Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree236Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join? Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
Some donkus

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Niigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,076.49
Savings: 0.00
Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join?

Hi all. I am new. I will spare you the entire sob story, but I have to give a little of it in order for it to make sense, but the bottom line is that everyone on my dad's side of the family was extremely racist, white supremacist almost, back to one who was resentful of his father who was full-blooded native and supposedly left the mom... I am theorizing that the racism was passed down from there. Some dispute as to whether this was the great grandfather or great-great grandfather. I don't know the tribe or even the race itself. It has been kept from me like something to be ashamed of. My older brother says the name "Laughing Crow" or "Laughingcrow" is significant, but not sure whether it is a surname or an entire name. That part of the family came from South Dakota and southern Minnesota... Very hard to pinpoint because everything is so hush-hush. My dad has passed away and can't answer anymore questions, not that he would anyway. I am still real young and I want to learn about my culture but I don't know how. Every fiber of my being wants to take part, I am restless over it, but I don't even know where to start. I have a grandfather who is still living and I have been going to him and trying to learn, but he is terribly alcoholic and he doesn't even have any interest. He is not enrolled in any tribe but associates somewhat with the Ojibwe in Minnesota where we live. He used to affectionately call me "Little Otter" and told me the word for it in Ojibwe is "Nigig". I initially assumed that we were Ojibwe just because that is mostly what people are here, but didn't really think that through very well since my dad's family actually moved north to be here. I am facing a lot of opposition from everyone I try to talk to here because I am fair-skinned with blue eyes and it hurts my feelings and makes me afraid to look for help. They are rejecting me because I look different from them and I think that is really mean. I am pretty desperate now, getting real depressed over it all. I don't want any financial benefits, I don't want anything but the knowledge, I want to learn the language and the cultural practices, I want to learn to smudge and sweat properly, I just want to belong. I don't even know what people I belong to and all I have to go on is a very large area in the midwest and the name "Laughing Crow". I don't know what to do.
polishjoy likes this.
Niigig is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,242.05
death and birth certificates

if your father didn't answer the questions maybe the paperwork can...start with your grandparents

but if it don't.....than its likely its just family lore

why so many stories of people being ashamed of their ndn heritage? I have a feeling you are gonna be disappointed and it will end up being family lore
Old 04-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,231.08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niigig View Post
Hi all. I am new.
Welcome to powwows.com.

You gave us a little context for your story. Please allow me to give you a little context from my personal experiences.

I'm an old lady, by the your standards anyway:) I can no longer count the number of people, who upon learning I'm Native, feel they must tell me they're part Indian too. This assertion is almost always followed by what you aptly described as a sob story. There are times I feel like I'm the only fair-skinned, mixed-blood who's Native relatives survived the wedding night, LOL.

An inevitable component of these tales is shame. I remember being a child and listening to one young woman tell my mother her tale of woe. (In my book, it took a load of chutzpah to whine to the one handed woman from the rez border town, who had picked apples, worked on a haying crew, taught in an honest to goodness leper colony, and slopped hogs to pay for her college education.) When I asked my mother why that woman's family was ashamed of their relatives, mom snorted and told me it was a sad person who garnered shame or pride from things they couldn't control and didn't earn. (Yes, mom did use words like "garnered" with a six year-old.) Your blood is neither grounds for shame nor pride. What you do for your people is another matter.

Quote:
I am facing a lot of opposition from everyone I try to talk to here because I am fair-skinned with blue eyes and it hurts my feelings and makes me afraid to look for help. They are rejecting me because I look different from them and I think that is really mean.
First, be very clear. I'm not saying you're doing any or all of these things. Remember, we're talking context here.

It is far more complex than just plain: "we don't want no palefaces here." Every Native person has had at least one person approach them and assert their claim to a Native heritage. Usually they don't even know what tribe: "grandma was Cherokee, or Crow, or Cheyenne, or Cayuse... It was one of those C-tribes." Many spin fantastical and ahistoric stories of high checkbones, raven hair and multigenerational isolation in deep woods hollows (still haven't figured out how they bred all alone up there). But, they all want the golden ticket.

When we try to reclaim our past from their wild distortions, they tell us we don't know our own history. When we don't grant immediate inclusion in cultural activities in which we invested decades of hard work and learning to earn our place, they call us disgraces to our ancestors. After getting burned a few times, you become defensive.

Finally, if it is as simple as phenotype based basis, welcome to experience of your full-blood cousins. Walking around the dominant culture with a dark skin, leaves marks on the hardiest of souls. I've seen the corrosive action of even unconscious and institutional basis in my own family. So, you can choose to take the experience and learn compassion -- and I can tell you as a bi-cultural person forgiveness, understanding and humility are your best friends -- or you can resent the full-bloods for their experiences and responses.

Quote:
I don't want any financial benefits, I don't want anything but the knowledge, I want to learn the language and the cultural practices, I want to learn to smudge and sweat properly, I just want to belong.
Native identity is a two fold thing: cultural and political. Tribal membership is admission to the political life of the tribe. Each tribe provides services for its members, just like federal, state and local government do for their citizens. Each tribe has the right to determine its membership criterion. This is a fundamental act of any sovereign entity -- just like the US or Canada defines the boundaries their citizenship. You can disagree with your tribe's rules; you can hate blood-quanta. But, you aren't free to ignore the implications of attacks on tribal membership requirements.

A card does not make you an Indian. Kinship, language, religion, art, food, literature, even table manners make you Indian. These are earned and cultivated. Within indigenous communities, these are often desperately endangered and in need of special protection.

Finally, there is no golden ticket. Be very clear about what you as a thin-blooded, mixed blood are taking up. You are claiming: The keen loss of language. A history that is tragic beyond words, in which you carry the DNA of victim and oppressor. Two worlds worth of relatives. Communities that are very often in dire straits. As mixed blood, you must accept there will always be parts of the Native experience that are forever out of your reach. Your place is on the bleachers, in the kitchen, with the broom, standing behind your family. Coming from the dominant culture, you must learn to place the integrity of the Native community first and let them determine when and how far you step in.

If you're willing to bite your tongue and do the heavy lifting, as with any other family, you'll receive pain and joy.

Last edited by OLChemist; 04-26-2016 at 10:08 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Some donkus

Niigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond repute
Fortunately for me, I know it isn't family lore, it is pretty well-known in our family and close friends. It has even been acknowledged by other natives, but I feel like the reason they don't want me participating has to do in part with my family's rather loud racism. While I don't have paperwork personally, I know that my grandfather's birth certificate listed his race as being native (no specific tribe) and he was always upset about it because he wanted to be listed as being caucasian even though he doesn't look caucasian at all. He could very well pass for being full-blooded. All 3 of my other grandparents had blond hair and blue eyes, so that is what their grandkids look like too unfortunately. This isn't some weird whimsical wivestale that only comes to mind whenever someone hears about a pow wow. Whether or not I am native was never a question I had. I know I am, I just want others to recognize it and respect it and just let me learn about my culture.
faedra and polishjoy like this.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Fortunately for me, I know it isn't family lore, it is pretty well-known in our family and close friends. It has even been acknowledged by other natives, but I feel like the reason they don't want me participating has to do in part with my family's rather loud racism. While I don't have paperwork personally, I know that my grandfather's birth certificate listed his race as being native (no specific tribe) and he was always upset about it because he wanted to be listed as being caucasian even though he doesn't look caucasian at all. He could very well pass for being full-blooded. All 3 of my other grandparents had blond hair and blue eyes, so that is what their grandkids look like too unfortunately. This isn't some weird whimsical wivestale that only comes to mind whenever someone hears about a pow wow. Whether or not I am native was never a question I had. I know I am, I just want others to recognize it and respect it and just let me learn about my culture.
so if its been acknowledged by other natives as you say.......start there......other natives will know what tribe you are if they believe you

how do we know? because we are native.......ask any native the first conversation we have when meeting other natives...........we all are all subject to "where you from? what tribe are you from? who are your parents? do they know so and so? have you participated in this and that?".........no native is just gonna acknowledge your family based on your word

so i assure you, if you are who you say you are.......the other natives will know your tribe, region of orgin, family relations, family acquaintances ect ect ect

how about i start the native "introduction".....where you from? who are your people? who are your clans? who are your family?

oh wait.....you dont know

if youre looking for acceptance with real natives you better learn those quick

and i dont suggest you ever make anything up either because real natives may know people of any tribe you claim.....they may ask you about relations, customs, history......if you get something wrong they will press harder and take you to task.......and you would be labeled fake and forever be an object of ridicule

just a fair warning

PS.....no need to fear rejection little otter.......as long as you really seek the answers and are ready to accept the answers graciously if they are not to your liking (as in finding out its family lore)

we like white people....we can always use more friends.....as long as they stay white

Last edited by milehighsalute; 04-26-2016 at 11:45 AM..
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
Some donkus

I have been fairly open and completely honest about what I do and don't know... My family has kept it hidden from me, how is that my fault? I am a teenager. What am I supposed to do?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Some donkus

I don't know why you are insisting that this is family lore. It isn't. There is a legitimately established knowledge of the fact that my dad's side of the family is native american. It is not the fact that they are native that is kept a secret, it is the tribe and the people they are keeping a secret. I have told you everything I know. I came here for help and what I am hearing is "Sorry, you don't know enough, so you must just be white, but you can be our friend anyways!"
Old 04-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49,288.16
Savings: 1.00
Well , you are a teenager ? Hmmmm....no patience ? Don't want to work for the knowledge ? Want to be an "instant NDN" ? Wanting everything to fall right on your plate ! Sorry , won't ever happen !
MHS told you how to start in the first post he made !O.C. made suggestions also , but you didn't hear any of that ! You're seem more concerned that everyone's hiding something from you and really , they're not.
I was raised white. Grew up on a farm. My Mom and Dad divorced when I was 4 so I had not 1 clue what "NDN" was. I met my Dad at 24 , Started learning.....still am ! It took many many years before I ever felt like I actually belonged around our people. In my years I've met several hundred people with the same or similar story as yours. When I was young I asked my Grandma about being "NDN" and she told me"shhh , we just don't talk about that" and I asked why and she said "It's just not a good thing". It was a stigma of the times. Kinda like marrying a black.....back in the day it just wasn't accepted. I worked hard to find myself.....you will have to also ! Good Luck , you've been given some good advice. Take it ! Quit whining !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
And before you blame us for being a bunch of racist ndns , I'll just let you know that most of us on here are mixed bloods with a few fullbloods and a lot of "thinbloods"!

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
I realize you're young. Patience is not necessarily a virtue of youth. But, whining about unfair doesn't go far in NDN country. Unfair is part of the birthright, LOL. Please, I really am sympathetic. In my youth, I read lots of Wendy Rose. I walked around school carrying around copies of Akwesasne Notes, just "prove" it to those around me. (Yes, I just cringe in my old age, LOL.) But, real is inside. It comes from what you do for others that is NDN.

Until you know what tribe, however, you don't have a culture to claim. Saying you're Indian is like saying you're European. We're Cheyenne, Kiowa, Umatilla, Micmaq, or whatever first. You need to know the first.

That answer lays with your family. If they won't tell you, then you'll need to dig through birth and dead certificates. It isn't easy or fast. When you're a teen, it made seem intractable. But, Native peoples in the US have their lives remarkably well documented. It is truly rare to be unable to find the real Indians in the family woodpile. You will ultimately find your tribe.

Just be aware, NDN identity isn't a panacea. It's actually a lot of work. We have languages to save, appallingly poor educational achievement to address, economies to rebuild, suicide epidemics to treat, relatives to nurture, dead to mourn, and lives to live. The beads and feathers, the smudges and the sweats are only the tiniest bit. Most is just plain hard, thankless work.

Listen to Milehigh and Wardancer, they are both wise men, they know things about the road you're seeking to walk. (Heck, Milehigh knows which weeds in your lawn are good eats and that's some useful knowledge ) This isn't going to be fast. You may not ever get all you want.

But, now -- even before you can answer which tribe -- you can do NDN things:

1) Stay in school and take advantage of your educational opportunities. Our communities need all the educated Indians we can get.

2) Educate yourself on current events and policy decisions that affect Indian Country.

3) Read Indian papers and listen to Indian radio stations. Learn about the battles and triumphs of our various communities.

4) Cultivate a patient and compassionate heart, you'll need it if you get what you want.

Last edited by OLChemist; 04-26-2016 at 01:24 PM..
Old 04-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I realize you're young. Patience is not necessarily a virtue of youth. But, whining about unfair doesn't go far in NDN country. Unfair is part of the birthright, LOL. Please, I really am sympathetic. In my youth, I read lots of Wendy Rose. I walked around school carrying around copies of Akwesasne Notes, just "prove" it to those around me. (Yes, I just cringe in my old age, LOL.) But, real is inside. It comes from what you do for others that is NDN.

Until you know what tribe, however, you don't have a culture to claim. Saying you're Indian is like saying you're European. We're Cheyenne, Kiowa, Umatilla, Micmaq, or whatever first. You need to know the first.

That answer lays with your family. If they won't tell you, then you'll need to dig through birth and dead certificates. It isn't easy or fast. When you're a teen, it made seem intractable. But, Native peoples in the US have their lives remarkably well documented. It is truly rare to be unable to find the real Indians in the family woodpile. You will ultimately find your tribe.

Just be aware, NDN identity isn't a panacea. It's actually a lot of work. We have languages to save, appallingly poor educational achievement to address, economies to rebuild, suicide epidemics to treat, relatives to nurture, dead to mourn, and lives to live. The beads and feathers, the smudges and the sweats are only the tiniest bit. Most is just plain hard, thankless work.

Listen to Milehigh and Wardancer, they are both wise men, they know things about the road you're seeking to walk. (Heck, Milehigh knows which weeds in your lawn are good eats and that's some useful knowledge ) This isn't going to be fast. You may not ever get all you want.

But, now -- even before you can answer which tribe -- you can do NDN things:

1) Stay in school and take advantage of your educational opportunities. Our communities need all the educated Indians we can get.

2) Educate yourself on current events and policy decisions that affect Indian Country.

3) Read Indian papers and listen to Indian radio stations. Learn about the battles and triumphs of our various communities.

4) Cultivate a patient and compassionate heart, you'll need it if you get what you want.
Hey , I know which ones to smoke ! Doesn't that count ???

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
Some donkus

There is a big difference between whining and defending myself from someone who sounds an awful lot like they are accusing me of spreading false stories or family legends or w/e. This isn't like that. I am NOT a liar.

If I haven't made my desire to educate myself clear, let me try to make it clearer... ALL I want from life right now is to learn about my culture, my people, my language, my everything... I would not exist without my ancestors, and however small a part of me my native blood is, it is still a part of me whether anyone else likes it or not, and it can't be taken out of me, and I wouldn't want it to. But how can I possibly learn about my culture when I don't know my tribe? The most cooperative relative I have is my grandpa and even he doesn't know much more than I do. I asked him a bit ago "where exactly" that part of the family is from, and he said South Dakota, towards Sioux Falls (which I guess makes sense, it being close to southern Minnesota) he also said he wished he could help me more, and he was proud of me for trying my best to learn about my culture. He also told me he was never pretending to be Ojibwe, just that those were the people he made friends with, and that he has picked up some bits and pieces of knowledge from them along the way, he likes the way they are, etc. I asked him why he never tried to learn more about his own culture, and he said that your own culture is whatever you make it to be, it just doesn't make a difference to him "what he is" because it doesn't change him as a person, and I can respect that. That sort of thing doesn't matter to some people, but it does matter to me.

I have a very good (internet) friend who is legit registered Salish. He is fair-skinned too, but not quite as bad as me. He has shown me a great deal about the spiritual side of things and really helped me to shape my personality into something better than it once was, in that respect. He also told me that "blood quantum is genocide" and it really doesn't matter what other people think of me because they don't get to choose who my ancestors were.

On top of that, he taught me to pay attention to my dreams. When I did, amazing things happened when I was awake. Y'all can think I am a liar all you want, you can call me impatient or demanding (still no idea where the heck that came from), but whether or not you choose to actually hear what I am asking for (knowledge and literally nothing else) I am going to get it, with or without help from people here. Maybe I made an error in judgement revealing so much, so quickly, to so many people who I don't even know.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #13
Some donkus

I literally came here wanting nothing more but to learn, and to come into contact with my relatives. I didn't ask for a home on the reservation, I didn't ask to be included in pow wows, I didn't ask to be registered with the tribe, I just wanted to learn. That was it.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
There is a big difference between whining and defending myself from someone who sounds an awful lot like they are accusing me of spreading false stories or family legends or w/e. This isn't like that. I am NOT a liar.

If I haven't made my desire to educate myself clear, let me try to make it clearer... ALL I want from life right now is to learn about my culture, my people, my language, my everything... I would not exist without my ancestors, and however small a part of me my native blood is, it is still a part of me whether anyone else likes it or not, and it can't be taken out of me, and I wouldn't want it to. But how can I possibly learn about my culture when I don't know my tribe? The most cooperative relative I have is my grandpa and even he doesn't know much more than I do. I asked him a bit ago "where exactly" that part of the family is from, and he said South Dakota, towards Sioux Falls (which I guess makes sense, it being close to southern Minnesota) he also said he wished he could help me more, and he was proud of me for trying my best to learn about my culture. He also told me he was never pretending to be Ojibwe, just that those were the people he made friends with, and that he has picked up some bits and pieces of knowledge from them along the way, he likes the way they are, etc. I asked him why he never tried to learn more about his own culture, and he said that your own culture is whatever you make it to be, it just doesn't make a difference to him "what he is" because it doesn't change him as a person, and I can respect that. That sort of thing doesn't matter to some people, but it does matter to me.

I have a very good (internet) friend who is legit registered Salish. He is fair-skinned too, but not quite as bad as me. He has shown me a great deal about the spiritual side of things and really helped me to shape my personality into something better than it once was, in that respect. He also told me that "blood quantum is genocide" and it really doesn't matter what other people think of me because they don't get to choose who my ancestors were.

On top of that, he taught me to pay attention to my dreams. When I did, amazing things happened when I was awake. Y'all can think I am a liar all you want, you can call me impatient or demanding (still no idea where the heck that came from), but whether or not you choose to actually hear what I am asking for (knowledge and literally nothing else) I am going to get it, with or without help from people here. Maybe I made an error in judgement revealing so much, so quickly, to so many people who I don't even know.
Quote:
I literally came here wanting nothing more but to learn, and to come into contact with my relatives. I didn't ask for a home on the reservation, I didn't ask to be included in pow wows, I didn't ask to be registered with the tribe, I just wanted to learn. That was it.

We know your story . You've repeated it several times.We're not calling you a liar. We hear it all the time.

As with all things , you have to start at the beginning. Birth certificates. They have parents names and where they're from. Find their birth certificates and death certificates. Follow that trail till you find the one that's registered. If not , you'll have the area they're from. Look there. It's NOT easy.

Skin color doesn't matter , It doesn't prove anything. I have full blood friends that are light. I have thin blood friends that are dark. Luck of the draw.

You want to find your relatives ? We told you how......LISTEN.
Personally I believe I just wasted a bunch of my time replying to this thread. We always give the benefit of the doubt , but generally after the third or fourth time , we're done. Good luck
windanncer, RDNKJ and faedra like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #15
Some donkus

I have been listening, that is why I am upset at being accused of telling stories.

How am I supposed to acquire birth and death certificates from people I am completely estranged from? I feel like my family wouldn't even keep those things around. I know for my dad, because he was kind of a black sheep, it was like... Well, he's dead now, he's gone. All his stuff gone, everything. How can you get birth and death certificates from people that have been gone for many years? Like the person who was named Laughing Crow, how could I find them with so little information? I don't even know where to look.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #16
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Do you have YOUR birth Certificate ? Read it. It will tell your parents names. Go to the states website. It will tell you how to get a copy of someones birth and/or Death records. Get them , etc. , etc. Each time you get one , go to the next. That's how you start.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
Some donkus

I didn't know you could do that, thank you Wardancer that is really helpful, most helpful thing anyone has told me so far. Thank you.
wardancer likes this.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #18
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Thread title: "Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join?"

Quote:
...I didn't ask to be registered with the tribe...

The word join certainly led me to think you wanted to be part of a tribe's body politic. I may not speak my people's language, but I'm pretty good with English:) I have no idea how I'm supposed to read "can I still join" and not think enrollment.

The demanding and impatient is coming from both your word choice and your continued claims to information you seem to think we are willful withholding. Unintentionally I'm sure, you are being very dominant culture right now. If I approached knowledgable people back home that way, I'd get a nice slice of humble pie.

Quote:
But how can I possibly learn about my culture when I don't know my tribe?

You can't. That is why we keep saying hit the county clerks offices and such. You're going have to find that tribe.

You keep demanding knowledge. What knowledge? There is no generic NDN knowledge. You seem to be under the impression there is a broad commonality or even an equivalence in various NDN cultures. There is not.The continuing references in your posts to activities commonly associated with various tribes' spiritual ways, suggest you are seeking religious teachings. These a tribal specific, and by and large aren't served up freely.

You are also having a collision of worldviews. The Christian west actively seek converts, it shares religious information freely and copiously. All the Native ways I've learned about have restrictions on these kinds of information. They don't seek converts. This is just the way our various religious systems work.

Among my people you earn access to teachings and power. They are gifts from the Spirits and Creator, but you have to cultivate relationships to become worthy. Intent and action both have to be right. And you may never be given some things. There will always be some aspects beyond your reach; humans are pitiful and limited. Further these gifts are for the good of the people. You are selfish, boastful or loose-lipped at your own risk. This is the way the universe was created.

Down Milehigh's way, knowledge belongs to societies, priesthoods, families, and clans and is held by the People for the good of the People. Knowledge is on a need to know basis. Men don't know all about women's ways and vis versa. You know only what you've been initiated into. You don't tell the secrets of your religious order without profound metaphysical and physical consequences. This is the way the universe was created.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #19
Dances With Fat Chicks

listen kid......i am ndn....and my tribes have many ways that i can declare they are not for you....not for my boss....not for my mechanic....not for olchemist....not for wardancer.........but lastly and most difficult to swallow, NOT EVEN FOR ME for that matter......this is something everyone here has had to deal with at some point.......i was just fortunate enough to be raised in a mixed native environment

if Genizaros get recognized i can even claim to be a fullblood even though my great great great grandmother was a fullblooded spanish princess......i cant prove it though, the records were all lost in a fire and we dont talk about that much because of the shame involved. But my auntie does have some low cheekbones you can see it in her well......and i burn in the sun.

but aside from all that lets talk about your quest for "knowledge".......even if you pinpoint a tribe and you are 100% sure........the biggest form of bad manners would be to wave it around in everyones face and plant a flag in the middle of their enrollment process

ease into it, i hope you DO find what tribe.....we can help you easier from there by telling you what we may know of said tribe that you wont find on websites

then comes the fun part, studying, visiting cultural center, meeting people and LEARNING

i assure you, whatever tribe you may descend from, medicine ways are a very minor part in the lifestyle amongst your people, you would benefit by not even asking about sweat and prayer and please do NOT talk about your dreams....well you can share your naughty ones with your newfound male cousins that are your age.....thats acceptable universally in any race of teens

i hope you get there in discovering who you are.....and when you do, immerse yourself in the history and culture....forget the medicine....if it was meant for you it will find you....but i guarantee it will be years to come

thats exactly what i meant when i said you may be disappointed

good luck......take wardancer's advice on certificates.....now get crackin......it wont be easy and times a wastin
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #20
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
MHS : Let's you and me have some weed salad and smoke some dandelions ??? Or maybe I got that backwards......

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Sponsored Links