Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing being carded being carded

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2003, 02:17 PM   #1
hidatsawmn26

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
being carded

heres another topic of discussion....do ya think its wrong for someone to card ya at powwows....full knowing everyone has the right to dance....they say it allabout bllod quantem but what about ppl like my youngest sister who cant get recognized because the year she was born even though shes enough blood quantem...personally i think its wrong to card ppl-becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
~*I wanna pow-wow*~

lakotajingledancer is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
i have been carded a few times & it bothers me a whole bunch.
i hate it,i KNOW im native & like u said they know everyone is able to dance.
but i dont think its right b/c it isnt fair to those n8ive ppl who arent registered.
my grandparents dont beleive in getting registered b/c they say that a long time ago their ppl didnt have to have a card so neither do they.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:01 PM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
_____

This is a good subject.

Carding for tribal IDs is a two bladed sword.

On one side it keeps people who are not Indian (even by their own admission) from competing and winning money in Indian dance contests.

On the other hand . . . I know several people who are full blood but don't have enough blood quantum to qualify for a card. Many other Indian people also don't have tribal ID cards - for one reason or another. So this excludes them.

The remedy is to not attend or support powwows that ask for tribal IDs . . . if it offends you.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

char_f is an unknown quantity at this point
good topic

i have just stated an annual pow-wow here in my neck of the woods, and that was a question that i had...do we ask for tribal id??? or not??? i opted not to ask because i felt that it would be rude, besides that i have children that are dancers, but are not enrolled members because my tribe is "not accepting enrollment applications at this time", and i would hate for anyone to judge my family, based on appearances, to say whether we are native or not.....anyways i could go on and on!!! anyways, we will not card anyone at our "little pow-wow on the prairie"!
char_f is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

simone_maree is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm.... good questions but to tell ya da truth ive never been carded before...........what kinds of powwows do u guys go to that card you??
simone_maree is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2003, 12:10 PM   #6
hidatsawmn26

the jackson,mich powwow cards and pretty much any really big powwow....the tradish powwows they never had carding...yay i dont think its right to card cuz i got a sister and brother who aint registered cuz the aplication date...its a bunch of mumbo jumbo-becca
Old 12-17-2003, 09:19 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

Hachi is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Here we go.......................

The tribal ID was developed as a means of tracking NDN's. Why do we need them anyway nobody else needs a card to say what race they belong to or how much white or black quantum they have. It is really so you can get your commodities more than anything else. Let everybody dance because if you don't it is discrimination and you can be prosecuted for telling people they can't dance...........only the creator knows for sure anyway. What's in your heart & soul. Have you ever seen the story of Little Budah with Keanu Reeves? This might teach us all something.:Thinking
Hachi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
is actually posting!

*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute
A legit and serious question..... I have never been carded, do ya's think it's becuz I'm brown round and greazy? I'm serious, was just wondering if maybe ones who look like NON-ndn only has this problem. Just wondering.
*Kwe_Zee* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2003, 08:55 AM   #9
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by *Kwe_Zee*
A legit and serious question..... I have never been carded, do ya's think it's becuz I'm brown round and greazy? I'm serious, was just wondering if maybe ones who look like NON-ndn only has this problem. Just wondering.
I, too, have this problem. What's up with that. Discrimination is what it is. I've never been asked!! I read on flyers some places that they card and I had mine out and ready. They didn't even ask me. I showed that I had it and they said no, it's okay. I had to force the people who register to look at my card. I shoved it in their face. I felt like leaving then & there but I hung in there. Eventually, she took a quick glance just to please me. Patronizing look is what it was.
I was hurt.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2003, 09:22 AM   #10
NDNBUNZ

Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I went to a few powwows where it was advertised that there was gonna be some carding going on. Like K, I had my card all spit shined up and ready to go. Talkin' bout "And what?"

I have my own feelings about the card. Yes, they are meant to dictate how much blood one needs to be to be eligable for one. But those guidelines are set out by one's Band, not the Government per se. For my Band, you can't be less than 50% to be registered.

As for the dancing, most styles are danced for a reason. These reasons are taught to us. These teachings can only really be understood and respected by a Native person. I just don't understand how a Native person can't get some kind of acknowledgement that they are. I mean, if worse comes to worse, just buy one of those Metis membership cards
Old 12-18-2003, 09:22 AM   #11
What Will Be Will Be

FancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 430.00
I'm kinda light skin but I've never been carded. It's kinda weird, but the times when I've registered with my hair done or partially dressed for comp they don't think twice about it but other times when I've gone to register with tenny shoes and a ponytail, they look like they're not sure to card me or not!
Does this make ndn people descriminate against their own kind because they don't fit the "look" of what they think ndn people look like?

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?
FancyStar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #12
hidatsawmn26

naw even us part natives have the same probs...i think we're more proned to it...but its discrimination like everybudy has to have a paper statin their native... i cant believe its gone to this length where we now have to show who we are jest to dance...why are we the only ppl that gotta show who we are meaning proof? yay im recognized but when my sisters dance it aint fair to them cuz they aint registered cuz the appl. date...the thing is now how or when is this all gonna stop?and what we do to stop it from persisting to where ppl cant attend any powwow cuz they dont got their proof?... i usually get pissed off at the ppl there and jest dont attend those powwows...my sisters were thinkin of pressin law suits against those powwows that card to get this to stop...not with a white lawyer but with a native lawyer...i told them it may not be such a good idea-becca
Old 12-18-2003, 09:36 AM   #13
NDNBUNZ

Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
When it comes to money raised (sometimes all year) by a powwow committee through various activities, and the money is intended for people that represent the dance the best (ok folks I know thats not how it really works all the time, but lets leave politics out of it for a second and talk about the intention) then hell yeah those monies should be going to Native people.

Noone is saying that one can't participate in a powwow because they don't have a card. What they are saying is that one isn't entitled to contest winnings. I wholeheartedly agree with that. Now let's say that a "real" Indian without a card bytches and complains because they can't contest at a few powwow, then I am sorry my friend but I wouldn't even consider them Indian if they don't do it for the love every once in a while.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:38 AM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Dont matter to me. I am Ojib for generations. Brown skin, dark eyes, long dark hair and a jingle dress dancer. They can ask me for my card all they want. But, they don't *LOL* :p

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2003, 09:39 AM   #15
hidatsawmn26

Quote:
Originally posted by Jibby
Yeah I went to a few powwows where it was advertised that there was gonna be some carding going on. Like K, I had my card all spit shined up and ready to go. Talkin' bout "And what?"

I have my own feelings about the card. Yes, they are meant to dictate how much blood one needs to be to be eligable for one. But those guidelines are set out by one's Band, not the Government per se. For my Band, you can't be less than 50% to be registered.

As for the dancing, most styles are danced for a reason. These reasons are taught to us. These teachings can only really be understood and respected by a Native person. I just don't understand how a Native person can't get some kind of acknowledgement that they are. I mean, if worse comes to worse, just buy one of those Metis membership cards
yay with my badn its 1/4...metis here is basically a joke i mean i had this friend of mine whos nothing but half scottish and half english and he enrollled withteh metis her ein ohio andim like whuh? ya aint even native i told him ...i jest dont understand why ppl dont get enrolled with their own nation...and if they cant get enrolled it doesn tmean the end of the world...yay i know that each dance style has a certain meaning to it and i seen some ppl who are native that jest go fer the money what about fun in dancing...my sisters and my brother wants to get out their and dance at all powwows but since their not registered they are limited to where they can dance...my brother he dances grass and anna dances fancy shawl....mary is just beginning to get into dancing....it just took her awhile which is okay..becca
Old 12-18-2003, 09:46 AM   #16
What Will Be Will Be

FancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond repute
People should dance for the joy it brings them, yes I agree.
But when you know you are just as ndn as a card holding ndn
and just as good if not better than a card holding ndn at dancing
then I don't think that's fair.
My views have changed on this subject after just sitting back and attending pow-wows and just watching for the last 3 years.
If I go to a pow-wow and contest against say a blonde-blue-eyed non-card holding, chreokee princess descendant(LOL) and she beats me! Well then I must suck! I need to work harder at it!!
If I get beat I want to get beat by a better dancer, not a darker skinned dancer!
Some of these pow-wow's nowadays boast about being " THE POW-WOW OF CHAMPIONS", well how do you knwo if they are the champions, if they not competing against everyone in their catergory? If you want to brag about beating them all, then contest against them all!

These opionins don't make me right, but your opionins don't make me wrong!
They are just opionins, and like butts everybody's got one!
Some big, some little! Some really stink too! :)

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?
Old 12-18-2003, 09:55 AM   #17
hidatsawmn26

to me wether or not being carded doesnt matter cuz i have probs i jest hate being asked itall the time cuz it gets annoying...i know i have alotta friends who have that problem and they usually bithc fer while then they can get in...my sisters had probs even jest being able to dance at grande entry cuz they aint registered..with my sister anna i think its about money to her but my sister mary im not so sure why she want to get out there and dance...my brother doesnt compete in grass because the meaning behind it...my grandpa taught him that cuz my gramps is a grass dancer...i told them if they're having a problem with jest dacning at grande entry there are other powwows where they wouldnt have to worry about..when i get out there to dance i jest dance despite wether or not a person doesnt like how i dance cuz i dont have any fancy moves...jest cuz they ***** about not being able to dance doesnt make them any less native....it jest means if their dancing only for the money they got their priorities screwed up...why i asked /posted this thred is cuz it gets annoying being asked all the time and im wondering if everybody has the same probs..becca
Old 12-18-2003, 09:58 AM   #18
Senior Dancer

Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
Okwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond reputeOkwataga has a reputation beyond repute
well your short so i think that counts against you.

if one is enrolled and someone else is not, but they have the same families does this make one less ndn?

now i understand about trying to keep the tree hugger type/ wannabees out and try to keep some kind of respect for a comp dance - but these people feel some need to dance with the natives okay. No one else on here or out there can tell you who you are and what you are and wether or not your ndn. you know where you come from and who your family is, take pride in your ancestry no matter where it comes from
Old 12-18-2003, 10:04 AM   #19
What Will Be Will Be

Damn IT!!! I AM NOT SHORT!!!!!!!!:Yell :Yell :Yell :Yell

Old 12-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #20
hidatsawmn26

yay im short im 5'0*rofl*...hay as my momma always says short is sexy...meaning if yar a woman and yar short its always good to think of yarself as being sexy....but thats going off the subject here...-becca
Sponsored Links