Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree236Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join? Father refused to acknowledge tribe, can I still join?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #101
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,714.32
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
I'd hate to be the one with the last name "Jackson"...
You can bet none of them are named Andy.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #102
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,041.53
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niigig View Post
LOL hey now... My mom always tells me that every gray hair you sprout gives you one more IQ point and that is why the older you are, the wiser you are.

Well, my brother told me we have an ancestor named Laughing Crow, or with the last name of Laughingcrow, but he doesn't know which. I just assumed that whoever that was, was our link to our tribe... my grandpa's last name is just "White"... Which is why I did not mention it before. Sort of seems to not be pointed in my favor lmao. I swear he is not white though. Black hair and dark skin, he is definitely not white. Maybe they changed their name to White because they wanted to be white, I don't know, I was told that down the line, when the takeover first happened, our family was one of the few who voluntarily assimilated into white culture without resistance... Cut their hair, went to church, the whole shabang. THAT part IS family lore, but it could be true, I am not sure. I am still trying to save up money to ask for birth/death certificates or other documents. I don't have a real job yet so it will probably take me a while.
Names Names Names
Probably one of the most common thing people ask me about when trying to do native research!
First out of the gate Each tribe has a different Naming convention...
In my tribe for instance the name White could be from several root names such as White Killer, Whiteman Killer, even Peacemaker that was describing a color which would be white not the race...
Out of those old names I have seen the last name as White, Whitener, Mankiller.
Names were shortened especially when translating from the original language which was pictorial to descriptive language.
So the name Pumpkin Pile Kicker was merely Pumpkin
Or "Sitting on a fence crying for money" is now "moneycryer" or "money" or "goodmoney"
Some names we will never now why or how they got the name such as "floats from the bottom" or "dog that floats from the bottom of the river" to today floatingdog now just "Floats".
Another very common modern name is Dirteater but the root was "eats from dirt pots" or another translation would be eats from pottery
In my own research I could not tie several names together for I knew they came from the same family it all depends on who was translating so "Thirsty", "Askwater", "They ask for Water" is all the same family what today we know as Ummerteskee! or Ahmadeske all the same family!!!
Old 05-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #103
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Welcome, young grasshopper! Asking questions is always good! Like you said, how are you supposed to know if you don't ask?

However, listening to the answers is KEY! Folks will only get annoyed if you don't consider the answers they already gave you...hence the reference to Kung Fu (the TV show above) which you can watch to ponder the whole question/answer thing. :)

Good luck in your journey!

And thanks to OLC for some great Native American 101! I love being a life long learner!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #104
Tiny Tot Dancer

DaisyMaisy is a splendid one to beholdDaisyMaisy is a splendid one to beholdDaisyMaisy is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 1,744.32
I agree that names are tricky and can lead you in the wrong direction if you aren't careful. I have a last name that is pretty unusual for a white person, and is a fairly common name on the reservation near where I went to college. And I'm not Native, so there you go. I also had a grandparent with the last name of White, which I am, so in that case it matches!

So your grandpa moved to the Leech Lake area a long time ago? I wonder if any of the local elders know anything about his history. It seems possible your ancestors would have discussed who they were with the local Indians, but who knows, if they were trying to just blend in.

Another thought is the Federal Census, you can get those free online as current as 1940. It might list your ancestors as white if that's what they told the census taker. But it should say their birthplace. You can often backtrack and then look at the census for previous decades. https://www.archives.gov/research/census/
Niigig likes this.
DaisyMaisy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #105
Pow Wow Visitor

Keba76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 167.02
My last name is Jackson but not by choice it was my dad's last name. Since I haven't seen him in over 20 years thought of taking my mom's maiden name of whitely but paying for name change, then having all my eastern band and federal paperwork changed...Jackson might not be as bad as one thinks.
Keba76 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links