PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Ancestry and Genealogy (http://forums.powwows.com/f114/)
-   -   To anyone researching Geneology for Appalachian Families... (http://forums.powwows.com/f114/anyone-researching-geneology-appalachian-families-55827/)

Usdigvhi 03-23-2010 06:55 PM

To anyone researching Geneology for Appalachian Families...

I leave Powwows.com for a while and come back and theres a new sub-forum that I'd like to participate in LOL

Anyway, I thought I would share a bit of things to anyone researching from my 10 long years of researching.

If your family is from Appalachia, and as far as you can tell has ALWAYS been in Appalachia, you were told your whole life you are native, and you swear your family looks it, but your ancestor did NOT walk the trail of tears...there is a strong possibility you are Melungeon. Some of the most popular Melungeon surnames are:

Collins, Gibson, Mullins, Goins, Bunch, Bowlin, and Denham

Melungeon is not some "undiscovered" tribe, all it is is a fancy name for people who mixed early. And not just native tribes and whites, but also African Americans as well, and then after they intermarried, they kept marrying people who were also mixed. Most of the time, they put white on the census just for people to leave them alone, but they were still social outcasts because they looked and acted different from your standard white person because they had mixed cultures and didn't wholly identify with any of the 3 social groups.

You can find more info about Melungeons at Welcome to the Melungeon Heritage Association Website | Melungeon Heritage Association

timmy tiger 03-28-2010 08:56 PM

Well now this is good. I've heard of the Melungeon's but don't really know all that much about them. One of my uncles ran into some a year ago and they were looking for someone to do their heritage research for them and he contacted me. So far nothing's come of it but I don't think he's gotten back there just yet. When he does he will let me know and we will see about all of that.

Thank you for the website too.

annie_griffin 06-16-2010 08:47 AM

Melungeons of Virginia

Greetings all,
Also ran across this word while doing part of family history.

Names related to and associated with tri-racial Carters:

Driggers, Perkins,Nickens, Lowery, Braveboy, Moore

happy to provide more info upon request.

sincerely,
annie

I'm A Mutt 06-16-2010 07:22 PM

Thank you

This is great link and I'm sure it's gonna be helpful.
Please do share your other sources.
Mutt

annie_griffin 06-16-2010 11:08 PM

unknown

Usdigvi,
Thank you for the information and I love that quote by Tecumseh.

sincerely,
annie

Wonder why we need to title every post.

annie_griffin 06-17-2010 08:18 AM

Carter

IM,
wondering if you have a nick name I am not so comfortable addressing you
as I'm a Mutt.

The surnames I posted are a small bit taken from information on rootswebancestry.com.

It talks mainly about Carter Geneology. Good searching. I am not an expert by any means but always happy to share.

sincerely,
andrea

Tangram 07-04-2010 02:24 AM

Wow, what a quote!
....and it will be a beautiful day to die!

annie_griffin 07-04-2010 09:19 AM

a good day to live

Personallly I think it is a good day to live.

annie

I'm A Mutt 07-04-2010 05:14 PM

Annie my real name is Jean, but Mutt works fine. I've been called worse.

caymiss 08-18-2010 09:34 PM

Fairmont Indian School District, Marion, WV

1 Attachment(s)
Looking into my ancestry and found this record that may be a G-Grandfather. Have not been able to find anything so far on the web about the school and whether it was really an Indian School.

Anybody know anything about this school? I am new at researching, but was thinking about calling up to Fairmont WV - perhaps to the Clerk of Court or even Public Library to see if I could find out something.

Researching family names Goodwin, Taylor, Fisher, Hager.

Chief Bull, founder of Bulltown, WV may be ancestor through Fisher & Goodwin families, but I have not found proof.

White Deer 08-24-2010 03:59 PM

I am interested. I have been told all my life that we are of Cherokee heritage and I was taught much about Cherokee from grandmother. But my family lived in mountains and did not walk the Trail of Tears. During my genealogy search I found our family listed as white and even Phillipine, etc. I go by the Cherokee ways but I guess I am Metis since I know we are mixed bloods. My family is from the Applicians. Mountain dwellers. My grandmother and her mother and my mother all look cherokee and I do some as well. My father was schottish so I have light skin. Mother had dark skin as did hers. Black Hair and Brown eyes, she had. I traced family back to Daniel Hensley 1790. No proof but what came from my great grandmother and census pages.

* Live each day in happiness being sure to always leave a memory behind with each you meet *

annie_griffin 08-24-2010 04:51 PM

research

Greetings White Deer and All,
I have not done much new research. I'll have to get working on that again
soon.
It sounds as if you have a lot of information already in terms of family oral history
and cultural traditions. Not sure if you are just starting geneology.
I was told to start with the people closest to you and work backwards.
A name a place and an event birth,marriage death etc.

Happy searching. Happy to meet you.

annie

caymiss 08-24-2010 08:38 PM

Fairmont Indian School District, Marion, WV

I called the Historical Society of Marion County, West Virginia and left a message but have not heard from them. I am concerned that records may have been destroyed about an Indian School there. If that is the case, my great-grandfather's trail may be lost at that point. Was his history and heritage beaten out of him in a school?

A wonderful lady from the Munsee Delaware tribe is also helping me with researching the Fisher and Hager family in West Virginia. She has worked on my father's side which is primarily Shawnee.

Seems WV may have been very hard on the native peoples, I found the 1880 census where one grandfather is recorded as being born in Oklahoma and in the next one he is listed as born in WV. Was he afraid of being sent back?? of loosing his home or children??

So much is a mystery . . .

annie_griffin 08-24-2010 08:49 PM

will look

Caymiss,
I wish I knew more to help. Next time I research I'll keep in mind this information.
The whole boarding school program is a shameful part of American history.

Keep searching.

annie

Shawrakee 12-16-2010 07:38 PM

Suwanee

[

Titus2woman 11-06-2012 01:59 PM

This is such a wonderful thread to search and find! We are Melungeon via my Papaw~he was a Wright from Wise County, VA. Sadly I do not know very much of our family history, but my Aunt has been attending the Melungeon festivals the past few years. Would love to learn more about my roots! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Atehequa 04-06-2013 05:49 PM

As for the Melungeons I was once told that they have some eastern Siouan heritage,such as Yuchi, Catawba, Monacan, Saponi, Mannahoac and Occoneechee.

Atehequa 04-06-2013 09:20 PM

Having lived in and traveled through a good part of the southern Appalachians has giving me a better understanding regarding the people who inhabit this region.

Before colonial land surveyors began staking royal claims, European hunters, trappers, traders and people escaping imprisonment, indentured servitude along with African American runaway slaves, were either living, or spending a great deal of time in the Appalachians.

Of course there were already other people inhabiting these rolling highlands. No doubt people such as the Saponi, Tutelo, Yuchi, Catawba, Minqua, Cherokee and Shawnee had better relations with relatively small numbers of these newcomers than the hordes of settlers, colonial militias and royal armies that came later. Most of the earliest English, Dutch and Germans moving into the Appalachians would not live with these native people, but the French, Irish and Scots would readily marry into native tribes. Perhaps the Gaelic Irish and Scots could better identify with tribal cultures. Many runaway indentured servants and African American slaves were adopted into these native tribes, some gaining a high standing. All in all some white people found life better among the Indians than the poverty or servitude they had known in the colonies The way I understand it, some of these Appalachian Melungeon communities are rather old, the result of small tribal bands living deep in the mountains becoming a mixed people in time. Iíve known and talked to a few of these Melungeons and found them to be a rather sturdy and resourceful people.

running_with_buffs 04-08-2013 05:20 PM

they are called hillbillies now

Atehequa 04-08-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running_with_buffs (Post 1572284)
they are called hillbillies now

Say, do you also go by the name of Drowning Otter?