Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Handsewing Handsewing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
prettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,041.88
Savings: 0.00
Handsewing

My sewing machine gave up the ghost a few years ago, and since then I have been exclusively handsewing. Which was quick and simple for minor mending, but now I am making a new jingle dress.

I would have thought I'd hate this process, but I am finding it to be so comforting and healing. I'm wondering if anyone else out there does the majority of their work by hand?
prettydark is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

EquaySunshine has a reputation beyond repute
EquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,643.18
I pretty much see everything by hand. I do have a sewing machine but only use it to make curtains or other small things.

When it comes to clothes or purses I feel better knowing the strength of my thread. So I hand see everything. You can feel the tension when sewing by hand. And I get a better satisfaction knowing I made it. It is also noticeable that you made it by hand and not by a machine. It gives that homemade quality that beats machine work any day.

It does take quite a bit longer to sew by hand, but I don't mind that. I'm a beader and my mentor always told me that beading is like praying. You wouldn't rush your words to the Creator would you? :) it's the same for me when holding that needle and thread to sew a garment.
EquaySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
That's awesome! I'm afraid my momma started me on a sewing machine at age 6 and I never looked back....although she did sew a lot by hand, a lot of mending and even darning socks.

The FAMOUS quilter Jinny Beyer sews everything by hand, and the way she pieces her star quilts is totally backwards to me, but everything matches up better - star quilts having that darn diagonal bias issue.

So when you sew a seam, do you use a regular seam allowance? Do you sew with a running stitch, or a back stitch? Or a combination, starting with a back stitch and using the running stitch on the long stretches.

Do you use doubled thread, or single? I remember I used single thread when I started beading years ago, but switched to doubled to keep from losing needles.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

EquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond reputeEquaySunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
So when you sew a seam, do you use a regular seam allowance? Do you sew with a running stitch, or a back stitch? Or a combination, starting with a back stitch and using the running stitch on the long stretches.

Do you use doubled thread, or single? I remember I used single thread when I started beading years ago, but switched to doubled to keep from losing needles.
I alway do a running stitch...on pretty much everything. My spacing is the only thing that I switch up. I use a regular seam allowance for aprons and things like that. I also make my own bias tape that matches the accents. This I found to be quite time consuming. But in the end I like the finished product better. On aprons I use a leather needle and a doubled hand embroidery thread. It seems to do the trick and you can beat up the material and it won't come undone.

For small leather work my seam allowance is much smaller. Especially for mocs...you don't need half an inch for the allowance. So really it all depends on the project.

As for beading...I'm always a double thread person. I was taught this way so that how I do it. After pulling the thread through the beads and fabric so many times it wears at the strength the of thread. So with doubled the thread and conditioning with bees wax this helps the strength and gives the beadwork a longer life.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
were home

Items GuitarElephantPresentPresent
Credits: 30,091.23
Savings: 1.00
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
hi yall jumping in with yall on this thread im glad both of you know what your talking about ,maybe i can learn something.i have a sewing machine but i don't know how to thread it, so i hand sew every thing Thomas hand sews also ,anyway we made his grandson grass out fit it was simple, my daughter and i cut out the yolk and aprons for the fringe we used that iron on type of tape, we cut the ribbon and lined the lamay , the Thomas did the rest, anyway i found some nice silk for me and lines it by hand then sew by hand and the seams were puckered on the sides soo i gave up it was pretty and im wondering what i did wrong there any words about how could have sewn the two parts together for the skirt i was making ?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

Well I guess the question is how did you try to sew your fabric? Did you pin the pieces together? Was the silk a stretchy fabric or did it pretty much have no give to it?

You always want to pin your pieces together with sewing head pins. And be aware of the tension you use when sewing. It should be consistent. You don't want to pull your thread too tight on some places and keep it loose in others.

Did you iron your seams so they fold over and then sew them together? This helps so the fabric doesn't start to fray and it also helps the strength of the seam so when you're wearing it is doesn't pull apart.

Silk is a tricky fabric to sew. For me it is at least. And you want to make sure you are using the right thread.

You can look up your sewing machine model online and find a manual.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
were home

2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
thank you im still trying to wrap my mind around putting the seams together and what kind of tenshion i had, i was not working with a pattarn i just cut to my spck ..the lining was so easy just when i sewed them to gether it got i couldnot use it...i will try to keep up with this thread, i might learn somthing it will sink in sooner or later thank you :)

Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 10-02-2012 at 08:37 PM..
2lineCarrandMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

prettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond reputeprettydark has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post

I usually use a regular seam allowance, and a single thread, with a backstitch, I find it is sturdier than a running stitch and there is less possible shifting and puckering this way.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
I sew all my button blankets and button vests by hand... even sew on the zillion buttons by hand...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
I do a combo: I sew seams on the machine and hem by hand. Ribbon edging I usually do by hand.
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
The first jingle dress I ever made was sewn entirely by hand. When I sold it 12 years later, it was still in great shape with all the stitching intact. It sure took awhile to make, though.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
were home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechy View Post
The first jingle dress I ever made was sewn entirely by hand. When I sold it 12 years later, it was still in great shape with all the stitching intact. It sure took awhile to make, though.
Thats wonderful .
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

My handsewn dress is almost done. I know it's taken forever but I've been busy. But I think today is the day!!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Wow, that's awesome! Way to stick-with-it!!