Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 1 Post By White Powwow Dancer
  • 4 Post By wardancer
  • 3 Post By AmigoKumeyaay
  • 3 Post By LISA IRONMAKER
  • 4 Post By milehighsalute
  • 3 Post By LISA IRONMAKER

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing All about Traditional Jingle Dress Dancing.. All about Traditional Jingle Dress Dancing..

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
squirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 254.12
Savings: 0.00
All about Traditional Jingle Dress Dancing..

Hi everyone. I am in need of some serious education.

First off, let me start off by saying that ....
-I am Half Ojibwe (fathers side)
-a quarter Cayuga (Moms side)
-and a quarter Irish (Mom)

We aren't traditional. My mom was raised in the longhouse and had a racist experience and never returned and she didn't fully carry out the teachings to my brother and I. My father wasn't in the picture so I do not know a thing about my Ojiwe side, which I am now on a journey to learning the traditional ways (long story) and living them.

I had a dream that I was dancing Old Style Jingle... I wasn't wearing a dress, but I was dancing at my grandpas house on the rez and my aunt said, "Nice dancing, Jess... Make sure that when you get your dress, it's calf length." then my dream ended... Then last night, I had another dream that I was dancing Old Style Jingle again.. But similarly, I wasn't wearing my dress... From what I know about Jingle Dress dancing is that it is a very sacred dance and you have to have a dream of it before you dance it? I don't know... that's what my friend (Mowhak nation) said to me. But now I am learning that you have to have a ceremony for it? And there is sacrifices that you have to make aswell? Like being Sober? ( I am 17 and have absolutely no interest in using drugs and drinking alcohol)

I am so confused. Well, not confused. I am uneducated. I have no knowledge of the traditional way to dance the Jingle Dress Dance.

So my questions are.....

-What is the true History of the Jingle Dress Dance? (There are a lot of stories, but I am curious which one is.. the real one)
-What are the requirements of Jingle Dress Dancing?
-What traditional, ceremonial things do you have to do before you dance?
-What are the rules of Jingle Dress Dancing?
-What does the ceremony consist of? Like how do I do this ceremony?
-Is Jingle Dress Dancing a way of life?
-And also, in traditional, old style Jingle Dress Dancing, what are the requirements of the dress and what else has to be included in the outfit? Like is jewelry required? Is a purse required? etc.

****** Please tell me everything that you know about Old Style Traditional Jingle Dress Dancing?******
squirrelness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,184.91
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelness View Post
Hi everyone. I am in need of some serious education.

First off, let me start off by saying that ....
-I am Half Ojibwe (fathers side)
-a quarter Cayuga (Moms side)
-and a quarter Irish (Mom)

We aren't traditional. My mom was raised in the longhouse and had a racist experience and never returned and she didn't fully carry out the teachings to my brother and I. My father wasn't in the picture so I do not know a thing about my Ojiwe side, which I am now on a journey to learning the traditional ways (long story) and living them.

I had a dream that I was dancing Old Style Jingle... I wasn't wearing a dress, but I was dancing at my grandpas house on the rez and my aunt said, "Nice dancing, Jess... Make sure that when you get your dress, it's calf length." then my dream ended... Then last night, I had another dream that I was dancing Old Style Jingle again.. But similarly, I wasn't wearing my dress... From what I know about Jingle Dress dancing is that it is a very sacred dance and you have to have a dream of it before you dance it? I don't know... that's what my friend (Mowhak nation) said to me. But now I am learning that you have to have a ceremony for it? And there is sacrifices that you have to make aswell? Like being Sober? ( I am 17 and have absolutely no interest in using drugs and drinking alcohol)

I am so confused. Well, not confused. I am uneducated. I have no knowledge of the traditional way to dance the Jingle Dress Dance.

So my questions are.....

-What is the true History of the Jingle Dress Dance? (There are a lot of stories, but I am curious which one is.. the real one)
-What are the requirements of Jingle Dress Dancing?
-What traditional, ceremonial things do you have to do before you dance?
-What are the rules of Jingle Dress Dancing?
-What does the ceremony consist of? Like how do I do this ceremony?
-Is Jingle Dress Dancing a way of life?
-And also, in traditional, old style Jingle Dress Dancing, what are the requirements of the dress and what else has to be included in the outfit? Like is jewelry required? Is a purse required? etc.

****** Please tell me everything that you know about Old Style Traditional Jingle Dress Dancing?******
These words are with a good heart.

Find your family. Don't try to find the answers you are looking for on the internet. If you want to learn the correct way, you are going to sacrifice a lot. Find your family.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,863.22
You should come up to Ojibwe country and talk about the history of jingle dress dancing.
LISA IRONMAKER likes this.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,829.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Powwow Dancer View Post
You should come up to Ojibwe country and talk about the history of jingle dress dancing.
She can't talk about the history , she's trying to learn the history !Kinda like you , can't/shouldn't talk about stuff you know nothing about.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
I wasn't wearing a dress, but I was dancing at my grandpas house on the rez and my aunt said, "Nice dancing, Jess... Make sure that when you get your dress, it's calf length." then my dream ended...

Just like Joe's Dad said - ..in your dream your family was there, go to your grampa's house on the rez and ask.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,182.41
Savings: 2.03
I agree I think you need to get in contact with your grandpa since he is Ojibwe he would be the best teacher for you. He would have the answers you are looking for.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
ok.....if not your family find your local native community....hang out.....LEARN......make friends before ever expressing you would like to dance....then learn the history of the dance....if it was meant to be the community will help you.......if not then they wont

its ok to be brought into powwow by people outside of their family.....i was brought into southern straight by john emhoolah who is of a different tribe

but make sure you go through the proper channels....have the initiation ceremony preferably at a smaller powwow of your own community....and for crissakes have a giveaway

and for the first time WPD is partially right....im still not a fan of his though

but IF time and money permit, look for a powwow in ojibwe territory....watch and LEARN and look for a cultural center to visit....what does that have to do with jingle dress dancing? absolutely NOTHING....but at least familiarize yourself with your people and your traditions before you decide to step in the arena with a jingle dress

Last edited by milehighsalute; 05-28-2014 at 05:02 PM..
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,182.41
Savings: 2.03
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
ok.....if not your family find your local native community....hang out.....LEARN......make friends before ever expressing you would like to dance....then learn the history of the dance....if it was meant to be the community will help you.......if not then they wont

its ok to be brought into powwow by people outside of their family.....i was brought into southern straight by john emhoolah who is of a different tribe

but make sure you go through the proper channels....have the initiation ceremony preferably at a smaller powwow of your own community

and for the first time WPD is partially right....im still not a fan of his though

but IF time and money permit, look for a powwow in ojibwe territory....watch and LEARN and look for a cultural center to visit....what does that have to do with jingle dress dancing? absolutely NOTHING....but at least familiarize yourself with your people and your traditions before you decide to step in the arena with a jingle dress
Well said........
Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #9
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,863.22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
She can't talk about the history , she's trying to learn the history !Kinda like you , can't/shouldn't talk about stuff you know nothing about.
OK wardancer sitting on the side track.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2015, 04:01 AM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

jamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,390.31
Red face Go to family

Go to family find a elder and bring tabaco as an offering. Get all the help you can get. Dream of the dress. Think of the colors cones are rather tin or brass. But as everyone has said find a elder. Ask your family for guidence

Last edited by jamie1980; 11-13-2015 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: Mis spelled word
jamie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links