Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing FAQ's (Frequently asked questions) FAQ's (Frequently asked questions)

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
its me

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
pow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,859.38
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk789 View Post
I like to watch jungle dancing.I have been watch it many times in jungle.
Serious?
pow-wow person is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
Tiny Tot Dancer

Items Treasure ChestGuitar
Elo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond reputeElo Janis has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,333.95
I too have been thoroughly researching Jingle dresses as my niece is now ready to have a new one made and we (her, me and my mother) are all on opposite sides of the fence when it comes to material to use and number of cones to apply.
I read so many differing points of view about how many to put on and when discussed, it comes down to the fact that in Lakota society, there was never a thing as a jingle dress. From what I gather from my mom is it is not traditional to our tribe so any sort of tradition would not be applicable to her dress.
Gives her more ammo to use in the shiny man made fabric vs matte cotton that was used in her time for shawl dance dresses.
Elo Janis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
its me

pow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo Janis View Post
I too have been thoroughly researching Jingle dresses as my niece is now ready to have a new one made and we (her, me and my mother) are all on opposite sides of the fence when it comes to material to use and number of cones to apply.
I read so many differing points of view about how many to put on and when discussed, it comes down to the fact that in Lakota society, there was never a thing as a jingle dress. From what I gather from my mom is it is not traditional to our tribe so any sort of tradition would not be applicable to her dress.
Gives her more ammo to use in the shiny man made fabric vs matte cotton that was used in her time for shawl dance dresses.
Hi I know I am Lakota too but I do know the Ojibwe were the ones who were given the jingle dress as medicine and lot of girls like to jingle dance. When my grand daughters were little I did make them jingle dresses. You can use any material, calico cotton is used and satin is used -just about any material that looks nice right here on powwows.com there are a lot of pictures and it might be respectful if you think you want to talk to someone from Ojibwe tribe if you have a friend or someone from the Ojibwe ask them about it. Jingle dancing is a beautiful dance go to facebook or right here on this website. Some people get into the thing "oh you cant do this or dont do that" but if the child wants to dance then encouragement and support in what they want to do is good. There are many Lakota women who dance jingle and the amount of cones depends on the size of the child or dress. so say 50 for a little girl, 100+ for a girl about 7 or 8 years - ya know? but not spaced too far apart -look at pictures there is a lady at the denver march powwow who makes real nice ones and doesnt charge too much but you can make your own - like the lady said - 200 is about right, more or less, jingles for average size teengirl, my three cents -

Last edited by pow-wow person; 12-27-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: wrong number
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

goodrunner has a reputation beyond repute
goodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 798.17
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookout sh'nob View Post
I know I've stated this before, but as long as it keeps coming up, I'll keep repeating it ;).

Even if the tradition was one cone per day of the year (and it isn't), the traditional Ojibwe calendar is a 13-month sidereal calendar, which does not come out to 365 days in year. A sidereal month is the time it takes the moon to travel from one area of stars in the sky (a fixed point of reference) around the earth and back to that same point in the sky - which is approximately 27 days (27 d 7 h 43 min 4.7 s if you want to be really anal about it). 27 days times 13 months comes out to approximately 351 days in a year. Anishinaabe have always been reasoning, philosophical people who sought to understand as much as humanly possible about their world - so lets take a minute to calculate it exactly using the same numbers as modern science just to be sure. Again, 13 months multiplied by 27.321582 days comes out to 355.180566 days in the year- let's just call it 355. Still not 365.

So now we've indisputably dispelled the days in a year myth with both modern science and traditional knowledge.

Ahaw, Miigwech.
Awesome answer. Hopefully, the dress will be made this winter....aish....
goodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
its me

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrunner View Post
Awesome answer. Hopefully, the dress will be made this winter....aish....
I hope so all those numbers and calculations was pretty anal come on and just go dance and have a good time
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

goodrunner has a reputation beyond repute
goodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 798.17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk789 View Post
I like to watch jungle dancing.I have been watch it many times in jungle.
Hilarious!!!
goodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #27
Pow Wow Visitor

FLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond reputeFLhawk11 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 139.59
Old Style Jingle

What is the typical number of jingles for old style jingle? Is it personal preference?
FLhawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links