PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Ancestry and Genealogy (http://forums.powwows.com/f114/)
-   -   why is there no.... (http://forums.powwows.com/f114/why-there-no-67039/)

aiahninchi ohoyo 01-07-2013 09:34 PM

why is there no....

halito
well i guess im gonna be controversial right outta the box....here goes
i am non-tribally affiliated choctaw by way of the folsom family
my ggg aunt emeline folsom robinson was 'registered' while her sister, my ggg grandmother, malinda folsom dean was not...for some unremembered reason, she chose to live 'white', marrying robert dean, having several children including my great great grandmother, go to oregon and live her life...
my question is, why, are we who are native, yet not 'official' still to an extent still shunned by those who are 'official'...i have found the cherokees to be particularly susceptible to this behavior...never were welcoming or willing to help me in family genealogy research
however...thank the creator for the choctaw nation...they have welcomed me with open arms, not demanding 'enrollment', blood quantum, etc...etc...etc...
i have never before come across such a sense of equality and welcome-ness
but, i digress....i simply cannot wrap my mind around the behavior behind all the nations who basically do not want to accept all we 'outsiders'...i dont know if it is because we somehow threaten their position with the federal govt, or their
'tribal' status, or what...
does the leadership of these various nations realize the manpower they would add to their political power base by welcoming us all back???
maybe i am just naeve, would like the opinions of others on this to clear the cobwebs of mis understanding...
yakoke....chahta nan chumpa

WoundedBear 01-07-2013 10:09 PM

yes i do my fellow native brother of another mother . cherokee and its five civilized tribes have been funny latly and further regards the responsable for over 14 million non carded indians . i am thankful that i am sioux by blood besides cherokee haveing 2 forms of indian blood is good . i did a write up of my own on cherokee people it set abouve ur post

Zeke 01-08-2013 02:16 AM

Seriously?

Not one capital letter?

I'm not sure tribal recognition should be our primary concern with this thread...

milehighsalute 01-08-2013 04:40 AM

lol give the poor guy a break.....i'm a lower case with occasional typo kinda guy myself haha

Highwolf89 01-08-2013 09:42 AM

Lol first off. Capitalizing FTW. You are not the only one that faces this problem but many natives face this problem it's for the fact that in the older days it was like as being a plague for being native "savage". So many natives hid there heritage so they could get jobs etc. Becoming even more assimilated till the native almost died off. Which I understand many of the tribes that only allow the people that stayed ties with the tribe.. If they allowed everyone that claimed to be then non natives in America would be affiliate with a tribe. But I have heard of some tribes accepting members based on DNA test. An elder once told me its not about what's on paper but in your heart. But the sad part still remains a lot of people just want to be affiliated with a tribe just for the fact of some of the benefits. So it really had nothing to do with government power or anything . Hope this helps and answers your question

aiahninchi ohoyo 01-08-2013 11:56 AM

halito

to begin and to clarify
i am a 65 year old musician, writer, artist, teacher, student, and GRANDMOTHER...
just dont use 'caps' in anything i write becuz its quicker to type without hitting the 'caps lock' button every time
i appreciate all the answers...in my world, its still not fair to keep all we non-enrolled outside looking thru the window, wanting to 'come home'...and i agree...what you are is in your heart, not on a piece of paper...i have known since i hit the ground that i was not white, even tho there are europeans in the folsom family from then til now

Chevy_truckin_NDN 01-08-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chahta nan chumpa (Post 1554968)
halito
does the leadership of these various nations realize the manpower they would add to their political power base by welcoming us all back???

I never did see any tribe have the political power you are referring to....correct me if I am wrong. If your choctaw, why are you worried about the cherokees? Maybe it wasn't that "tribe" but the just the people you dealt with that are in a bad mood when you call? Have you considered that? As for how us enrolled members treat everyone...well I treat everyone just the same...:lol: :tapedshut. I guess I should take some things seriously, but I don't...just my 7 cents worth...

milehighsalute 01-08-2013 12:20 PM

i live in denver....a hotbed of injun politics.....and i usually dont question anyone unless they they are stupid and i would like to invalidate them even more than their stupidity already has

look at my thread on eliase GAYwolf and his militant native group.... some people deserve to have their covers pulled

other than that i usually treat people the same but sometimes do feel i need to take extra care to take care of my own rather than shunning others

example...i work a school......we have very few legit indian kids that come trough the doors.....BUT when we do i treat them extra good and feel extra close with most of them.....but that dont mean i shun non-native kids and families

WoundedBear 01-08-2013 04:25 PM

Some native's could give less about tribe benefits its the card that say ur native and warm feeling of belonging and the honor of being back plus knowing u can enjoy your heritage as a native and wear a breach cloth as ur ancestors did .ps as u can tell first second I get my cdib I buying my self 7 pairs of breach cloths and wearing them along with my deer skin shirt and mocs and no one be able to tell me I can't wear them so there for cdib or not it is my god given right as a Native American Indian and as soon as I get moved to Oklahoma I will have breach cloth in summer

wardancer 01-08-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoundedBear (Post 1555017)
Some native's could give less about tribe benefits its the card that say ur native and warm feeling of belonging and the honor of being back plus knowing u can enjoy your heritage as a native and wear a breach cloth as ur ancestors did .ps as u can tell first second I get my cdib I buying my self 7 pairs of breach cloths and wearing them along with my deer skin shirt and mocs and no one be able to tell me I can't wear them so there for cdib or not it is my god given right as a Native American Indian and as soon as I get moved to Oklahoma I will have breach cloth in summer

Well , that might get you arrested !:lol:You'll have to ask @Zeke, he's from that area !

milehighsalute 01-08-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoundedBear (Post 1555017)

just make sure your underwear is clean with that breechcloth

Zeke 01-09-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardancer (Post 1555026)
Well , that might get you arrested !:lol:You'll have to ask @Zeke, he's from that area !

Folks can wear what they want but it spares none from ridicule if they are ridiculous.

Highwolf89 01-09-2013 08:01 AM

You know I agree with seek but at the same time has technology evolved us that much that there will be no return to the old ways have we evolved so much from technology that it steals us from connecting with the earth being fair to the earth. For hunting for instance a bow and arrow and a gun. A gun takes away skills and allowing the animal a fighting chance it takes the balance out of life's circle in a way but a bow something made by Hand something takes skills something older then all of us on this earth allows there to be more connection call me old fashion sometimes I feel I was born 200 years to late. But I still see this world getting thrown into the past because I believe at one point we won't be able to eat our computers our TVs our technology. But don't get me wrong I love technology I grew up with it I am considered in the technology era. But it doesn't mean we can't remain true to the past but we should not feel stupid about what feels right what we feel is right in our own hearts. I may have contradicted myself but that is all right lol :)) just my thought

Toolbox 01-09-2013 01:37 PM

You know if you wear something in public that exposes your genitals you will be arrested for indecent exposure. No CDIB or any other paper is going to spare you from that. You may want to visit the area you are moving to and see what the people there wear day to day.

lbgood 01-09-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1555063)
You know if you wear something in public that exposes your genitals you will be arrested for indecent exposure. No CDIB or any other paper is going to spare you from that. You may want to visit the area you are moving to and see what the people there wear day to day.

Sounds like you learned that lesson the hard way, I was always wondering why you were in jail!
:tapedshut:hysterica:lol_hitti:pointlaug

Toolbox 01-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgood (Post 1555065)
I learned that lesson the hard way, in case you were wondering why I was in jail!
:tapedshut:hysterica:lol_hitti:pointlaug

We weren't wondering, we all saw your story on CNN.

lbgood 01-09-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1555069)
We weren't wondering, we all saw your story on CNN.

ANd yet you resort to editing, yet AGAIN!!!
But TOO late, you were burned!!!!

CandaePrincess 01-09-2013 06:05 PM

wow.....

we don't wear breach cloths in Oklahoma.....and those that try to dance around in them aren't looked upon very highly either.

just saying.......

and it's pretty cold right now to be trying to do that. :P

Toolbox 01-09-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgood (Post 1555071)
ANd yet you resort to editing, yet AGAIN!!!
But TOO late, you were burned!!!!

Of course I did silly Billy.

Elo Janis 01-09-2013 08:31 PM

Pardon my ignorance on tribal regalia but what is a 'breach cloth'. I think I know the answer ;) but don't want to take anything for granted seeing as I am a big city NDN.