Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Genealogy for State Tribes? Genealogy for State Tribes?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Head Dancer

Items Cake
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
Genealogy for State Tribes?

I was at a pow wow this weekend when some Gentleman came over and started talking to my friend and I about the different tribes in NC, not the Cherokee's that most know, but the other's. Many of whom are State recognized and, I'm not sure, but I think some aren't.

We all know how to look up the most common and popular ones, but what about these Tribes and other's like them such as: The Lumbee's and Saponi's just as an example of two of them and I know there are many more out there.

How would you look them up? Or even find them?

Where could you get this information?

Were there NDN Agents who might have records on some of these tribes way back when? And if so where would they be?

Would the BIA have any info on them?

I always tell people that just because an ancestor comes from NC doesn't automatically make them Cherokee, there were many tribes in NC back in the early 1800's. So how would one know which tribe?
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Bardahl

TomBeck is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Timmy Tiger go to Native Americans in Yadkin Valley & this will tell you about some of the tribes in North Carolina. I Came from one of the tribes they are talking about. Saura, Keyauwee, Saponi, Or Catawba Don,t know Which. My Great grandmother came from Randolph County & was full blooded Indian. She Married & moved to Davidson County where my family came family came from. This area was called Yadkin Valley.
Hope I Can Help you more Thank
TomBeck
TomBeck is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
AKA...Falling Leaves

steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
I know of the Catawba, and the Santee, Saponi, Tuscarora....and of course my people The Cherokee....

I also ran across this bit of info years ago when doing some research for a history paper in college and I scanned it and included it for what it's worth ... BTW I got a A- on the paper, said that I was to one sided and to wordy....

At the time of the first European contact, North Carolina was inhabited by a number of native tribes sharing some cultural traits, but also distinguished by regional and linguistic variations.

Three major language families were represented in North Carolina: Iroquoian, Siouan, and Algonquian. Iroquois speaking people included the Cherokee, Tuscarora, Meherrin, Coree, and Neuse River tribes. Algonquin speakers included the Bear River, Chowan, Hatteras, Nachapunga, Moratok, Pamlico, Secotan, and Weapomeoc tribes. The Siouan language family included the Cape Fear, Catawba, Cheraw, Eno, Keyauwee, Occaneechi, Saponi, Shakori, Sissipahaw, Sugaree, Tutelo, Waccamaw, Wateree, Waxhaw, and Woccon tribes.

The Iroquois tribes inhabited the mountains in the western portion of the state. The Siouan tribes lived in the central piedmont area, and the Algonquin tribes lived in the southern tidewater area.

Hope that this helps...

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds
steelemagnolia63 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Tom for the thread, I briefly looked at it and it looks pretty interesting. Will take a better look here in a little bit.

Thanks Steele for the info.

But where would someone who was looking in that area find the actual Tribe that their ancestor came from, or can they?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
AKA...Falling Leaves

steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
That would be a tough one since some of these tribes are not "tribes" anymore per the BIA....I suppose that the only way that you could trace them would be family history...

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds
steelemagnolia63 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

DarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these parts
Savings: 517.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
That would be a tough one since some of these tribes are not "tribes" anymore per the BIA....I suppose that the only way that you could trace them would be family history...
In my area Souian indians ruled,the drowning creek use to be catawaba territory,Tuscarora,lumbees, cheraws, coharies,saponis(i belive),so many tribes lived on this river but they b elived cheraw indians settled in the old charraw settlement which is pembroke a.k.a scuffletown (if i remember correctly)to us it was called the settelment and I remember for my aunt she had to tell them stuff she knew as a little kid or our history because she moved to cali it also depends which area you was from what surnames you were like my g. grandma was a sampson which was consider the sampson county indians who came to robeson county my last name jacobs they belive came from the saponi indans that was on a plantation,my grandpa was a lowrie which came from a hero for us name henry berry lowrie who was Tuscarora.But im guessing im a lumbee because my mom aunt and all is but there is alot in my family that seperates me from white or black in robeson county,words we grew up using skin color and all but im assuming i might have had a diffrent tribal history to but i just cant find it my dad last name is kerns which appears on the cherokee but i really dont think im cherokee

Last edited by DarkWaterDeweller; 09-30-2009 at 04:35 PM..
DarkWaterDeweller is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

ruselrones is an unknown quantity at this point
Genealogy Records-:

Biographies
Cemetery Records
Census Records
Family Tree Search
History Books Online
Military Records
Surnames
Vital Records
World Genealogy
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruselrones View Post
Genealogy Records-:

Biographies
Cemetery Records
Census Records
Family Tree Search
History Books Online
Military Records
Surnames
Vital Records
World Genealogy
There are some really good places here to get records from.

But Family tree search and World Genealogy? Aren't these sites where other people put on what they have found? Are there any actual county or vital records that you can personally look up to verify the work yourself? I'm asking because I have personally seen where and how it's so easy for someone to make a mistake (human error) and if you go by just what they find and don't double check it yourself, then you wind up with the same mistakes and it will totally throw you off and you won't know where to fix it later down the road. I've seen that first hand.

What do you mean by Surnames?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Don't know how much this would help but after pouring over Ancestry.com, there are times when you find Siouan tribes listed on the 1900 Indian census and/or on the 1930 census listed as Indian.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

I'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond repute
You could try this link. The rest of the page has great info as well. Poke around a little.

Genealogy Help Page
I'm A Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
Teen Dancer

Jammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
There are some really good places here to get records from.

But Family tree search and World Genealogy? Aren't these sites where other people put on what they have found? Are there any actual county or vital records that you can personally look up to verify the work yourself? I'm asking because I have personally seen where and how it's so easy for someone to make a mistake (human error) and if you go by just what they find and don't double check it yourself, then you wind up with the same mistakes and it will totally throw you off and you won't know where to fix it later down the road. I've seen that first hand.

What do you mean by Surnames?
Timmy Tiger, Your right to questions those sites. One of my great uncles on my mothers side did their entire lineage back to their original countries before they migrated to America. I use to hear him talk about the things he would find. Dates being incorrect as well as names etc.

From listening to him and my great uncles talk. You need proof. And remember that the further you go back the more things get crazy. On census records, surnames (last names) were written according to how the census taker thought it should be spelled. Also, if that said ancestor had a speach problem, or spoke broken english, it would many times be written completely different then it sound.

You have to start with you parents and work you way back. Be advised, when you get into the ndn part of lineages etc, it becomes even more difficult. Many times if the said ancestor was more tan than brown, they would pass as white, considering the force removals etc. If they were dark and kept their hair short they would pass as mulatto or black all together.

You need to search the census records. The family bibles and the stories documented. Follow the family surnames (last names) through the counties and or states. Once you figure out the surname and the county, do a search in the records of the recorded nations or tribes living within the said county. That will be the only way.

Also be advised. Many ppl spend years on doing this. Ask fellow researchers, people at the libraries, and genealogy departments. I would assume they would be willing to help you find the direction you need to go. Also be advised that you will hear of many stories along the way, perhaps even uncover some hidden secrets tucked away. Also be advised, you may not end up where your wanting to go.

Just remember its not the destination that matters, but the sites and people you see and meet along the way. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 140,249.97
Thy this link.

State of North Carolina - Department of Administration

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2009, 04:55 AM   #13
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Thanks Jammer for you post. I'm sure it will help many.

Awesome site JD, thanks for adding it. I looked at it and it looks really neat.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

I'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting that link JD.

jD
I'm A Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

nstescolias is an unknown quantity at this point
Caddo. Within historic times no Caddoan tribe is known to have lived within the limits of the present State of Missouri, but occupancy by Caddo is indicated by certain archeological remains in the extreme southwestern section. (See Texas.)

Dakota. Representatives of this tribe were a party to a treaty made in 1830, relinquishing lands in Missouri to the Whites. (See South Dakota.)

Delaware. In 1818 a grant of land in southern Missouri was made to some of the Delaware Indians but it was re-ceded by them in 1829. (See New Jersey.)

Foxes. Representatives of this tribe were a party to treaties with the United States Government concerning Missouri lands made in 1804 and 1830. (See Wisconsin.)

Illinois. Some of the tribes of the Illinois group at one time lived close to, and probably for a short time within, the eastern boundaries of Missouri. (See Illinois.)

Iowa. The Iowa perhaps lived for a time in that part of Missouri north of Missouri River. (See Iowa.)

Kickapoo. The Kickapoo lived in Missouri for awhile after they had sold their lands in Illinois but soon passed on to Kansas. (See Wisconsin.)

Missouri. Meaning either "(people having) dugout canoes," or "(people having) wooden canoes," which amounts to the same thing. Through a misunderstanding, the name has been supposed to apply to the river which now bears the name, and it has been interpreted as meaning "big muddy." They were also called:
Niachi, their own name.
Wauxa, by the Osage.
Wa-ju'-xdǎ, by the Quapaw.