Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk When bad things happen at pow wows When bad things happen at pow wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
PitaChips is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 385.13
Savings: 0.00
Exclamation When bad things happen at pow wows

I'm writing because I am bothered by a few very negative experiences my friend and I have had at pow wows. I want to pose the question: What responsibility, if any, does the pow wow world have in regulating extremely immoral behavior?

I'm going to start with a man by the name of (edit by moderator) and he dances traditional.

He was indicted of rape when he was twenty years old against TWO minors. Here is proof of that:

( Edit out URL - if people would like to follow up with this info, they can PM the poster)

Currently, he is still being a pervy old fart.

The first chance (edit) got my young friend alone, he grabbed her to feel her up. She said she froze at first cause she couldn't believe what was happening and he had her cornered. She thought she was going to get raped. When she told him to let her go, he said, "No." Luckily, she got away, and went to the police. They couldn't file charges on him they said.

The next time she saw him at a pow wow, he stared her down. He still places at pow wows. If the US government can't do anything, shouldn't the pow wows he goes to be able to?

I've heard of a competition dancer that became known for stealing, amongst his dancer colleagues and friends, and he stopped placing in contests all over the place. There, it was numerous pow wow committees that dealt with him.

But then, I've been to another pow wow where a drum group had been drinking the night before, saw it myself, and they went on to sing the next day, STILL DRUNK and reeking of alcohol. I told someone on the pow wow committee, "if you're not going to disqualify them can't you at least SAY something to them?" This was a HUGE pow wow where the governor of the state was visiting, elementary schools had brought all their children to visit for a field trip. Thus how everyone presents themselves is a big deal.

The committee member just looked at me like I was naive, like she didn't want to deal with it. I just wanted to say, "lady you people have the power to send the message to people that these actions aren't right and won't be tolerated by anyone." But nope, that drum group still won third place.

I understand that these cases I've brought up do not represent everyone, all of the pow wow world. There are some genuinely good people, good elders, good men, good drum groups out there. But I think this deserves to be discussed.

So again, I ask, what responsibility--if any--does the pow wow world have against these kinds of actions? What experiences have you had where something was handled properly? Maybe that pow wow committee can speak about its protocol so others can learn.

Last edited by yaahl; 11-22-2012 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: I have done an edit on your post. Please refrain from naming people in your posts.
PitaChips is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitaChips View Post
So again, I ask, what responsibility--if any--does the pow wow world have against these kinds of actions?
What is the "powwow world?"

If no laws are broken, it's nobody's responsibility to do anything. If they are, that's why we have law enforcement.

I'm not a fan of generating some sort of pan-Indian morality attached to the circle then carrying it to the parking lot. What folks do on their own time is their own time.

Last edited by Zeke; 11-23-2012 at 02:02 AM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 48,439.05
When I think of bad things at powwows. I remember when Phyllis Big Left Hand's son was shot dead at a powwow by an errant bullet. That was long ago.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Banned

WoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,641.56
pretty bad and it deserves attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitaChips View Post
I'm writing because I am bothered by a few very negative experiences my friend and I have had at pow wows. I want to pose the question: What responsibility, if any, does the pow wow world have in regulating extremely immoral behavior?

I'm going to start with a man by the name of (edit by moderator) and he dances traditional.

He was indicted of rape when he was twenty years old against TWO minors. Here is proof of that:

( Edit out URL - if people would like to follow up with this info, they can PM the poster)

Currently, he is still being a pervy old fart.

The first chance (edit) got my young friend alone, he grabbed her to feel her up. She said she froze at first cause she couldn't believe what was happening and he had her cornered. She thought she was going to get raped. When she told him to let her go, he said, "No." Luckily, she got away, and went to the police. They couldn't file charges on him they said.

The next time she saw him at a pow wow, he stared her down. He still places at pow wows. If the US government can't do anything, shouldn't the pow wows he goes to be able to?

I've heard of a competition dancer that became known for stealing, amongst his dancer colleagues and friends, and he stopped placing in contests all over the place. There, it was numerous pow wow committees that dealt with him.

But then, I've been to another pow wow where a drum group had been drinking the night before, saw it myself, and they went on to sing the next day, STILL DRUNK and reeking of alcohol. I told someone on the pow wow committee, "if you're not going to disqualify them can't you at least SAY something to them?" This was a HUGE pow wow where the governor of the state was visiting, elementary schools had brought all their children to visit for a field trip. Thus how everyone presents themselves is a big deal.

The committee member just looked at me like I was naive, like she didn't want to deal with it. I just wanted to say, "lady you people have the power to send the message to people that these actions aren't right and won't be tolerated by anyone." But nope, that drum group still won third place.

I understand that these cases I've brought up do not represent everyone, all of the pow wow world. There are some genuinely good people, good elders, good men, good drum groups out there. But I think this deserves to be discussed.

So again, I ask, what responsibility--if any--does the pow wow world have against these kinds of actions? What experiences have you had where something was handled properly? Maybe that pow wow committee can speak about its protocol so others can learn.
bad stuff bad way's attn needed big time
WoundedBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Banned

WoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond reputeWoundedBear has a reputation beyond repute
people who do bad do mess up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedBear View Post
bad stuff bad way's attn needed big time
that one bad apple he needs to go but there not much i can do about it i new to the system
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

NativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 982.77
thats what the Arena Director is for boot the creeps off the dance arena and contact the powwow staff and security. And as for the drum group,probly wont get invited back by the powwow staff.alot of popular drum groups that sings contemporary gets banned even for alcohol use or drugs ,big no no who uses the drum for $$$. tsk tsk shouldnt sing at all.

if you dont like the powwow,then dont go at all.

If you see a sex offender contact the police and let them know about his whereabouts.

Last edited by NativeChick509; 11-29-2012 at 02:49 PM..
NativeChick509 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Banned

I love pow wows it is a native way of life thrue I live thrue lot's of hell when not at one so pow wow is only good thing I have to look forward to in life other than I wish bia would just do it job and make my life less hell and come and nab me and throw my but in on the Rez and throw me my cdib and citizenship card to me and leave me there with my own kind
Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
3 down and 1 to go! lol

Items SwordPresentPresent
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,926.62
Savings: 1.00
I know some powwows when they have drum groups come in, they have the group sign I assume, a "morality clause". You know, no drinking, be on time, etc. You could just take that and have your headstaff do the same, but as for everyone else? Well, yeah, what they do before and after the powwow is thier own time. . .

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."
Chevy_truckin_NDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Banned

I find nothing wrong with a drum group smelling like booze all I care about is just as long the on time to play and play them right . Besides I don't see a drum killing people .
Sponsored Links