Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree30Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk What's one thing that gets on your nerves when you're at a powwow? What's one thing that gets on your nerves when you're at a powwow?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #261
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 95,125.86
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions View Post
So very true Zeke!

I went to a powwow in Pennsylvainia this weekend. A day trip for me and my daughter who dances fancy shawl. Just a little father / daughter time. No mom spoiling the fun. You know how mom's are.......
Till I read the rest of your post I thought you were referring to the Powwow that I was teching sound for. If the Powwow I was at was anything like that I would have probably have walked away. Where was the one you were at?

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #262
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
lbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,007.25
Talking

Last edited by lbgood; 07-30-2009 at 04:23 AM..
lbgood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #263
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
My dislike is when MC calls a intertribal the fancy dancers they can run the whole dance area like come whipping around the corner cutting off a couple northern dancers and cause a accident out there.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #264
Pow Wow Visitor

gurskea is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
1. people that dont respect the elders at a powwow.
2. Little kids running around knocking over things are when you are dancing and almost trip over them. kids that aren't supervised and they are let ran ragged.
3. people that show up to a tradish powwow right before payouts to get their dancing money for a whole wopping one song. that's crap.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #265
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Till I read the rest of your post I thought you were referring to the Powwow that I was teching sound for. If the Powwow I was at was anything like that I would have probably have walked away. Where was the one you were at?
It was in western PA. Don't worry, it was not yours.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #266
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgood View Post
ROFLMFAO @ wanabi powwow with all the fixins! You should have told them that it is tradition to walk through the ring of fire! J/K LMAO!
Naw!~ I didn't want to burst their bubble too much. I wasn't even going to go until I got a call at 8AM on Saturday morning from a friend who was there for the weekend. He told me that I had to come to get a good laugh. I thought he was joking. He wasn't! It was that bad. Funny as all get out! It was the first powwow I have ever been to where not one person had an eagle feather. Maybe that was a good thing!

Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #267
Fan Maker

MNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond repute
I have one feather that I wear wether I'm danceing or not... I can't stand it when little kids grab it from behind when I sitting and pull on it. It has almost fell to the floor several times because of this. Last time I tweeked my back in order to get turned around as a hand full of feather and hair was grabed my a one year old who was being held up by it's (not being mean there child was wearing neutral colors) mother to see the purdy feather. The mother thought it was cute that her little angel was so interested in my toy!... IT IS NOT A CHILD'S TOY DON'T LET YOUR KIDS TOUCH IT LET ALONE GRAB IT! The feather I have has been passed down threw many people and I know I won't be the last to have it. I want it to survive to the day that I find someone to pass it on to.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #268
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsitting View Post
I have one feather that I wear wether I'm danceing or not... I can't stand it when little kids grab it from behind when I sitting and pull on it. It has almost fell to the floor several times because of this. Last time I tweeked my back in order to get turned around as a hand full of feather and hair was grabed my a one year old who was being held up by it's (not being mean there child was wearing neutral colors) mother to see the purdy feather. The mother thought it was cute that her little angel was so interested in my toy!... IT IS NOT A CHILD'S TOY DON'T LET YOUR KIDS TOUCH IT LET ALONE GRAB IT! The feather I have has been passed down threw many people and I know I won't be the last to have it. I want it to survive to the day that I find someone to pass it on to.
I don't know about your teachings but mine taught me that if I was gifted the responsibility of a feather, I was to care for and protect that feather at all costs. That means knowing my surroundings and situation at all times when wearing that feather. According to my teachings, if some child were to grab the feather, it would be my fault for allowing myself to be that close to the child. It doesn't matter if the mother and child were just passing by and you were engaged in doing something. By allowing it to even happen, you were not paying attention to your surroundings according to my teachings. Young children are naturally curious and are attracted to things they are curious about. They do not know right from wrong. It doesn't matter what colors the child or mother was waring. You should have known they were there and what could happen if the child got too close. Even if just passing by. It is still the responsibility of the person waring the feather not to allow himself/herself to be caught in such a situation where the feather could be lost or damaged in any way.

It is said that a mother grows eyes in the back of her head to watch her child. The same should become true when caring for the feather.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #269
Head Singing Judge

Kiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 390.00
The one thing that really gets on my nerves is during a dance contest or a tiebreaker, somebody comes out and starts putting money down on the ground beside where the dancer is dancing. Something about this gets to me. I know its a show of support and honour for the dancer and all....but still, its like trying to win over the judges just by showing how much friends and supporters this dancer has. Its like saying to the judges pick this dancer. It's even more annoying when a blanket is laid out by the dancer. LOL.
All I'm saying is let the dancers do their thing and let them decide who the best dancer is. There is no need for friends and supporters to come in and try and influence a judges decision.
im bitter today..lol..jk
Kiiwedinong is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #270
Pow Wow Visitor

rdd3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I really hate when women traditional stop during grand entry. I am a N. traditional dancer and my dad always said you're not supposed to break the circle, you are supposed to keep it moving.
rdd3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #271
~lethargic state of mind~

Items Elephant
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Location: in the lil box beating the crap out of the other stick figure
Credits: 3,447.42
Savings: 1.00
i usual sit by my fav. drum group, and when they sing, ppl have jabbed me in the head or told me to get out of the way when they record them singing . . . gah-lee, they could at lease ask me nicely

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...
Mud_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #272
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 141,715.82
What gets on my nerves is when I'm recording someone like MNX and there's no one else around! How am I sposed to fight for position if there's nobody in my way!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #273
I.T.I.

Items Present
7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute
7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute7pointbull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,376.54
Blonde haired, blue eyed jingle dress dancers fighting over me. That's just disrespectful. Can't we all just share and get along???
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #274
Pow Wow Visitor

Uconn Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 470.00
Red face One thought from a singer.

Get very butterflies b4 singing. Whoa!!!!

Last edited by Uconn Man; 05-06-2009 at 04:41 AM..
Uconn Man is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #275
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7pointbull View Post
Blonde haired, blue eyed jingle dress dancers fighting over me. That's just disrespectful. Can't we all just share and get along???
Awesome.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #276
~lethargic state of mind~

Items Elephant
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Location: in the lil box beating the crap out of the other stick figure
Credits: 3,447.42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
What gets on my nerves is when I'm recording someone like MNX and there's no one else around! How am I sposed to fight for position if there's nobody in my way!!!
well, after you jabbed me in the head and said 'move' . . . you know, everytime i see ya running, i get the h--l out of the way. LoL!!

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...
Mud_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #277
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7pointbull View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Awesome.
What ever happened to using a sign up sheet???

Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #278
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 95,125.86
I remember this one time a few years ago we were shooting some footage for a Powwow and I had my camera and equipment set up in one area and I left to grab more tapes from where we kept the equipment cases, anyways, I come back a minute later and start filming again and someone who had set-up behind my equipment while I was away got mad that I was there and blocking their view. Um if you see that there is something there and you sit behind it what gives you the right to complain. I could see if she had been there first but she wasn't.

As for the person above who was asked to move so someone could record, unless that person is doing an official recording for the drum I would have told them "first come first serve".

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #279
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
I remember this one time a few years ago we were shooting some footage for a Powwow and I had my camera and equipment set up in one area and I left to grab more tapes from where we kept the equipment cases, anyways, I come back a minute later and start filming again and someone who had set-up behind my equipment while I was away got mad that I was there and blocking their view. Um if you see that there is something there and you sit behind it what gives you the right to complain. I could see if she had been there first but she wasn't.

As for the person above who was asked to move so someone could record, unless that person is doing an official recording for the drum I would have told them "first come first serve".
This is why I like the sound guys that have inline recorders- it stops a lot of that when the drum can say the first time around "hey call monday and I will get you a good tape"

As an aside on sound system issues- how do you keep the mics from 'cutting out' on honor beats and so forth- I have been around and seen some sound systems that always seem to start cutting in and out when the drums get really rockin, which I have to believe is somehow related to an overdrive or circuitry in the mic.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #280
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalstraight View Post
This is why I like the sound guys that have inline recorders-
What's an inline recorder? Never heard of one. We have analog tape, digital tape, digital analog tape, 4 track, 8 track, 16 track, 24 track, overdub, multi-track, SSD, and even a wax cutting machine.

What's an inline recorder? Is it new?

Got an SSL in my picture!

Just funnin!
I know what you mean!

Sponsored Links