Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Shot in the dark Shot in the dark

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
Part time beadworker...

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Shot in the dark

Okay so here is my shot in the dark. I have kind of been doing some simple genealogy on my own and I had kind of hit a dead end. I am trying to find some more information on an ancestor named August Cloquet who was born around 1831 in Red River, now I don't know if this is Red River Canada or Minnesota. He was an Ojibwa person and went to California and then came up to Washington and married one of my grandmothers who was a Cowlitz person. If you know anything or have any advice please let me know.
*Powwow_Princess* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Powwow_Princess* View Post
Okay so here is my shot in the dark. I have kind of been doing some simple genealogy on my own and I had kind of hit a dead end. I am trying to find some more information on an ancestor named August Cloquet who was born around 1831 in Red River, now I don't know if this is Red River Canada or Minnesota. He was an Ojibwa person and went to California and then came up to Washington and married one of my grandmothers who was a Cowlitz person. If you know anything or have any advice please let me know.

How do you know Red River?

Also, have you checked for his name on the 1850 federal census records? Or on the 1860 Federal census records? Was he Indian? Or are you not sure? That name appears to be French to me, but then I could be wrong.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, I found an August Cloquet on the 1900 Federal Census records living in Little Falls, WA and it shows that he was age 70 and that he was born in MN. His wife was Cecila, and they had 3 children in the household, one son and two daughter's and they had originally 11 children total. Is that them? There is also a Eugene Cloquet on the same census in the same area and it shows that he was born in WA and he was aged 20, so the family might have been in WA by 1880. and the son living in their home--Augustus age 24 was also listed as being born in WA. Are these the ones?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Okay, wow do I see the problem. They butchered that last name on the 1880 Census. But they are there and listed. Did you get their marriage record? It might show there.

In 1880 is shows he was born in CA, but in 1870, again, it shows that he was born in Minnesota. And it shows that they got married around 1874/1875--sometime around there. So lets see what the 1860 census finds here and how bad they've butchered the name on that one too.LOL

Last edited by timmy tiger; 01-12-2010 at 03:28 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #5
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Well, the 1860 Census was really no help. I found someone close, but I don't believe that it's him at all and he's in IA.

Now, have you gotten his death cert? That might list his parents names and that might give you a clue as to who and where to look for them as well and track him that way.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
How do you know Red River?

Also, have you checked for his name on the 1850 federal census records? Or on the 1860 Federal census records? Was he Indian? Or are you not sure? That name appears to be French to me, but then I could be wrong.
Hey TT... Cloquet is probably of French origin, but the French did a lot of intermarrying here in Ojibwe country which is why a lot of NDNs in these parts have last names of French origin. Does that make sense??
Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopashinaab View Post
Hey TT... Cloquet is probably of French origin, but the French did a lot of intermarrying here in Ojibwe country which is why a lot of NDNs in these parts have last names of French origin. Does that make sense??
Thanks Soopa, yeah I kind of did know that. I have many friends who are ojib and more have French names then any other.LOL

It was more along the lines of that that's not a common name and maybe trying to track down a ships passenger list and see where they came in at and then could possible track where they went from there. Or even the possibility of French Canadian, but I don't think that was that much back in the early 1800's, I think that came along later--not totally sure about Canada, myself.LOL

But after looking at the Census' and seeing how it was spelled differently all the times, it's not going to be all that easy, but not impossible either.

Daniel Rupp wrote an awesome book on Ships passenger lists and although he doesn't list each family member, he does hit each family name that's on a certain passenger list, the name of the ship, the captain of the ship, when they left and where they left from and when they arrived and where they arrived. It's pretty neat and he makes it easy to find the rest from there. And it does cover the early 1800's. Also, being that it's a French name, look for the French Huegonot's and even the Revolutionary war records to see if you can find that last name somewhere. These might all be leads that could get you to where you're going. Just some of my thoughts on this.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
Part time beadworker...

*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute*Powwow_Princess* has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your help. I have a lot of info on him and his decendants, I am trying to find info on his side of the family, his parents, grandparents etc. That is where I hit a dead end in that side of the family, it just ends at him. I know that Cloquet is of French origin and I was told he was Ojibwa Metis. I read some kind of information somewhere that said he was born in Red River, but I cannot remember where now.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Powwow_Princess* View Post
Thanks for your help. I have a lot of info on him and his decendants, I am trying to find info on his side of the family, his parents, grandparents etc. That is where I hit a dead end in that side of the family, it just ends at him. I know that Cloquet is of French origin and I was told he was Ojibwa Metis. I read some kind of information somewhere that said he was born in Red River, but I cannot remember where now.
That's why I asked if you have his death cert. 'Cause that might lead you to his parents. The purpose of knowing the children is to verify that you have the right one when you are looking them up. You need to go backwards and get his death cert, then his marriage cert and one of them might lead you to where he was actually born and who his parents were.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Part time beadworker...

I think I understand why the census lists him as being born in CA, I think it was just a mistake on the census taker's part because he did live in CA for a period of time (story is he was trying to find gold). My family is adamint though that he was born in MN in a place called Red River. How do I go about getting a death cert? Excuse my newness...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Head Dancer

Items Cake
To get his death cert you first need to know where he died and approx when. Then call that county office and see if they have the death cert and what it would cost you to get it. Depending on when he died the cert can be held at one of several different places. Some state's carry those records at the state capital, and some keep them at the county level. After around 1908-1911 most all records of birth and death are held either at the Vital Stat's office or at the local health dept. You could try those places or call the county clerk of courts in the county that he died in and ask them, that's usually what I do.LOL

Don't worry about being new. We've all been new at one time or another.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
Part time beadworker...

Thanks, I will update when I can.
Sponsored Links