Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Health Issues > Weight Loss Weight loss Weight loss

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chet69 is a splendid one to beholdchet69 is a splendid one to beholdchet69 is a splendid one to beholdchet69 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 334.96
Savings: 0.00
Weight loss

Here's another issue that I think effects many native Americans both young and old.

I'm currently trying the Special K diet with most breakfasts consisting of a bowl of Special K and a cup of coffee w/equal. Lunch is a bowl of Quaker Oats w/coffee.

Dinner is something I normally eat.

I started to get way too much fat around my belly and it snowed so much I didn't feel like doing any jogging after work etc. Now it's warmer here so I've gotten back into that.

The combination of diet and exercise has started to take effect but I have to keep it up for a couple of months to see the real results show up.

Is anyone else doing something like this?
chet69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

RinLou is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Weight struggle

I, too struggle with my weight. "They" say that Natives are more prone to weight struggle due to someting in our genetice makeup (I confess I forgot the technical term).
But, Basically when the Europeans came over they introduced to our ancestors a completely different type of food. The Native's bodies were not used to this and began to behave in almost a "starvation/survival" mode, hanging onto every bit of fat it consumed (The body's biological defense mechanism against starvation).
Because of this it became part of our genetics, as our bodies still biologically and ancestoraly cling to fat in preparation of famine. They say it will take 10 (?) generations to "breed" out and for our genes to return to normal.
However, I say when we throw in the latest bout of foreign food (gentically altered, loaded w/ perservatives, synthetic, etc) We face an uphill battle, indeed my friend.
I've decided to start buying locally, reading labels (if I can't pronounce it neither can my liver) and trying to pay more attention to the quality (not quantity) of calories and, of course, exercise.
I know it's old school, but I like to rock Richard Simmons in the winter; He always tells you your pretty while you sweat.
Let me know your progress, I would like to share (especially for motivation purposes) :)
RinLou is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Lisandro is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 193.86
Well if you want to reduce weight and fit forever so eat low calorie food diet and daily exercising is the best way to decrease weight. The exercise such as yoga, cycling and running are the good to reduce weight. Do these exercise every day.Drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea every day.Drink a lot of water avoid eating oily food, fast food.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Agley is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 175.32
Hey guys,I am agree with all reviews about the weight loss.
According to me that we should be keep maintain of the body
weight.Some tips are so good for the weight loss....
1. Early morning drinking water
2. Early morning walk
3. Excise work
4. Vegetarian foods
5. Drink water...
Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agley View Post
Hey guys,I am agree with all reviews about the weight loss.
According to me that we should be keep maintain of the body
weight.Some tips are so good for the weight loss....
1. Early morning drinking water
2. Early morning walk
3. Excise work
4. Vegetarian foods
5. Drink water...
Hi Agley, is English your second language? You have some very good ideas...except for #4. Lean meat helps many lose weight...and animals are tasty. :)

Thank you for posting!
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
fhawpe

Super foods?

I am trying to learn more about "super foods", I am wondering if anyone has any advice of what foods are healthiest to eat concerning weight loss. I know nuts and veggies and foods like eggs are good, anything else?
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,250.70
Savings: 1.00
I have a friend in Santa Clara Pueblo who is trying a Pre-European Diet. I think it's neat. Anyone else heard of it?

BTW...bought a new treadmill, and it was finally delivered yesterday. I can't wait to put it all together and start walking on it!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_miss View Post
I have a friend in Santa Clara Pueblo who is trying a Pre-European Diet. I think it's neat. Anyone else heard of it?

BTW...bought a new treadmill, and it was finally delivered yesterday. I can't wait to put it all together and start walking on it!!
I have been on that diet for several months. I lost, steadily almost 50 lbs. I'm right now where I want to be. I haven't stopped the diet, it's just that after I got where I needed to be, I stopped losing. But that's okay because I love the food!!

It's a really good diet. I'm thinking NDNs really shouldn't eat European food...although that does mean no fry bread, but really, I don't miss it any more. I'm thoroughly used to it, and I no longer crave sweets. I do allow myself some maple syrup if I needed a little sweetening, but I'm on the same bottle I had several months ago when I started the diet and it is still more than half full.

I'm a believer. It feels so good to be at my proper weight. It makes me feel like doing more active things! I hope you'll try it. I'm thinking a lot of European food is just bad for us.

Good luck on the treadmill. I really didn't exercise much more than walking a little more than usual. So walking might be good for you too! I didn't do a lot of extra physical stuff and still lost a lot of weight just cutting out European food.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
What are the natural fat burning foods that you are eating?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,162.00
Savings: 569.25
Here's what I've been doing, this may or may not help others, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to put it out there.
Physical:
Bikram Yoga, 90 mins, 2-3x per week, often after weights training. This is for flexibility, balance, and to maintain my joints, otherwise none of the rest of the exercise would be possible.
Martial arts, I practice two disciplines and attend two classes each per week, but train every day as I find time.
Cardio: Running 5k every morning (up at 4:30am for this), interspersed with HIIT and FARTLEK (yes, funny word) training for explosive power and endurance (important in martial arts).
Weights: heavy weights, 3x per week. I don't fool around in the gym with this, just get in, warm up for 7-10 mins, then lift. Shouldn't take longer than 45 mins including rests.

Nutrition:
I actually did a the math to figure out my daily calories and macronutrients ratios. My Rest Day calories are about 1800, my Work day calories are around 2000, but can go higher if needed. Right now I'm cutting weight for the summer, so my Macronutrients ratios are 25/40/35, meaning that my total daily intake of food is broken up into 25% carbs, 40% protein, 35% fats. I eat 5 meals per day to prevent having hunger pangs which might encourage me to snack on unhealthy things, and I try to eat the bulk of my carbs for my post workout meal. My diet is vegetarian, and mostly decolonized, but I have to make sure to eat Vegis that are high in iron and take iron supplements. It is possible to be healthy on such a diet.

My weight when I started my long road to restoring my health topped out at 185, and I walked with a cane because of some injuries. My fat to muscle ratio was ridiculous. Now I weigh 145, but I have plenty of muscle. My cutting goal for this summer is 136, but I won't go any lower than that.

I hope that helps somebody who is wondering where to start. Feel free to ask questions.

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2014, 03:11 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

justin741 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 129.25
Hi...!
Vegetables and fruits are best for weight loss.Natural products like Avocados and green tea are very helpful in fat burning.

Last edited by justin741; 06-07-2014 at 08:27 AM..
justin741 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links