Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Darn good discussion topic... Darn good discussion topic...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2001, 02:54 PM   #1
Gotz ta be me!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Smile Darn good discussion topic...

Hey yall,

I came up with a really good topic. Something I'm looking at right now. What have been your tougher lessons as a jingle dancer? What are you thankful for? I don't want to have to limit it just to us... but for now it's a start.

Humility. I am to be humble and when I'm dancing, I am. But how many of us carry that outside of the arena? Lord knows I try but some folks work your nerves!!!! hahahaha

:Music:Looooooooord it's hard to be humbleeeeeee, when yer perfect in everyyyyy waaaaaaay. LOLLOL just kiddin yall! Some folks will get it. :Tongue

I was sitting here and thinking of my dad, and how happy it made him to see me dance. How it healed him, how it healed me, and how it moved the people that have watched me. It's a good feeling when someone tells you that your dancing touched them. I never get the "I'm da bomb syndrome". I'm just glad that they enjoyed it.

When I think about all the things I have to be thankful for.... I'm overwhelmed. I was supposed to be a stillborn....but I made it. The doctors wanted my parents to donate me to science even though I was still alive.... I made it. After countless operations, the doctors said that I'd never walk right....I did. (a little limp but hey who cares) ;) When diagnosed with multiple myeloma, my dad was given three weeks to live...he was with me for five years. I'm being blessed with some of the most awesome people crossing my path. That's a good feeling and for that,,,, I'm soooooo thankful.

I don't know about you guys, but this was good medicine for me today. I just wanted to share.... you never know when someone else is needing to hear what you have to say. :)
Singing Otter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2001, 04:09 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

Shero is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 0.00
Thanks, Treena

I need to hear that today. My spirite is at an all time low, but you've just shine a light on it without even knowing.

Thanks again:)
Shero is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2001, 04:49 PM   #3
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Treena, you are so right - words can heal - just sharing your feelings have put a smile on my face, and I def understand - and I feel what you are saying, sis!!!! And you know this, girl!!!!! :D:D I for one, am very thankful you are here.

We are always tested, some more than others ;), and sometimes we need to remember that we are being tested, that there is a much bigger picture out there. And yes, I am repeating this to myself, ya'll.

When I am at the radio show, I never take it for granted that I can be replaced like snap!, you know? I enjoy it and want others to enjoy it and learn as well. I feel honored every time I sit behind the mike - I dig djing - cuz I feel like my grandma would really dig it, too! :D

In other words --- THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

Laterz....... :p
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2001, 07:13 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

Vicki is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Treena, I just want to tell you that I am very thankful that I had gotten to meet you in person back in May at the LIHA Powwow. I also just wanted to say that I am very thankful that I am able to dance jingle (both me and my sister) I think dancing is a gift. I wish my father was here to see it. But I know that he can see it even though he's not here. He passed away of cancer back in 1990 when I was only 7 and my sister was 5. He is the #1 person who I am dancing for. My mom asked me one time my reasons for dancing and I told her I dance in the memory of my father as well as my ancestors. I just wanted to share that w/ everyone. I'm not too good w/ writing things or let me say...typing things. :)
Old 10-30-2001, 07:17 PM   #5
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
U :Bomb :D

:Heart
Mato Winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2001, 08:27 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

creejingledress is an unknown quantity at this point
:Wave Hey everybody! I think dancing jingle has taught me some major lessons when it comes to having a healthy outlook towards myself and others. I've been through a lot when it comes to dancing-shyness, being scared, intimidated, nervousness, getting a false ego, getting mad when I didn't place, being thankful when I was picked, and being happy just to win. Mind you I've been experiencing all these emotions and feelings since I started dancing at a young age. I've learned a lot from all of this ...even the negative and I know there is a reason for it. When I was always feeling at my lowest I always remember what my mother told me...."to dance for all the people who can't ..my family,my grandmothers and grandfathers, and for those who are disabled...and to dance for myself....for my own healing...spiritual and emotional. :HeartAfter all that's what the jingle dress is for.:Thumbs
creejingledress is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2001, 01:02 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

MTsugirl is on a distinguished road
:Blush I know the lesson I learned from dancing was not to be so arrogant or try to think that your better than anyone else. ;) I started dancing when I was about six years old and I still remember the feeling I got from dancing during the contests. It was so exciting and it felt so good to be out there. Nothing will ever come close to that feeling. :) To even take part in dancing gave me a feeling of pride but never will I be arrogant about it. I danced for myself, my family, and my ancestors.
MTsugirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2001, 11:39 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Jingletodabeat is on a distinguished road
Cool Darn Good Discussion Topic!

Yes, why do we dance? I know everyone has their own personal reasons for dancing but I can't help but feel that sometimes people get so caught up in competition and the lure of that almighty dollar, that the real meaning of why they are dancing is lost, not for everyone, just some. I've almost lost my young son a few times with the open heart surgeries he's had to endure over his short 5 five years of life and I keep believing that the Creator is listening to me every time I put on my Jingle Dress to dance. If it wasn't for my dancing I don't think I could have been as strong as I have for my son. He is well for now so I thank the Creator for listening to my prayers everytime I dance.

Hiy Hiy!
Jingletodabeat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2001, 09:48 AM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

took a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond reputetook a look has a reputation beyond repute
I DANCE

FEEL ME DANCE
FOR MOTHER EARTH
WITH EVERY STEP A PRAYER....
I DANCE FOR THOSE
WHO CANNOT DANCE
TO LET THEM KNOW I CARE....
WATCH ME DANCE
FOR ALL MY ELDERS AND RELATIVES
THEIR SPIRITS I HOPE TO LIFT....
SEE ME MOVE,
I GIVE YOU THIS
ACCEPT MY SACRED GIFT....
I DANCE FOR YOU
MY FAMILY
COME AND SHARE MY LOVE....
I DANCE FOR THOSE
WHO I CARRY ON
WAITING UP ABOVE....
I DANCE FOR THOSE
WHO FEELING HURT
YET STILL REFUSE TO CRY....
I DANCE FOR YOU
GREAT SPIRIT
THE MIGHTY AND ALL KNOWING....
I DANCE FOR ALL
THE WOMEN
WHO KEEP THE WORLD GOING....
SO WHEN YOU
SEE ME DANCING
IT TRULY ISNíT I
ITS THE GREAT SPIRIT
WHO IS USING ME
TO HELP US ALL GET BY
took a look is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2001, 05:44 PM   #10
Riverwoman

I dance because I feel strong when I dance, I dance to help other people that may need it, and just because I enjoy it so much!:)

I have learned that I really have to "walk my talk" as a jingle dress dancer, such as carry myself well, be kind to others,and most of all respect for myself and the native way of life!
Also a alcohol and drug free life is a must, because how are you supposed to help other people places and things heal if you yourself are not of sound body and mind? ;) *IMHO*
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2004, 02:03 PM   #11
Shmiles With Eskimo Pride

nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
nt_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond reputent_inuk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,364.92
Quote:
Originally Posted by took a look
I DANCE

FEEL ME DANCE
FOR MOTHER EARTH
WITH EVERY STEP A PRAYER....
I DANCE FOR THOSE
WHO CANNOT DANCE
TO LET THEM KNOW I CARE....
WATCH ME DANCE
FOR ALL MY ELDERS AND RELATIVES
THEIR SPIRITS I HOPE TO LIFT....
SEE ME MOVE,
I GIVE YOU THIS
ACCEPT MY SACRED GIFT....
I DANCE FOR YOU
MY FAMILY
COME AND SHARE MY LOVE....
I DANCE FOR THOSE
WHO I CARRY ON
WAITING UP ABOVE....
I DANCE FOR THOSE
WHO FEELING HURT
YET STILL REFUSE TO CRY....
I DANCE FOR YOU
GREAT SPIRIT
THE MIGHTY AND ALL KNOWING....
I DANCE FOR ALL
THE WOMEN
WHO KEEP THE WORLD GOING....
SO WHEN YOU
SEE ME DANCING
IT TRULY ISNíT I
ITS THE GREAT SPIRIT
WHO IS USING ME
TO HELP US ALL GET BY
thank you for sharing this with us all

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
Join my on my face book fan page:
nt_inuk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2004, 01:32 AM   #12
Junior Dancer

beefy_cheefy is an unknown quantity at this point
I learned to dance in a way that makes me feel good because the creator made everyone different..and don't listen to those who criticize..and also. always have a good time while yer dancing cuz it doesn't always last forever!
beefy_cheefy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links