Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree38Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Apache links in England Apache links in England

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #21
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Stephan Grundy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 112.00
Savings: 0.00
I am somewhat reminded of an "open pow-wow" (er, we appreciate your gifts of energy via money, and will repay you with a bit of a Native thrill - sorry to sound dreadfully cynical, but that was the way it struck me) I attended in Newfoundland some years back.
I was horribly embarrassed by some of the things the white visitors got up to, such as getting snarky because the Elder in charge would not give them a coal from the fires to take home.
My impression, and possibly I am boasting a bit, but...I spent the days up in the woods carving a set of runestaves out of the bones of the bear which I had gone to Newfoundland to seek, and only came down for the sweat lodges at night, since the practice is very similar to our Northern sauna. The Elder in charge took me at my word when I let him know that I was accustomed to the practice, and put me in the hottest spot; I found it quite pleasant, and not as challenging as most of the other guests did, given that Finnish sauna (among its many other spiritual uses) is often used by young men to develop and demonstrate the quality called sisu (courage/stubborness/heroism). But I got the impression that having a guest who greatly respected and wished to learn from the traditions of his hosts, yet had his own native traditions and did not desire to be a Tribe Hokumfakum Injun, was a bit of a relief...
Stephan Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 113,513.90
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Sorry. My error. I was just working from what you said in another thread -- before you removed it. I guess I misunderstood.

I'm glad you found a relative. My people, the Oglala, place great value on kin. You know your place by knowing how you are related to those about you, human and otherwise. You are judged by whether or not you act appropriately within those relationships.

I've never I've never claimed to be anything other than the granddaughter of my grandfather. I don't live on the rez, tho' I have family back home. I do claim to be an ieyska, who has lived with open eyes and ears.

I am done speaking with you. I was not bullying you, despite what you think.
I was once married to an Oglala woman. Crazy passionate. I slept with one eye open because she slept with a knife under her pillow.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #23
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chalako is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,020.12
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
I was once married to an Oglala woman. Crazy passionate. I slept with one eye open because she slept with a knife under her pillow.
I would'nt sleep at all
Chalako is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #24
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalako View Post
I would'nt sleep at all
You just don't know what a bad *** JD is!

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #25
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,268.92
Than it is time that he learns who, what and else JD is.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #26
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
Than it is time that he learns who, what and else JD is.
JD walks on water.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #27
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,268.92

neat really neat fine

non of the English words covers alone the one German word I have in mind.

Last edited by Broken Arrow; 09-17-2018 at 02:27 PM..
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #28
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 57,712.43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
JD walks on water.
In ruby slippers !
subeeds, gilisi and Broken Arrow like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #29
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
In ruby slippers !
"There's no place like home. There's no place like home."
OLChemist, subeeds, gilisi and 1 others like this.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #30
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 58,958.33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WomanfromOz View Post
Look, you're getting waaay too personal here.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2018, 11:54 PM   #31
Tiny Tot Dancer

DaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond reputeDaisyMaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,874.61
So if Geronimo had daughters who were sent off to England, that would have been late 1800s or so? I would think there would records on the English side - immigration records, that sort of thing? It sounds like one of those odd family stories, but you never know. It also seems possible that someone from America went to England but the family story changed from the the specific person or tribe to "Geronimo" over the years. Which is after all, a recognizable name.

It's recent enough that the DNA should show up on a test.

And now to digress.....OLchemist, your posts are always graceful and kind, even when someone disagrees with you. I can never understand what it is to be a Native person, but you have opened my eyes and heart in a way that they didn't used to be. I feel like I grew up with a very one dimensional view of Indians and their communities. By reading and thinking A LOT, I might be making it into a second dimension. Probably never get to the third, haha.

But your posts make me think more than many other things I have read. I have borrowed some of your wisdom when talking to other non-natives when the subject of Indians comes up. Your "we've survived the end of the world" gets a lot of "ohhhhhh....." and thoughtful looks from people who really think Indians should just "get over it" and join mainstream America.

And you have really good book recommendations. Sorry to digress, but I just had to give you some well deserved kudos!
DaisyMaisy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #32
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 57,842.06
Thank you.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links