Like Tree42Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy DNA Tests DNA Tests

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2017, 03:44 AM   #21
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,373.83
Savings: 0.00
Ya know, with all the discussion about these DNA tests, I've never heard that they have figured out to test about personality.

When I was a kid, I was talking to my mom about this family (in our tribe) & how it seemed like everyone in this family was mean. I was giving her examples of how they acted/what they had done.

She told me, "It's in their blood." She said that it's one of our old beliefs that personalities & character traits, just like physical traits like hair & eye color, that that is passed down through the blood. So then we talked about this other family where all the girls are really sweet & lovely. It was just their nature.

I think everybody can still choose how they want to behave & act/react in any situation, but I think what's in someone's blood plays a part too.
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Yes, I think so too! I know two sisters who have never met, but have the same father. I met the older one first, when she was a teenager and grew into a young woman, and the other was just a young girl. The older one was very bubbly, had a distictive bubbly laugh and was kinda ditzy/spacey/happy go lucky.

I went to go visit the mother of the younger girl and heard the exact same laugh coming from the younger girl. She not only grew up to resemble her older half sister, but had the same bubbly/ditzy personality. At the time, I didn't even know they were related, but after inquiring, I found out the relationship.

BTW: I sent in my saliva sample to Ancestry DNA, but it's a long wait for the results 6-10 weeks.
windanncer likes this.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #23
Pow Wow Visitor

Cherokee Veteran is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 339.16
My expierence

I am officially 5/32 Cherokee. I have my Great Uncles DNA and officially he is 5/8 Cherokee. I have noticed that ancestry picks up Asian traces with Native American blood. This makes sense since we crossed Bering Strait a long time ago.

It makes sense that Mexicans have Indian genes, since the Spainards integrated with the local tribes.

As for the accuracy of ancestry I think it is accurate. As I mentioned earlier I am 5/32 Cherokee blood which is 15.62%. Ancestry shows me at 13%, with a range of 11%-15%. Then there is a Asia South match of less than 1% and a range of 0%-2%. Which probably residual from the ancient days. This matches my calculated 5/32.

My Great Uncle is 5/8 Cherokee or 62.5%. Ancestry shows 52%, with a range of 49%-55%. Then he has Asia Central 4%, with a range of 0%-9%. There is also Asia East 2%, range of 0%-4%. This matches his 5/8.

I'd say ancestry is accurate.
Cherokee Veteran is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #24
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 37,423.92
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Veteran View Post
I am officially 5/32 Cherokee. I have my Great Uncles DNA and officially he is 5/8 Cherokee. I have noticed that ancestry picks up Asian traces with Native American blood. This makes sense since we crossed Bering Strait a long time ago.

It makes sense that Mexicans have Indian genes, since the Spainards integrated with the local tribes.

As for the accuracy of ancestry I think it is accurate. As I mentioned earlier I am 5/32 Cherokee blood which is 15.62%. Ancestry shows me at 13%, with a range of 11%-15%. Then there is a Asia South match of less than 1% and a range of 0%-2%. Which probably residual from the ancient days. This matches my calculated 5/32.

My Great Uncle is 5/8 Cherokee or 62.5%. Ancestry shows 52%, with a range of 49%-55%. Then he has Asia Central 4%, with a range of 0%-9%. There is also Asia East 2%, range of 0%-4%. This matches his 5/8.

The report u received from Ancestor.com actually says your Cherokee? Or you self identify as Cherokee? For I bet you could not take that paperwork and actually register with a Federal Tribe. My next question is if your great uncle is 5/8th wouldn’t that also make your Grandfather or Grandmother the same??
My entire point with these blind tests is they are not useful to prove anything other than you posses hapalo group markers that may indicate you belong to one of 5 groups that has been identified as Native American but not what member of the 566 tribes in the United States! They do not prove that you are the descendant
Old 01-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #25
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 114,896.76
Savings: 1.00
Quote:

When did theory become fact? Explain the Bering Strait Fact.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

ChildrenFromTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,874.24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
The report u received from Ancestor.com actually says your Cherokee? Or you self identify as Cherokee? For I bet you could not take that paperwork and actually register with a Federal Tribe. My next question is if your great uncle is 5/8th wouldn’t that also make your Grandfather or Grandmother the same??
My entire point with these blind tests is they are not useful to prove anything other than you posses hapalo group markers that may indicate you belong to one of 5 groups that has been identified as Native American but not what member of the 566 tribes in the United States! They do not prove that you are the descendant
Indeed, these DNA tests cannot trace your ancestry down to a cultural level. Hell, I'd argue that this is impossible, since culture is just a social construct that doesn't involve biological aspects and requirements.

There was this one DNA test that claims it can trace down the specific Native American culture(s) you descend from somehow. I used to feel thrilled and accepted the idea that this DNA test could pinpoint your cultural ancestry, but now I'm skeptical.

So the usual ancestry DNA test, such as AncestryDNA and 23andme are only useful for determining racial ancestry as there are some biological aspects involved in race; DNA is a biological aspect. Not to mention race is a largely broader classification for humans than ethnicity/culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
To be fair, while the BST isn't 100% fact, it's still supported by plenty of evidence that scholars claim it's the most likely origins of the first human presence (and the first "Native Americans") in the Americas.

So what do you think of the theory? Do you find it unlikely and consider another theory on how humans appeared in the Americas?
ChildrenFromTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #27
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 59,483.64
Beware of too literally interpreting the percentages of given halotypes.

During meiotic prophase I, crossover between homologous chromosomes occurs. One sister chromatid may get a section of DNA from the homolog; the other not. When meiosis II occurs, one gamete will get the DNA with the exchanged segment, one gamete will get the DNA with the original segment. On average you get 50% of each parent's DNA sequences. However you may only get 10% of the "native" halotype sequences that your parent had.

I thought the waterbug brought up mud and the buzzard carved it into the hills and valleys at the center of the earth for you Cherokee guys.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #28
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Good question. Test shows only Native American. I know Cherokee because I am a citizen of the Cherokee Nation.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #29
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
The migration is pretty well documented and accepted among the scientific community. I don’t know what else to tell you.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #30
Tiny Tot Dancer

ChildrenFromTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,874.24
Quote:
The migration is pretty well documented and accepted among the scientific community. I don’t know what else to tell you.
I find his issue is not necessarily that the BST is lacking in evidence and substance. It seems he's more concerned with his idea that the BST isn't 100% objective, which is true.

This doesn't mean that the BST isn't well documented and accepted. However, there are definitely some issues within and alternative anthropological theories to the BST.

Have you heard of the theory regarding migrations from the Oceania to South America?
ChildrenFromTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenFromTheSun View Post
I find his issue is not necessarily that the BST is lacking in evidence and substance. It seems he's more concerned with his idea that the BST isn't 100% objective, which is true.

This doesn't mean that the BST isn't well documented and accepted. However, there are definitely some issues within and alternative anthropological theories to the BST.

Have you heard of the theory regarding migrations from the Oceania to South America?
Are you referring to who populated places like Easter Island? If so, then yes.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

WomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these parts
Credits: 1,195.29

Last edited by WomanfromOz; 09-23-2018 at 11:36 PM..
WomanfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #33
Tiny Tot Dancer

WomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Very true. Most Oceania tested show small amounts of Indigenous Amazonian. Where most Indigenous Amazonian show small amounts of Oceania.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #34
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleclanriverband View Post
Ya know, with all the discussion about these DNA tests, I've never heard that they have figured out to test about personality.

When I was a kid, I was talking to my mom about this family (in our tribe) & how it seemed like everyone in this family was mean. I was giving her examples of how they acted/what they had done.

She told me, "It's in their blood." She said that it's one of our old beliefs that personalities & character traits, just like physical traits like hair & eye color, that that is passed down through the blood. So then we talked about this other family where all the girls are really sweet & lovely. It was just their nature.

I think everybody can still choose how they want to behave & act/react in any situation, but I think what's in someone's blood plays a part too.
You are right. Some of it is environmental and depends on upbringing but they have also identified genes that will determine someone's core personality. They can predict anxiety, temperament etc. it is definitely "In their blood" but that can be both genetically speaking and because their familial temperament/personality can be absorbed environmentally.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #35
Pow Wow Visitor

Lone Dove is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 416.24
A few of my friends are amateur genealogists and they encouraged me to start building a family tree as a hobby and confirming through dna testing so I recently did a 23 and Me dna test earlier this month (they're having holiday sales!) and they labeled part of my results under their "East Asian & Native American" combined category. I also did an Ancestry last month because it was on sale as well and they labeled part of my results under the "Native American - North, Central, South" category. I think they're both good dna tests, but Ancestry's results were more accurate because they have a larger sample population than 23 and me plus if you opt-in they have dna matching with relatives. I think they can be helpful if you're using them for things like building family trees as a hobby.

Last edited by Lone Dove; 11-15-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Lone Dove is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #36
Old Dancer

ches is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,669.36
Sibling position

Quote:
Originally Posted by WomanfromOz View Post
You are right. Some of it is environmental and depends on upbringing but they have also identified genes that will determine someone's core personality. They can predict anxiety, temperament etc. it is definitely "In their blood" but that can be both genetically speaking and because their familial temperament/personality can be absorbed environmentally.
This is under environment too, but position inline of birth of siblings seems to influence personality. They used to write books about the “middle child”.
ches is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links