Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you have enough Plumes?
Way too little...I need more...whaaa!! 12 25.53%
I've got enought 23 48.94%
I could use more 10 21.28%
I've got a butt load on my head!! 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Can someone have too many Plumes? Can someone have too many Plumes?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #21
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Savings: 0.00
Now, I dance southern cloth, but I can see where you are coming from on the plume thing. I have 12 plumes, but not on my head at the same time. h aha I have 3 sets of four which I share with my two daughters. They are just eagle plumes, I do not fluff them up with fake fillers or anything and I keep them clean, and I love my plumes. Now I have seen some ladies, in all categories, wear a load of plumes on their heads and I am thinking...wow...look at that. But in this day and age, we exaggerate everything in the pow wow competition world and I have to admit I am guilty of that too(I tried to get away from flash and rhinestone and did pretty good for about two years but my new set of beadwork is pretty darn flashy.for my anyways..not by the standards of Cali or out west. h aha just kidding) So, what's next...full eagle fans on our heads? LOL
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2004, 05:31 PM   #22
is actually posting!

*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute*Kwe_Zee* has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00

Good one sltate. I get blinded by the pow-wow bling of some out west gear.
*Kwe_Zee* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2004, 06:13 AM   #23
~sup~

DeNeBaBe is an unknown quantity at this point
plumes

yes! plumes are really hard to come by and I get a bit green when I see dancers with their big beautiful plumes, but to get back to the question - how many plumes is 2 many plumes. i think that the more you have the better it looks, but seriously....how many eagles have to die in order to get all the many plumes that we want! thats seriously my question. i have one plume and im pretty pround of it. its kinda small and cute and just thinking about it makes me just smile. but all in all, every dancer has their own personal preference....so theres your answer :)
DeNeBaBe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2004, 09:21 PM   #24
I'm Yaqui --- Not YUCKY!!

JinglinBooty is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltate
So, what's next...full eagle fans on our heads? LOL

this might be a little too edgee for traditionalist but here it goes.....how about an eagle tail on the back of our heads? It could be kind of a reverse visor?!?!
JinglinBooty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2004, 09:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNeBaBe
yes! plumes are really hard to come by and I get a bit green when I see dancers with their big beautiful plumes, but to get back to the question - how many plumes is 2 many plumes. i think that the more you have the better it looks, but seriously....how many eagles have to die in order to get all the many plumes that we want! thats seriously my question. i have one plume and im pretty pround of it. its kinda small and cute and just thinking about it makes me just smile. but all in all, every dancer has their own personal preference....so theres your answer :)

I took the first plume I ever had and gave it to my little girl. She was still too young to have one, so her dad put it on his roach to honor her and so that plume would have a chance to "dance" in the air.

I think its ok to have a nice plume set, its just when I see thoese "rabbit ears" or anything that is pushing gaudy is when I draw the line.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:10 PM   #26
Pow Wow Dancer

walkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond reputewalkinsoftly has a reputation beyond repute
speaking of eagles dying...

somewhere out west there was 26 eagles found dead i think in B.C. sick man. i don't want to think it was for thier feathers but the dog who did it took all the essentials...(wings, tail, plumes & feet...) and just left the bodies...all sick like.

i think that you CAN wear too many plumes.....but to each his own...

...and i know you were probably joking about how many eagles need to die but that is a really good point because for every girl out there who has a full set of plumes that represents one dead bird you know? And really, not everyone knows when they recieve a feather how they were originally acquired. IF you do have plumes, i think regardless of how many you wear the bottom line is that it needs to be respected...i would NEVER EVER EVER leave my plumes laying around. When I first got them I was afraid to leave the house because I just couldn't believe I had a real set of spotted plumes.

long post, i know...sorry all...
walkinsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2005, 02:21 PM   #27
Junior Dancer

miss_shense is a glorious beacon of light
omigod, I heard about those eagles. Im pretty sure it was in B.C. and dannnng those poor eagles, I almost cried!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #28
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
i only have one nice set of (3) plumes for my oldest daughter (we got them when she was a baby from her uncle) and my second daughter has a small set of four (she got them from her dad's "hang downs" from his roach which he decided he didn't want to wear anymore) which are well suited for them. i took time to wrap them and i'm teaching them to keep care of them i told them they are like their grandmother - would you leave your grandma in her lawnchair during supper break? not sure what i'm gonna do when the youngest two start dancin which will probably be in like six years. but i do think that some womens' plumes are gettin out of hand - lookin like feather dusters on their heads.

but what really eerks me are girls that piece together like 50 or so (i'm only guessin on the amount here) small plumes on a stick - tryna to look like the women with the huge rabbit ear plumes. they just end up lookin sic on closer expection with all those little feathers stuck together - they only look like the big plumes from far away. eeerrrrrr!!!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #29
Gotta get dancin' again

rachelg196 has a spectacular aura about
Yes I do...

think some women out there are excessive. The plume you wear isn't a status symbol. Covering your head full of them doesn't look right, it would take away from the beauty of the dancer her dress and her dance.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #30
WillaDaKilla

woggs is a splendid one to beholdwoggs is a splendid one to beholdwoggs is a splendid one to behold
hehehe I posted that i could use more even tho I have enough..I've had some of my plumes since i was little, and some were given to me here and there, and some my dad gave me so i think i have enuff, maybe ill need them for a particular ceremony back at home, cuz if i wore them ALL at a powwow holy smokes I'D be bigbird!!
eyelashes: eyelashes:
eyelashes
woggs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2005, 10:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinsoftly
somewhere out west there was 26 eagles found dead i think in B.C. sick man. i don't want to think it was for thier feathers but the dog who did it took all the essentials...(wings, tail, plumes & feet...) and just left the bodies...all sick like.

WOW!!!! I"m a little startled because I've been focusing on finishing my degree (yeah I'm finally a college graduate! Here comes grad school!). When did this happen? Anyone have a newspaper link? I do not mean to be negative, but this is the first I've heard about it.

http://myspace.com/haaka
Old 03-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #32
(_.-'~*MiZz BeEbEz~*'-._)

MizOjibHokaJingler is on a distinguished road
Smile Whoa!

that thing about those eagles in b.c..thats really sad..i heard about that too...well i think have way too much...i have like 20 HUGE plumes..if i knew ya..i would give you some...i don't like to brag but i think i have too much..they don't look alot on my head but they are HEAVY!...anyways...and yes people..i did earn mine..i juss didn't give somebody $200 for them..i truly earned them...well i just wanted to say that some people juss try to deck themselves out with too much..like they need that much attention when they have beadwork like WHOA!..right..lolz..neways...thats all i wanted to say..

~^"-._.-"^~*yOu OnLy LiVe OnCe*~^"-._.-"^~
MizOjibHokaJingler is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #33
Pow Wow Visitor

sidejumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Plumes

Around these parts, the old timersused to say that a women was allowed only one plume or feather and it was to be worn on top of the head. I know that other tirbes have their won ways but thought I'd share mine with you.
Personally I think that too many plumes worn by a lady is like a person who dresses gaudy and like they want to be noticed and pointed at and talked about.
I always keep in mind that for every plume or feather there is an eagle, a winged relative who is no longer with us. It kinda humbles me to think of them as individuals us as we are inour families. when we lose someone we feel it. just as Eagles do.
Thanks and I hope you don't take aoffense. none intended
AHO!
sidejumper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2005, 01:56 AM   #34
Pow Wow Visitor

Ehosah is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool plumage

I like plumage. While I am not a man and not given the opportunity to carry the honor of my gender or even my family in combat I like seeing plumage on women.

While many of the girls I've seen carrying a plumage of bustle on their heads merit the grit and honor it takes to produce sons that would do such in honor of their family in battle, I feel that I've produce enough sons and raised them well enough that I can carry as many eagle feathers as I deem enough.

Perhaps these girls have it in them to produce sons; I don't think that I'm a judge of who has done this job well. Perhaps I envy the men with their wealth of plumage and no one to question their merit or what looks good, I only put this into question. Men are admire for different qualities while women are admired for qualities that only make them look good and the men they make look good.

E
Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #35
Cruisin Moccasin's

Shnawbay has a reputation beyond repute
Shnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation })i({

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinglinBooty
WOW!!!! I"m a little startled because I've been focusing on finishing my degree (yeah I'm finally a college graduate! Here comes grad school!). When did this happen? Anyone have a newspaper link? I do not mean to be negative, but this is the first I've heard about it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rce_login=true

Here is the link to that article in the globe and mail.. it was back in January.. i was stunned when i read it that day..

})i({ Berry Beautiful Blogs })i({
Shnawbay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2005, 12:51 PM   #36
Cruisin Moccasin's

Shnawbay has a reputation beyond repute
Shnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond reputeShnawbay has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation })i({ Eight more eagles found

Eight more eagles found slaughtered

Thursday, March 17, 2005 Updated at 6:23 PM EST

Canadian Press

Surrey, B.C. Another eight bald eagles have been found slaughtered in North Vancouver.

This bring the number of birds found dead in recent weeks to at least 50.

It's believed that feathers and talons from the birds are being sold on the black market.

Conservation officers found the remains of the latest birds in an advanced state of decomposition five kilometres west of where some of the other birds were found.

A reward of $10,000 is being offered in the case, with the money coming from the provincial government, the District of North Vancouver, the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation and the Humane Society.

The B.C. Conservation Service has also set up a task force of officers to investigate and has asked for help from the RCMP.

})i({ Berry Beautiful Blogs })i({
Shnawbay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links