• 2 Post By wanjica_the_one
  • 2 Post By wanjica_the_one
  • 3 Post By subeeds
  • 2 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 2 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 2 Post By DeafElderWoman

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Looking for Info on My Stepdad's Family Looking for Info on My Stepdad's Family

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 AM   #1
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,290.91
Savings: 0.00
Looking for Info on My Stepdad's Family

My Stepdad is very very high bq Native. We don't know much about his side of the family and since I'm the one making the family tree tables and he's the only branch with no roots on the chart, I may as well get on with it. Here's what we know:

Stepdad was born into a migrant worker family that had settled in Southern California. They speak a non-standard dialect of Spanish, though what I couldn't tell ya. His father was named Fraulein Nava and was said to be a Meztizo of German and Southern Mexican Native Descent. F. Nava's Maternal Grandfather was full-blooded German but no other Europeans are known in his bloodline. Stepdad's Mother Lydia is a full-blood Native from Texas. When asked what tribe, and what maiden name, she could not recall it, but said her family had always been there since before the Spanish and Americans, staying in the same place. According to her brother (whose name I can neither pronounce nor spell), they lived right where the Comanche and Apache areas used to meet, so could be potentially either, or else some unrecognized group.

If it helps at all to help identify the ethnic group(s) by the cooking, this is a basic run-down of it:
The family on that side cooks tortillas and also makes frybread of the same dough, though tortillas are daily made. The frybread is almost always used for dessert on special occasions, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Rice is also eaten daily at dinner time, usually seasoned with tomato sauce and chicken broth. Beans are eaten at every meal. Maiz is rarely eaten, and then usually in soup or tamales. Bean eggs are eaten usually in the morning; and include cooked speckled beans, eggs, onions, and sometimes fried tortilla bits. Red chilies used are usually large dried New Mexico Chilies, and the Green are usually Poblano. I'm not sure if this is helpful, or if she may have picked up influences from other farm workers that would make this sort of info useless. I intentionally left out foods I know she learned in the farm camps.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,801.61
Father named Fraulein Nava? Fraulein means an unmarried woman in German. You need to find another name for you've been lied to.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
Father named Fraulein Nava? Fraulein means an unmarried woman in German. You need to find another name for you've been lied to.
That is his legit name. I kid you not. I have a step-uncle named after him, and he looked it up as a kid and has been called Junior ever since.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize-Grower View Post
That is his legit name. I kid you not. I have a step-uncle named after him, and he looked it up as a kid and has been called Junior ever since.
Well, the name givers had it all wrong. Do an image search for "fraulein."

The genders are mixed up. He might as well have been named "Hembra Nava" which means the unmarried Nava girl in Spanish.
windanncer and Maize-Grower like this.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Quote:
Well, the name givers had it all wrong. Do an image search for "fraulein."

The genders are mixed up. He might as well have been named "Hembra Nava" which means the unmarried Nava girl in Spanish.
I know it's wrong, but that was his actual legal name on his birth certificate. I can't change it no matter how hilarious it is.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
I know it's wrong, but that was his actual legal name on his birth certificate. I can't change it no matter how hilarious it is.
Maize Grower is hilarious also, you need to change it to Maize Gajo.

Definition of gajo: from the D/L/Nakota languages meaning diarrhea.

I've come to the conclusion that Miss Fraulein Nava was born a woman but decided to better herself and live her life as a man.

Last edited by wanjica_the_one; 08-31-2014 at 06:15 PM..
wanjica_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Quote:
Maize Grower is hilarious also, you need to change it to Maize Gajo.

Definition of gajo: from the D/L/Nakota languages meaning diarrhea.
And your name should change to Usdi Sedani.

More importantly though, why is a Lakota commenting in an inquiry into genealogy of South-western people? (Ellos es de Tejas. Vos no es de Tejas. Que tal hombre?)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
And your name should change to Usdi Sedani.

More importantly though, why is a Lakota commenting in an inquiry into genealogy of South-western people? (Ellos es de Tejas. Vos no es de Tejas. Que tal hombre?)
It's "ellos son de tejas" and "vosotros no erais de tejas."

More importantly, why is your Spanish so bad?

As for using "vos," that word is for "serotes pisados." No one uses "vos" unless you're from the lower countries below Mexico.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #9
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Quote:
It's "ellos son de tejas" and "vosotros no erais de tejas."

More importantly, why is your Spanish so bad?

As for using "vos," that word is for "serotes pisados." No one uses "vos" unless you're from the lower countries below Mexico.
I learned most of my Spanish from an Argentinian lady I know from Facebook. Family won't teach me Spanish (which I find irritating to say the least).
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
I learned most of my Spanish from an Argentinian lady I know from Facebook. Family won't teach me Spanish (which I find irritating to say the least).
She needs to teach you to use "usted" instead of "vos." You are not close enough to people to be using "vos" which is rude and informal.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Quote:
She needs to teach you to use "usted" instead of "vos." You are not close enough to people to be using "vos" which is rude and informal.
Sorry, my bad.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:57 AM   #12
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,241.17
Frybread with cinnamon for dessert is more than likely sopaipillas.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla
A bit different than NA frybread.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Last edited by subeeds; 09-02-2014 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: to make link work
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
Frybread with cinnamon for dessert is more than likely sopaipillas.Sopaipilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A bit different than NA frybread.
Doesn't really seem the same, but you might be on the right track. Maybe it's a hybrid of some kind? It is flat instead of having a pocket and being crispy... and I never recall her using honey.

This is the recipe for it:

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 cups all purpose wheat flour
2 tbs canola oil
Mix flour and baking soda, drizzle in oil. Dissolve salt in water. Add water until it all comes together, refrigerate for one hour, form into large-egg size balls, and roll them out between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Try to get them 1-3 mm thick. Poke a hole in the middle, fry in hot oil just like regular frybread, dust with cinnamon sugar when it's fresh out of the oil.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 59,483.64
That looks a lot like my friends sopapilla recipe, except for the soda rather than powder.

In all likelihood, it's flat rather than puffy because of the delay in cooking. Baking soda releases the CO2 pretty much immediately upon mixing with the acidic liquid ingredients (H2O counts in this case). Most baking powders sold in the US are double acting. You get a immediate acid/base rxn induced generation of CO2 and a thermal decomp. release during baking.

If you changed that 1/2 tsp NaHCO3 to 1 tsp baking powder (double acting) you'd get the classic sopapilla. (And if you stuffed it with beans, roasted green chiles, and fresh tomatoes a dinner guest :) )

In my experience making doughs for both -- sane people don't let me fry either product -- the addition of oil/lard/Cisco is the big factor that makes a sopapilla rather than fry bread. The milk proteins in most fry breads help the glutenin and gliadin do their gluten forming dance leading to the more toothy texture of fry bread. (Especially fry bread made with dough that has been sitting in the booth all afternoon, LOL.) Fats shorten the protein chains, hence the flakiness.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
That looks a lot like my friends sopapilla recipe, except for the soda rather than powder.

In all likelihood, it's flat rather than puffy because of the delay in cooking. Baking soda releases the CO2 pretty much immediately upon mixing with the acidic liquid ingredients (H2O counts in this case). Most baking powders sold in the US are double acting. You get a immediate acid/base rxn induced generation of CO2 and a thermal decomp. release during baking.

If you changed that 1/2 tsp NaHCO3 to 1 tsp baking powder (double acting) you'd get the classic sopapilla. (And if you stuffed it with beans, roasted green chiles, and fresh tomatoes a dinner guest :) )

In my experience making doughs for both -- sane people don't let me fry either product -- the addition of oil/lard/Cisco is the big factor that makes a sopapilla rather than fry bread. The milk proteins in most fry breads help the glutenin and gliadin do their gluten forming dance leading to the more toothy texture of fry bread. (Especially fry bread made with dough that has been sitting in the booth all afternoon, LOL.) Fats shorten the protein chains, hence the flakiness.
I actually make a frybread that is flaky (not this)... It was probably invented to use up extra veggies in the summer as it works with lots of them... It's kinda dessert-y but good with spicy food. It has butter in the dough along with mashed cooked vegetables or fruit (pumpkin, yams, carrots, etc), sugar, milk, baking powder, egg, and flour. Do you think it goes in the Frybread classification or Sopapilla? It has a texture like those super-flaky biscuits you can get in mom and pop restaurants down south. (I shared this recipe in the thread requesting a pumpkin frybread recipe.)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 59,483.64
Every culture that had cookware that can take hot grease and some kind flour makes a fried dough, sweet or savory, with or without fillings or syrups:

Youtiao (China), dau chao quay (Vietnam), akara (West Africa), chakoi (Maylasia), beignet (France/New Orleans), bhatoora (India), sufganiyah (Israel), vetkoek (South Africa), mutzenmandeln (Germany), lokam (Turkey), luchi (Bangladesh), Paczki (Poland), klejne (denmark)...

In many parts of the world these calorie dense foods are necessary. They don't require fussy bacteria to rise. They can be chemically leavened. Or even unleavened. The speed of preparation is a plus.

And they just taste dang good!
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #17
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 114,896.76
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Every culture that had cookware that can take hot grease and some kind flour makes a fried dough, sweet or savory, with or without fillings or syrups:

Youtiao (China), dau chao quay (Vietnam), akara (West Africa), chakoi (Maylasia), beignet (France/New Orleans), bhatoora (India), sufganiyah (Israel), vetkoek (South Africa), mutzenmandeln (Germany), lokam (Turkey), luchi (Bangladesh), Paczki (Poland), klejne (denmark)...

In many parts of the world these calorie dense foods are necessary. They don't require fussy bacteria to rise. They can be chemically leavened. Or even unleavened. The speed of preparation is a plus.

And they just taste dang good!

You didn't add Gabooboo bread to your list, OLC!
alumphfres, windanncer and subeeds like this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #18
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 114,896.76
Savings: 1.00
Or Bannock bread. lol
windanncer and DeafElderWoman like this.
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #19
Powwow Grandmother

DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,566.41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Or Bannock bread. lol
I love Canadian Bannock frybread and also scone which is a little bit different type of frybread. Mostly it is the Bannock which actually taste good.

DeafElderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Corn Frybread is pretty good too come to think of it. Basically consists of fine hominy flour, water, and salt; deep fried. If you roll it out thin enough, it will puff up with steam when you fry it. Good with beans (but what isn't lol).
Sponsored Links