Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeremyRay

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Ancestry and Genealogy Williams family....I'm stuck! Williams family....I'm stuck!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Champion Dancer

Items SwordTreasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 25,823.83
Savings: 0.00
Williams family....I'm stuck!

Does anyone have Williams in their family line?
My GGgrandmother was Mary C. Williams born 22 Nov 1859-married William D. Herbaugh/Hurbaugh on 31 Jan 1884. The marriage record is in Shenandoah County, Virginia. Her father is listed as Jackson Williams and mother Almira Bauserman. I found on the 1860 census as being listed as Mulatto, father Jas Williams in Augusta, Virginia....not sure if this is the same but she was 1 year old then. On the 1910 census my Ggrandmother, Fannie Edna Herbaugh, is listed as 15 years old and Mary, her mother, as divorced.

I was told by my great aunt which is Fannie's daughter that my GGgrandmother was full-blood Cherokee. She told me I would never find anything on paper which is true I haven't found anything as of yet and have been searching for years.

As far as I know they were all from Cedar Creek, Virginia.

Thanks for any help anyone has to offer!
Stands Alone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
Okay, first of all according to both the Fed Gov and the tribes the Cherokee were our of VA long before 1850's so if there were any who remained then they left the tribe. Just letting you know that. The Cherokee's, through a Treaty with the gov, ceded their lands in VA just after the Rev War, and that was long before 1850.

Have you tried looking through old Shenandoah Co history books? Many libraries have old history and record books where someone had gone into old courthouses and copied the records and published them. Many libraries carry them. Also, try the Shenandoah Co. Archives many counties have an Archives through their library or a historical Society that might have a lot of old records there as well. And the same with Augusta County, VA as well.

You said your Ggrandma was listed as "Divorced" in 1910, get that divorce record. They should have it at the Courthouse, or be able to tell you where it is and who has it so you can get a copy of it and see what was what and where she married.

Another place to look, if they were always in that County and area, check old Church records, some of those will go back a long way and some are very detailed to the member's of their church. Not all are that way, but some very much are.

Hope this helps and good luck.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Champion Dancer

Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
I found my Ggrandmother on the 1900 census, but that is as far as I can go back looking in Va.....I have spent hours looking in different states but no luck so far! I found that my GGgrandmother's father was a confederate soldier but I can't find where he was buried, her mother remarried found her second marriage records but can't find her first.

I will keep searching, been doing it for years!

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stands Alone View Post
I found my Ggrandmother on the 1900 census, but that is as far as I can go back looking in Va.....I have spent hours looking in different states but no luck so far! I found that my GGgrandmother's father was a confederate soldier but I can't find where he was buried, her mother remarried found her second marriage records but can't find her first.

I will keep searching, been doing it for years!

Thanks for the info!
Keep in mind that divorces replace marriage information. Try looking at the county level where she obtained her divorce. Prior to her divorce being granted, she would have had to submit her marriage certificate to the court. The Decree Absolute would have been inserted where her marriage certificate would have been.

Also try looking in local church records. Many folks back then got married by calling banns. These would have been published in the church service paper. Banns had to be published three times prior to the marriage. It acted in lieu of a marriage licence in some states/provinces. The church would have those records.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Champion Dancer

I can't find anyone before 1850 census, any suggestions on where to look now?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Champion Dancer

I found this article in "Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative" Feb.2012 issue:

"Virginia's First People" by Jim Mason, Contributing Writer

{quote} In the 17th century, many Virginia Indians died from smallpox and measles before they developed immunity to the disease brought by English colonists.
A different kind of threat-identity theft-hit Virginia's Indians in the 20th century. Walter Ashby Plecker, who ran the state's Bureau of Vital Statistics from 1912 until 1946, decided that Indians, whether full-blooded or of mixed race, wouldn't be identified as Indians. Moreover, in 1924, Virginia's legislature passed the Racial Integrity Act, a law that imposed strict segregation in society and in state records. All Virginians were either "white" or "colored".

Anyone else know of this?

I still have not found anything, but I found out the other day that my aunt was also told of the ndn blood so I plan to get with her and find out what she knows.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Champion Dancer

Sorry forgot to put end quote after "colored".
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Champion Dancer

Siblings of Mary Williams

Sarah E. Williams b. 1874(approx)
married 29 May 1892 (age 18) in Shenandoah County, Virginia
Isaac J. Peer

Fannie B. Williams b. 1887 (approx)
married 6 Oct. 1887 (age 19) in Shenandoah County, Virginia
George W. Herbaugh

James N. Williams b. 1870 (approx)
married 17 July 1891 (age 20) in Shenandoah County, Virginia
Fannie McClure

Joseph Westall Williams b. 22 Mar 1865 d. 22 Mar 1939
married 18 Oct 1885 (age 19)
Capitolia Larathe Eskridge

Margaret Williams b. 1862(approx)
married 9 Oct 1881 (age 19)
George J. Lichstampfer

William Thomas Williams b. 1862 (approx)
married 14 Mar 1886
Elizabeth Ann Strosnider

I think her siblings except for Joseph left the area but I don't know where they went.
If anyone has any of these in their family line please contact me!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

JeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 234.43
None of your information matches with mine, but I have a great grandmother Viola Williams who I am told was a full blooded Cherokee from a reservation in Oklahoma. I have not been able to find information on my Viola, but there are a few other Viola Williams on the Dawes Rolls. It's likely most of her family's descendants are still on the reservation. I'm told they were when my uncles visited them as kids which would have been - in the 50's or 60's.

If nothing else I can confirm that Williams and Cherokee do go together. There ought to be more replies to this thread - I know the William's Cherokees are out there. If they fit with the rest of the family they may be too contrary to talk to you though.
JeremyRay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Champion Dancer

I don't understand! If there are Williams out there what would be their reasoning to not talk to me? I only want to confirm Cherokee blood line, most of my relatives deny NA blood!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

JeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond reputeJeremyRay has a reputation beyond repute
Just a joke. I've heard good things about the ones in Oklahoma but the last contact my family had with them was decades ago.

I would "guess" the Williams are partly of white descent. I've got a census record which states my great grandmother's father was born in England. It's possible you have a Cherokee relative who was not Native American. On the other hand, I've got some Native features and I don't know where else they could have come from but my great grandmother, who was a Williams.
Stands Alone likes this.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
Champion Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyRay View Post
None of your information matches with mine, but I have a great grandmother Viola Williams who I am told was a full blooded Cherokee from a reservation in Oklahoma. I have not been able to find information on my Viola, but there are a few other Viola Williams on the Dawes Rolls. It's likely most of her family's descendants are still on the reservation. I'm told they were when my uncles visited them as kids which would have been - in the 50's or 60's.

If nothing else I can confirm that Williams and Cherokee do go together. There ought to be more replies to this thread - I know the William's Cherokees are out there. If they fit with the rest of the family they may be too contrary to talk to you though.
I have seen the name Viola before but it has been years & right now all the research I did is boxed...I've just moved on with my life & pretty much gave up on finding a connection. I was never looking in the first place so that I could receive monies from any tribe, I was looking for acceptance in myself because I didn't know anything about having Cherokee blood until I was 35 years old. Life goes on!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stands Alone View Post
I have seen the name Viola before but it has been years & right now all the research I did is boxed...I've just moved on with my life & pretty much gave up on finding a connection. I was never looking in the first place so that I could receive monies from any tribe, I was looking for acceptance in myself because I didn't know anything about having Cherokee blood until I was 35 years old. Life goes on!
I've found a couple Viola Williams on the Dawes Rolls. Or rather, I found one that I thought was mine, but a relative found another one that they think is our Viola. I haven't been able to give it any time myself recently, but I could dig that part out.

Do you believe you're descended from Viola?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #14
Champion Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyRay View Post
I've found a couple Viola Williams on the Dawes Rolls. Or rather, I found one that I thought was mine, but a relative found another one that they think is our Viola. I haven't been able to give it any time myself recently, but I could dig that part out.

Do you believe you're descended from Viola?
Viola may have been a popular name and that is why I have seen the name before. If you get the chance to dig out your info and want to share it with me we can see if there is a connection.
Sponsored Links