Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Toolbox
  • 1 Post By Toolbox

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Any Native American "Mixed" Tribes In New York City or Brooklyn? Any Native American "Mixed" Tribes In New York City or Brooklyn?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
GuillermoMata is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 5.00
Savings: 0.00
Any Native American "Mixed" Tribes In New York City or Brooklyn?

Hey Everyone,

so not to long ago took a "DNA" test with ancestry.com. The DNA test revealed
that I'am 24% Native on both sides mom's from puerto rico & the other from panama.

I'm interested in getting involved in a tribe in NYC to learn the dances, instruments etc
"To get my self back in to with my native roots".

Any help will be great.
GuillermoMata is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,785.35
Hi and welcome to Powwwows.com.

To answer your question right off the bat - No, there are no mixed tribes. A tribe by definition is
Quote:
a group of people that includes many families and relatives who have the same language, customs, and beliefs (Merriam-Webster)
. There are however communities made up of people from different tribes. In NYC there is the "American Indian Community House of NYC" American Indian Community House - AICH Check their website for events like socials and cultural nights where you can experience a bit of what the NYC Native community is like.

A word of caution before walking into anywhere asking about cultural traditions and customs - know your background first. That is to say find out what tribe your family is from because that will come up.
WhoMe and SsmalltownNDN like this.

Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

GuillermoMata is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 5.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Hi and welcome to Powwwows.com.

To answer your question right off the bat - No, there are no mixed tribes. A tribe by definition is . There are however communities made up of people from different tribes. In NYC there is the "American Indian Community House of NYC" American Indian Community House - AICH Check their website for events like socials and cultural nights where you can experience a bit of what the NYC Native community is like.

A word of caution before walking into anywhere asking about cultural traditions and customs - know your background first. That is to say find out what tribe your family is from because that will come up.

Yea I was able to dig up some census records that took me back to my great grand parents in puerto rico 1700's around the time they started calling the indians mullato, black etc. I actually found a tribe in the NY area I'm getting ready to take part in.

What I'm really looking for is a place where I can represent my african & indian background :)
based in the queens, brooklyn or even long island area....

But I guess you have a point attending one of these events should give the answer.
GuillermoMata is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Dalaa Bacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 894.26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillermoMata View Post
Hey Everyone,

so not to long ago took a "DNA" test with ancestry.com. The DNA test revealed
that I'am 24% Native on both sides mom's from puerto rico & the other from panama.

I'm interested in getting involved in a tribe in NYC to learn the dances, instruments etc
"To get my self back in to with my native roots".

Any help will be great.

I am not really sure about how the DNA test works meaning how they Identify Native American and if they are able to tell you from what tribe? Sounds to me that the Native Ancestry you have comes from South America. South American Native are Native Americans too, but if you are looking to get involved with culture specific traditions from your ancestry you might have to do a bit more digging.

I mean I am sure if you connect with other Puerto Rican and Panamanians you can get more specific information about the Natives from those areas.

NOW, I am not trying to discourage you from taking part in North American Native Culture at all so in NYC you have the RED HAWK NATIVE AMERICAN ATRS COUNCIL. They teach culture, traditions and dance right here in NYC Redhawk Native American Arts Council | New York State Native American Resources | Native American Dancers, Shows, Dance Classes, Workshops, Assemblies and Pow Wows *in New York, New Jersey, Hawaii and San Francisco | Native American Indian NY, NJ, Ha for more information. They also host 3 of the best Pow Wow you are going to find in the NYC area.

There is also the Shinnecock Reservation on Long Island as well as several tribes in CT and upstate NY. But if I were you I'd start with the Red Hawk council and also look more into your South American Roots.
Dalaa Bacho is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,785.35
RedHawk is actually hosting 4 this year as they are doing Sussex, NJ as well which they have not done in a few years.
Dalaa Bacho likes this.

Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links