Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Bloodline Lost :-( Bloodline Lost :-(

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LeannB has a reputation beyond repute
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,648.74
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
So am I to understand that individuals melted into the woods whilst their families were moved to Oklahoma and that now the decendants of these individuals have reformed back into a tribe/group but dont want Federal Money nor Recognition?
We already HAVE Federal recognition. Just not a BIA number. NOPE, we don't want Fed money. We have seen what Gov't gifts have done for folks. We don't want that for our family.

Quote:
That they no longer have language or culture of the original tribe? So what conection do they have with the original tribe? I mean to say a tribe is made up of Families that are related to one another even in the distant past, where is this past relationship?? If there is no relationship then how can you claim Kinship???
We are trying to get the language, etc. back. And we're doing that. If nothing else, there is a shared gene pool, and that is important to know about, esp. for medical issues that NA have that non-NA have.

Gotta go, we have things to do this morning. If you don't understand what we are trying to do, that's OK. I'm not here to start a fight. Believe me or not, your choice. Like I said, we're not here to split off any gov't largesse from your folks.

Enjoy your spring day. It's too pretty to be in a squabble. I'll check back w/ this thread this afternoon.

ETA.......

Can someone tell me why other Indians feel threatened by us? I guess I'm a bit thick skulled here. We don't want anything of theirs...their land, their benifits, their insurance, nothing. We have bought our own little patch of land, paid it off. Any more land we get, we will do the same. What the gov't has, the gov't will take away.

Last edited by LeannB; 04-29-2012 at 08:59 AM..
LeannB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,910.96
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB View Post
We already HAVE Federal recognition. Just not a BIA number. NOPE, we don't want Fed money. We have seen what Gov't gifts have done for folks. We don't want that for our family.

We are trying to get the language, etc. back. And we're doing that. If nothing else, there is a shared gene pool, and that is important to know about, esp. for medical issues that NA have that non-NA have.

Gotta go, we have things to do this morning. If you don't understand what we are trying to do, that's OK. I'm not here to start a fight. Believe me or not, your choice. Like I said, we're not here to split off any gov't largesse from your folks.

Enjoy your spring day. It's too pretty to be in a squabble. I'll check back w/ this thread this afternoon.

ETA.......

Can someone tell me why other Indians feel threatened by us? I guess I'm a bit thick skulled here. We don't want anything of theirs...their land, their benifits, their insurance, nothing. We have bought our own little patch of land, paid it off. Any more land we get, we will do the same. What the gov't has, the gov't will take away.
I can't speak for everyone as for feeling threatened for I don't, no its more of a curiosity thing for I am familiar with this story just change the tribe from Shawnee to Cherokee we have 250 different remenants of groups claiming to be Cherokee, Many have a similiar story that you posted earlier in this thread: They melted into society and assimilated till years and years later they reformed back into a tribal group, many have gone through hundreds of name changes and have split off from the original group that formed in the 70's 1970's that is. I am just trying to understand how if there is no connection that you can claim to be this tribe. For my definition of a tribe/nation is one that hold common ancestry with the past in language and culture if you have neither and have no kinship with the "original" tribe then how can this be a tribe???
One other point the BIA is a Bureau of the Department of Interior which is a part of the Federal Government they are the only part that grants FEDERAL Recognition that means they recognize the Tribe/Nation as a sovereign nation so... How can you be Federal Recognized and the BIA not Recognize you?? That makes no sense...
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone as for feeling threatened for I don't, no its more of a curiosity thing for I am familiar with this story just change the tribe from Shawnee to Cherokee we have 250 different remenants of groups claiming to be Cherokee, Many have a similiar story that you posted earlier in this thread: They melted into society and assimilated till years and years later they reformed back into a tribal group, many have gone through hundreds of name changes and have split off from the original group that formed in the 70's 1970's that is. I am just trying to understand how if there is no connection that you can claim to be this tribe. For my definition of a tribe/nation is one that hold common ancestry with the past in language and culture if you have neither and have no kinship with the "original" tribe then how can this be a tribe???
One other point the BIA is a Bureau of the Department of Interior which is a part of the Federal Government they are the only part that grants FEDERAL Recognition that means they recognize the Tribe/Nation as a sovereign nation so... How can you be Federal Recognized and the BIA not Recognize you?? That makes no sense...
Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #24
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
I only express my curiosity about this issue that seems to a relative modern issue with remnants of tribes now coming forth and making claims to be a Tribe. Its not just the Shawnee or even Cherokee its hundreds of other "tribes" that have sprung up in the past 30 or 40 years. I am not lumping together and saying that they all want some kind of Federal handout.
For those of us that have lived in this system know very well it aint gonna make you rich nor feed your grumbling belly well.
Its just something that I have noticed about these groups they twist history and some have even started writing there own History books and selling them on Amazon as the "true" History of a tribe.

To be a member of a tribe is fairly simple: Your born that way! You dont have a say about your parents or grandparents those are inherited. You grow up amongst people that share the same heritage language culture. This includes kinship you find that you are a family that is related to other families and these groups of families make up a Tribe/Nation. You can go anywhere in your community and find "relations" or at least know their relations...
So if 150 to 200 years ago a person or even small groups left the main body of the tribe and "assimilated" which means they put aside language and culture and decided to go out on their own that was their choice then... But then somebody 150 years try to reinvent what had been lost so long ago and form back into a tribe. I see thousands and thousands of Fan pages on Facebook regarding this issue all of them yelling to be heard over the other. I have even seen in recent arguments that they are calling Federal Indians as sellouts because their ancestors signed treaties as if thier was a choice

Lets really boil down this down to meatgravy:

History says the elderly Black Hoof fought every effort to make the Shawnee leave Ohio. Despite the defection of 200 who followed the Prophet to Kansas in 1826, most Ohio Shawnee respected his opinion and remained. Pressure mounted after the passage of the Indian Removal Act in 1830. The Seneca of the Sandusky (Mingo) were the first to accept removal in February, 1831 and agreed to relocate to the Indian Territory (Oklahoma) next to the Western Cherokee. The mixed Seneca-Shawnee followed suit in July. After Black Hoof died in August, the 400 Shawnee at Wapaughkonetta and Hog Creek ceded their Ohio lands in exchange for 100,000 acres of the Shawnee Reserve in Kansas. By the time 85 Shawnee volunteered as scouts for the American army against the Florida Seminole in 1837, all of the Shawnee were in eastern Kansas - the only exceptions being the Absentees in Texas and the mixed Shawnee-Seneca band in Oklahoma.

Much like the Cherokee migration
1)Western Cherokees numbering about 4,000 to 10,000 left in the early 1800's up to 1817 they were called Western first then later Old Settler and now make up United Keetoowah Band
2)16,100 Eastern Cherokee were part of the Trail of Tears in 1838 and are now called Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma
3)4,000 or so remained in North Carolina and now make up Eastern Band of Cherokees they were not subject to the removal act of 1830 by staying in North Carolina. They did not need to hide out or "escape" the trail of tears as some have tried to teach...

All of these groups stayed together we can trace going back in time all the family groups we know who left and we know who came back
A common myth is that Indian Territory was Reservations and that you could not come and go as you pleased that is not true. People get too much of there history lessons from Hollywood movies
The Tribes such as Shawnee, Cherokees, Senecas, Creeks, Chickasaws, Choctaws actually were granted this land in Land patents! The Tribe held the land in common you could come and go as you pleased you were subject to tribal law. It was not until the Allotement act of the 1880's and 1890's that an attempt was made to break up this and allot land to the individual.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,522.16
I learn soooo much from you Josiah.
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
Powwow Dude

I am not debating this issue too many threads posts and whatever have been typed before

But I do post History of tribes and you can decide for yourself for those that belong to these groups you do so because you decided to and what I write will not change your mind...

As for Ancestry if you can trace to an ancestor from that time congratulations are in order! You have a unique heritage and no one can take that from you. But to decide that now entitles you to claim or form a new tribe where none were there before well that is something else...
Old 04-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone as for feeling threatened for I don't, no its more of a curiosity thing for I am familiar with this story just change the tribe from Shawnee to Cherokee we have 250 different remenants of groups claiming to be Cherokee, Many have a similiar story that you posted earlier in this thread: They melted into society and assimilated till years and years later they reformed back into a tribal group, many have gone through hundreds of name changes and have split off from the original group that formed in the 70's 1970's that is.
Josiah, suppose you had just heard the story of Noah's flood in your Sunday School, and decided that it wasn't true. COULDN'T be true. Then you hear about all the other cultures in the world, with their flood stories.....

Kinda makes you wonder if the story of Noah might have a ring of truth to it, HUH?

Josiah, you are hearing multiples of folks saying the same thing. They did NOT get all the NDNs out of the countryside. History is written by the victors. It was important to the Victors that the citizens believe that all those "nasty" Indians were GONE. So that is what they told folks. THAT is what is in the history books. Do you REALLY want to believe that EVERYTHING in the history books and Federal records is right, 100% of the time???

Quote:
I am just trying to understand how if there is no connection that you can claim to be this tribe. For my definition of a tribe/nation is one that hold common ancestry with the past in language and culture if you have neither and have no kinship with the "original" tribe then how can this be a tribe???
OK. My MIL was raised by her Grandparents in the Southernmost part of Ohio, Lawrence County, Rome Township. She grew up with a buncha other kids, riding horses thru the hilly countryside overlooking the Ohio River, in a piece of land called "Platform Reservation" and exploring caves ('rock houses") that Indians had used as hiding spots. Her Grandmother told her she was Shawnee, even in a time when being an Indian was considered being "dirty" and "lazy." Grandma and Granpa were neither. MIL grew up playing games that (when she was taken back to the white world at age 12) none of her white friends knew. MIL later found out that these were Shawnee games. Her Mom refused to be known as "Indian," until right before she died. But you can deny your genetics all you want....but they are still part of your makeup. There have been MANY medical conditions in the family that were MUCH better understood and overcome, when that genetic code was taken into account.

Suppose you had been taken away from YOUR parents ar a very early age, and raised as a Mexican, or in Afghanistan, or anywhere else in the world, away from the Shawnee land and culture. You know NONE of the language. None of the culture.

So, THAT makes you less than an Indian? That means you are NO LONGER Indian? You parents will ignore you when they find out, reject you as no longer family, because you no longer speak the language, worship the Creator like they do?

THIS is what the US gov't tried to do with the mission schools. take the young ones, grow them up in an alien culture and religion, split them up from their families and deliver them ten years or more later as practically strangers to their family. They were ripping them from their roots.

If we do not have the "proper" upbringing, and politely come to you (who are the "real" Indians, according to gov't paperwork) and ask you to teach us....

And YOU refuse....

Then who is at fault?

Quote:
HMMM...I think you are wrong, there. The Army and the IRS and several other govenrmental agencies list my Hubby as Native American. He's got the paperwork to show THAT. He has been employed by several branches of the US gov't and they ALL recognize him as being Native American. And that is without the BIA being involved.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB View Post
Josiah, suppose you had just heard the story of Noah's flood in your Sunday School, and decided that it wasn't true. COULDN'T be true. Then you hear about all the other cultures in the world, with their flood stories.....

Kinda makes you wonder if the story of Noah might have a ring of truth to it, HUH?

Josiah, you are hearing multiples of folks saying the same thing. They did NOT get all the NDNs out of the countryside. History is written by the victors. It was important to the Victors that the citizens believe that all those "nasty" Indians were GONE. So that is what they told folks. THAT is what is in the history books. Do you REALLY want to believe that EVERYTHING in the history books and Federal records is right, 100% of the time???

OK. My MIL was raised by her Grandparents in the Southernmost part of Ohio, Lawrence County, Rome Township. She grew up with a buncha other kids, riding horses thru the hilly countryside overlooking the Ohio River, in a piece of land called "Platform Reservation" and exploring caves ('rock houses") that Indians had used as hiding spots. Her Grandmother told her she was Shawnee, even in a time when being an Indian was considered being "dirty" and "lazy." Grandma and Granpa were neither. MIL grew up playing games that (when she was taken back to the white world at age 12) none of her white friends knew. MIL later found out that these were Shawnee games. Her Mom refused to be known as "Indian," until right before she died. But you can deny your genetics all you want....but they are still part of your makeup. There have been MANY medical conditions in the family that were MUCH better understood and overcome, when that genetic code was taken into account.

Suppose you had been taken away from YOUR parents ar a very early age, and raised as a Mexican, or in Afghanistan, or anywhere else in the world, away from the Shawnee land and culture. You know NONE of the language. None of the culture.

So, THAT makes you less than an Indian? That means you are NO LONGER Indian? You parents will ignore you when they find out, reject you as no longer family, because you no longer speak the language, worship the Creator like they do?

THIS is what the US gov't tried to do with the mission schools. take the young ones, grow them up in an alien culture and religion, split them up from their families and deliver them ten years or more later as practically strangers to their family. They were ripping them from their roots.

If we do not have the "proper" upbringing, and politely come to you (who are the "real" Indians, according to gov't paperwork) and ask you to teach us....

And YOU refuse....

Then who is at fault?

HMMM...I think you are wrong, there. The Army and the IRS and several other govenrmental agencies list my Hubby as Native American. He's got the paperwork to show THAT. He has been employed by several branches of the US gov't and they ALL recognize him as being Native American. And that is without the BIA being involved.
Sigh...

So what you are saying is...
All History books are wrong
If they do not include your viewpoint?
Isn't it a bit strange in all the years between 1830 to 1970 generation upon generation past and in all that time no hint, no whispers of Hidden Indians in Missouri Ohio Arkansas Tennessee? The best kept secret I must say. Or is it because the BIA in 1970 decided to recognize tribes for the first time since the 1800's?? Hmmm was this pure chance???

Anyone can list themself as Native don't mean they are Native
The Army the IRS the Census that is voluntary information...
ONLY your TRIBE can Determine you as belonging to that TRIBE
IF that Tribe is Federally Recognized you can now recieve Benefits from IHS and BIA otherwise ur are only claiming it as an Heritage it has no Legal bearing whatsoever...
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,522.16
I do not understand something here. Please forgive my ignorance but I must ask this question!

If I take myself back to an earlier yr and try to imagine the government and it's armies coming onto the community I live in, and begin to round up my own relatives~ I don't think "run away from my family" would be the natural response.If my family is about to be taken somewhere, I think I would stick like glue to my loved ones to avoid being separated. I may not know native history but I know people.

are my own instincts bent here?
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
I do not understand something here. Please forgive my ignorance but I must ask this question!

If I take myself back to an earlier yr and try to imagine the government and it's armies coming onto the community I live in, and begin to round up my own relatives~ I don't think "run away from my family" would be the natural response.If my family is about to be taken somewhere, I think I would stick like glue to my loved ones to avoid being separated. I may not know native history but I know people.

Let me paint a picture... The 1830 removal act for instance, Ok when it was enacted it was not fully enforced for another 8 to 10 years!! Partly because of communication gaps and Transportation but when a Tribe finally decided to heed they would move in stages, For the most part those that did decide to stay behind or go there own way were mixbloods and would have family that they go stay with. The Cherokees were an extreme example of Removal because Georgians were frothing at the mouth to get to those farms that we had to leave behind.
But yes it is hard to concieve that a person would leave there family to go hideout from who?? Soldiers were few the Standing army in 1830 numbered only 17,000 to cover the United States From the Mississippi River to the Eastern Seaboard... Indian Territory did not have walls the tribes that took up residence there since 1817 and 1828 were Sovereign Nations having there own Courts Police and Government. If a White person wanted to reside within the Boundries of that Nation they had to go to that Tribal Government not the Federal Government. We had our own Schools Jails all aspects of society does this strike you as a Barbwire surrounded reservation???
Hollywood History is not History Yes Plains tribes later on were put on Reservations and yes the army kept them there...
But we are not talking about them we are talking about INDIAN TERRITORY that is a farrrr different thing...
BTW this also included Shawnee.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #31
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post

NOPE. They aren't bent.

But not everyone agreed on what was best to do. Families split up. Those that had livestock and a bit of farmland and maybe a cabin were being asked to give all that up to go to a strange place. And the gov't didn't have that good of a track record on keeping their promises to supply the things that the NDNs would need when they got to whereever-it-was that the soldiers were taking them.

So many thought that it was the best for THEIR immediate family to stay put and face the future in the land they knew. NDN history is rife with families making decisions to split up and go their separate ways.

I do not know WHY they chose the way they did; their choice required that they keep the whole thing very quiet. And I suspect the pain of their choice led to alot of "don't-wanna-talk
-about-it," too.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #32
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
Quote:
Sigh...

So what you are saying is...
All History books are wrong
If they do not include your viewpoint?
So you are saying that all history books are right if they only have YOUR view point? That can go two ways.

So history textbooks are your measure of truth? That they ALWAYS are right? That Museums are ALWAYS right? That there is NEVER an aspect of history that they have EVER gotten wrong?

I am saying that the textbooks are WRONG here. And that history is written to the advantage of the victors. And if there a a great many folk that say they have this in their family history, then maybe, just MAYBE.....there is some truth in it.

Quote:
Isn't it a bit strange in all the years between 1830 to 1970 generation upon generation past and in all that time no hint, no whispers of Hidden Indians in Missouri Ohio Arkansas Tennessee? The best kept secret I must say.
The history is there. Been spoken of....but you weren't there to hear it. Or chose NOT to hear it.

Quote:
Or is it because the BIA in 1970 decided to recognize tribes for the first time since the 1800's?? Hmmm was this pure chance???
Or maybe...the BIA saw there was some truth in some of the stories and decided to do the right thing.

And if, as you believe, the BIA is the final arbiter of all things declared to be NDN....then why are YOU saying that they made the wrong decision in 1970? That is....if having a BIA number is the Holy Grail of proof of "Indian-ness."

I didn't know about the 1970 decision. Doesn't make any difference to me. We don't need the BIA number to prove that we are Indian. We were offered the number and PASSED IT UP. They can keep it.

Quote:
Anyone can list themself as Native don't mean they are Native
The Army the IRS the Census that is voluntary information...
ONLY your TRIBE can Determine you as belonging to that TRIBE
That is truth.

Quote:
IF that Tribe is Federally Recognized you can now recieve Benefits from IHS and BIA otherwise ur are only claiming it as an Heritage it has no Legal bearing whatsoever...
So we only have legal bearing if we are getting the bennies?

So---that would make only welfare recipients worthy of legal standing? Maybe I caught this wrong?

Our legal rights are given to us by our Creator. NOT by the gov't.

And like I said...we are not asking for anything that would eat away at the benifits that your tribe recieves. NO piece of the pie is being taken away from you.

Last edited by LeannB; 04-29-2012 at 05:27 PM..
LeannB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
Powwow Dude

I have posted this before you will believe what you want to believe

History is not written by one source that is for sure

One other point

You must update your knowledge of Federal Tribes
We took back the Schools and Hospitals
I mentioned that my wife works for the Absentee Shawnee but never mentioned where she works, she works for the medical part and Monday April 30th 2012 they are opening the 90,000 square feet Clinic in Little Axe Oklahoma.
It was built from funds that the tribe gathered through its many enterprises not one drop of fed money
It is open to all patients with insurance and Tribal members
My own tribe took over the Indian Hospital in Tahlequah and Claremore that have been run by IHS since the 1950's
We also took back our schools that we built in the 1800's
That is what a Federal Tribe is today
Not the Hollywood one
You should really go out and visit say here in Oklahoma
LOL
Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
Quote:
I have posted this before you will believe what you want to believe

History is not written by one source that is for sure

One other point

You must update your knowledge of Federal Tribes
We took back the Schools and Hospitals
I mentioned that my wife works for the Absentee Shawnee but never mentioned where she works, she works for the medical part and Monday April 30th 2012 they are opening the 90,000 square feet Clinic in Little Axe Oklahoma.
It was built from funds that the tribe gathered through its many enterprises not one drop of fed money
It is open to all patients with insurance and Tribal members
My own tribe took over the Indian Hospital in Tahlequah and Claremore that have been run by IHS since the 1950's
We also took back our schools that we built in the 1800's
That is what a Federal Tribe is today
Not the Hollywood one
You should really go out and visit say here in Oklahoma
LOL
EXCELLENT!!!!! I am glad to hear this! And I am VERY proud of you all! That is wonderful news.

Nope, not had much dealings with Oklahoma folks. They don't like us. Some have been downright hostile.

So we stay pretty much close to home.

But we wish you well!!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #35
NuadaNudo

NuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond reputeNuadaNudo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 545.32
Genealogy and DNA testing

I have my genealogy back to the 1600's. I know who I am and what people I belong to. I do not need to have DNA testing. I am who I am. No I do not belong to a federally recognized one. I do not need that either. My Husband is a Pathfinder and a fullblood. I too am a Pathfinder. Neither of us need any proof of who we are. Others can say what they may. It does not matter. We walk the Red Path with our Creater to the best of our ability. AHO
NuadaNudo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
Junior Dancer

delila77 has a reputation beyond repute
delila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,649.68
well

i'm living in ohio and there are no recognized reservations here.best bet is to do yar research. ask family. most likely yar family could have been in another location then moved to ohio. ohio we have mound builders and at one time we may have had few tribes here prior to reservations. after that it was swamp (black swamps) and farms here. plz don't claim to be from a tribe do yar research first.

im osage, i never had to do research because it was always told to me that im osage, and raised osage. my folks were never from ohio we just got stuck here, we just misplaced ndn's who love our coffee. yes i come from a long line of coffeeaholics lmao jk and we always made it vacations and weekend trips out to oklahoma to see my mas side of the family.

i never took a DNA testing. DNA is only used for paternity tests and crime scenes not to determine what you are. so why would you want a DNA testing? if yar family been here for long time then most likely someone is bound to know or to talk about which tribe you from.

what i would do if i were you is this. do your own geneaology research. which will cost money so best bet register on ancestry.com sometimes look at family bibles.family bibles will give a family tree in it. or look for needlework. long time ago ppl used to needlepoint their family tree. ancestry.com has access to birth records, death records. the only thing is it can only go so far back. there was a time where records werent kept. especially for women. look in death records and trace back. also churches will have records too.

when you get yar family name thats native then look in dawes roll and whoever had native blood determine where they were born and where they died and then look up to see what reservations are in the area. yar family if registered should have grave plots and land.

i wouldnt go get recognized, once you do yar research go visit yar family and get to know them. learn from them and participate in yar community. yar not living on the rez and if no one knows who ya are and you go for recognization ppl will look it as if yar sponging off yar tribe.
delila77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #37
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuadaNudo View Post
I have my genealogy back to the 1600's. I know who I am and what people I belong to. I do not need to have DNA testing. I am who I am. No I do not belong to a federally recognized one. I do not need that either. My Husband is a Pathfinder and a fullblood. I too am a Pathfinder. Neither of us need any proof of who we are. Others can say what they may. It does not matter. We walk the Red Path with our Creater to the best of our ability. AHO
Pathfinder? Can we get anymore Hollywood than that.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #38
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,604.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by delila77 View Post
i never took a DNA testing. DNA is only used for paternity tests and crime scenes not to determine what you are. so why would you want a DNA testing? if yar family been here for long time then most likely someone is bound to know or to talk about which tribe you from.
They can tell a lot about a person including where they came from, not exactly pin point, from DNA... For instance a DNA test could say "This person has the markers of someone who has Native American, African, Asian, or European ancestry. Sometimes they can point down to a general region of where that person's ancestors came from. Like they could say that someone's DNA points to being Asian and with additional markers it points they are most likely from the Korean peninsula or thereabouts.

Toolbox is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #39
Pow Wow Visitor

freespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond reputefreespiritofva has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 701.23
I know in my case most the tribe disapear years ago their small pocket that form in other places years later. melting ( blending into the mountains and keep moving to stay ahead and out the hands of the feds. part my family is Saponi, those that stay with the tribe move up and down the east coast, some settling in canada, michigan, ohio, pa , new york,new jersy, va, north carolina. but these are small pockets that were usually adopted by other tribes.
freespiritofva is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #40
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritofva View Post
I know in my case most the tribe disapear years ago their small pocket that form in other places years later. melting ( blending into the mountains and keep moving to stay ahead and out the hands of the feds. part my family is Saponi, those that stay with the tribe move up and down the east coast, some settling in canada, michigan, ohio, pa , new york,new jersy, va, north carolina. but these are small pockets that were usually adopted by other tribes.
Josiah will be along momentarily to disavow you of these myths.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links