Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Ancestry and Genealogy Forum Ancestry and Genealogy Forum

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #61
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdwolf View Post
We may look truely as our heritage is but what is look if we cant be fully accredited ?Wado for any information

Oh geez! Best of luck to you in your quest, but what good is it if being 'fully accredited' is all you're looking for??

If you're going to 'look the look' and 'talk the talk', why not 'walk the walk'? And you don't need any accreditation to do that.

I don't have the accreditation, but that doesn't stop me from living my Native American culture. Not that I'm any expert...I'm learning all the time...a piece of paper doesn't define who you really are.
eagleclanriverband likes this.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #62
Pow Wow Visitor

monetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant future
Credits: 137.21
My Grandmother's Heritage

Hello Everyone,

My name is Marie. I am very interested in finding information regarding my Grandmother's heritage, her name was Mary Olive Fraser, from Pictou Landing in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. Thank you for any assistance you may provide.

Most Gratefully
Marie
monetgardening is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #63
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Marie:

Contact the Mi'kmaq Council or The Metis Nation of Nova Scotia (Yarmouth), both organizations have researchers available to help you. If your grandmother was enfranchised (lost her status)because of the Indian Act, her enfranchisement records may be available either at the band office on Pictou or in the National Archives in Ottawa. Indian Agents kept meticulous records of enfranchisement papers.

Provincial archives will be able to supply you with her marriage certificate, birth certificate and also check with the local parish for baptism records.

Good luck.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #64
Junior Dancer

delila77 has a reputation beyond repute
delila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,269.27
ancestry

i was curious about ancestry .com so i did a free trial just outta curiosity. i searched my ma's name, and was kind of not happy. they had pictures of all my family members. How do they get pictures of my family? pictures been passed down from family to family. i do love seeing old timin pics but not sure if i feel comfortable knowing 20-30 years down the line my grand babies will have easy access to my pics. they probably think good gawd she was a dork lol i found alot of information wasnt accurate either. like my dads middle name. i understand that things get mixed up down the line. well i hope later in years they don't mistake my name for bessie roflamo
well it was all a god experiment.
delila77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #65
Pow Wow Visitor

monetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant futuremonetgardening has a brilliant future
Credits: 137.21
Dear Yaahl,

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, I greatly appreciate your help.

Most Gratefully
Marie
monetgardening is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #66
Veteran SGT Nordhorn

fnordhorn is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 320.00
Savings: 1.00
Some National Archives resorces

The National Archives in Washington DC has two areas to look for things. College Park MD and Archives Downtown across the street from the Navy Memorial.

College Park, MD
Military Records - This archives building has the unit records for military units and Ship Logs. So if you know that someone served in a unit like the 955th Field Artillery in WWII (my Father unit) I can putt the 955 file and look thru it. most units had a person recording the Day to Day Happenings in WWII also you may find something like the 1st of the month a list of all people that received awards the month before with who issued the award.
Pvt John Jones (serial #) GO 55 V corps (date) Bronze Star with V
With that information you pull V Corps file and look at the General Orders (GO) issued by V Corps look for GO 55 to read the order.

Downtown DC
The archives in DC as Microfilm of all the Census's.
Also it has all military records before WW-I.
Let say you GG Grandfather was in the Civil War (Union) you can look at his military records. Most military records have no real information except for the 1st and last card. The 1st card will tell you what he look like.
As most veterans from these wars filed for a pension from the government you know want to go pull the pension file, this is where the information is.
Note: these files can be hard to read at first as there in the old English script writting
Example: (date of statement 1 June 1890) for George Bundy
Appearing before me to day is Annette Elvira Jones Bundy age 60 who the husband of William Bundy who the brother of George Bundy.
From this we know Annette was born 1829 to 1831 her maiden name maybe Jones her husband is William Bundy who has a brother George Bundy. (Note your going to want to pull William File also if there is one)

For Confederate States I am told Richmond VA has the records.

I hope this help a little
fnordhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #67
Pow Wow Visitor

rwhisle1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 121.63
Question Trying to help my wife find her heritage

New to this so I hope I posted in the right place! If not, let me know so I can correct.

My wife's mother was a native american from the Seneca tribe in New York. She gave her up for adoption as a baby. She still has no idea who her mother was or how to reconnect with her heritage and tribe. She has been frustrated in the past as her adoption records are sealed but at the age of 44 years she seems more and more anxious to solve this mystery in her life and also her children are now asking questions.

So my new goal is to find out as much as I can about that empty hole in her life so I am reaching out to get help from you all. She does have her adoption papers and currently lives in Virginia but knows little else except what tribe her mother came from.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Randy
rwhisle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2016, 01:18 AM   #68
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
SHe has her adoption paper's and it lists on there that her biological mother was Seneca NDN? Okay, well that's a first for me.

But when it comes to adoptions, there are many ways to do it.

One way is to petition the court where she was adopted to unseal those records. Most states have rules and regs about it, so you would have to call the court house where her adoption went through and find out what their rules are for unsealing an adoption record. It seems a little off that she would have been from the Seneca Nation in NY and adopted in VA. You said she's living there now, was she adopted or raised in NY?

And a few other things to remember or know: being adopted her birth cert should say "Amended" on it, that will tell her what court the adoption went through, you said she has those papers, that's a start. She should have the case number of the adoption as well, another thing is is that her original birth certificate, the day she was actually born still exists. However, it will be under her original name, so if she was given a name at birth that would be one it or it might even say "Baby Girl" and what ever her biological mother's last name was at that time.
windanncer likes this.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #69
Pow Wow Visitor

KatsEyeView is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 125.00
george and polly

where are the photos? i have a photo of george dowell, and polly mary tomberlin.
KatsEyeView is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2017, 12:42 AM   #70
Pow Wow Visitor

global01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 140.00
terima kasih banyak