Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree30Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk What's one thing that gets on your nerves when you're at a powwow? What's one thing that gets on your nerves when you're at a powwow?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #41
pow wow mom

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
shadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 738.95
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
Instant NDN's...and I'm not just talking wannabe's, a lot of our own do this.
step one: show up at a powwow
step two: attend a circle or ceremony at the powwow
step three: buy a cheap dress (you know the ones some vendors make in an hour) and a sarong (as a shawl)
step four: run up to the elder you saw runnin the circle or ceremony, show them your instant "regalia" and ask for your NDN name.

There are of course non-powwow variations. I see the tail end of this a lot when helping my mom in law. She nicely tells them they need to talk to some dancers about dancing and that she is unable to name them cause she doesn't know them and to go talk to their family.

Which leads me to a few more things. The NDN's handing out names to strangers at pseudo-naming ceremonies at powwows. Cause they are the ones responsible for slowing down the instant NDN who came to them, and ultimatly the ones to blame for this, NOT the poor impatient NDN who wasn't told better when they gave the chance. Of course they are to blame if they were told and then ignored the advice.

And the next thing, this is the kind where it's annoying but you walk away laughing. Is the people who inquire about your NDN name and then act all patronizing cause ya don't have one. In our family we got our name as a child and then some got adult names...(from family)...I don't, mainly cause they'd probably call me "Woman who sticks her feet in her mouth"
I think I would be :" grandma who swats bad butts " [who me i would never spank]
shadowoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #42
pow wow mom

shadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond repute
ON SECOND THOUGHT MY YOUNGEST SAYS NO YOU JUST GIVE them[ "THE DON'T MESS WITH GRANDMA LOOK]
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #43
Pow Wow Visitor

SpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupde View Post
I dislike that things are not explained to the general public as to customs, do's and do not's of what is allowed in the arena area.
Wow, I guess we've been lucky -- I'm a white lady, my GF is Cherokee and exploring going to powwows. We've been to four (all big California ones) so far. We received a beautiful high-quality, full-color program book at San Manuel that explained EVERYTHING, including each dance, etiquette, Grand Entry, Drums, Bird Singing, Gourd singing, Honor songs, etc., with a glossary, etc. It was a huge help.

But then we also prepared ourselves by reading Etiquette sites and PW.com etc., so wouldn't DREAM of touching anyone's regalia, nor photographing without permission. I'm very sorry that more white people don't know how to educate themselves FIRST, or even just act grown-up and not touch things without permission.

At Spotlight 29 last December the announcer was amazingly helpful, explaining everything we were about to see, what was going on, and inviting anyone who wished to to dance in Intertribal.

Oh yeah, and we do wear paisley Pashmina shawls into Intertribal- we haven't made proper shawls yet, but we were told (we did ask!) that it was more respectful for a woman to wear a shawl into the arbor, so we do it for that reason. We're trying to do it right!

Last edited by SpanishSteel; 02-17-2009 at 07:00 PM..
SpanishSteel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #44
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot....what about all the ones who come up and ask, "Are there any real indians here?"
I love that question. We both got that one so many times at that one powwow in southern Ohio last year. The one where I made you the CD from. Even the guy at the hotel asked me if I was a real NDN. I ususlly tell them, "No! I'm a member of an aboriginal family of North America". It screws em up for a few seconds.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #45
Pow Wow Visitor

GreatLakesIndian is an unknown quantity at this point
Our Own Hypocrisy

These are all great and make very simple common sense yet you keep seeing the same stupidity at our powwows! Why? Well the biggest is because our own people are the cause of many and they want fix them.

This may offend some but the things that really get on my nerves are as follows:

I can take the fact that some white people are ignorant of the powwow and all that is going on and I try to remember that and see that the powwow is a perfect chance to educate them, BUT it is our own people that are passed ignorant and just plain stupid about our own culture that really makes me upset at powwows. No I am not talking about our people that never learned and are trying to learn, I am talking about our people that think they know it all and don't know crap, don't want to learn and are just plain stupid. They are the ones that keep the stereotypes about us going and going.

So many of our people talk about doing stuff for our culture and to educate but all they want is money every time they “pick up a drum stick or put on a moccasin” as already stated. So many of our people talk about protecting Mother Earth but leave the powwow grounds a mess and don’t pick up after themselves etc. I have seen so many Drums that leave their area full of cups, cans, plates, and tons of cigarette butts but talk about the respect for Mother Earth. WTF? Another is the “Princess” stuff. We all get mad that somebody says their Great this or Great that was a so called this or that Princess. We tell them there was no such thing and then turn right around and introduce freaking royalty and princess in the circle and put them on a pedestal and make a big freaking deal of it. WTF? What do you expect the white people to think when we tell them one thing and then turn around and do the total opposite?

Just a few of my thoughts.
GreatLakesIndian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #46
Jingling mommy....

cherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 451.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions View Post
I love that question. We both got that one so many times at that one powwow in southern Ohio last year. The one where I made you the CD from. Even the guy at the hotel asked me if I was a real NDN. I ususlly tell them, "No! I'm a member of an aboriginal family of North America". It screws em up for a few seconds.
Oh gosh, I know. That one was HORRIBLE for hearing that at. I had a lady walk up to me and friggin ask me if I knew what electricity was and if I lived in a tipi...come on people! I like your comeback though...
cherokeemom06 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #47
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Oh gosh, I know. That one was HORRIBLE for hearing that at. I had a lady walk up to me and friggin ask me if I knew what electricity was and if I lived in a tipi...come on people! I like your comeback though...
You should have been honest with her. You should have told her how much you spent to redo the kitchen and have central air installed in that tipi.

I was going to add a music studio to my long house but the neighbors fence got in the way. He said something about owning the land and telling me that my long house was too long. Where do these people get these ideas?

How's that new set of Maytag washing rocks you got? My wife was thinking of getting a set. Do they really save as much electricity as on the energy tag?

Well, I gotta go feed my horses. How in the heck does Dodge fit so many horses under the hood of my pickup? I shouldn't be long. The Speedway feed store is just up at the corner. Gonna get me a cappachino while I'm there.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #48
Pow Wow Visitor

SpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond reputeSpanishSteel has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

me = white person, smacking forehead. I cannot believe this. I apologize for the stupidity of other white people who are making all us sycamores look bad. I wish I'd been there to say something rude to her. Some of us REALLY ARE TRYING...and actually have both brains and manners... I'm really stunned by this, it's just making it harder for those of us who *aren't* claiming to be tribal related, *aren't* claiming to have an Indian name and *are* wanting to participate respectfully. Sigh.
SpanishSteel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #49
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishSteel View Post
me = white person, smacking forehead. I cannot believe this. I apologize for the stupidity of other white people who are making all us sycamores look bad. I wish I'd been there to say something rude to her. Some of us REALLY ARE TRYING...and actually have both brains and manners... I'm really stunned by this, it's just making it harder for those of us who *aren't* claiming to be tribal related, *aren't* claiming to have an Indian name and *are* wanting to participate respectfully. Sigh.
don't worry we notice! Relax and join us in a laugh or two about the bozos we are talking about...bet you have noticed things we haven't...being on the inside and all
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #50
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
don't worry we notice! Relax and join us in a laugh or two about the bozos we are talking about...bet you have noticed things we haven't...being on the inside and all
Speaking of bozos, A few years ago I was in regulia at a powwow dancing in the circle. Just after I left the circle a little girl came up to me and asked if I knew Pochantas. When I told her yes, her father told me I was a lying fool. All I could do was laugh. A bit later, I hunted down the little girl and gave her an Irene Bedard DVD. It was signed by Irene along with a poster that was signed. The DVD was Disney's Pochantas. A bit later that day, Irene and her husband Deni performed in the circle during a break. The little girl sat next to me at the sound board while I mixed the show. The rest of the day the little girl hung around Irene's stand with Irene's little boy.

The girl's dad was a real bozo but her mom was cool about it.

Last edited by TKMJ Productions; 02-19-2009 at 10:43 PM..
Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #51
pow wow mom

tk you are cool to kids warms my heart wopila tanka shadow
Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #52
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowoman View Post
tk you are cool to kids warms my heart wopila tanka shadow
Kids are cool but they grow up to be white people. Gotta do what you can to fix that problem. Hopefully it works to make everyone better.

Love the kids. Even the brats. Sometimes you can fix the brats before they get poisoned.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #53
Tsalagi Agaliha

Agaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,212.38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupde View Post
I dislike that things are not explained to the general public as to customs, do's and do not's of what is allowed in the arena area.

It would be a lot of trouble, but maybe there should be like a sort of pamphlet or something handed out at a powwow entrance, telling powwow etiquitte... idk tho, may not work or I'm sure there's ways it would be a bad idea. I mean I know it's up to the people, they know it's a different culture so the absoloute least they could do is stop an ndn or powwow "staff" or something and ask what some common courtesies are.
Agaliha Tsiwodi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #54
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaliha Tsiwodi View Post
It would be a lot of trouble, but maybe there should be like a sort of pamphlet or something handed out at a powwow entrance, telling powwow etiquitte... idk tho, may not work or I'm sure there's ways it would be a bad idea. I mean I know it's up to the people, they know it's a different culture so the absoloute least they could do is stop an ndn or powwow "staff" or something and ask what some common courtesies are.
Some powwow's they sell programs.
Buy one.........it helps support the pow wow committee and the pow wow. It has the information your wanting.
Plus, MC's usually explain whats going on so that visitors will know whats going on.
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #55
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJo View Post
Some powwow's they sell programs.
Buy one.........it helps support the pow wow committee and the pow wow. It has the information your wanting.
Plus, MC's usually explain whats going on so that visitors will know whats going on.
Plus ettiquette all over the internet, on powwow guides and calenders. Between common courtesy and listening to the MC (which would be common courtesy) I don't see a good excuse for not knowwing how to behave nicely...so thats one of my pet peeves...not giving a damn about paying attention and then complaining about what went unknown...cause of not paying attention. Common courtesy...think it's taught world wide...or at least it used to be...
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #56
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Plus ettiquette all over the internet, on powwow guides and calenders. Between common courtesy and listening to the MC (which would be common courtesy) I don't see a good excuse for not knowwing how to behave nicely...so thats one of my pet peeves...not giving a damn about paying attention and then complaining about what went unknown...cause of not paying attention. Common courtesy...think it's taught world wide...or at least it used to be...
People don't do that kind of research even though the information may be on the same page just below the flyer on the internet. It may be looking them right in the face.

I love when people get all excited about going to their first powwow. They "dude up" with cowboy boots, fancy shirts, hats, belt buckles and that sort of thing. What the heck are they thinking? Cowboys vs Indians? Do they expect to walk the grounds trying to look cool? A fashion statement? It gets really funny around here. I hear about tired feet, no place to sit, uneven ground, and a host of other complaints. Then they show up for the second powwow dressed the same way but this time they also are equipped with a canopy and lawn chairs usually late. Then they can't understand why they can not find room to set up the canopy.

It gets really funny!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #57
pow wow mom

people just barging in to a dancer's canapy and trying to set up their stuff and getting mad when told to move it HAPPENED last year Pow Wow police had to take care of it it got bad "WE'LL NEVER COME BACK" They yelled ----good was all we said!!!!!!!!!! shadow wopila tanka
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #58
Junior Dancer

Jametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond reputeJametx has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,685.18
I hate it when men refuse to take off their hats or caps during the Flag Song or for the flag period! And this is even with the MC explaining that the Flag Song is the same as respecting the Star Spangled Banner. But ya know.. these yahoos are probably the same ones that dont' respect their elders or anything anymore too.
Jametx is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #59
Tsalagi Agaliha

Agaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond reputeAgaliha Tsiwodi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,212.38
Quote:

No kidding... I mean, you don't just walk up to some random person on the street, grab ahold of their shirt or skirt, and go "Oh wow what a pretty outfit you've got on!" So why think you can do it to ndns?? Like you said, common courtesy and common sense is a huge part of the problem.

Another thing that bugs me is these "rednecks" who show up with rebel flags everywhere and acting like they're at a NASCAR race!!
Agaliha Tsiwodi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #60
pow wow mom

Quote:
hey SuzzeQ4 this is Shadowoman and kid we'll see you at Golden Lake ayo
Sponsored Links