get to your powwow), even though we have all our expenses covered before we leave it's nice to know that we have extra chances to break even or even come out ahead. That gives the vendors a better chance of doing more business also, since the dancers will have money to spend during the powwow. I think everyone benefits, and that's not even including the winners that will leave a bunch of their winnings at the casino...lol. You know how it is, you score a little extra cash so you treat yourself to a buffet, or room service, etc.

I remember when Schemitzun, back in the early days of that powwow, had the first full day of the powwow was all specials with alot of places and really good prize money. I also remember going up there with my traveling crew and taking a chance and not having a whole lot of extra money, then we all placed in different specials the very first day....that was so nice! We were able to spend more money at that powwow on food, vendors, room service, etc., than we would have otherwise.

So economically speaking, specials such as the ones you guys have, benefit everyone: the resort and all the different departments in the casino, local businesses, powwow vendors, etc. And the powwow committee isn't requesting any additional money added to their budget since you are using revenue generated by your event itself, so it's a win-win situation for everyone it seems.

Just my thoughts....keep up the good work!
ndnMSW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #14
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndneyez View Post
You'd have to educate me....I didn't go this pow-wow. Not really sure what you're talking about. Please enlighten :0)
thread -

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/pow...e-hochunk.html

video -

Pow Wow TV
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links