Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk what is with navajo's and southern style dancing what is with navajo's and southern style dancing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2005, 04:30 PM   #61
wildbear

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking it all starts at home for me

I Have Too Daughters One Is Seminole From Fla. And The Other Is Shoshoni And I Would Never Dress One In The Others Outfit. Just Because They Need To Know They Both Have Different Heritage So My Oldest Wears A Seminole Patchwork And My Youngs Wheres A Cloth Dress And Beadwork They Represent And They Are Only 6 And 3. I Make Sure They Don't Get It Twisted And They Stay On The Right Road.
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #62
Tiny Tot Dancer

Heinz 57 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 655.41
Amen!

:))

Last edited by Heinz 57; 08-30-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Heinz 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2005, 09:54 AM   #63
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz 57
You are so right wildbear.. you are raising your daughters with traditional values. Our babies get baby mocassins with our tribal designs. Threre is a difference between boy's and girl's designs.
To everyone else:
There is so much more to just dressing up and getting out there in the arena to dance or contest. But if you werent brought up or taught the proper way, AND are not from a southern tribe like Kiowa, Otoe, PAwnee, Osage,Ponca,Comanche, Cheyenne, etc..then stay away from OUR southern style dancing!

And to powwow ma, its not about getting beat by a navajo or whatever tribe, it's about identity.......our designs, our traditions, our culture,
To some of us southern plains indians thats all we have left..our language is in a crisis situation, very few fluent speakers.
So please if you are not from the southern plains tribes, don't copy our dance, designs, clothes, we would appreciate it..
This is all Im going to say on this subject.

**Thank God I'm Indian**
ok, just my two cents....I don't dance but I have many friends out there who do......and they are of all different tribes................just a thought, if it is so few on people who know their culture (language etc..) then shouldn't you be glad that others would be so willing to learn it then people from your tribe? At least some where down the line you can tell the next generation that this is your tribal dress.....since it's becoming so few.....and isn't powwow a public event? If things were more inclined to the traditional values, ie: sticking to private ceremonies or whatever, then yes it would be a big deal....but if you're going to wear your personal designs that were handed down to you thru the generations in a powwow then you should also realize that someone out there is going to use those, not knowing what they are.....so wouldn't you be setting yourself up for that? You would have no one to fault then yourself.......and isn't being "INDIAN" about sharing, passing along traditions??.........again, I don't dance....... just my two cents

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2005, 06:39 PM   #64
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50cal
....I don't dance but I have many .......and isn't being "INDIAN" about sharing, passing along traditions??.........again, I don't dance....... just my two cents
sorry bro! but being "INDIAN" is about wishing for (one of these days LMAO) and for those of yous that do get it...but being INDIAN IS ALL ABOUT PERCAP!!!... LMFAO!
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2005, 09:31 PM   #65
Junior Dancer

ma-heench is just really nice
I have to add to this. What is southern style? (That's a rhetorical question) The tribes in Oklahoma that are considered Southern are in Oklahoma because the Army forced them to live there. At one time the Poncas, Otoes, Kiowas, Comanches etc roamed all over the Northern Plains too. Their style of dance evolved from their exposure to one another in Oklahoma and SHARING in INTERTRIBAL dances. Borders and Boundaries are the white man's thing. Let's not make it ours. Help one another to give the proper respect to traditional regalia by teaching not b-tching. I would hate to see the Navajos or any other tribe lose their unique traditional style of dance and regalia, but intertribal dancing is not going to make that happen.
ma-heench is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2005, 11:01 AM   #66
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
hey percap is great aint it?

and navajo chicks are not gonna give up.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #67
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Smile

LOL, that was funny ^^^^^^^^^^!
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #68
wildbear

wildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond reputewildbear has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb humm.....

isn't TAKING and SHARING two different things or did we just share all our land with the white people. Is this the justification of stealing and posing. NOW NOW don't get stank its just a idea I don't mean to step on toes or ruffle feathers its just what it sounds like TO ME ...
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #69
Pow Wow Visitor

powwow ma is infamous around these parts
Sorry Heinz 57, didn't mean to offend anyone by saying someone must've gotten beaten in a contest by a navajo, my attempt at humor. I do find it funny that many who pass these judgements are more than happy to take navajo or "desert" people prize money at competition powwows.

So my question is if ONLY Kiowa, Otoe, Pawnee, Osage, Ponca, Comanche, Cheyenne and Etc. should dance southern style, then you can't have it both ways. So consequently Kiowas, Otoes, Pawnees, Osage, Poncas, Comanches, Cheyennes, and etc. should NOT ever dance jingle since they aren't Ojibwe.

Like I said, get to know someones story before you judge.
Also, I heard a story yesterday at a "desert" people powwow. A navajo I know had family that attended OU. They went to Oklahoma and took traditional clothes for the graduation. A few days later they attended a powwow there. Their daughter wore traditional navajo clothes and joined the cloth contest. Someone running the powwow approached her and said she could dance in Grand Entry but not the contest because she wasn't dressed appropriately.
They were very insulted.
Where do we go from here? I say let us not judge, let us not point fingers (or lips). Change is inevitable since we all can mix now. Let us embrace each other, these kinds of judgements are exactly what white people do to us.

P.S. Hey Burbz, you are too funny! perCap!
powwow ma is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2005, 08:24 PM   #70
Pow Wow Visitor

coupcounter49 will become famous soon enough
Wink

[QUOTE=RedGrassdancer]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz 57
i agree ccreek, How can one person or family give another person from a totally different tribe the right to dress in their tribal regalia? Im sure the "whole tribe" didn't come together and vote on it and say this is alright for this person from another tribe to dance in our regalia. ALso, if your 1/2, 1/4, 1/3 or whatever I think its okay for you to dress in your tribal regalia no matter how much quantum BUT as long as you have that tribe in your bloodine.

Example:
Tawny Hale is half Lakota and half Navajo. Dances Fancy shawl
Candace M. is half Navajo and half Cree. Dances Jingle
(Whoo, those are some good dancers, too!)[/
QUOTE]

well, there you go, it's like your name "heinz57", it's the mix blood that make them good, only the best of the best if bred out in them.

ccreek: does that really happen? someone dresses out in other regalia and look for families to adopt them? sheeez, that is way too weird for me!

Wocus Woman:
yeah, navajo's are in the south from where your at, but remember what punkrock said "DESERT INDIANS".

AHO!!
Tawny Hale is Dakota/Navajo. Big difference between Dakota and Lakote
coupcounter49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2005, 01:30 AM   #71
Southern Cheyennes of O.K

SaltRiver Cheyennes is on a distinguished road
Credits: 230.00
eeeeyahhh

Man this thread packs the heat on the desert ndnz.Yeah come on navajo's get with the program your not suppose to southern style unless your southern remember? Regardless of your opinion . Hardee har har!Only the rest of the desert ndns
can dance southern style (and sing too) .Please send a representative to each southern plains tribe and get it right.
Please get in contact with the Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho tribe of Oklahoma .Next the Kiowas,then the Ponca's
then the Lords of the plains. You ain't southern enuff if ya don't know any of deez....Boy I tell ya what though ,don't go riding into town on your high horse thinking someone ain't gonna set you straight about your wayz .Not to sound rude out there but "for realz though ".....you will get an ear full!Once you get past the tribal elders and societies it should be all good after that .Then you will be official southern style .Thats what we all learn out this way- peace out
SaltRiver Cheyennes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2005, 03:03 AM   #72
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbear
isn't TAKING and SHARING two different things or did we just share all our land with the white people. Is this the justification of stealing and posing. NOW NOW don't get stank its just a idea I don't mean to step on toes or ruffle feathers its just what it sounds like TO ME ...
Since when did this have to do with white people???

BUrbz- Percap, LOL!!!!

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #73
is a talking Magpie

wannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond repute
can't we all jus get along??....

check out - http://www.iGive.com/porcupineclinic
wannabeUrNo1Snag is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #74
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
haha, since this is aimed at navajo chicks... what would happen if we took navajo chicks, their kids, and their men and all the things they contributed... out of powwow...???

answer that,

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #75
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by injunboy
haha, since this is aimed at navajo chicks... what would happen if we took navajo chicks, their kids, and their men and all the things they contributed... out of powwow...???

answer that,
There would be no more Neon Colors! LOL
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #76
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom
There would be no more Neon Colors! LOL

LMAO - that was a good one!
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #77
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltRiver Cheyennes
Man this thread packs the heat on the desert ndnz.Yeah come on navajo's get with the program your not suppose to southern style unless your southern remember? Regardless of your opinion . Hardee har har!Only the rest of the desert ndns
can dance southern style (and sing too) .Please send a representative to each southern plains tribe and get it right.
Please get in contact with the Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho tribe of Oklahoma .Next the Kiowas,then the Ponca's
then the Lords of the plains. You ain't southern enuff if ya don't know any of deez....Boy I tell ya what though ,don't go riding into town on your high horse thinking someone ain't gonna set you straight about your wayz .Not to sound rude out there but "for realz though ".....you will get an ear full!Once you get past the tribal elders and societies it should be all good after that .Then you will be official southern style .Thats what we all learn out this way- peace out
Old 09-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #78
We'll See....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltRiver Cheyennes
can dance southern style (and sing too) .
Excuse me, but isn't the Navajo Nation in the south. The issue isn't that we can't dance in southern dance contest, its that some tribes (mainly Oklahoma tribes) don't want Navajos wearing their "traditional clothes" unless they have the right given to them.

And Burbs wants Per Cap!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #79
PowWows.com Addicts

jones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 52.32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50cal
ok, just my two cents....I don't dance but I have many friends out there who do......and they are of all different tribes................just a thought, if it is so few on people who know their culture (language etc..) then shouldn't you be glad that others would be so willing to learn it then people from your tribe? At least some where down the line you can tell the next generation that this is your tribal dress.....since it's becoming so few.....and isn't powwow a public event? If things were more inclined to the traditional values, ie: sticking to private ceremonies or whatever, then yes it would be a big deal....but if you're going to wear your personal designs that were handed down to you thru the generations in a powwow then you should also realize that someone out there is going to use those, not knowing what they are.....so wouldn't you be setting yourself up for that? You would have no one to fault then yourself.......and isn't being "INDIAN" about sharing, passing along traditions??.........again, I don't dance....... just my two cents
I heard someone say this about boyscouts too...
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #80
wildbear

YEAH THATS TRUE LOL (NEON COLORS)

HAVE A GOOD DAY ALL NATIONS NORTH SOUTH AND EAST AND WEST..