Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree10Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy 1/64 indian? 1/64 indian?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #41
Banned

Items Tree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,536.73
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezrazed View Post

Moderator hat on, I edited this post as it is just a continuation of off topic fighting with no real contribution to the topic.

Mayhem, you have been placed on moderated posting for a period of two weeks. All your posts will be moderated until you decide to play nice.

Rerazed, if you have an issue with Mayhem either take to PM or put each other on ignore.
Aaaaaaaaaaaawe! yaahl, you edited the best part! LOL.
Alright, I'm sorry Mrs. Moderator, I'll cease.

Dang it, gotta play nice around here anymore (grumble, grumble grumble)...
rezrazed is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #42
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I was born white. I know what I say. So after you find out you're Indian, 6 generations removed, what are you?

Mayhem is everywhere.
Too many people find out later in life who their ancestors are/were. The way your parents raised you may not reflect the knowledge and traditions held by any of your great-great grandparents.

A chart for family bloodlines:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bowtie_chart.pdf (137.6 KB, 211 views)
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #43
Pow Wow Visitor

Locus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 218.14
I hope it's not too late to add my .02. I've been going to powwows and doing my best to absorb what Native America will allow me to for 20 years and I'm 1/32 Choctaw (enrolled, the whole bit) from a large white family that, like the original poster only sort of get it. When we found out, we underwent some sort of renaissance that really left me scratching my head.
All of a sudden I had aunts and uncles trying to tell me about buffalo and eagles and flashing their "Indian Card" and I'm too tired of trying to tell them that with their exploitive attitude the only thing they have in common with their Aboriginal forefathers is being the last in a long line of monetarily poor people from Oklahoma with regular names that lived in houses and not Bull Face in a Tipi. They didn't care to learn the language even though it's offered free, and they were hearing nothing of playing stick ball. But who wants to listen to a 13 year old anyways?

Last edited by Locus Solus; 09-28-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Locus Solus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,856.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locus Solus View Post
I hope it's not too late to add my .02. I've been going to powwows and doing my best to absorb what Native America will allow me to for 20 years and I'm 1/32 Choctaw (enrolled, the whole bit) from a large white family that, like the original poster only sort of get it. When we found out, we underwent some sort of renaissance that really left me scratching my head.
All of a sudden I had aunts and uncles trying to tell me about buffalo and eagles and flashing their "Indian Card" and I'm too tired of trying to tell them that with their exploitive attitude the only thing they have in common with their Aboriginal forefathers is being the last in a long line of monetarily poor people from Oklahoma with regular names that lived in houses and not Bull Face in a Tipi. They didn't care to learn the language even though it's offered free, and they were hearing nothing of playing stick ball. But who wants to listen to a 13 year old anyways?
So let me get this straight: You've been powwowing 7 years longer than you've been alive ? Just askin' ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #45
Pow Wow Visitor

Mayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 717.70
Quote:
Good Job! Take the money that could have gone to a poor rezrazed kid that could have gone back and helped his tribe.

And you're twice as much as 1/64th.

Note: If you read the original post before it was edited, the 2 cents was this guy/girl was raised white, took Indian College Fund money to get educated...and stayed white.

Ban me or jump on me, but this is the kind of stuff I was jumped on for stating my opinion.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #46
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Good Job! Take the money that could have gone to a poor rezrazed kid that could have gone back and helped his tribe.

And you're twice as much as 1/64th.

Note: If you read the original post before it was edited, the 2 cents was this guy/girl was raised white, took Indian College Fund money to get educated...and stayed white.

Ban me or jump on me, but this is the kind of stuff I was jumped on for stating my opinion.
If you are going to state an opinion, then be prepared to defend your assertions. If you feel "jumped on" then review your comments and take responsibility for them. Don't blame others for what comes out of your computer's keyboard via your brain.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #47
Pow Wow Visitor

Mayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond reputeMayhem has a reputation beyond repute
I'm ready.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #48
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
So let me get this straight: You've been powwowing 7 years longer than you've been alive ? Just askin' ! LOL
Mr. wardancer,

In the OP's original post, they was saying nobody would listen to a 13 year old.

Years later, he figured the tribe was giving him free money to go to school and he took the money without ever knowing his culture (ever hear it said it's not about blood quantum, it's about culture?).

And now he wants to paint feathers instead of getting real ones with his NDN card. Go figure! hahahaaa
Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #49
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,928.95
Quote:
I'm ready.
No, you're not.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #50
Pow Wow Visitor

I am.

You see, Zeke, white America agrees with your views. You let us all in. You say no need for blood quantum. We agree. Makes it easier for us to be Native.

Why? Because it's people like you who want to be white America, know they never can. What you see in the mirror every morning, we do, also.

I am white corporate America. I am white blue collar America. I am the victor. Your words.

The difference between 'to wit' and 'twit' is but one letter.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #51
Pow Wow Visitor

Locus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond repute
Ok Mayhem I hope that my reply strokes your ego.
I edited my original statement because hey it really wasn't what the topic was about and I realized it too late. When I started school, somehow the Nation figured it out and sent me a higher ed application. Am I going to say no? I'm a nursing student so the giving back whatever I can offer to whomever needs me is gonna have to wait and if I lose my direction in the process it's up to you hold me to it. Deal?
As for my desire to reproduce feathers, You have the wrong idea and it has nothing to do with the subject matter at hand.

When your hypertension starts getting the best of you I'll be waiting with an indiscriminate hand.
hahahaaa

WarDancer- I attended my first 2 weeks shy of my 12th BDay, Im 32 now. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #52
Native Illuzionz-My Biz

canavajo is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 431.06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafToniB View Post
I am not sure 1/64 of your bloodline. That puzzle me on this. Usually it is always 1/2 or 3/4 or 1/4 or 1/6 of your bloodline.

So you are trying to be Indian as romantic (like dreaming to become one). You don't know much about Native tradition (culture) if you are talking about something that does not sound right. Maybe a little bit if you heard someone say to you about Cherokee tradition.

There are roll names on the Dawes Rolls that you can check it out. If the person was enrolled into the reservation in Oklahoma or back in the east of the coast where they came from before the Trails of Tears. My great grandmother was Cherokee and she was not happy to walked on the long trail to Oklahoma so she escaped into the mountains. She suffered badly. We don't like roll names on the Dawes Rolls as if we were animals, not human. But that is only way to check that out and you might find your ancestor in it. I wish you luck finding what you are looking for either on the computer or asking about looking into Dawes Rolls.
////
Cherokee enrollees can claim as low as 1/132.

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
canavajo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #53
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,856.15
Quote:
WarDancer- I attended my first 2 weeks shy of my 12th BDay, Im 32 now. Sorry for the confusion.
Thank-you for the clarification ! Really , I understood , just gigging you a little.
Mayhem , I know who you are ! Have fun it that persona !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #54
Native Illuzionz-My Biz

canavajo is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 431.06
Enrollment

My home business is 'Native Illuzionz'. I assist with Geneology for Native Americans. Enrollment for a census number is with one tribe only, but can be listed as a member with other tribes. The census would be used for Native Scholarships which require 1/4th Blood quantum. Blood quantums of lower than 1/4th will only receive tribal benefits and in house when off the rez. Any other questions you can contact at http://www.etsy.com/people/NativeIlluzionz?ref=si_pr
canavajo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #55
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Thank-you for the clarification ! Really , I understood , just gigging you a little.
Mayhem , I know who you are ! Have fun it that persona !
hehe
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #56
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,043.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by canavajo View Post
////
Cherokee enrollees can claim as low as 1/132.
Actually...
Since there is no MINIMUM Blood Quantum that is moot, another point there is no longer enrollees in the Cherokee Nation the Rolls were closed in 1907, So a person is establishing a direct decendant to an "Enrollee". My Grandmother for instance was born Nov 1907 she is not an enrollee but was a citizen of the tribe because we go back a generation to her parents who were along with her older brother and sisters all Fullbloods.
As for Blood Quantum its only the BIA that requires a minimum for "Services" read Education in that word.

My wife works for Absentee Shawnee Clinic and they give services to anyone that has a Tribal Card (Federal), I dont know if that is true at all IHS but I have heard it so but I am sure there will be a few that dont...

I always find it fascinating that when people bring up Minimum blood Quantums they always bring up the Cherokee Nation as someone could be 1/100,000 or something like that. Not that I am angery about that it just seems so... By the Way there are 3 Federal Cherokee tribes each requiring different criteria for citizenship EBCI is 1/16th and UKB is 1/4.

Here are the tribes that currently do not require a Minimum Blood Quantum:

Alabama-Quassarte Tribal Town
Cherokee Nation
Chickasaw Nation
Choctaw Nation
Citizen Potawatomi Nation
Delaware Tribe of Indians
Eastern Shawnee Tribe
Mashantucket Pequot Tribe of Connecticut
Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe of Massachusetts
Miami Tribe of Oklahoma
Modoc Tribe
Muscogee Creek Nation
Osage Nation
Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma
Peoria Tribe of Indians
Quapaw Tribe of Oklahoma
Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan
Seminole Nation
Seneca-Cayuga Tribe of Oklahoma
Shawnee Tribe
Thlopthlocco Tribal Town
Tonkawa Tribe
Wyandotte Nation
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #57
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Actually...
Since there is no MINIMUM Blood Quantum that is moot, another point there is no longer enrollees in the Cherokee Nation the Rolls were closed in 1907, So a person is establishing a direct decendant to an "Enrollee". My Grandmother for instance was born Nov 1907 she is not an enrollee but was a citizen of the tribe because we go back a generation to her parents who were along with her older brother and sisters all Fullbloods.
As for Blood Quantum its only the BIA that requires a minimum for "Services" read Education in that word.

My wife works for Absentee Shawnee Clinic and they give services to anyone that has a Tribal Card (Federal), I dont know if that is true at all IHS but I have heard it so but I am sure there will be a few that dont...

I always find it fascinating that when people bring up Minimum blood Quantums they always bring up the Cherokee Nation as someone could be 1/100,000 or something like that. Not that I am angery about that it just seems so... By the Way there are 3 Federal Cherokee tribes each requiring different criteria for citizenship EBCI is 1/16th and UKB is 1/4.

Here are the tribes that currently do not require a Minimum Blood Quantum:

Alabama-Quassarte Tribal Town
Cherokee Nation
Chickasaw Nation
Choctaw Nation
Citizen Potawatomi Nation
Delaware Tribe of Indians
Eastern Shawnee Tribe
Mashantucket Pequot Tribe of Connecticut
Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe of Massachusetts
Miami Tribe of Oklahoma
Modoc Tribe
Muscogee Creek Nation
Osage Nation
Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma
Peoria Tribe of Indians
Quapaw Tribe of Oklahoma
Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan
Seminole Nation
Seneca-Cayuga Tribe of Oklahoma
Shawnee Tribe
Thlopthlocco Tribal Town
Tonkawa Tribe
Wyandotte Nation
I'd kind of like to know what it is regarding the blood quantum minimum that would lead a tribal government to their criteria. Is it:
-Sheer Numbers
-Tribal history, movement, and locale (How different is a California Chahta today from an Okla Chahta at the turn of the century from a Mississippi Chahta who Decided to stay back?)
-Likelihood of earlier or more established "mixed blood"
-Having more or less to offer any given # of members
-Sense of honor and pride
-degree of assimilation in any certain direction or the relation the tribes had with the other various people flooding across the continents? Does it vary from tribe to tribe with guidelines set forth by a given Tribal Council in line with consensus of the Tribal Populace?
Or, in one sentence-Why would Choctaw or Cherokee enrollment be so much of a different thing from from Tonkawa, or Tlingit, or Couer D'Alene?
One of the things I find so fascinating about all this is that yes, I may already be 5 generations separated from the first verifiable proof of my Native Genes, but 5 generations is a drop in the bucket from the first people to cross the land bridge over into Alaska.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #58
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
I'd kind of like to know what it is regarding the blood quantum minimum that would lead a tribal government to their criteria. Is it:
-Sheer Numbers
-Tribal history, movement, and locale (How different is a California Chahta today from an Okla Chahta at the turn of the century from a Mississippi Chahta who Decided to stay back?)
-Likelihood of earlier or more established "mixed blood"
-Having more or less to offer any given # of members
-Sense of honor and pride
-degree of assimilation in any certain direction or the relation the tribes had with the other various people flooding across the continents? Does it vary from tribe to tribe with guidelines set forth by a given Tribal Council in line with consensus of the Tribal Populace?
Or, in one sentence-Why would Choctaw or Cherokee enrollment be so much of a different thing from from Tonkawa, or Tlingit, or Couer D'Alene?
One of the things I find so fascinating about all this is that yes, I may already be 5 generations separated from the first verifiable proof of my Native Genes, but 5 generations is a drop in the bucket from the first people to cross the land bridge over into Alaska.
It's called tribal sovereignty. Self determination is necessary if we are to survive.

As Josiah once pointed out, in all of our creation stories, none have a story about a big migration... none. Think about that...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #59
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
It's called tribal sovereignty. Self determination is necessary if we are to survive.

As Josiah once pointed out, in all of our creation stories, none have a story about a big migration... none. Think about that...
^This.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #60
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,928.95
Quote:
I am.
No, you're not.

Misquoting and linear thought aren't typically traits of an intellectual.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links