Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree76Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Feeling alone Feeling alone

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #21
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Savings: 0.00
Sometimes, I just can't help myself and I have to opine. This isn't addressed to anyone in particular - just throwing it out there. I have two points to make. Brevity isn't my strong suit, but I'll try.

Point 1 - Stereotyping

Stereotypes, even positive ones, are harmful and rob individuals of their identity. It seems counter-intuitive, because people generally want others to think "good" things about them. But it is no compliment to say: NDNs are so at one with nature; Jews are so good at math; Mexicans are so devoted to their children... They are harmful because acceptance of the positive stereotypes reinforces the acceptance of the negative ones. The above phrases are just the flipsides to: NDNs are all drunks; all Jews care about is money; Mexicans breed like rabbits... That may be the only thing that is truly universal across all peoples. Whether we're French, Cree or Kazakh - individually and societally we're all capable of the greatest of kindness and the basest of cruelty, great wisdom and woeful ignorance. Stereotypes do nothing but tell people that their talents, temperaments, good and bad have nothing to do with them as a person - it is due to their race/ethnicity/etc. that they love their children, drink too much, and ace algebra tests (sometimes even all at the once).

Point 2 - When in Rome/Lame Deer

This applies to all groups, but since this is pws.com, I'll keep it short and sweet:

If ya wanna play with NDNs, ya gotta go by their rules; you don't get to bring your own.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #22
Powwow Grandmother

DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,566.41
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSnowGrl View Post

Native American culture is DEAD. Everything that you once stood for is washed up. Everything that was passed down from generation to generation has slowly played telephone and changed meanings based on your behavior. It makes me sad, because I love what I was told, but hey, maybe everything I was ever told is a lie and this is who you are.
Native American Culture is not dead. You sound like as if God is DEAD. In most reservations and First Nations, Our Elders, even me as a Elder, have been trying to teach our children to learn the basis of traditional ways of using Medicine Wheel and making traditional foods even cooking like Frybread and soups including how to hunt and planting our traditional crops. Also they have tried to teach children on learning how to speak our Native tongues (languages). Children were happy to know that they can learn and preserved their own traditional ways.

I agree with the OP that when someone who was outside of the race had lived on the reservation or First Nation reserve can become "Native American". The Whites or Blacks can learn to speak our languages and do all those traditional ways and I guess they can earn the word as "Native American". I don't know as I would never know what they are thinking as Whites and Blacks might want to go back to their own ways instead of our ways. It is their thoughts that I am concern about as long as they are adults. But if a non-white or non-black baby were born on the reservation and never thought about white ways, then the baby growing up would go the traditional ways without a thought of being like the white person or black person. I am trying to make a point or example of it.

In Canada where I had lived on the First Nation reserve, there were few blacks living on our reserve. They were accepted. So no problem. We are all related no matter what as long as we get along fine with each other.
windanncer and RDNKJ like this.

DeafElderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 AM   #23
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,710.40
Who are you to judge whether or not "everything we stood for is washed up"? Who are you to judge that NA culture is dead? People come here with regularity, and want to learn how to "walk the red path, be one with nature, ad nauseam. They aren't told what they want to hear, get their knickers in a knot, and say how mean we are. You say you are Dine and Apache, seek them out and see if they will teach you what you want to learn. We are many Nations here-and many personalities-as I believe you have found out.
windanncer, RDNKJ, gilisi and 1 others like this.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

Mogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,220.27
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSnowGrl View Post
I'm tired of reading on these forums that all white people are scum.

Where did you read this?

Iíve been reading lots of posts on here and not once have I come across this attitude where it has been meant literally.

Considering the ancestry and personal history of most people on here, itís surprising that the point of view you are referring to is not in every post.

I would normally shy away from commenting in this type of debate, but you do not speak for me.
windanncer, subeeds, RDNKJ and 1 others like this.
Mogs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #25
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,208.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
@OLChemist, I look forward to your intelligent, concise replies to these "kinds" of threads. (so many of these kinds of threads over the years...)
Too bad they fall on deaf ears or in our internet case, deaf Eyes and a closed mind. Preconceived notions of how the world will be is a recipe for disappointment. Once again we do not live up to the high ideals and moral standards that are gleaned from Hollywood teachings.
Where the noble savage fights for the land and drips tears when it is trashed (He was Italian BTW)
Where the Medicine Man wears a Dead Bird on his head (He is not Ndn maybe French? LoL)
Where we welcome strangers into our home, feed them then give them presents of blankets and notions. (Umm yeah read about the real Thanksgiving and see how that turned out)

No those were a very long time ago after Disease and Heartache, and years of benign neglect. Until it became fashionable to be Native and whew let me say I have met literally THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS that have the same story. GREAT GREAT Granma hid out or was adopted or something and now I am trying to reconnect (What happened to Great Great Grandpa I Wonder?????)
So yes
Its human nature to at first have doubts...
Here is the crossroads to this:
One small path the person listens and takes your advice and reconnects by actually visiting IN PERSON the community they are trying to reconnect with. (I know its radical!!)
The other more traveled path the person says "all you people suck" and we never hear from them again oh and they threaten to DELETE their account! (Um yeah it can't be deleted just goes inactive by not logging on or I ban you for life and the account is still there you just cant log on...)
well somehow mathewbailey08 was able to delete his account......his mom was howling lawsuit for a long time

anyways....i notice with all these stupid stories of dubious ndn ancestory.....there is always SHAME and HIDING and SECRETS involved......i dont get it........that why i think thats all BS to me.......and who spends substantial amount of time on any rez with relatives and dont know what rez it is or at least what people the rez belong to?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #26
Pow Wow Visitor

QueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond reputeQueenSnowGrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 403.40
I was talking to xTechno and I realized I needed to address the forum about what I said. I was originally being sarcastic because I was angry earlier, but I realize what I said was disrespectful and uncalled for. I want to apologize to you guys. I was reading some of the responses, and it answered a few questions I have actually. I just want to say thank you for those who were patient enough to reply. I think I should save my dumb comments until I'm level headed enough to reply. Oops
OLChemist, alumphfres and Toolbox like this.
QueenSnowGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links