Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree236Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join? Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #41
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,797.15
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niigig View Post
in Minnesota where we live.
Ennit ?
windanncer likes this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #42
Some donkus

Niigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,076.49
Savings: 0.00
Minnesota, right on Leech Lake. It is pretty easy to find: Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe. I went to 1 pow wow when I was younger, in Onigum... It was a strange experience to say the least... Not the pow wow itself... It is a long story, my dad was angry that I was there and dragged me home after about 30 mins. There was only one white tourist family there, and they were in fact taking pictures of everything LOL. I talked to them very briefly, they were staying at Stony Point campground nearby and thought this was like, a tourist attraction. Being the only other pale-skinned person there aside from these people, and having talked to the people, I understandably got some very, very dirty looks from the participants...

I would really like to attend more this year but I want to do it right. If I need to sit far back and not say a word to anyone, that is fine. I just want to be there.
Niigig is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #43
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
I have more than 1 freezer ! LOL
all real injuns have more than 1 freezer......the primary kit6chen fridge dedicated to mayo, open cans of milk (to use as coffee creamer) and bologna and commodity cheese

and the other one for elk and green chili
Old 04-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #44
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hi all. I am new.
You should read this :

Native American Blood Quantum, Facts and Myths - PowWows.com - Native American Pow Wows
windanncer likes this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #45
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
all real injuns have more than 1 freezer......the primary kit6chen fridge dedicated to mayo, open cans of milk (to use as coffee creamer) and bologna and commodity cheese

and the other one for elk and green chili
But you forgot to mention the other one.....you know , the one in the garage or basement. The one that has critters (dead stuffs)in it ! LOL

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 04-27-2016 at 02:27 PM..
Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #46
Some donkus

Niigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Welp... I don't know how to get any of that stuff... I could save up my money and hire someone if I can find someone who can actually access these documents... If there even are any documents to be found... Reading on the list of tribes, the local tribes here aren't even on the list at all, not sure what that means. The closest tribe to where my family came from, on that list, I think is the Standing Rock Sioux tribe, which I am automatically not going to qualify for because I am only 1/16 if that is even the right tribe, I thought they were on the complete other side of the state though.

I don't want to join for benefits, I don't even really care if I am like officially registered or w/e I just wan't to be in the community and learn about my culture, I'd be thrilled to be allowed to help out, collect trash, haul wood, anything to be included.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #47
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,713.32
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
...and the other one for elk and green chili
When's dinner? Stew some of that elk up with the green, warm corn tortillas, a saute of your pigweed... I'll be all over it, like ants at a picnic. It will be ugly and there will be drooling.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #48
Some donkus

Whatever you guys are cooking it does not sound very appetizing, but to each their own! LOL
Old 04-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #49
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
When's dinner? Stew some of that elk up with the green, warm corn tortillas, a saute of your pigweed... I'll be all over it, like ants at a picnic. It will be ugly and there will be drooling.
NDN food ! I'm in !
windanncer likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #50
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
...I thought they were on the complete other side of the state though.
Well, I can tell you're from East River, LOL.

Quote:
Reading on the list of tribes, the local tribes here aren't even on the list at all, not sure what that means.
That list isn't comprehensive. There are criterion other that just blood quantum and lineal descent. Some nations only count matrilineal descent -- like the Seneca. Others have residency requirements. It can be complicated. Once you know your tribe, we'll show you how to find its constitution.

These can change too. My tribe changed its constitution almost a decade ago to remove a residency requirement.

You're very focused on the nearest rez. I hate to point this out and cause despair, but they don't glue us down when we're born :) My mom moved +1300 miles from her home. I narrowed it to 800 and some.

By the way, Hecla is real close to Lake Traverse too.

If you're willing to do a little more homework I have a couple things for you to lookup:

1) What is Pick-Sloan and how did it impact the tribes along the Missouri? What famous Indian leader's grave had to be moved because of Pick-Sloan?

2) Why was a tax dispute over a family home important to Indian Country? (Hint: Byran vs Itasaca County)
windanncer, Itzhecatl and Niigig like this.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #51
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Whatever you guys are cooking it does not sound very appetizing, but to each their own! LOL
You don't like elk and green chile stew? You haven't eaten, boy!

Pigweed is a wild relative of some kinds of fancy micro-greens, for which the hipsters and foodies pay big bucks.
windanncer and Itzhecatl like this.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #52
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
In typical powwows.com style this thread has been hijacked by food!

The dead things in the freezer makes me laugh. My cousin put a freshly shot porky in her city-born, non-Indian hubby's beer fridge. He total freaked. Claimed it made his beer smell bad. I want to know how he could tell, LOL.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #53
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 71,318.40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
In typical powwows.com style this thread has been hijacked by food!

The dead things in the freezer makes me laugh. My cousin put a freshly shot porky in her city-born, non-Indian hubby's beer fridge. He total freaked. Claimed it made his beer smell bad. I want to know how he could tell, LOL.
Maybe if he leaves open bottles in there, which is a waste, and brings up questions on the validity of his man card

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #54
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Maybe if he leaves open bottles in there, which is a waste, and brings up questions on the validity of his man card

I should add, he was from back east -- really back east, like Boston. He probably thought it was a rat that had eaten a pin cushion.

After doing a post doc in Boston, I'm dubious about man-cards issued in the city limits but outside of Southie. The lab I was in used "imported" labor from WY, NV and TX. But the grad students in the lab across the hall were Bostonians. Squiggy -- yeah, that probably was on his birth certificate -- announced he had been out West once. When I asked where he replied: "the Berkshires!" (I'm firmly convinced the maps of the US sold in Boston end at Manhatten. West of the Hackensack River is labeled "There be dragons." The cutting edge maps have inscribed along the Left Coast, "The mythical land of Los Angles.") He had gone camping in a Holiday Inn.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #55
Some donkus

Well I did a lot of reading and mostly it just made me mad lmao. The Itasca county thing, a native man on indian land got taxed for living in his own home, on indian land, and they all tried to tiptoe around and justify it with all this "well if it was THIS kind of house instead of THAT kind of house..."

And the Pick-Sloan thing was even worse. I didn't find out about the specific man whose grave was moved, but in short, a bunch of A-holes started fiddling with the river and threw it all out of whack, causing the water to erode away burial grounds (the name White Swan came up a lot) and unearth the bones, beads, pottery, etc. Then to make it even worse, people were picking them up and saying "It isn't grave-robbing, it's archeology." ?!?!?!??!?! When the relatives of the deceased tried to recover everything that was looted, they faced opposition ranging from "This is an archeological discovery." to "We need it for medical research." to a bunch of mumbo-jumbo that to me was just a grown up way of saying "Finders keepers!" ~ The stupidest thing though is that they KNEW these were sacred areas before they ever even fiddled with the river! They were told exactly where and how many people were buried in this area, and they went along with it anyway, then later on claimed it was an accident. Omg I am not even affected by this and I still wanna punch someone.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #56
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Very good, you looked.

Bryan vs Itasca County was more than just a simple tax dispute. It was a very powerful assertion of tribal sovereignty over state regulations. Because of its far reaching effects, there is legalized gaming on many reservations. With gaming, for some tribes at least, has come economic power. For example, the Seminole have bailed out various state agencies in FL.

Pick-Sloan, as you noted was a project to dam the Missouri and tributaries for flood flood control, irrigation, recreation and navigation. It put sections of several reservations under water including Fort Berthold, Cheyenne River, Standing Rock, Crow Creek and Lower Brule. It did more damage and resulted in the loss of more Indian land that any other public works project in US history. (Including submerge almost all arable land cultivated by the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara.) The Army Corp of Engineers and the feds ran roughshod over treaties and tribal sovereignty.

The damage to communities and tribes is still felt (and litigated) today. Many people will tell you there are so few old people on some of these rez's because of Pick-Sloan, it just broke people's hearts. It is also always in the memory of tribal leaders.

Among the many graves that had to be relocated was Sitting Bull's.

By the way, the playing field is different now, at least with regard to human remains and grave goods. When I was in grad school -- no, I'm not so old that this was ancient history:) -- there was a law passed called the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA). It also has altered the power dynamic between tribes, museums, universities and states.
windanncer likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 04-27-2016 at 06:39 PM..
Old 04-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #57
Some donkus

What I am curious about though is, what about the remains and regalia and other items that were already in museums or wherever? Like, did they have to give them back or are they still trapped there? I find it so macabre and disturbing that they treat people's remains like kids digging through a toybox. If I found out someone was disturbing the land where a loved one of mine was buried I would smack them upside the head with their own shovel.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #58
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
It is not an uncomplicated process, but yes remains, grave goods and sacred items are being repatriated. I'm no expert on the process, but there is an established procedure. It covers only federally recognized tribes. The requesting tribe or individual needs to extensively document the validity of their claim.

Wikipedia NAGPRA

The law was 25 year old last year. It is still a work in progress. And there are spiritual issues for many tribes and individuals which will never be resolved by the law.

One of the most important parts is the criminalization of trade in cultural items. However the law is limited to the US only. Other countries do as there laws dictate. For example last year a collector in France offered dozens a kastina masks for sale. The Hopi were unable to establish a claim to the material that had any merit in the eyes of a very secular, post-revolutionary French legal system.

What you need to understand as you begin to enter Native communities is just how different the worldviews are. Forget the Fertile Crescent and Judeo-Christian religious ideas. There is no Greece or Rome. No Aritstole, Plato, St Augustine, Descarte, Luther, Newton, Locke or Hume.... No English Common Law or French Court Law.

This means the underpinning of Native thought, ethics, law and spirituality are from a completely different root. Things which are ingrained in the dominant culture as the only rational way, are at odds with an indigenous ethos. This causes enormous misunderstandings. And In the legal arena is is often hard to reconcile Native understands of rights, morality and property with those of a legal system informed by thousands and thousands of years of European thought.

I've spent the better part of 4 decades of my life trying to understand why there are such hard a repeated collisions. I have come to realize that in many cases we will simply never be able to find common ground. There are too many ideas which are -- to put it in geometric terms -- orthogonal.

Last edited by OLChemist; 04-28-2016 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Ouch, that sentence hurt.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #59
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I want to recommend a couple books, but I'm not sure how old you are and what your parents might think.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #60
Some donkus

I'm really mature for my age... At least I think I am. And my parents aren't exactly active in my life. My dad has passed and my mom remarried and isn't around much. I have a lot of freedom which I really like, but also sometimes sucks to not have someone to go to, but I have survived so far. Best part is being able to eat whatever whenever LOL.

I really enjoy reading and learning. Though I am not great at retaining information sometimes. I tend to get really sidetracked and excited about one topic, then jump to the next. I would love to read anything you can recommend though, I love to learn.
Sponsored Links