Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk The ways of the Chicken dancer? The ways of the Chicken dancer?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
killakam81 is infamous around these parts
Credits: 1,216.51
Savings: 0.00
The ways of the Chicken dancer?

Hey y'all. I was wondering a couple things about chicken dancing. First, i was wondering about how i would go about gettin initiated into a society and to start dancing chicken. Anyone got any info on that?
Second- I saw the special at Rocky Boy Powwow this year. The face off. The chicken fighting. If i were to fight, how would i got about that? or if i were challenged to battle, i would i battle back?
Lastly, I was wonderin what things to hold while dancing. I see alot of chicken dancers dancing with Staffs, mirrorboards fox and otter skins, axes and hoops. What is the significance of those items.
Please no criticism as i am only learning and i was told to always ask before going about anything especially a spiritual dance such as the chicken dance.
killakam81 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
mnibojan

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mnibozan is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 131.50
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakam81 View Post
Hey y'all. I was wondering a couple things about chicken dancing. First, i was wondering about how i would go about gettin initiated into a society and to start dancing chicken. Anyone got any info on that?
Second- I saw the special at Rocky Boy Powwow this year. The face off. The chicken fighting. If i were to fight, how would i got about that? or if i were challenged to battle, i would i battle back?
Lastly, I was wonderin what things to hold while dancing. I see alot of chicken dancers dancing with Staffs, mirrorboards fox and otter skins, axes and hoops. What is the significance of those items.
Please no criticism as i am only learning and i was told to always ask before going about anything especially a spiritual dance such as the chicken dance.
Killkam, chicken dancing is a society that u must be adopted into if you want to go about it the properly or maybe ur tribe was adopted into it back in the day. the skin they hold represent what society you belong to among others, it is a blackfoot dance with very particular movements having some meanings and now days depends on which style they call for old or contemperary. this is NOT A GRASS DANCE OR FANCY DANCE that u would see now days. Cree's claim to own this style but i dont think so they are not a plains tribe and were traditionally way up north in the sticks, the only other tribe besides blackfoot I would suggest u should talk to are the crows, they are the only other tribe that i know of who kept this dancing style alive. but now it seems everyone is dancing the praire chicken style, and some of the outfits are flat out goofy, i advise you to learn the proper style of dress and dance as to respect the tribes it comes from, so if you ever travel to the NW you will not catch any hell from the more traditional tribes...
mnibozan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links