Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree236Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join? Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #21
Dances With Fat Chicks

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
MHS : Let's you and me have some weed salad and smoke some dandelions ??? Or maybe I got that backwards......
of course you can smoke dandelions......I like to rock mine up first
windanncer likes this.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #22
Some donkus

Niigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,076.49
Apparently you can't just ask for anyone's birth or death certificates and the lady I talked to was like... Seemed like she wasn't the right person to talk to about it / wasn't sure what I wanted (?) but made it sound like I would have to pay money just to see the documents? My grandma (estranged) says my great grandfather died in Hecla, SD which is a place I have never even heard of.
Niigig is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #23
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,805.15
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niigig View Post
Apparently you can't just ask for anyone's birth or death certificates and the lady I talked to was like... Seemed like she wasn't the right person to talk to about it / wasn't sure what I wanted (?) but made it sound like I would have to pay money just to see the documents? My grandma (estranged) says my great grandfather died in Hecla, SD which is a place I have never even heard of.
No , typically you have an application to fill out and yes , there's usually a fee.

Dang , I thought the town I live in was small ! LOL

At least now you have a place to start looking !
windanncer and Niigig like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #24
Some donkus

Niigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you, Wardancer, you are a good person.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #25
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,184.91
Quote:
Look for Hecla, SD somewhere between Eagle Butte and Sisseton.

After you find them, find out why Eagle Butte is so important to the Sioux Oyate.

Come back and tell us what you find out.

No information is free. You have to work to find out who and what you are.

And if you want to be NDN so bad, go offer tobacco to an NDN grandmother or grandfather. Humble yourself or you will always be considered anglo.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #26
Some donkus

Joe's Dad, I learned a lot from what you have told me... I got off-track a little bit concerning eagle feathers and ended up reading up a lot on that, but any learning is good learning, I think... Eagle Butte is a sacred place for some people, and traditional area for gathering eagle feathers to use for regalia. After I got off-track a bit, now I have a question that I am a little worried / anxiety over. It's pretty off-topic but maybe important.

I have always collected feathers (and rocks, and pretty much anything else interesting I find...) and I actually have 2 eagle feathers. I didn't even know what they were until my friend told me. I thought they were like, from a big goose or something idk. They have been handled minimally and treated very respectfully, I haven't played with them or done anything stupid with them or anything. I am wondering though if it is even right for me to have them?

I am not even officially affiliated with any tribe, the tribe I descend from probably doesn't even know I exist, so I certainly haven't done anything to earn 2 feathers. Who do I give them to? What do I do with them? Should I just give them to one of the Ojibwe elders here? How would I even do that without it being super awkward?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #27
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Joe's Dad, I learned a lot from what you have told me... I got off-track a little bit concerning eagle feathers and ended up reading up a lot on that, but any learning is good learning, I think... Eagle Butte is a sacred place for some people, and traditional area for gathering eagle feathers to use for regalia. After I got off-track a bit, now I have a question that I am a little worried / anxiety over. It's pretty off-topic but maybe important.

I have always collected feathers (and rocks, and pretty much anything else interesting I find...) and I actually have 2 eagle feathers. I didn't even know what they were until my friend told me. I thought they were like, from a big goose or something idk. They have been handled minimally and treated very respectfully, I haven't played with them or done anything stupid with them or anything. I am wondering though if it is even right for me to have them?

I am not even officially affiliated with any tribe, the tribe I descend from probably doesn't even know I exist, so I certainly haven't done anything to earn 2 feathers. Who do I give them to? What do I do with them? Should I just give them to one of the Ojibwe elders here? How would I even do that without it being super awkward?
You didn't heed the advice given to you by those NDNS ^^^^ up there.

They said to listen and not get in a hurry...and now you are asking what to do with 2 feathers. Feathers don't make you NDN.

Do the other deeds. Find and NDN elder and clean their yard, run an errand, or take them something as a gift. A blanket, some groceries. It doesn't have to be a lot.

In time, you will be told what to do with those feathers.
windanncer likes this.

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 04-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #28
Some donkus

Er okay I never said anything about feathers making me NDN, I am in a hurry because I am extremely concerned about the legal implications attached to these feathers, considering the fact that I am not registered with any tribe. I would very much like not to go to juvy. I figure that is pretty reasonable.

I am homeschooled so lots of time to run errands for anyone who will let me. That I can do.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #29
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Er okay I never said anything about feathers making me NDN, I am in a hurry because I am extremely concerned about the legal implications attached to these feathers, considering the fact that I am not registered with any tribe. I would very much like not to go to juvy. I figure that is pretty reasonable.

I am homeschooled so lots of time to run errands for anyone who will let me. That I can do.
Don't take everything so literally and don't think that because we make a generalized statement that we're attacking you. Sometimes we say things that have a much more subtle meaning.

Listen to Joe'sDad , he's one of those really old elders that knows almost everything. He wears the sacred Ruby slippers from Oz !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #30
Some donkus

I am sorry I just really don't want to go to jail.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:58 AM   #31
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:

Go put them back where you found them. If they bother you that much, they weren't meant for you.

Put them back so the proper owner can find them.
windanncer likes this.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 04-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #32
Some donkus

They don't bother me, I just don't want to go to jail. I don't remember where I found them exactly... I have had them for years. Is the exact location important or can I just lie them in the general area they were at?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #33
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Just put them away somewhere safe. Don't tell everyone that actually knows you , that you have them.

Unless they're a big set of matching black and whites....then send them to me !
windanncer, Itzhecatl and Niigig like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #34
Some donkus

No, they are dark brown with a little white splashed at the bottom, mostly just brown. One has a little notch taken out of the tip from something. They are in a small cedar box in my room. What if they are meant for someone else and I shouldn't have them?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #35
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
You found them first , they're yours. Someday you'll know what to do with them.

I was just kidding about sendin them to me , I have a whole eagle in the freezer I haven't decided what to do with yet ! LOL
windanncer and Itzhecatl like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #36
Some donkus

I sincerely hope you never have a house guest who goes in looking for ice cubes and gets startled by your frozen eagle lmao.
wardancer likes this.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #37
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
You found them first , they're yours. Someday you'll know what to do with them.

I was just kidding about sendin them to me , I have a whole eagle in the freezer I haven't decided what to do with yet ! LOL
the spirits said youre supposed to send it to me

and little otter.....put the feathers away somewhere safe for now.....if you dont mind can you tell me where you live?

we can see if there is a local powwow community nearby

you should attend as many as you can.....stay in the bleachers and observe......pretty soon after you attended a few i assure you that youll be invited to round dance or something

and if you find one post it on this thread....ill look into it and make sure its not a hobbyist powwow.....because that would be a horrible first experience
Old 04-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #38
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
the spirits said youre supposed to send it to me

and little otter.....put the feathers away somewhere safe for now.....if you dont mind can you tell me where you live?

we can see if there is a local powwow community nearby

you should attend as many as you can.....stay in the bleachers and observe......pretty soon after you attended a few i assure you that youll be invited to round dance or something

and if you find one post it on this thread....ill look into it and make sure its not a hobbyist powwow.....because that would be a horrible first experience

The spirits you talk to are head banging rockers......I don't listen to them ! LOL

He's from Mn. ennit ?

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #39
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
MHS , it's obvious you don't know HOW to go to hob powwows and have fun ! Get you a big ol camera and go around the arena and just walk up and start takin' their pics. Ask them stupid questions(but use really guttural English) ask if they have a princess in their heritage , have fun with it !Show them how to dance the mapoopi !

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #40
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
I sincerely hope you never have a house guest who goes in looking for ice cubes and gets startled by your frozen eagle lmao.
I have more than 1 freezer ! LOL
windanncer likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Sponsored Links