Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Traditional Outfits Traditional Outfits

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Savings: 0.00
Traditional Outfits

Though I've been to many Pow Wows, I wouldn't know what would be traditional outfit for Eastern Band Cherokee. I know about turbins, cloth tops, but what else. Because Cherokees were one of the first moved, were they influenced by others. Was there leather, feathers, give info and advice. Or does it matter what someone really wears.
chickendad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickendad
Though I've been to many Pow Wows, I wouldn't know what would be traditional outfit for Eastern Band Cherokee. I know about turbins, cloth tops, but what else. Because Cherokees were one of the first moved, were they influenced by others. Was there leather, feathers, give info and advice. Or does it matter what someone really wears.

Chicken,

I'm glad you asked this. It is not too often on this website do people ask what their own people wore in relation to modern powwows.

What time period are you wanting? PreEuropean contact traditional?

The style of "traditional" clothing you are referring to is definitely 1800's. In addition to the turbans there was silver broaches, frock coats, leather and later cloth leggins, garters, both top seamed, leather moccasins and manufactured shoes oh, and yes, ostrich feathers!

Last edited by WhoMe; 01-04-2006 at 04:05 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

chickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Where would be a good place to find a picture or someone informed who makes such outfits.
chickendad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
Gimpy Old Dancer

Hazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant future
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 461.90
Tribal dress and powwow regalia are sometimes two entirely different animals. If you just want to dance intertribal songs, then you can wear pretty much anything within reason. But if you plan to compete in a powwow category, traditional tribal style, such as a turban, longcoat and leather breeches might not be appropriate for powwow contest dancing.
That doesn't mean that you can't incorporate tribal identity into your powwow regalia, just that it needs to be done within the framework of the category of dance regalia that you want to participate in.
For example, if you went Northern Traditional, you could bead your moccasins, aprons, side tabs, cuffs, etc. in traditional Tsalagi patterns. You could choose colors that reflect your tribal, clan and family ties, and still stay within the bounds of "proper" Northern Traditional regalia.
Probably the best way to learn is to observe and talk with dancers. Most are willing to answer respectful questions about their regalia and style of dance.
I wish you a rewarding journey.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

unegatowodi has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT
Tribal dress and powwow regalia are sometimes two entirely different animals. If you just want to dance intertribal songs, then you can wear pretty much anything within reason. But if you plan to compete in a powwow category, traditional tribal style, such as a turban, longcoat and leather breeches might not be appropriate for powwow contest dancing.
That doesn't mean that you can't incorporate tribal identity into your powwow regalia, just that it needs to be done within the framework of the category of dance regalia that you want to participate in.
For example, if you went Northern Traditional, you could bead your moccasins, aprons, side tabs, cuffs, etc. in traditional Tsalagi patterns. You could choose colors that reflect your tribal, clan and family ties, and still stay within the bounds of "proper" Northern Traditional regalia.
Probably the best way to learn is to observe and talk with dancers. Most are willing to answer respectful questions about their regalia and style of dance.
I wish you a rewarding journey.
I agree with DavidT on this. It is important to remember most powwow dance styles are now considered to be "pan-Indian", a combination of many styles. Some elements of traditional Cherokee dress are not appropriate except in true traditional dances. Many traditional Cherokee dances are danced in a square, not in a dance circle as at powwow's. For example I try to incorporate Sequoyah's alphabet or some traditional patterns.
unegatowodi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
First off, I have to ask...who in the heck are the AniTsalagi Band of Southern Ohio and the Keating Mountain Cherokee? Come on...

Anyhoo...I'm not a Cherokee, but do live on the reservation here and am quite enscounced in their culture so I'll try to answer your question with reserve...

Most Cherokees who pow wow wear "regular" pow wow outfits and sometimes incorporate Cherokee designs into their beadwork/ribbonwork and othertimes just come up with their own designs. I only know one person...well, one real person who wears what could be considered "traditional" Cherokee dress at pow wows, and he wears a ca. 1830s outfit if I'm not mistaken, and he straight dances in it...very nice stuff and it looks very nice out in the arena.

If you're not an Eastern Band tribal member, I guess I don't see why you'd want to wear an Eastern Band outfit, but who knows anymore???
Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
catfish: food of the gods

StereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 875.03
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
First off, I have to ask...who in the heck are the AniTsalagi Band of Southern Ohio and the Keating Mountain Cherokee? Come on...
Check these guys out!

Southern Cherokee Nation of Kentucky