Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By Ashiryln
  • 2 Post By OLChemist
  • 4 Post By Ashiryln
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By Ashiryln
  • 1 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Help with my family heritage? Help with my family heritage?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ashiryln is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 184.37
Savings: 0.00
Help with my family heritage?

My great grandmother is a White Earth Chippewa/Ojibwe. She was born on the rez in Minnesota and left when she married. Since her passing in 2008 a lot of my families traditions I grew up with faded and I miss them. My grandmother never registered with the tribe. The tribe tried reaching out to her around the time she was mourning the death of my grandfather but she never followed up with them. She always used the excuse that "it's too late." And since the passing of her second husband it's hard to get any information due to crippling depression and dementia. I know that I'm just a mix. And a small one. But I've always felt grounded to my Native heritage. I just recently started putting my family tree together and actually found that my Native heritage isn't just one or two family members but majority of my grandma's and great grandpa's on my mother's side being natives. Now that I know what I come from and it not just a feeling but having proof to back my feelings, I want to know more. I want to learn about the traditions I thought were weird when I was a child, all the crazy stories and superstitions my grandmother's would tell me. But I never questioned anything til now. How do I find out more? Now what can I do? Do I need to have a certain bq to register with the tribe? Do i need to be a part of the tribe to learn more? There's only so much you can learn from words on a page...
Old 02-19-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 53,514.67
Your family is the key. Reconnection starts with finding your kin and their community. Your place is through them. They will teach you. It sounds like you've got a good start.

Enrollment is another matter. Enrollment criteria are determined by the tribe. Their constitution will usually have the particulars. The enrollment office website is a good place to start.

White Earth Nation Enrollment Office

Also, if I were you, I would refrain from using "superstition" and "crazy" in further discussions. These words are laden with colonial baggage.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post

Also, if I were you, I would refrain from using "superstition" and "crazy" in further discussions. These words are laden with colonial baggage.
My word choice was very poorly chosen, I apologize.
milehighsalute likes this.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
No need for apology. Internalized oppression is part of the package. We just have to see it for what it is :)

So, do you bead? (Yes in my universe, you're a chemist, a beadworker, jeweler or artist, LOL.)
wardancer and alumphfres like this.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
No need for apology. Internalized oppression is part of the package. We just have to see it for what it is :)

So, do you bead? (Yes in my universe, you're a chemist, a beadworker, jeweler or artist, LOL.)
Yes! I am an Artist but it's so much more than just art for me. :) Beading, making fabrics, carving, painting, even something like what order to plant my flowers in the spring is an art to me. You name it I can do it, or can learn how very quickly.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:49 AM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
What kind of beadwork?
wardancer likes this.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
What kind of beadwork?
Mainly just using manidomiinensg (I definitely butchered the spelling). I make patches. Small ones I do by hand. Bigger ones I use a loom. Usually of just plants or basic patterns. I sell them at the farmer's market once a summer with all my other art.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiryln View Post
Mainly just using manidomiinensg (I definitely butchered the spelling).
I'm not familiar with that term. Is it an Anishinaabemowin term for appliqué?

BTW, we like pictures :) There is a thread in crafts where we show off a little. Lots of Wardancer's work (He is an accomplished beadworker, regalia maker and featherworker.)
windanncer likes this.
Sponsored Links