PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Weight Loss (http://forums.powwows.com/f115/)
-   -   2013 Denver March Powwow Diet (http://forums.powwows.com/f115/2013-denver-march-powwow-diet-66700/)

wyo_rose 10-11-2012 12:22 PM

2013 Denver March Powwow Diet

I figured this year I better get a head start...none of this waiting until a month before. And who knows...maybe this year I'll take all my grandkids down and we'll all dance.

Here's my starting weight: XXX (if anybody wants the number, PM me LOL)
Goal: -40#
Additional goal: Being able to dance the entire grand entry!

Input: 10 cups of water daily
Vitamins
No more than 20 gm. carbs
1 oz - 4 oz good fat per meal
2 - 4 Servings veggies/low carb fruit per meal

Output: 20 - 60 minutes of low intensity sustained exercise per day
Strength training every other day (heavy, low reps)
High intensity cardio every other day (short bursts)
Weekly day of rest

Feel free to follow along, comment, join in some kind of program/goal, or just ignore me.

Toolbox 10-11-2012 01:42 PM

Do ladder drills, they are loads fun. I did them the other day and I'm sore as all heck but it will make all the difference next powwow season.

I've cut out soda but to maybe once a week and thats only because unsweetened tea and water get boring. I don't add any additional butter or salt to food anymore and I snack on black olives, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers at night instead of sweets. I do add sugar to my coffee though.

Unfortunately I won't be making it to Denver March or GON this, I have to save my vacation days for my wedding, honeymoon and trip to Anadarko next fall. I will be at some of the big university powwows. The same diet and exercise routines still apply.

wyo_rose 10-11-2012 02:29 PM

Oh, ladder drills look FUN and great for footwork!

I think I'll start with hopscotch. LOL

The veggie snacks sound good too. If I have them ready, then I won't be tempted to look for unhealthy snacks.

Chevy_truckin_NDN 10-11-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1550860)
Do ladder drills, they are loads fun. I did them the other day and I'm sore as all heck but it will make all the difference next powwow season.

I've cut out soda but to maybe once a week and thats only because unsweetened tea and water get boring. I don't add any additional butter or salt to food anymore and I snack on black olives, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers at night instead of sweets. I do add sugar to my coffee though.

Unfortunately I won't be making it to Denver March or GON this, I have to save my vacation days for my wedding, honeymoon and trip to Anadarko next fall. I will be at some of the big university powwows. The same diet and exercise routines still apply.

tell me your not spending the wedding and honeymoon in Anadarko...I know way off the subject...but GAH...lol :lol::quiet::tapedshut

Toolbox 10-11-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy_truckin_NDN (Post 1550889)
tell me your not spending the wedding and honeymoon in Anadarko...I know way off the subject...but GAH...lol :lol::quiet::tapedshut

NO NO NO! :lol:. Just some paperwork and give aways, ceremony stuff.

lbgood 10-11-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I won't be making it to Denver March or GON this, I have to save my vacation days for my wedding, honeymoon and trip to Anadarko next fall.

I didn’t know that you and G&B decided to finally tie the knot – congrats!

Quote:

Prolly at the Indian City USA Park grounds in Anadarko? LMAO!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1550890)

Kinda like when white people marry they need to get each others credit report and stuff. But G&B is gonna tie you up at the park grounds, build a fire, cross examine you, then put you through the teepee creeping Kama Sutra – if you survive she will marry you ROFLMFAO!!!!

Paul G 10-11-2012 10:03 PM

Ever considered doing couch to 5K?

Wonder if we can get a group doing it?

Toolbox 10-12-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgood (Post 1550891)
I didn’t know that you and G&B decided to finally tie the knot – congrats!

Prolly at the Indian City USA Park grounds in Anadarko? LMAO!!

Kinda like when white people marry they need to get each others credit report and stuff. But G&B is gonna tie you up at the park grounds, build a fire, cross examine you, then put you through the teepee creeping Kama Sutra – if you survive she will marry you ROFLMFAO!!!!

Stop projecting onto me your feelings for G&B. :lol:

It's always good to know the credit standing of the person you are marrying if you plan on jointly buying a house... Silly.

wyo_rose 10-12-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul G (Post 1550918)
Ever considered doing couch to 5K?

Wonder if we can get a group doing it?

YES, let's do it! Cuz right now I am SO COUCH!!! :lol:

Toolbox 10-12-2012 12:15 PM

I'm still sore!

Tell us more about the Couch to 5K.

Paul G 10-12-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1550945)
I'm still sore!

Tell us more about the Couch to 5K.

It's a program to get people ready for a 5K. I've seen lots of churches around here get together and do it.

wyo_rose 10-12-2012 01:38 PM

It looks like it's a 9 week training program to go from being a non-runner to running 3 miles.

You run/walk 3 times a week, increasing the intensity each week...although you can stay at a certain week for any amount of time if you feel the need.

I'll start a thread.

BACK ON TOPIC: :tongue: I've been sticking to a modified Paleo, drinking more water and will weigh in on Monday to track progress.

Some good things on the menu:
Breakfast: besides my daily veggie omelet, this morning I had an egg foo yung omelet(chop suey veggies and shrimp mixed in with the eggs and topped with fermented soy sauce-Kikkomen) Tomorrow I'm having creamed eggs (chopped hard boiled eggs with cream)

Lunch: Homemade chili with no beans with "I can't believe it's not cornbread"(recipe is posted here somewhere), jambalaya sans rice, coleslaw made with coconut milk, lime juice, vinegar, mustard (instead of milk/mayo), Taco salad, Grilled chicken salad

Dinner: fresh/frozen/grilled veggies, grilled/fried hamburger, chicken breast, fish, steak, pork chop If I fry my meat, I mix cream in with the pan drippings for a wonderful gravy to pour over the veggies. I got a bunch of bell peppers, so this weekend the plan is for stuffed peppers with ground meat, mixed with diced tomatoes, onions, peppers, topped with tomato sauce.

Haven't exercised yet, cuz I've been so sick. But the plan is to start this evening.

Lakota_winyan 10-15-2012 05:11 PM

hi when is denver march? 21 weeks? ..get to the exercise wyo. I think that is the most difficult part because you really have to be committed to that part of your weight loss...trying but haven't really lost any yet..:sad_smile but yeah I'll try this..see how it goes..my weekly goal is: 200 mins of exercise whether its elliptical, treadmill, walking etc. 1500 calories and 40 fat grams? so yeah would love to hear recipies that are low cal and o fat grams...my usual stuff m-f is oatmeal w toast no butter coffee(black) lunch: soup(varieties) low fat yogurt fruit water and supper I try to save my fg & calories for then. :wink_smil okay so here goes...I'll probably do my progress on fridays..lets hope...

wyo_rose 10-15-2012 06:03 PM

Good luck to you...BUT you may have to rethink your diet.

I know that everybody's body is different and each body has different needs at various stages in life...so I know there's no 1 size fits all....I know this too well. :lol:

BUT much research has shown that low-fat is not the way to lose weight.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-...-healthy-safe/
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0912084430.htm

But whatever works for you!

My progress:

I'm down 4 pounds from Thursday, but it may be the initial water weight.
Did 20 minutes on the treadmill, and one Tabata set of kettlebells this morning.
Shooting for 20 minutes of walking this week MWF, and kettlebells and maybe Tabata ellipticals on Tues/Thurs/Sat

tonepahhoter1 10-15-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

IKR...Anadarko is kinda rough LOL...specially with the roaming Kiowas...Haven't been out there in a while...missing the Tonepahhote Clan :shades_sm

tonepahhoter1 10-15-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

You gots an issue with red dirt? LMFAO...sure your snot will be black and everything covered in dust...that's ok...wait until you dance in it and it is all in your moccs...Lisa Koomsa is nice though...she will push paperwork through...hopefully your woman's fam will treat ya good...specially, if you do want to take her last name...:gatherin::group000::dazzler:

tonepahhoter1 10-15-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

IKR...tomatoes are good though...so are olives

wyo_rose 11-13-2012 06:18 PM

Wow, a month later and I'm still limping around. However, I think I have my diet on track, was able to do some kettlebell workouts (beginners), and can walk okay on straight, flat surfaces.

So I'm down about 13 pounds since starting and hope to be approaching goal by the end of the year..however that goal may change!! LOL

I don't know how I'm sticking to my diet and not cheating, other than that I'm super busy, keeping a few "acceptable" foods on hand, making a lot of dishes from scratch, and am feeling less stress in my personal and professional lives. :tongue:

Plus I'm motivated, not only to be able to give it a shot at dancing at Denver March, but maybe looking better in a dress. :lol:

milehighsalute 11-16-2012 11:47 PM

i live here in denver....i better get crackin on my regalia i wanna dance too

Quafeet 11-17-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

So, tell me how to do these ladder drills please!