Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing FAQ's (Frequently asked questions) FAQ's (Frequently asked questions)

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Mean People Suck!!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~Jingle Pejuta~ is a splendid one to behold~Jingle Pejuta~ is a splendid one to behold~Jingle Pejuta~ is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
FAQ's (Frequently asked questions)

I thought I would start this so some of the great info here would be in one place.

The first one here is often asked about the dress construction. It has to do with the puffy (pouffy) sleeves.

Here are some good links about those.

http://powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=27575&highlight=puffy+sleeves

http://powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=14435&highlight=puffy+sleeves

http://powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=36075&highlight=puffy+sleeves

http://powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=14640&highlight=puffy+sleeves

~Jingle Pejuta~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

jingledancer92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 110.41
hi i'm a new jingle dress dancer and i'm working on my regalia. I have been doing a lot of research about the construction of the dress. I have found a lot of different information about the number of rows and the number of jingles. One-in-five sites will say that I should have 7 rows and 365 - 366 jingles. The other 4 will say it is up to me. How important is the number of jingles and the number of rows??? Is the 7/365 a "traditional" style that has changed because of Pow-wow's?

Thanks for any help and advice that you can offer.
jingledancer92 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,961.98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingledancer92 View Post
Thanks for any help and advice that you can offer.

Websites on subjects such as the jingle dress can often be "opinion sites."

If you want real answers. . .

Take the time to travel to jingle dress country. Watch and observe. Then take some tobacco to a Anishinaabe kwe elder and get to know them.

If the time seems right, ask your questions.
Violet Irene likes this.

Last edited by WhoMe; 06-01-2007 at 10:49 AM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Very goot answer

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Swan Lake Ojibway

ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 241.60
To be honest, I don't know where the 7/365 came from. When you see pictures of Ojibway women wearing jingle dresses back in the 30s, 40s, etc., you don't see them with 7 rows and 365 jingles. Their dresses had much smaller and thinner cones and they had about 3 or 4 rows.

I use the amount of jingles that are needed for the design.
MsMisty78 likes this.
ojibwaywmn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaywmn View Post
To be honest, I don't know where the 7/365 came from. When you see pictures of Ojibway women wearing jingle dresses back in the 30s, 40s, etc., you don't see them with 7 rows and 365 jingles. Their dresses had much smaller and thinner cones and they had about 3 or 4 rows.

Exactly.

I dunno where lots of these stories come from either. I heard a few say that they put one cone on their dress a day for a year. And some other "myths". Made 2 dresses this past weekend. I thought if that is the way its "supposed to be", I wouldn't be dancing for 2 years. lol. And I can't wait that long cuz, I ain't gettin any younger. ayyye
Violet Irene likes this.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
its me

pow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,859.38
I liked the answer you gave about the number of jingles on a dress, this past denver march powwow article in the paper said something about 365 cones and I never heard that till this past few months. A good friend of mine back in the day was slender and probably could have handled that many jingles but she never told me a story like that. And she was the only jingle dancer at the powwows in Los Angeles at that time, and she was a goot one too!
pow-wow person is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
PowWows.com Addicts

oh well...

Just keep on truckin' making beautiful dresses. If I could make one a week I would but my full time job don't allow it lol

Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 372.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie View Post
Exactly.

I dunno where lots of these stories come from either. I heard a few say that they put one cone on their dress a day for a year. And some other "myths". Made 2 dresses this past weekend. I thought if that is the way its "supposed to be", I wouldn't be dancing for 2 years. lol. And I can't wait that long cuz, I ain't gettin any younger. ayyye
wow 2 dresses in one weekend!!!??? one day i'll get there, it takes me half a day just to draw and cut out a pattern. havin my back injured while deployed doesn't help the sitiation any, i'm on my way ta recovery tho then that machine better watch out for me, i'll be oilin it every weekend, ayee
Old 06-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirapachegurl View Post
wow 2 dresses in one weekend!!!??? one day i'll get there, it takes me half a day just to draw and cut out a pattern. havin my back injured while deployed doesn't help the sitiation any, i'm on my way ta recovery tho then that machine better watch out for me, i'll be oilin it every weekend, ayee
I have two daughters who help with the design, cutting and heat and bonding and threading cones, etc. My oldest daughter used to help but she has since moved away and has her own family. We have our little assembly line going. But when they were little, I used to do ours by myself. Don't even ask how I did it, cuz it's a blur today. :|

Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
WANKALA

RiouxbySioux is an unknown quantity at this point
Old Jingle Dress

A friend of mine picked up an Jingle Dress out of a pawn shop in Mobridge South Dakota, i have a pic of it posted. But anyways, she gave it to me, and i have no clue what to do with it except maybe mend it a bit or maybe just make a new one out of it. Any feedback would be great and patience with me is a must, i am just learning about my culture. Would it be alright to disassemble it and make a new one out of it? The cones are pretty worn and of many different sizes. The dress is too small for me and i dont know what size it is, but i would guess it to be a large,ha ha ha it would fit me if i lose a few frybread pounds! But if nothing else i will mend it and re-sell it for 50 bucks. I am not a Jingle Dress dancer, my knees are to worn out to ever consider trying to learn, i would love to learn traditional though, not much movement going on there and thats more my style. lol. Thanks for reading. Have a wonderful day.... you know why? Cause thats all that matters is today...
Ruby

[IMG][/IMG]

SORRY I HAVE RESIZED THESE PHOTOS 3 TIMES AND THEY ARE STILL HUGE!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 AM   #12
PowWows.com Addicts

Riouxbie

You can take it apart and reconstruct a new one. I do that sometimes with my older dresses. Or, I add on designs here and there. :)

Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,751.64
Ahaw, you are so old that I'm surprised you could even get around the arena once with half a years worth of cones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie View Post
Exactly.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookout sh'nob View Post
Ahaw, you are so old that I'm surprised you could even get around the arena once with half a years worth of cones!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

CrownJewel is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

I was always told that you should have 365 cones. Each with a prayer for every day of the year. But unless you are a fairly good sized woman you'd be hrd pressed to fit that many. Plus I rrely see more than about 250. I think anymore it's what will fit on the dress. Plus the more cones the heavier the dress. I recently made new dresses for my dughter and niece for Denver March and this time I put less cones because the last ones I made for them were just to heavy. After dancing for a few minutes they really would start to feel the weight and it would tire them out quickly. So don't over do it but put enough on to look nice. I hate seeing jingle dresses with cones really far apart and very few.
CrownJewel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

Go with the flow, the design of the dress. Don't matter how many cones are on it....lots or few.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
its me

pow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,859.38
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaywmn View Post

That is a good answer I know people make up lots of stories bout natives and there is always another one I haven't heard ha ha but have a nice day and keep on dancing, give me the strength to dance - I've been lazy and putting it off but I want to dance again and I don't care if its old school or new school all I know is its a good one
pow-wow person is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

Walter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds goo to me
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #19
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,961.98
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownJewel View Post
I was always told that you should have 365 cones. Each with a prayer for every day of the year. But unless you are a fairly good sized woman you'd be hrd pressed to fit that many.

Crown,

365 cones for every day of the year? Hmmmm....

What if a contestant on The Biggest Loser ordered a dress. Would she require two years worth?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,751.64
I know I've stated this before, but as long as it keeps coming up, I'll keep repeating it ;).

Even if the tradition was one cone per day of the year (and it isn't), the traditional Ojibwe calendar is a 13-month sidereal calendar, which does not come out to 365 days in year. A sidereal month is the time it takes the moon to travel from one area of stars in the sky (a fixed point of reference) around the earth and back to that same point in the sky - which is approximately 27 days (27 d 7 h 43 min 4.7 s if you want to be really anal about it). 27 days times 13 months comes out to approximately 351 days in a year. Anishinaabe have always been reasoning, philosophical people who sought to understand as much as humanly possible about their world - so lets take a minute to calculate it exactly using the same numbers as modern science just to be sure. Again, 13 months multiplied by 27.321582 days comes out to 355.180566 days in the year- let's just call it 355. Still not 365.

So now we've indisputably dispelled the days in a year myth with both modern science and traditional knowledge.

Ahaw, Miigwech.