Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Josiah
  • 1 Post By Josiah
  • 2 Post By Josiah

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Family Research Family Research

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 33,979.98
Savings: 1.00
Family Research

So during my research I have come across a series of stories that seem to have sprung up in the past 30 or 40 years. This is the idea of "Lost Cherokees". They are a variation of stories that have a common theme and that is: My ancestor separated from the main body of the tribe, and either became "lost", or "escaped" from the Trail of Tears. Using this story a person could come to terms why a certain ancestor did not seem to be a part of the main party of the tribe.
Unfortunately these kinds of stories are typically formulated rather recently, I draw this conclusion from reading thousands of documents of those that sought Compensation from the US Government in 1910 for the Trail of Tears that was paid to every person that walked the Trial or their descendants. The documents are in the National Archives and have been made available in the past decade on line courtesy of the LDS thru a website called www.Fold3.com.

Research of this type was damn difficult prior to this for a person that wanted to view these kinds of documents. Had to make there way to Ft Worth to one of the many regional archives of the National Archives that housed the Microfilm of the Miller Guion Roll of 1910.
No longer, now in the comfort of your home you can read thousands of pages of applications and testimony of those that sought compensation.
Thousand upon Thousands applied something like 200,000 or so and in the end approx. 40,000 were included in the payout.
Who were the ones that were paid? Cherokees that's who, those that lived in Oklahoma and North Carolina and as far away as Poland!
The rejected files are along side those that were accepted in numerical order first come first served. The commission took all applications and spent several years in some cases to finally reject when all evidence was exhausted of any tie to the Cherokee tribe. In all of the pages of testimony that I have personal read have I ever ran across the words: Lost, escaped, runaway or any such.
The interesting thing about this roll is the very fact it shoots down another myth/story: The reason my ancestor was not on the "DAWES Roll" was because they: Hid out or escaped from the Cherokee Reservation or refused to sign up ect ect ect.

My Great Grandfather was born in 1880 and at the time of the Dawes Roll he was 20 years old and married with 3 kids. He REFUSED to enroll his family because he was a Nighthawk, The reason I know this is because his Mother in Law testified that he was a Night Hawk and that he would not enroll! So they enrolled him based on his Mother-in-Law Testimony.
But a few years later when the Miller Roll was commissioned he came in person and applied for himself and all his children!!

My Point?
A Cherokee is a Cherokee because they are recognized by there own tribe as such. He was enrolled by the Dawes Commission because they knew that he was recognized by the Cherokee Nation as a citizen! How did they know? Because they had the Rolls of the Cherokee Nation with them at the time of taking application and testimony. They merely had to determine if he was still living, and still resided with the tribe!
This distinction is very important, for there is documented cases where Cherokees were rejected from the Dawes Rolls because they no longer lived with the Tribe!!
BUT... They were enrolled with the Miller Commission because they could prove they were descendants or they could prove ties through family members that still resided with the tribe!!

People don't just get up one day and say hey I think I will live over that way and no trace of them or kinfolk is to ever be found again. For people always leave family of some sort: a cousin, an auntie somebody will remember them.
But if you never had a tie to the tribe or that tie was so long ago that all those would remember are dead and gone like from the 1700's for instance then are you truly still Ndn? Or is it just a family story something told around the dinner table for the amusement of the kiddies...

We have our own stories from my white side and that is a long time ago we were Knights of the Round Table but I can't prove it>
no really

Last edited by Josiah; 03-23-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 81,694.63
Five dollar indians

Sir Josiah of the Rolls

And still the enrollment office requires DNA testing for markers, to rule out Adoption, or A Family Myth Passed Down, good practice.

Some African-Americans call the "light-skinned" Cherokees FIVE DOLLAR INDIANS.

In old days the Negros were stuck with the One Drop Rule, even if they had a Native mom or dad, they were counted as Negro, or Mulatto.

So, they missed the rolls and now the look at those mostly white Cherokee as cheaters, that their ancestors paid bribes to get onto the rolls.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
Sir Josiah of the Rolls

And still the enrollment office requires DNA testing for markers, to rule out Adoption, or A Family Myth Passed Down, good practice.

Some African-Americans call the "light-skinned" Cherokees FIVE DOLLAR INDIANS.

In old days the Negros were stuck with the One Drop Rule, even if they had a Native mom or dad, they were counted as Negro, or Mulatto.

So, they missed the rolls and now the look at those mostly white Cherokee as cheaters, that their ancestors paid bribes to get onto the rolls.
1)Any DNA testing would be to establish Parents of said child,
Far different type of testing than is offered thru a kit or what I call blind testing what is offered by Ancestor.com.

2)The Treaty of 1866 establishes rights for the Freedman, which are still in effect to this day regardless of court cases winding there way through the court systems. But these rights were only established for those in Indian Territory not Eastern Lands.

3)In 1979 the Cherokee Nation took over the registration office from the BIA and have worked to fix those issues that occurred with the Dawes Roll which again only effect Cherokees in OKLAHOMA.

4) Eastern Cherokees were never effected by the Dawes Commission and have there own rolls, the Baker roll of 1924 is there base roll and I am told has just as many problems if not more than the Dawes Rolls for the Cherokee Nation.
windanncer likes this.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,162.31
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
1)Any DNA testing would be to establish Parents of said child,
Far different type of testing than is offered thru a kit or what I call blind testing what is offered by Ancestor.com.
I'm just curious & want to understand....so DNA testing is required for enrollment in the Cherokee Nation in order to prove that a child is the biological offspring of an enrolled parent?
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleclanriverband View Post
I'm just curious & want to understand....so DNA testing is required for enrollment in the Cherokee Nation in order to prove that a child is the biological offspring of an enrolled parent?
Normal enrollment is thru documents of birth certificates and filling out other forms of paperwork.

DNA testing is used when there is a question of paternity or maternity of the child, such as the child was adopted or the parents were not originally listed on the birth certificate.

99% of the time enrollment is thru documents...

This is from each tribes enrollment page regarding DNA:

Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians:
The Tribal Enrollment Office must receive certified DNA testing results establishing the paternity and/or maternity of the applicant from a lab acceptable to the Tribal Enrollment Committee. If applicant has been DNA tested as a result of a Child Support case or a Court Order please contact the Tribal Enrollment Office. Testing results from those organizations may be acceptable.

Cherokee Nation:
To be eligible for Cherokee Nation citizenship, individuals must provide documents connecting them to an enrolled direct ancestor who is listed on the Dawes Roll with a blood degree. CDIB/Tribal Citizenship is traced through natural parents. In cases of adoption, CDIB/Citizenship must be proven through a biological parent to an ancestor registered on the Dawes Roll.

United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indian:
1. Letter of Relinquishment from any other Indian nation, tribe or band of which you have been a member or a notarized Affadavit of Non-Membership (provided by the Enrollment Office); and

2. A certified copy of your 8.5 x 11" Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood showing at least 1/4 degree Keetoowah Cherokee blood.

Please note:

Section 18 Reinstatement of Membership:

Once a member of the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians in Oklahoma relinquishes his or her membership with the Band, as an adult, he/she shall not be eligible for reinstatement as a member of the UKB.

Last edited by Josiah; 03-28-2017 at 07:28 PM..
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links